Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1523242526 LastLast

Thread: Domantas Sabonis thread

I think I like this trade. Dipo still wanted to be the key in the crunch, but he's not the same. Lavert hopefully plays some D and will fit to Indiana's team BB style.

Domas really added even more craftiness this season. His footwork reached new level, he uses his right hand for baby hooks, he drives much more, he developed a nice fade away mid range jumper, he adds more threes this season. If in 2 upcoming seasons he will add serious threes shooting, he can be a super star in the league, he has the package. Now, I'm really intrigued how much he can elevate at FIBA as well. It's time to realise our by far best center is Domas and he does so many things as a point center, scores in various ways. We need to use him at wife primarily, using JV off the bench for offensive boost, feeding him intensively when he's in (like in the last stretch with Raptors Nik Nurse was using him). In 2021 I see Domas playing 22min at center and some 10 minutes at 4. IMO, that would be the best for NT. But that goes if some Sedekerskis will establish himself as serious option at 4. I'm not really thinking anyone aside Domas is a serious option at 4 other than possibly Sedekerskis who recently locked a freakin' beast Shengelia and Dusko plays provides him tons of minutes. All these Bendzius, Maciulis, Kulboka, Masiulis (or Kuz) are so meh ATM. They don't even really deserve Olympic ticket, but we will have to fill the holes somehow.

https://www.nba.com/news/domantas-sa...indiana-pacers
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank View Post
    Marciulionis son will be bust like first Sabonis son

I like how much more Sabonis puts the ball on the floor this season and slashes with the ball often. I'm getting more hopeful to see real dominant performances in FIBA from Domas:

https://twitter.com/Pacers/status/13...bo-dublio.html

Domas with career high 33pts. He's playing 36.5min per game which concerning, but at the same makes him very unique player. Not only he plays a lot, he does that with EXTREME MOTOR. He's among six top players in the league in DISTANCE TRAVELLED, and the other only center to be among these six is unicorn CAT. The craziest thing that defensively he's third best in DISTANCE TRAVELLED, and he's a center. It means that Domas is fishing out perimeter players, he's moving all over the court. Indiana has the fourth-best offense, scoring 114.5 points per 100 possessions when playing against the top-10 defenses, per Cleaning the Glass. Better still, when Sabonis has been on the floor in those games, Indiana has been even more efficient, producing 116.07 points per 100 possessions — the equivalent of a top-three offense. So it's Sabonis exactly who makes Indiana's offense elite. Also, it's true that Domas is second best point center after Joker Jokic in the league. He shoots 37perc. threes this season.

I know FIBA is different animal, but we should understand what kind of a piece we have in Domas. He in the middle should be our cornerstone and should be touching the ball every possession basically. We can't use him as the plug at 4. We need to put our best player in the country in his most natural position to get all what we can get from him. It's time to build around Domas Sabonis. It's about Domas and and upcoming star point guards to make Lithuania rolling in the first place. The way I see it, we should start Domas at center, his well deserved spot and to ride him there as long as it works. If he dominates, play him 30 minutes at center. With Domas we have agile, modern defence and very versatile offense. He's ready and we should give him opportunity to show what he can.

I agree with one of comments in youtube, hope Domas will prove this at FIBA level as well. "Sabonis is turning into the next generation Pau Gasol"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxDWEgYeo9Y
    Last edited by Straight forward; 02-05-2021 at 11:31 AM.

Domas with 36/17/10. He exceeding previous seasons of Jokic. I called him baby Jokic for a reason (and he will remain so since Jokic reached new heights). 21.5/11.6/5.7 is f...legit! However you watch it. Shooting threes 36%, that's what you can really live with. He's a boderline superstar in the league now, let's see if he actually can reach these highs, that's a breed of Lithuanian we never witnessed before.

Can't wait to see Sabonis, Tubelis, Sedekerskis in one lineup. Not only super versatile switch all defensive frontline, but also FUNDEMENTALS, RUNNING and ATHLETICISM at offensive end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUl1ppMEZrA

Quote Originally Posted by Straight forward View Post
    Domas with 36/17/10. He exceeding previous seasons of Jokic. I called him baby Jokic for a reason (and he will remain so since Jokic reached new heights). 21.5/11.6/5.7 is f...legit! However you watch it. Shooting threes 36%, that's what you can really live with. He's a boderline superstar in the league now, let's see if he actually can reach these highs, that's a breed of Lithuanian we never witnessed before.

Can't wait to see Sabonis, Tubelis, Sedekerskis in one lineup. Not only super versatile switch all defensive frontline, but also FUNDEMENTALS, RUNNING and ATHLETICISM at offensive end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUl1ppMEZrA
    Stats looks nice, but there are still ways for him to improve. One of them is mentally. Dude is spending lots of time arguing with refs and being visible frustrated. I guess we can still say he is young, only 24, so he should improve there with time.
    Anyway, not much else I can say about him, he is solid or elite at everything else accept defence of course. Funny that when he played for youth, he looked so mehh, never thought he could reach such heights.

He exceeded every ones expectations. I created a thread when he was 16-17yo, but I never thought he would be a borderliner superstar in the NBA on day.

Sure. One of things, he needs to be more consistent at shooting. And also defence. But he adds things every year, he's pretty much on Pau's track NBA career wise.

Domas wins skills competition, knocking out Luka Doncic as well Good to see it!

Domantas is franchise player - not just franchise player potential but definitely player of the future for Indiana. One of my favourite guys in NBA - absolutely joy to watch his fantastic development. He will just get better - no doubt about it.

What I like about Domas that even in such contest he is pumped up, always motivated and genuinely happy after winning each round. That winning mentality from Arvydas is there, that's very good

Respect to his offensive versatility but putting him on 5 defensively is truly suicide. He has really obvious weaknesses that cant even be fully explained with his poor wingspan.

Quote Originally Posted by Toruko View Post
    Respect to his offensive versatility but putting him on 5 defensively is truly suicide. He has really obvious weaknesses that cant even be fully explained with his poor wingspan.
    Exaggeration, bruh It's surely not even close to what you described. Specially in FIBA. In NBA this season he's having a bit worse defensive season that the previous, but even this year he's not a complete black hole defensively. He's playing 36 minutes per game and his offensive role is huge. You can't play Ben Wallace kind of defence when you play such a huge role offensively and you rolling with NBA regular season Anyway, in FIBA to play some 15min at center, he's more than capable and he can move his feet. That's the good side of Sabonis D, he can provide D at perimeter. He can give you switch everything opportunity while balling at 5. Do I care that some Lumberjack would put couple of baybe hooks on him? Nah, man, not even close. FOA, we don't have guys now who would be deadly at it (No Shaq, Hakeem kind of monsters) , second FIBA court is tiny and the help D comes (that's how even best lumberjacks now can't put up 20ppg in FIBA even if they are choking with the feed inside).

Here's "a bit more" objective take on Sabonis D (2019/2020 ALL STAR season):

On defense, Sabonis has had a decent year. His size, awareness, and commitment help him to be a force on that end of the floor most of the time.

Against challenging assignments, Sabonis has a tendency to get frustrated and sometimes foul too much, forcing Nate McMillan to go to the bench, and sometimes giving Goga Bitadze minutes that he may not be prepared for.

Sabonis has played and carried fouls at times, too, showing that he does have the ability to defend without being careless. He needs to develop more patience and discernment on that end and be better.

Sabonis’s question marks on defense are one of the main reasons the Pacers have been reluctant to seriously consider trading Turner.

https://8points9seconds.com/2020/04/...-nba-hiatus-2/

Things slipping out of hand in Indiana. For months rumours spread that there's tension between players and coaching staff. Obviously we won't ever know all the details and all the stuff, but one thing for sure...you don't say to your coach "Sit the f...down". Come on, Bitadze Even if it's an assistant coach. It is pretty much open conflict situation if a player goes for that. All this Indiana team will be ripped apart in the off season, IMO. Indiana made a mistake letting McMillan go, dude had respect and was handling the team well. On other hand, Indiana is playing sissy D and when the coach says contest the damn player under the rim you should do it. Again, there's no all information, but to me it looks like Bitadze is being an asshole at this point, but it probably just a conclusion of many things that happened before:

https://eu.indystar.com/story/sports...ne/4966532001/

Strong article by Bleach Reporter on Pacer's head coach Bjorkgren. It seems his rough coaching style and lack of communication skills as well as putting the system onto players shoulders rather than adjusting it to players cause the frustration and inner collapse of the team. Sabonis as of late was great and the reason is that he was out with injury and had rest. I'm very concerned with his usage. Sure, 30pts and almost a triple double is nice, but he played 41min. I'm afraid that we might see a washed out Sabonis in summer, maybe his body will take it, but the mind will be completely fed up with basketball.

Sabonis since felt compelled to approach Bjorkgren on one occasion, where he encouraged the coach to be kinder to Indiana's staff. Further, Bjorkgren's aggressive switching style on defense has forced Sabonis to cover far more room on the perimeter than he'd like, sources said. Sabonis now ranks first in the league in total distance traveled on defense per game, according to NBA.com.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...nate-bjorkgren

Sabonis as of late was great and the reason is that he was out with injury and had rest. I'm very concerned with his usage. Sure, 30pts and almost a triple double is nice, but he played 41min. I'm afraid that we might see a washed out Sabonis in summer, maybe his body will take it, but the mind will be completely fed up with basketball.
    I agree. I frowned as well when I saw Sabonis' minutes played stat against the Atlanta Hawks.

I stopped watching Pacers altogether . Not a fun anymore , Sabonis or not . Clearly something is wrong with a team , injuries or not .
    Also , I care very little about Sabonis weak points in NBA .
    There should be other players covering Domas weak points as he has to orientate his play towards his strong points . Scoring , passing, rebounds . As harsh as it sounds , he is the one with 2 all star appearances in a row.
    41 minutes on court is different from game to game .
    And let that be a lesson to you all. Nobody beats Zalgiris 17 times in a row.

Speaking of injuries:
    5/4 Sabonis missed 9 games so far
    5/4 Turner 10 games and possibly rest of season
    3 Warren 62 games and the rest of season
    2 Oladipo>Levert 27
    1 Brogdan 10

Lamb (10ppg) 30 games, Bitadze 27 games

Last 10 games Domas lines: 26,3pts, 14,8rbs, 10as in 37,8min. In last 4 games Domas has 41mpg. If he will get away alive from this season, it should be a non play offs season. Pacers stands 10th and now I'm rooting for Indiana's losses. That kind of usage is unhealthy and the team has been unhealthy, particularly because of the coach and injuries.

Last 10 games Domas lines: 26,3pts, 14,8rbs, 10as in 37,8min. In last 4 games Domas has 41mpg. If he will get away alive from this season, it should be a non play offs season. Pacers stands 10th and now I'm rooting for Indiana's losses. That kind of usage is unhealthy and the team has been unhealthy, particularly because of the coach and injuries.
    Well ,if he wants some sort of greatness , as all of us rooting for him wishes, he better keeps playing them minutes injurie free.
    He is first Lithuanian to get " too many minutes " on court moan.

So , there was post match interview on TNT ? with Domas being man of the game.
    Well , he did it way better than his dad used to be in this sort of situations . Laconic , boring - yes. Still ... Mumbled with some stereotypes , whatever..
    Alas , good news is that before that the TNT panel collectively decided that he went from a star to superstar .
    As for me , that word will carry him forward for the next few seasons at least.
    And - congrats to all of us for having first Lithuanian NBA superstar . That happened , it is all true .

Domantas played brutal game. His domination in rebounding is incredible. Huge fan of Domas. With a little more aggressive mindset this dude would be a complete beast.

Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1523242526 LastLast