Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223

Thread: Domantas Sabonis thread

Quote Originally Posted by Straight forward View Post
    That's why I'm working my butt off here. We still barbarians here, specially Lithuanians who tend to have deficiency of critical thinking when it comes to our most established players.

When one of NT leaders gets some shots, it's treated as hatred or attempt to the player off the picture, that's typical, stubborn Lithuanian fan attitude. "How dear you to criticise JV, or Maciulis, or whoever"? I dear.

Now let's get it clear. Should we build around Sabonis? Hell, now. Like no, no, no. It's time to you and some experts like R.Paulaskas to look around and to realise where we stand today. Building around Sabonis would be just an improved, but nevertheless fatal strategy just as with building around JV. None of elite NT is build this way, none. Even if USA would take A.Davis, best USA's big today, it wouldn't be his team. The last big who truly dominated FIBA was PAU and this breed and such type of NT franchise is dead. Sabonis should be a focal piece at 5, but if we want to realistically go after wins, big wins, we should build from the perimeter, just as freakin' any other elite team does. You guys are blind if you think it's about JV, or Sabonis, or whoever, it's about contemporary basketball. Such a naive idea to believe that building around a center at FIBA can be victorious. Nor Domas, nor let alone JV, are not even close to Pau's skillset, dude had trancsendat skillset, he could score flat our, he could go ISO and deliver, he was complete player offensively. Not only we, but none in the world have such big now. Not even A.Davis would know how to play in FIBA as Pau did. Thu building around center today is like to put the cart before the horse, now it's banal true for everyone who can read English and click few links about contemporary BB. Just watch some tournament, you won't find such example, even Jokic won't lead Serbia, he'll be among the keys, but he won't lead Serbia in FIBA ball, he ain't got what it takes. But Lith fan still get insulted when some-one openly stick the finger into JV's weaknesses which are more than obvious. Such sensitivity, sticking out to local sentiments instead of thinking of the box, just shows at what level our fans stand. Sabonis is the best center, JV is back-up. But none of them will give NT what it takes to win big games per se, they can highly help, but that's all. It's guards and wings who leads BB team these days, or some GF monster like Lebron, KD. That's why Sabonis is only second best player of Indiana and Brogdon is true leader. We ain't winning anything, maybe some fluke in the best case scenario, till we won't add real talent to the backcourt, till our guards ready to really take over and stop the current bleed, going backwards the trends of today and fooling our selves we can win with it.
    so how would you suggest to solve this issue of our NT not having any world class guards then?
    Should we go Slovenia or Macedonia route and offer a citizenship to an american guard to lead us then? ( I know this option is not up for debating among majority of lith fans, but I just had to go there, ya know). Or should we just force some average level local guard into a leadership role he's not ready to take on and have a disaster of the tournament in the process lol...because I know and you know, we don't have any world class guards anymore and we won't have them in the nearest future either. Our two best players at the moment are both bigs and they are head and shoulders above everybody else really - what sane coach would ignore the best player on his team and instead try and build around inferior player? Your contemporary basketball talk only works when we have guards who can actually lead us, instead of sinking us lmao

Building towards the winning situation is the direction we should be heading instead of trying to brake the wall with the head which never worked and never will. Again, I'm not necessary speak about this OC, we are in force major situation. Forced rebuild (to adequate degree, like being more eager to give a chance to most talented and ready youngsters rather than you would under status quo, satisfactory situation) is better than going with ill-mannered, false scheme which never worked, and last three tournaments were the burial of our status quo results. Rebuilding is the answer. It's more than obvious. Maybe Adomaitis can say we simply didn't have guard material to add anything and to higher extent he would be right, but now we have tons of upcoming talent in the guard and wing section and the rebuild is pretty much shouting for. We have to push it for it a little bit if not a lot, if we don't won't to extend this stretch of dragging behind and falling to mediocre NTs section. 2020 will be just a moaning of whole bloody bleak and crippled OC which on it's way to be the worst ever. Our young talent I'm talking about is too raw at the moment to clean this shit, but some of those punks should be thrown into the fire this summer already, IMO (again, no pressure to Maskoliunas, he's in force major and is hired to make something out of the mess particularly for 2020 campaign). And if not, massive changes should be taking place in 2021.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The flick from the future...

it's not like I disagree with you here mate or anything - most of your points make perfect sense. But at the end of the day, contemporary basketball or not, it all comes down to the overall level of talent. And unfortunately we don't have Doncic or even Rubio to lead us at the backcourt - we can only realy on ancient Kalnietis and severely undersized Lekavicius lol. To emphasize my point even more, I'm gonna try and rank our NT in terms of overall available talent and compare it with the most talented teams in the world:

Teams like USA, Canada, Australia, Spain, Serbia and even Greece have wayy more talent than us to choose from and that's not even debatable...so we are AT BEST 7th most talented team in the world and there are a number of teams who are even with us talent wise as well. So it seems to me like we are trying to climb a steep hill every time we compete against any of those squads and the fact that we beat them so often only speaks volumes of our basketball culture and cohesiveness as a unit. We badly need more talent and there is no other way around it I'm afraid
    Last edited by madmax; 12-20-2019 at 07:05 AM.

You right about the talent and basically you are right about where NT stands today compared to other NTs.

But that's not it. Even if you don't have elite talent, there's things you can do. Today's main BB trend is position-less basketball. BB as never is not as much about few extraordinary superstars, but rather about team basketball and ball movement. Instead of one superstar, you want position-less starting 5 with couple of super universal players from the bench. If once only few teams run p'n'r now every damn team does it, and they want every player to be able to play p'n'r now and to defend it as well, that's why JV's main issue hurts so much, just as any other traditional bruiser (thus they almost completely declined and tall springy men flourished). You want constant ball movement, constant spacing, so called pace and space basketball. Position less unit, ball movement, uptempo and shooting and switching everything at D can make you superior against unit which has few superstars, but not so position-less and so modern. In other words, sometimes less talented, but more up to current BB trends unit (I call it contemporary BB) can do a lot of harm to maybe more talented, but less modern units. Just play the right way, find proper pieces and it may mesh into something very positive. While we did something completely different, we played slowly, we didn't shoot threes, we didn't move the ball around the perimeter, we couldn't guard p'n'r and switch. That's why I'm saying we were going backwards to contemporary BB recently. We don't need superstars, we need above average EL player who playing up to contemporary BB to be in the true elite again.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The flick from the future...

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223