No announcement yet.

2014 Team USA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mike Krzyzewski won't return to coach Team USA.

ESPN | Mike Krzyzewski: 'It's been an honor

FOX Sports | Krzyzewski ending tenure as US coach
    Sacramento Kings
    HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

Comment

Golden State's David Lee wants to play for Team USA.

This and other rumors on players and coach here .

Comment

After missing the 2012 London Olympics, Dwight Howard expressed interest in suiting up for the 2016 Rio Olympics. I would have fancied Howard aiming for next year as the closest thing for redemption is the 2014 FIBA World Cup. Howard is also a part of the 2006 Team USA in Saitama, Japan.

Howard seeks 2016 Olympics
        Sacramento Kings

Comment

San Antonio Spurs head coach Gregg Popovich is interested to coach Team USA in next year's 2014 FIBA World Cup.

SB Nation | Popovich interested to coach Team USA

Project Spurs | Pops weighing for Team USA coaching job
          Sacramento Kings

Comment

Gregg Popovich or Doc Rivers for Team USA?
            Sacramento Kings

Comment

On Doc Rivers for Team USA: Celtics Hub | Will Doc Rivers coach Team USA

On Gregg Popovich for Team USA: My San Antonio | Popovich open for 2014 and 2016
              Sacramento Kings

Comment

USA - Candidates emerge for American squad

COLORADO SPRINGS (FIBA Basketball World Cup) - The United States do not have to play qualifying games this summer for the 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup.

By winning the Olympic gold medal for the second time in a row last summer, the Americans punched their ticket for Spain.

While they will not be taking part in the 2013 FIBA Americas Championship, the USA certainly won't be standing pat.

A mini-camp for Team USA prospects is tentatively scheduled to be held in Las Vegas in July (23-27).

The likelihood is that 20 or so players will be invited to participate, with the camp serving as the first step in forming the 2013-16 national team roster.

Which players will play for the Americans at the FIBA Basketball World Cup?

David Lee, who has been in the USA set-up before but has yet to appear in a major tournament, has put himself in a strong position.

The 2.06m power forward/center has averaged 18.9 points and 11.3 rebounds this season for a Golden State Warriors team that has won 34 games and lost just 27.

They have the sixth best record in the Western Conference.

USA Basketball Chairman Jerry Colangelo was recently asked about Lee in an interview with FoxSports.com, and he revealed the player informed him during the NBA All-Star festivities in Houston that he wanted to play for the national team.

"He's had a heck of a year," Colangelo said.

"He's been healthy. He’s been with us before but he had injuries."

A couple of other players look to have sewn up their invitations to the mini-camp.

Damian Lillard has been sensational for Portland and Kyrie Irving has thrived in his second season with Cleveland.

"Damian is definitely on our radar," Colangelo told CSNNW.com.

"He's one of the bright young stars we have in this game and certainly his chances are very high that he makes our list."

As for Irving, Colangelo said to Ohio.com: "You can be assured that he’ll be one of the invitees.

"He's already established himself as one of the top three or four point guards in the league."
                -FIBA
                Sacramento Kings

Comment

Poppovich is one hell of a coach and so is Doc Rivers, i personally have a bias(as in i prefer pops) for Poppovich and his methods..but im not so sure it would work well for a temporary set up unless it's one of those things where poppovich takes the tenure as long as coach k has done 2006-2012. if you look at the spurs set up/performance they always seem to chug along, just barely enough to win or lose. then towards the end they really kick it up a notch and blast their way through. could this work and would i want this style for teamUSA, im not so sure?
                  USA has always been about guns blazing and winning big in the beginning to giv this edge/intimidation factor to others(however little it has had affect over the years) it is our street-cred-coda. look @ 2000,2002,2004,2006 the gears werent jumping high in the beginning stages(there someone could argue against this) and so the bigger/powerhouse teams werent as intimidated by teamUSA.

now if you compare 2008-2012 onwards teamUSA has always been hit hard, hit fast, hit often mentality of their opponents and once they have got them soundly beat, then throttle down(unless you are Spain). We definitely have the guys to play such a high paced basketball game, why change it with poppovich's style which is more "buy into his system (offensively)" it takes time before things click in. Coach k's philophy however was "give the guys more freedom in the offensive scheme, let them do what they want(within reason) so long as you play good defense).

the biggest thing poppovich has over doc rivers is that he is more seasoned as a coach, has had exposure to intl players, and poppovich loves his mind games, and not caring about what others think.

i dont know when i think of poppovich coaching internationally, the image that popped into my mind was coach blatt of teamRUSSIA.

I can't believe I am about to say this, because I absolutely despise the guy as a coach or his persona..but...Coach Calipari, is someone i'd nominate as head coach of teamUSA his style in the offensive end has always been hit hard, hit fast, hit often. and with nba superstars the defensive end can take care of itself(hopefully)
                  "A nationality that easily feels wronged is an insecure one, and one that will be difficult to progress."-Anonymous

Comment

For my part, I am not sure of both Popovich and Doc Rivers. Rivers runs a four man flex as his offense while Popovich has gradually transitioned from a strong center block - double high motion into the modern transition game in his offense. Players from both mentors need time to get around their respective offensive schemes; something that the new ensemble of Team USA won't be able to fully grasp given our usual time frame of national team preparations.

John Calipari and his Dribble Drive Offense is a good measure for Team USA. We have guys around the corner like Kyrie Irving and Damian Lillard who will find it much easier and less complicated to grasp. The beauty of Calipari's read and react offense is that it can turn into a pressurized offense if the team bites into the 2-1-2 crash boards. Similar to Coach K's line break crash boards mentality that places an emphasis of forcing the tempo every 3-2 or below advantage on the break.

Plus the next generation of our potential front-liners like Lamarcus Aldridge and David Lee will find it much easier to play in a reverse pin situation after the initial screen and roll from one of our baseline drivers.
                    Sacramento Kings

Comment

Philadelphia 76ers head coach Doug Collins is interested in the assistant coach position for Team USA.

Collins interested in Team USA assistant role

If Popovich is the head coach, that will make Popovich and Collins as an odd pairing. While I feel that Collins and Rivers would jive well as the latter attributes Collins as among his coaching influences. Rivers used to run a four man flex with the Celtics when Ray Allen was around. It made Rondo as the offman that will read on how the defense reacts based in the situations caused by constant screen and ducks. This season, Collins took cue with that four man flex setup as he did implement it with Jrue Holiday being the offman and designated reader against the defense.

Both allow their point guards with much generalship. Aside from ball distribution, Rondo / Holiday are encouraged to drive in the defensive stop gaps in the opposing teams as either a false action or a quick attack opportunity.
                      Sacramento Kings

Comment

Doing anything other than what K let them do on offense would be crazy. Just spend the practice time trying to get them to play acceptable defense.
                        Originally posted by Fedfan
                        Most ppl get childish when they lose.
                        Originally posted by GuTO
                        refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

Comment

Andre Iguodala wants to suit up for Team USA in 2014 and 2016.

Iguodala sure on Team USA
                          Sacramento Kings

Comment

With the way Stephen Curry is playing this season and is a huge component for the Warriors in making the post-season, I remember how Curry felt on being left out of the London Olympics player pool. That season, Curry was off and injured and was experiencing career lows in production.

Curry disappointed with Olympics omission

Maybe next year, Curry will be considered once more. He was a part of the gold winning team in Turkey during the 2010 World championships.
                            Sacramento Kings

Comment

Potential 2014 USA Basketball Team

Unless USA Basketball can lure the big name veterans to play in Spain next year, the next US team will be significantly younger and less experienced for the 2014 World Cup. I've got a few names that might be a part of the equation next summer:

G- Kyrie Irving--Cleveland
                              G- Mike Conley, Jr.--Memphis
                              G- Stephen Curry--Golden State
                              G- Jrue Holiday--Philadelphia

F- Kenneth Faried--Denver
                              F- Clay Thompson--Golden State
                              F- Paul George--Indiana
                              F- Zach Randolph--Memphis
                              F- Earl Clark--LA Lakers
                              F- Kawhi Leonard--San Antonio

C- Brook Lopez--Brooklyn
                              C/F- Greg Monroe--Detroit

Reserves:

G- Damian Lillard--Portland
                              C/F- David Lee--Golden State
                              F- DeMarcus Cousins--Sacramento

Comment

From what I gathered from over the months of searching:

Deron Williams - He is open to the possibility of suiting up in the world championships.

Lamarcus Aldridge - A lower back injury prevented him from participating in the London Olympics, but come 2014, he is interested.

Andre Iguodala - Iguodala is interested in the worlds and Rio Olympics.

Kyrie Irving - I think he is a lock. Team USA even reached out to him in not suiting up for Australia.

Players that are in the radar of Team USA:

Paul George - His improving play has attracted the attention of Colangelo.

Brad Beal - His rookie season has also netted some comments from Colangelo.

Damian Lillard - Also in the radar as Colangelo and the rest are keeping tabs.

Players I personally want to see:

Klay Thompson
                                Kenneth Faried
                                Stephen Curry
                                Anthony Davis
                                Sacramento Kings

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information