Domantas Sabonis thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by macleopard13 View Post
    I picture the NCAA as a bad place to develop because so many Lithuanian players' careers failed to take off after they left the NCAA. Countless prospective Lithuanians (Kavaliauskas, Katelynas, Dulkys, Zavackas, etc.) ended up in LKL/Eastern European basketball clubs because of limited playing time/positional changes. For example, Bareika entered the NCAA as a prospective Lithuanian PG in 2009 (I think). Now, he'll be leaving as a SF. Is that how talents should be developed?
    Because they are what they are. You are mentioning average players. We can mention Songaila, Kleiza, Jasikevičius, Kaukėnas, Karnišovas. All of them had an amazing careers in Europe, or solid careers in NBA.
    LTU NT will snatch Eurobasket 2029 title with this roster:

Jokubaitis, Marciulionis, Laurencikas
    Indrusaitis, Brazdeikis, Rubstavicius
    Buzelis, Lelevicius
    Murauskas, Sirvydis
    Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Originally posted by Straight forward View Post
      Because they are what they are. You are mentioning average players. We can mention Songaila, Kleiza, Jasikevičius, Kaukėnas, Karnišovas. All of them had an amazing careers in Europe, or solid careers in NBA.
      Yes, those players' (Kavaliauskas, Zavackas) talent-level just cannot compare to the likes of Kleiza, Jasikevicous, Karnisovas or Domantas.

I think you might be underestimating just how talented Domantas actually is. He is a rebounding machine (rebounds better than a lot of C's) with an already quite polished post move arsenal. Also, he's already 6'10 (208 cm) and will probably grow even more. Any college coach would be dumb to be prejudice against him and not give him a chance. I mean he's Sabonis' son too. So I'm not worried about him not getting playing time in college. In my opinion, if he's good enough to play in ACB, he's good enough to dominate NCAA. Just imagine if Jonas Valanciunas would have played in NCAA. I can't imagine him not crushing that competition. And I don't think Jonas is all that more talented than Domantas. The only glaring weakness in Domantas' game right now is his shooting touch. That's about it.

Comment

Originally posted by omgsomuchpotential View Post
        I think you might be underestimating just how talented Domantas actually is. He is a rebounding machine (rebounds better than a lot of C's) with an already quite polished post move arsenal. Also, he's already 6'10 (208 cm) and will probably grow even more. Any college coach would be dumb to be prejudice against him and not give him a chance. I mean he's Sabonis' son too. So I'm not worried about him not getting playing time in college. In my opinion, if he's good enough to play in ACB, he's good enough to dominate NCAA. Just imagine if Jonas Valanciunas would have played in NCAA. I can't imagine him not crushing that competition. And I don't think Jonas is all that more talented than Domantas. The only glaring weakness in Domantas' game right now is his shooting touch. That's about it.
        Domantas is kinda following Valančiūnas at the moment. Both started to play for high class pro level club being 17yo. Valančiūnas was more dominant in U- level, but as you said Domantas rebounding stats are stunning (besides Jonas had better team around him). I wonder if Domantas really have NBA level athleticism, that's the biggest issue probably. But he's more crafty than JV, has better coust vision, better passing skills. At the worst case scenario I see him as a top level Euroleague's player, at the best - rather high NBA draft pick. Don't really have a picture yet, hope to see him a bit in the pro level this season.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
        Murauskas, Sirvydis
        Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Even some of those that you mention didn't dominate in the NCAA. Kaukenas averaged 13.2 PPG, 3.5 RPG, 2.1 APG in 30 MPG his senior year. Jasikevicius averaged 12.4 PPG, 3.3 RPG, 3.6 APG in 29 MPG his senior year. They probably had some ballhoggers on the team, and I don't want Sabonis to be around those kinds of players. He needs to polish his offensive skills (shooting touch, free throws), and he'll never develop them if he doesn't get the ball often. You know, in Europe, he's well known because of his father and dominance in the U-tournament, but here in the NBA/NCAA, most people won't know who his father was, so they won't give a damn. I'm all for his development in Spain until he gets drafted.

Comment

Even some of those that you mention didn't dominate in the NCAA. Kaukenas averaged 13.2 PPG, 3.5 RPG, 2.1 APG in 30 MPG his senior year. Jasikevicius averaged 12.4 PPG, 3.3 RPG, 3.6 APG in 29 MPG his senior year. They probably had some ballhoggers on the team, and I don't want Sabonis to be around those kinds of players. He needs to polish his offensive skills (shooting touch, free throws), and he'll never develop them if he doesn't get the ball often. You know, in Europe, he's well known because of his father and dominance in the U-tournament, but here in the NBA/NCAA, most people won't know who his father was, so they won't give a damn. I'm all for his development in Spain until he gets drafted.
            What? Those are great stats!

I don't know all the NCAA kitchen that well, but talented players find their ways to stand out. I think Domantas would choose NCAA as the better transition to NBA. Otherwise it's stange to leave hometown, strong team, good coach.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
            Murauskas, Sirvydis
            Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

What? Those are great stats!

I don't know all the NCAA kitchen that well, but talented players find their ways to stand out. I think Domantas would choose NCAA as the better transition to NBA. Otherwise it's stange to leave hometown, strong team, good coach.
              Those are great, but not stellar, stats. As I said, only Songaila, Kleiza and Karnisovas truly dominated the NCAA.

Let's hope he makes the right decision. I don't know, maybe he'll have a good coach, good teammates and good trainers that will help him in his offensive game. There's no doubt that he will dominate defensively, so he won't need much help there (except maybe to keep fouls in check). Also, Portland's not the best city to live in - a lot of illegal drug users...

Comment

Those are great, but not stellar, stats. As I said, only Songaila, Kleiza and Karnisovas truly dominated the NCAA.

Let's hope he makes the right decision. I don't know, maybe he'll have a good coach, good teammates and good trainers that will help him in his offensive game. There's no doubt that he will dominate defensively, so he won't need much help there (except maybe to keep fouls in check). Also, Portland's not the best city to live in - a lot of illegal drug users...
                There's a lot of potheads in Portland - yes, but so is the case in the NBA. 90% of NBA players are potheads.

Comment

Originally posted by omgsomuchpotential View Post
                  Yes, those players' (Kavaliauskas, Zavackas) talent-level just cannot compare to the likes of Kleiza, Jasikevicous, Karnisovas or Domantas.
                  1998 u'18 Final Round
                  Zavackas 18.1 pt, 3p-52%; Macijauskas 13.3 pt; Javtokas 7.1 pt
                  The Moon Is A SCAM(http://www.revisionism.nl/Moon/The-Mad-Revisionist.htm)!

Comment

Also, Portland's not the best city to live in - a lot of illegal drug users....
                    I thought Portland had a reputation as being a white collar middle class city with a relatively low crime rate among a peer group of cities with major league sports franchises in the States.

I still think his father should try to get Domantas into a summer school program at Oxford or Cambridge if he really wants his son to get an education while at the same time pursuing a basketball career. The only alternative would be to enroll at an Ivy League school in the states such as Harvard, Yale or Princeton but admittedly those certainly aren't basketball factories.

Comment

I picture the NCAA as a bad place to develop because so many Lithuanian players' careers failed to take off after they left the NCAA. Countless prospective Lithuanians (Kavaliauskas, Katelynas, Dulkys, Zavackas, etc.) ended up in LKL/Eastern European basketball clubs because of limited playing time/positional changes.......

I just read an article the other day,and no ,there is no quote,but i think it was Songaila,who said that 20 years ago you went to USA college because you were that good and promising as a player,as oppose to now,when players go there because they have no other options or failed to get professional contract in Europe.So yes,I can see a point of an avarege/below average player getting a scolarship and decent education just because he plays some decent hoops and is offered an opportunity.As for top notch talent?
                      There must be better options
                      And let that be a lesson to you all. Nobody beats Zalgiris 17 times in a row.

Comment

Domantas has logged in his first minutes (10min) in Euroleague debut against reigning champions Olympiakos Piraeus at age 17. Only 2 points on 1/4 shooting (all shots that could easily have gone in, also showed a couple of good moves) and 2 rebounds. Also he looked quite well on the defensive end, didn't seem lost at all too. He also looks much quicker as opposed to when he played for U16/U18. I guess grown men are slower and Domantas surpasses them in that department. Also seemed quite long with a knack for the ball.

I think he should be getting even more playing time in ACB. Unicaja's next game is tomorrow against CAJASOL Sevilla.

Last edited by omgsomuchpotential; 10-19-2013, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Nice dunk! Still, don't expect too much from him his first Euroleague season. 3 PPG and 2 RPG would be great stats for a 17 yo.

Comment

Still, don't expect too much from him his first Euroleague season.
                            In a way,it is already "too much" as it is )
                            We do not have ,neither we had that many 17 years old kids playing in LKL,let alone in euroleague.
                            Even Kuzminskas,at his tender age of 23 seems like a very young player to be playing abroad for the team like this.And yet again- he is only 17..
                            I just hope we can accept him as for what he is, and not for what his father was.
                            And let that be a lesson to you all. Nobody beats Zalgiris 17 times in a row.

Comment

Sabonis vs CAJASOL:

11:42 minutes

4 points on 2/4 FG
                              5 rebounds (2 offensive)
                              4 fouls (strength still an issue, which is to be expected of a 17yr old playing against grown men)

Comment

Second Euroleague game against Polish team Zielona Gora Stelmet:

16:25 minutes
                                2 points on 1/3 shooting
                                5 rebounds (2 offensive)
                                1 assist

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information