Lithuanian National Team 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lithuanian National Team 2013

Today it was announced that Jonas Kazlauskas will be hired to coach our team until 2016. So I thought it's appropriate to start a new thread with these news. I think we'll all agree that he was the best possible candidate.

With Kaukėnas, Jasikevičius, Songaila retiring, the true change of generations is about to happen. Which players do you think we'll see in Eurobasket 2013?

Originally posted by Gytaz View Post
    Today it was announced that Jonas Kazlauskas will be hired to coach our team until 2016. So I thought it's appropriate to start a new thread with these news. I think we'll all agree that he was the best possible candidate.

With Kaukėnas, Jasikevičius, Songaila retiring, the true change of generations is about to happen. Which players do you think we'll see in Eurobasket 2013?
    That songaila is retiring he said it himself.Kaukenas couple weeks ago said he didnt say he is retiring,but he understands that he is one of the oldest players,but he said we will see.Jasikevicius said many times never wont say officialy im retired from national team,summer will come and he will make desicion.These was balciunas words about this 3 retiring after olimpic games,but only one of them admited that...

Look what kazlauskas said today : there are alot of tournaments for youngsters to show their best games.But my filosophy best players should play...I think our team will be younger,but i dont think we gonna see cizauskas or ulanovas age players next summer.

I believe we can something like that LIETUVA 2013

Valanciunas,Javtokas
    Kleiza,Jankunas,Motiejunas
    Maciulis,Jasaitis
    Pocius,Seibutis,Gecevicius
    Kalnietis

im almost sure this 11 gonna be in the team (if no injurys happens) and there left one spot for pointguard.The hardest spot to fill up for us.Juskevicius,Dulkys,cizauskas ? or one of the older guards will play ? So basically 9 players played and this summer...so i dont see a new generation coming or something.We will add some younger legs (gecevicius and juskevicius) instead kaukenas and jasikevicius and Motiejunas basically thats it.I dont see any big revolution coming up.WE juts dont have too many euroleague level players.8-9 player will the same as in 2012.Because in 2010 and 2012 were very similiar players,people just like to say we were old just because we had 3 (34-35-36)veterans?

Comment

Originally posted by Shawshank View Post
      I believe we can something like that LIETUVA 2013

Valanciunas,Javtokas
      Kleiza,Jankunas,Motiejunas
      Maciulis,Jasaitis
      Pocius,Seibutis,Gecevicius
      Kalnietis
      I have no problem with that line up plus one. It should be a medal threat anyway.

Comment

I expect something like this:

C: Valančiūnas (playing big minutes despite mistakes), Javtokas
        PF: Motiejunas, Kleiza (if 100% healty, rest him if not), Jankunas
        SF: Mačiulis, Jasaitis (M.Kuzminskas if any of them has injury issues)
        SG: Pocius, Gecevičius, Seibutis (Don't see serious competition here yet and surely not freakin' Dulkys)
        PG: Kalnietis, Juškevičius (would like to see Čižauskas and Janavičius fighting for the spot with Juškevičius, but it's a MUST to go with new point guard in Slovenia)

Players that also shoud be invited in the camp: Kavaliauskas, Egidijus Mockevičius, Gilvydas Biruta, Kupšas, Edgaras Ulanovas, Redikas.

This Eurobasket is for tanking as Americans say. We can let young players mess around and learn from their mistakes. At this point, the game should be based on Valančiūnas and Motiejūnas. Both complement each other perfectly (theoretically). Hopefully Kazlauskas will know how to use Gecevičius. He is the best shooter we have.

I would like to see Ulanovas in the NT already. I think he's our future SF and I have a feeling he's more or less ready to go.
        LTU NT will snatch Eurobasket 2029 title with this roster:

Jokubaitis, Marciulionis, Laurencikas
        Indrusaitis, Brazdeikis, Rubstavicius
        Buzelis, Lelevicius
        Murauskas, Sirvydis
        Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Originally posted by Straight forward View Post
          (would like to see Čižauskas and Janavičius fighting for the spot with Juškevičius, but it's a MUST to go with new point guard in Slovenia)
          I agree. Kazlauskas must absolutely, positively start breaking in a new PG for the national team.

Comment

My prediction:

C: Valanciunas, Javtokas
            PF: Kleiza, Motiejunas, Jankunas
            SF: Maciulis, Jasaitis
            SG: Pocius, Seibutis, Gecevicius (Dulkys is disappointing me)
            PG: Kalnietis, Cizauskas (Juskevicius will be a bench warmer in Zalgiris. He better have went abroad.)

Other candidates in case of injuries: Delininkaitis, Ulanovas, Kupsas, Juskevicius, Orelikas, maybe Dulkys for emergencies
            Last edited by macleopard13; 10-20-2012, 04:23 PM.

Comment

Positives so far in the season:

Jonas Mačiulis beasting again and resembles Mačiulis of WC 2010. 10,8 ppg and 4,8 rebounds in Euroleague for PAO.
              Jonas Valančiūnas is playing well as a rookie for Raptors.
              Adas Juškevičius despite limited playing time is doing well for Žalgiris and I think he has the best chance to be a back up for Kalnietis this upcoming summer.
              Edgaras Ulanivas is rock solid in one of better LKL teams as a starter. 11.5 ppg and 6 rebounds. I think he deserves to be invited to the camp.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
              Murauskas, Sirvydis
              Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Positives so far in the season:

Jonas Mačiulis beasting again and resembles Mačiulis of WC 2010. 10,8 ppg and 4,8 rebounds in Euroleague for PAO.
                Jonas Valančiūnas is playing well as a rookie for Raptors.
                Adas Juškevičius despite limited playing time is doing well for Žalgiris and I think he has the best chance to be a back up for Kalnietis this upcoming summer.
                Edgaras Ulanivas is rock solid in one of better LKL teams as a starter. 11.5 ppg and 6 rebounds. I think he deserves to be invited to the camp.

Don't forget Orelikas. The guy's averaging 19.6 PPG in 24 minutes in LKL, with 77% (17/22) 2PT shooting, 63% (15/24) 3PT shooting and 95% (19/20) FT shooting. Besides that, he had 26 points (7/10 2PT, 4/7 3PT) today against Hapoel in EuroCup. He's the primary reason why Prienai are doing so well this season. He's an offensive threat to both Zalgiris and Rytas, in my opinion. He DEFINITELY deserves to be invited into the camp.

Comment

Originally posted by macleopard13 View Post
                  Don't forget Orelikas. The guy's averaging 19.6 PPG in 24 minutes in LKL, with 77% (17/22) 2PT shooting, 63% (15/24) 3PT shooting and 95% (19/20) FT shooting. Besides that, he had 26 points (7/10 2PT, 4/7 3PT) today against Hapoel in EuroCup. He's the primary reason why Prienai are doing so well this season. He's an offensive threat to both Zalgiris and Rytas, in my opinion. He DEFINITELY deserves to be invited into the camp.
                  I don't see him being NT material. Too slow, too unathletic for his position. Could be interesting as a small 4, but he's not big or strong enough neither.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                  Murauskas, Sirvydis
                  Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

I don't see him being NT material. Too slow, too unathletic for his position. Could be interesting as a small 4, but he's not big or strong enough neither.
                    I'd invite him anyway and give him a chance. He is pretty slow, but he's also a terrific three-point shooter (maybe even better than Jasaitis) that cleaned up his individualistic attitude a little bit. And pretty consistent too.

I'm keeping tabs on the following players:
                    * Valanciunas - great debut for a 20-year-old.
                    * Kleiza - decent game yesterday; let's just hope he keeps it up
                    * Motiejunas - best of luck to him getting back to the NBA; he needs high-level competition!
                    * Maciulis - great performance so far in Euroleague. He's back in shape!
                    * Pocius - in shape and ready for running-and-gunning, as always.
                    * Orelikas - proven himself a leader so far in LKL. Keep doing what you're doing!
                    * Ulanovas - good start. I wish he played for a stronger team though .
                    * Kalnietis - decent performance so far for an average Russian team.
                    * Jasaitis - while not in his best shape yet, he's better than he was this summer.
                    * Javtokas - injured. When is he coming back?
                    * Jankunas - the only player who regressed a little since the Olympics. Are the brothers overshadowing him?
                    * Cizauskas - not a good start, but he's a rookie abroad. If he doesn't show some solid game, however, I don't see him being invited this year.
                    * Delininkaitis - not playing. Find a club, Delnas!
                    * Seibutis - without him, Rytas would be trashed by just about every Euroleague team. Okay shape thus far.
                    * Gecevicius - a benchwarmer like Pocius, but definitely less efficient than him. Hasn't been in shape since he left Rytas. Don't see him being invited.
                    * Juskevicius - needs more minutes and experience! Nabbing Jaaber was a bad idea for the future of our national team!
                    * Bareika - he's a senior NCAA point guard. Too early to tell if he should be invited, though.

Lineup (if no injuries, 80% sure):
                    C: Valanciunas
                    PF: Kleiza, Motiejunas, Jankunas
                    SF: Maciulis, Jasaitis
                    SG: Pocius, Seibutis
                    PG: Kalnietis

Help wanted: a physical center; a crafty or fast (or both) point guard.

Comment

Oh my, chubby Orelikas as NT 2013 material... I guess some statistical beasts in mighty LKL like Kieza, Varnelis should be angry for not getting a chance on their prime when they were rocking the league

Help wanted: a physical center; a crafty or fast (or both) point guard.
                      I would go with Matulis and Mazutis

Comment

All right, Lithuania will play against Latvia, Macedonia, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Serbia and Montenegro.

All five are tough opponents. We always have close matches against Latvia. There's some chance for an upset. We ought to be able to defeat Macedonia - we're thirsty for revenge. Bosnia & Herzegovina are also not unstoppable. Serbia's a toughie. Montenegro too - they went 10-0 in the qualifying tournament. We can't kid around with those two teams.

What we need: speed and some strength. We can't afford to bring many veterans. No more than two vets (30+ year-olds).

Comment

Kazlauskas' early candidates at PG are: Kalnietis, Janavicius, Juskevicius, Cizauskas and Vasiliauskas.

Kalnietis will start, but who will replace him? I think it's time for us to build a new PG out of one of those options (meaning, consistently inviting one PG into the team, giving him lots of opportunities to make mistakes + adjustments, teaching him, and then start relying on him in a couple of years. Isn't that what we did with Jasikevicius? He started out in 1997 as a mediocre PG, and look what he developed into). Since Cizauskas and Juskevicius have the most potential left, I would pick either one of them to replace Kalnietis.

Comment

Kazlauskas' early candidates at PG are: Kalnietis, Janavicius, Juskevicius, Cizauskas and Vasiliauskas.

Kalnietis will start, but who will replace him? I think it's time for us to build a new PG out of one of those options (meaning, consistently inviting one PG into the team, giving him lots of opportunities to make mistakes + adjustments, teaching him, and then start relying on him in a couple of years. Isn't that what we did with Jasikevicius? He started out in 1997 as a mediocre PG, and look what he developed into). Since Cizauskas and Juskevicius have the most potential left, I would pick either one of them to replace Kalnietis.
                            as long as we have a PG, capable of feeding our two star bigmen Valanciunas and Motiejunas, we'll be fine in a long run...I'm sure Kazlauskas is sensible enough to build a team arround these two talents. PG position is our weak link, but we need to maximize our strong frontline and it's potential to mask our weaknesses. These 2 guys will be a difference makers on the court, with others providing a role playing support for them. I can see our team as a lesser version of Spain NT with Gasol bros in a near future...too bad we don't have any guard close to Rubio talent though

Comment

Kazlauskas is decent coach, the best our coach in 20+ years I follow the game, but even a magician wouldn't make Cizauskas or Juskevicius anything close to what Saras was. Charisma, leadership, feel of the game is smth you can't learn, it's smth you are born with. Add to this decent shooting touch, court vision, passing abilities. All those current PGs 4 combined wouldn't be on the same level Saras was.
                              Anyways, to be precise and not takin' anything away from Kazlauskas, as he had big impact on Saras career, but the breakthrought year of Saras was in Olimpija under Sagadin. In less than a year span from very talented and ambicious player we have got a true leader and top PG for 2000 Olympics. I remember Barca signed Saras even before the season was over with 5 times bigger salary offer than he earned in Olimpija. I guess they knew that his value would increase drastically after Sidney and they were right

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information