Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Domantas Sabonis thread

Domantas will play for the main Unicaja team next season. I can't wait to see him playing alongside Kuzminskas . Both of them are in good hands for next season.

Domantas Sabonis in the starting line-up of Unicaja and the very first game in ACB. Not bad for 17 yo? Finished with 6 points and 3 rebounds in 15 minutes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The flick from the future...

It's great for a kid to get solid minutes in ACB, but he wants to go to NCAA next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher View Post
    It's great for a kid to get solid minutes in ACB, but he wants to go to NCAA next year.
    Bad idea. Playing time isn't guaranteed there at all and the level is much, much lower there than in ACB. I suppose he wants to get some good American education, but that may come at the expense of his basketball career/skills.

Quote Originally Posted by macleopard13 View Post
    Bad idea. Playing time isn't guaranteed there at all and the level is much, much lower there than in ACB. I suppose he wants to get some good American education, but that may come at the expense of his basketball career/skills.
    Completely agree. As a basketball player he should stay at Spain where he is able to play in ACB being so young. But he or his father or both of them are looking for an education.

Completely agree. As a basketball player he should stay at Spain where he is able to play in ACB being so young. But he or his father or both of them are looking for an education.
    I don't necessarily agree. While it is true that both ACB & Euroleague are miles ahead of NCAA-level competition, Domantas might get to shine against inferior NCAA talent and might just up his draft stock to a lottery pick, which guarantees bigger rookie contracts in the NBA. I'm not quite sure if the education argument is valid, because it is very likely that he's only going to be there for 1 year (minimum required before entering NBA draft).

I think staying 1 year in ACB/Euroleague and then 1 year of college before going to NBA is a win/win situation. He'll get a lot of valuable experience this year playing against grown experienced men, and that should really help him dominate the NCAA competition. Here's hoping he'll go to university of his place of birth (Oregon), where he should get some respect for his name too, as his father was one of the greatest blazers of all time even being riddled with injuries at that time.

As a basketball player he should stay at Spain where he is able to play in ACB being so young. But he or his father or both of them are looking for an education.
    An education (academically speaking) is not why basketball players go to U.S. colleges. If Domantas and his father really want him to get an education, summer school at a European university would be the best option.

http://unicaja.diariosur.es/noticias...-20131015.html

It's not easy to play in Europe and then to do the same in NCAA without problems. Kanter had to miss one season.

http://unicaja.diariosur.es/noticias...-20131015.html

It's not easy to play in Europe and then to do the same in NCAA without problems. Kanter had to miss one season.
    He will not have any problems as he did not sign any pro contract with Unicaja. It is mentioned about this right here

I picture the NCAA as a bad place to develop because so many Lithuanian players' careers failed to take off after they left the NCAA. Countless prospective Lithuanians (Kavaliauskas, Katelynas, Dulkys, Zavackas, etc.) ended up in LKL/Eastern European basketball clubs because of limited playing time/positional changes. For example, Bareika entered the NCAA as a prospective Lithuanian PG in 2009 (I think). Now, he'll be leaving as a SF. Is that how talents should be developed?

I picture the NCAA as a bad place to develop because so many Lithuanian players' careers failed to take off after they left the NCAA. Countless prospective Lithuanians (Kavaliauskas, Katelynas, Dulkys, Zavackas, etc.) ended up in LKL/Eastern European basketball clubs because of limited playing time/positional changes. For example, Bareika entered the NCAA as a prospective Lithuanian PG in 2009 (I think). Now, he'll be leaving as a SF. Is that how talents should be developed?
    Because they are what they are. You are mentioning average players. We can mention Songaila, Kleiza, Jasikevičius, Kaukėnas, Karnišovas. All of them had an amazing careers in Europe, or solid careers in NBA.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Straight forward View Post
    Because they are what they are. You are mentioning average players. We can mention Songaila, Kleiza, Jasikevičius, Kaukėnas, Karnišovas. All of them had an amazing careers in Europe, or solid careers in NBA.
    Yes, those players' (Kavaliauskas, Zavackas) talent-level just cannot compare to the likes of Kleiza, Jasikevicous, Karnisovas or Domantas.

I think you might be underestimating just how talented Domantas actually is. He is a rebounding machine (rebounds better than a lot of C's) with an already quite polished post move arsenal. Also, he's already 6'10 (208 cm) and will probably grow even more. Any college coach would be dumb to be prejudice against him and not give him a chance. I mean he's Sabonis' son too. So I'm not worried about him not getting playing time in college. In my opinion, if he's good enough to play in ACB, he's good enough to dominate NCAA. Just imagine if Jonas Valanciunas would have played in NCAA. I can't imagine him not crushing that competition. And I don't think Jonas is all that more talented than Domantas. The only glaring weakness in Domantas' game right now is his shooting touch. That's about it.

Quote Originally Posted by omgsomuchpotential View Post
    I think you might be underestimating just how talented Domantas actually is. He is a rebounding machine (rebounds better than a lot of C's) with an already quite polished post move arsenal. Also, he's already 6'10 (208 cm) and will probably grow even more. Any college coach would be dumb to be prejudice against him and not give him a chance. I mean he's Sabonis' son too. So I'm not worried about him not getting playing time in college. In my opinion, if he's good enough to play in ACB, he's good enough to dominate NCAA. Just imagine if Jonas Valanciunas would have played in NCAA. I can't imagine him not crushing that competition. And I don't think Jonas is all that more talented than Domantas. The only glaring weakness in Domantas' game right now is his shooting touch. That's about it.
    Domantas is kinda following Valančiūnas at the moment. Both started to play for high class pro level club being 17yo. Valančiūnas was more dominant in U- level, but as you said Domantas rebounding stats are stunning (besides Jonas had better team around him). I wonder if Domantas really have NBA level athleticism, that's the biggest issue probably. But he's more crafty than JV, has better coust vision, better passing skills. At the worst case scenario I see him as a top level Euroleague's player, at the best - rather high NBA draft pick. Don't really have a picture yet, hope to see him a bit in the pro level this season.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Even some of those that you mention didn't dominate in the NCAA. Kaukenas averaged 13.2 PPG, 3.5 RPG, 2.1 APG in 30 MPG his senior year. Jasikevicius averaged 12.4 PPG, 3.3 RPG, 3.6 APG in 29 MPG his senior year. They probably had some ballhoggers on the team, and I don't want Sabonis to be around those kinds of players. He needs to polish his offensive skills (shooting touch, free throws), and he'll never develop them if he doesn't get the ball often. You know, in Europe, he's well known because of his father and dominance in the U-tournament, but here in the NBA/NCAA, most people won't know who his father was, so they won't give a damn. I'm all for his development in Spain until he gets drafted.

Even some of those that you mention didn't dominate in the NCAA. Kaukenas averaged 13.2 PPG, 3.5 RPG, 2.1 APG in 30 MPG his senior year. Jasikevicius averaged 12.4 PPG, 3.3 RPG, 3.6 APG in 29 MPG his senior year. They probably had some ballhoggers on the team, and I don't want Sabonis to be around those kinds of players. He needs to polish his offensive skills (shooting touch, free throws), and he'll never develop them if he doesn't get the ball often. You know, in Europe, he's well known because of his father and dominance in the U-tournament, but here in the NBA/NCAA, most people won't know who his father was, so they won't give a damn. I'm all for his development in Spain until he gets drafted.
    What? Those are great stats!

I don't know all the NCAA kitchen that well, but talented players find their ways to stand out. I think Domantas would choose NCAA as the better transition to NBA. Otherwise it's stange to leave hometown, strong team, good coach.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What? Those are great stats!

I don't know all the NCAA kitchen that well, but talented players find their ways to stand out. I think Domantas would choose NCAA as the better transition to NBA. Otherwise it's stange to leave hometown, strong team, good coach.
    Those are great, but not stellar, stats. As I said, only Songaila, Kleiza and Karnisovas truly dominated the NCAA.

Let's hope he makes the right decision. I don't know, maybe he'll have a good coach, good teammates and good trainers that will help him in his offensive game. There's no doubt that he will dominate defensively, so he won't need much help there (except maybe to keep fouls in check). Also, Portland's not the best city to live in - a lot of illegal drug users...

Those are great, but not stellar, stats. As I said, only Songaila, Kleiza and Karnisovas truly dominated the NCAA.

Let's hope he makes the right decision. I don't know, maybe he'll have a good coach, good teammates and good trainers that will help him in his offensive game. There's no doubt that he will dominate defensively, so he won't need much help there (except maybe to keep fouls in check). Also, Portland's not the best city to live in - a lot of illegal drug users...
    There's a lot of potheads in Portland - yes, but so is the case in the NBA. 90% of NBA players are potheads.

Quote Originally Posted by omgsomuchpotential View Post
    Yes, those players' (Kavaliauskas, Zavackas) talent-level just cannot compare to the likes of Kleiza, Jasikevicous, Karnisovas or Domantas.
    1998 u'18 Final Round
    Zavackas 18.1 pt, 3p-52%; Macijauskas 13.3 pt; Javtokas 7.1 pt

Exclamation

Also, Portland's not the best city to live in - a lot of illegal drug users....
    I thought Portland had a reputation as being a white collar middle class city with a relatively low crime rate among a peer group of cities with major league sports franchises in the States.

I still think his father should try to get Domantas into a summer school program at Oxford or Cambridge if he really wants his son to get an education while at the same time pursuing a basketball career. The only alternative would be to enroll at an Ivy League school in the states such as Harvard, Yale or Princeton but admittedly those certainly aren't basketball factories.

I picture the NCAA as a bad place to develop because so many Lithuanian players' careers failed to take off after they left the NCAA. Countless prospective Lithuanians (Kavaliauskas, Katelynas, Dulkys, Zavackas, etc.) ended up in LKL/Eastern European basketball clubs because of limited playing time/positional changes.......

I just read an article the other day,and no ,there is no quote,but i think it was Songaila,who said that 20 years ago you went to USA college because you were that good and promising as a player,as oppose to now,when players go there because they have no other options or failed to get professional contract in Europe.So yes,I can see a point of an avarege/below average player getting a scolarship and decent education just because he plays some decent hoops and is offered an opportunity.As for top notch talent?
    There must be better options
    And let that be a lesson to you all. Nobody beats Zalgiris 17 times in a row.

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast