Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread: Domantas Sabonis thread

There's a good chance Sabonis might be traded soon. It's obvious that Sabonis and Turner can't play together. Also soon Sabonis' rookie contract ends (he has one more year) and can Indiana offer Sabonis 60-70mil contract just as they did to Turner? No, they can't pay that much players who can't play together. So one of them will likely go and I think it's Sabonis because Turner stones the defence for Indiana and any coach wants that. Would love Sabonis ending up in Spurs in Pop stays there.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The flick from the future...

Was there a single article about Pacers future that didn't say that one of them might be gone?

Quote Originally Posted by LuDux View Post
    Was there a single article about Pacers future that didn't say that one of them might be gone?
    Are you enforcing my post or trying to trivialize it? Can't really decide
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Here's a good article which reveals how Sabonis had a sneaky absolute beast of a season. It will be interesting if NBA will take him seriously for 6th man of the year award (while he's a true MVP of all of that kind) or they will simply go fanciest way - awarding high scorers in Lou Williams or Rose (also sentimental award in this case). I'm quoting most interesting parts and give you the link:

"Sabonis ranks eighth among the Pacers in minutes played (24.8) but first in rebounding (9.3) and third in scoring (14.1) while shooting a team-best 59 percent from the field. He's even hit 9-of-17 3-point field goal attempts for a team-best .529 accuracy rate.

The advanced statistical analytics not only reveal Sabonis as being clearly deserving of this award, but also likely the most valuable Pacer.

His Player Efficiency Rating, which takes into account all the ways a player can contribute to winning while factoring in pace of play and playing time, is 22.0. That's easily best of all the Pacers, including Oladipo before his injury. Turner is second at 18.1.

Sabonis' Win Share total, which attempts to determine how much credit each player deserves for a team's win total is .198 per 48 minutes. Darren Collison is second among the Pacers at .154.

None of those high-scoring guards considered to be among the leading Sixth Man candidates can match those numbers. The best among them is Williams, who has a PER of 21.4 and a Win Share per 48 of .126.
    "
    https://www.nba.com/pacers/news/pace...-consideration

And here's today's interview with Sabonis:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZINO6T-IGs
    Last edited by Straight forward; 05-03-2019 at 03:18 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sabas among three finalist for Sixth man of a year award. He won't grab it, but that's nice. I think Sabonis stepped into Marciulionis shoes, when he left second.

Also I figured Sabonis was a 50 passes per game player. Only Jokic, Embiid and Marc Gasol had more than 50 passes as a centers. Sabonis is at the top of Pacers alomg with Collison (main PG) with that. I always knew he's better passer than his three assists shows. F.e. JV was a 35.7 passes a game player and he is still solid with this number.

https://8points9seconds.com/2019/05/...ixth-man-year/
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tough call for the Pacers regarding Sabonis. One one hand, Domantas Sabonis led the team in win shares this season and hes on the hook for $3.5 million next year, on the other hand, Turner and Sabonis don't really fit together and Pacers could get such players as Mike Conley or Kevin Love for him which would be a better fit for the Pacers.

I quote an opinion why Sabonis might be traded and for what:

1. Id trade Sabonis

Hes good, maybe even PRETTY good. Hes young, extremely durable and very cheap for another season. And thats exactly why Id trade him.

Turner led the league in blocks and hit 39% of his three-pointers. Hes the exact type of center you want if you have to have a center and hell make less than Allen Crabbe next season. I keep Turner, build my defense around him and put shooters/shot-creators around him and Oladipo.

A Sabonis trade is interesting because his salary is cheap enough that any roster could absorb it and since you asked, here are my favorite fake trades:

Sabonis to the Hawks for #10 pick. Pacers get a top 10 pick for their backup center. Hawks get a center better than anyone they could have gotten at #10.

Sabonis/McDermott to Cleveland for Kevin Love. Turn Sabonis into your FA acquisition and someone that can play with Turner. After his injury this season, Im not sure what Loves market is. Maybe Cleveland asks for Indianas #18 pick this season and goes full rebuild with the Sex Man, Sabonis, the #5 and #18 pick.

Sabonis/#18 pick to Memphis for Mike Conley. Memphis may end up with the same issue as Indy with a JJJ/Sabonis frontcourt pairing, but Im betting on JJJ being a better shooter/defender than Turner. Conley is also an Indianapolis native and the Pacers have been trying to acquire him for years.

Sabonis to Washington for #9. Same as Atlanta. Whoever the Wizards would have drafted at #9 wont be as good as Sabonis is right now. And you have a chance to negotiate his next contract.

The market for bigs may be declining but the market for versatile bigs will never die. Sabonis was made a stretch-four by OKC and the sixth man by Indy. He may just need a team willing to let him play his game. His Per 36 Minute data this year: 20-13-4 on 59% FG shooting. His ORB% rate put him between DeAndre Jordan and Deandre Ayton. His DRB% put him between Giannis and KAT. His FT rate puts him right ahead of Blake and Luka, and hes hitting 72% from the stripe. His AST% puts him a smidge in front of Nurkic and hes improved every year defensively.

Normally, Id say keep Sabonis and figure it out (and I wouldnt hate the Pacers for doing this) but an Oladipo/Turner/Conley trio or adding a top ten pick in exchange for your backup center could get the Pacers in ECF contention.

https://www.barstoolsports.com/post/...pacers-edition
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

@ StraightForward

Don’t forget in any trade you matchup the money. So with Sabonis’ making so little money you can’t get good value for him. I think Indiana keeps him 100% and then next year he is a restricted free agent so if he has an even better year next year they have the option to match any contract.

Sabonis has to improve defensively. He has great per 36 minute statistics but he also averages about 5 fouls committed as well. That’s the worst in the NBA among all players with his actual minutes played or more. Basically that means it’s the worst for starters and rotation players in the entire NBA. He has to improve on that and I think he will. It’s just about learning how to defend without fouling and picking your spots. Jokic had this problem a couple of years ago and he figured it out.

Pacers wants Rubio and 4th pick of Pelicans. I assume Pelicans would want Turner or Sabonis for that pick. Unlikely to happen, imo.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

So Domas Sabonis gets some respect from NBA and finishes as the runner-up at Sixth Man of A Year Award. Great recognition and he's the second Lithuanian after Marčiulionis to do that. It only shows what kind of a beast we have growing. Nor peaking Kleiza or Songaila couldn't be close to that.
    Also Sabonis ended up 6th among most improved players. Basically only 2 Europeans were among top candidates - Vucevic (5th) and Sabonis (6th).
    Sabonis beat Pacers franchise field goal record - 59%. Made it to the top 5 Per- Minute along with McGinnis, Oladipo, J. O'neal.
    Beast of a season and I expect him to be better next year!

Now with the off season, aside Youth NT campaigns, we surely get to follow very wealthy Summer league this year. We'll have three guys to follow - Kulboka (I'm most eager to see where he stands at), Sirvydis and Brazdeikis.

The word is being said Sirvydis is more likely to stay in the G- league than continuing to play in Europe.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

McMillan says he's gonna start Sabonis with Turner. That should increase his playing time. McMillan has a word on current shape Sabonis as well. I expect him to come into a beast mode to the NT:

"He was here just two weeks ago. He looks great. He's been working his behind off getting ready for the World Championships."

https://www.nba.com/pacers/news/turn...tarting-lineup

Also Pacers wants to get Sabonis with a long-term contract extension. It will be interesting how these two bigs will look in the era of small ball. Should be the biggest and toughest starting frontline in the NBA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Domas season top 10 plays. "Daddies pass" and the fiesta of posters!:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=u8gHVux5yRc
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920