Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will 2014-2020 be as successful as 2006-2012 for Team USA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NorCal View Post
    Nice try, tough guy. I still play on a traveling team that goes all over the state and I'm guessing I've been playing and watching basketball for almost longer than you've been on this Earth.

Know more than me? Your arguments have been baseless, you back things up with your only evidence being what you see. I back mine up with what I see, along with the opinions of countless experts and statistics that you don't like because, frankly I would bet every penny I have, that you simply don't understand them. Essentially I've got a butt load of evidence and your evidence is in your own head and nowhere else. I don't even know why I'm taking the time to argue this with a guy who doesn't even know how many teams are in the NBA:

One other point......I see trends in you of not addressing the issue as stated, underlying anger management issues, trying (and failing miserably) to get other posters mad, biases that have no evidence to back them up, incredibly misguided perception of yourself and your limited basketball knowledge...........is that you Fiba Europe Basket/whatever you call yourself these days? Are you still mad about Nigeria? I'm taking a stab in the dark but you remind me of him a lot.

Either way, I've got an over/under of 70 posts before this guy gets banned.
    California's a fucking joke, kid. I've been playing against grown players who would make your best players look like unskilled nerds since I was a teenager.

Yeah, know more than you. You don't back anything up because you don't make arguments in the first place. You parrot ESPN, and there are ZERO basketball experts these days. We clear about that fact? Who's an expert exactly? Name one legitimate expert. You're just another bitch-ass internet nerd thinking he's an expert on a sport he knows nothing about. Ohhhh you play for a TRAVEL TEAM? Oh my GOD! So do twelve year olds around here. I don't put my business on the internet so don't expect me to go bragging about where I play. Unlike you, I'm not some delusional YMCA player. Oh no! I messed up and said 32 (while watching the NFL) instead of 30! That means of course that everything I say is invalid. You fucking joke.

Come say any of that to my face you Cali bitch. I fucking dare you. For real. Go ahead, you tough talking little nerd.

You can talk all the shit you like but all you are is WORDS. You've got nothing to back it up whatsoever. You try to say "people overestimate their ability to comprehend basketball" because YOU can't comprehend it.

Originally posted by Pleasant View Post
    Haha! I know who you mean; he's still trolling on some smaller, unmoderated blogs. If you're interested in hearing the latest from him, it seems that David Stern, in addition to bribing the Olympic refs (as usual) also bribed the Spanish federation to force them to play its inferior NBA players because he knew that they would beat Team USA if they played their superior Euroleague players

While I see the similarities between the two in terms of posting styles and impolite language, I also think the FIBA guy is genetically incapable of saying anything good about the USA or anything that (even indirectly) questions the superiority of Spanoulis and Greek basketball in general

My three stabs in the dark about CHBB:

1. He's just a guy who's very passionate and opinionated about his basketball, and lets his emotions get in the way of manners sometimes;
    2. He's the type of person who will never outwardly agree with someone or be able to be convinced to change his mind, because every conversation is a competition that he has to win; or
    3. He really is FIBA/Olympiacos/VS666, posing as a Team USA fan as part of a diabolical plan to make Americans seem mean-spirited and arrogant towards other countries

All meant in good fun, of course
    Yeah I've caught some of 'internet basketball's most famous troll' on some other sites. At some point it actually becomes pretty entertaining instead of frustrating.

As for CHBB- assuming he's not Fiba Europe Basket- I don't have a problem with disagreeing with each other, its just the way he phrases everything in a confrontational manner and dismisses things you say that he doesn't agree on with abrasive language. Nobody likes being talked to (or written to I should say) in that way and so of course there are going to be disputes. CHBB- just tone it down a little bit and none of these threads will become flame wars. I'd like to hear your opinion on all things basketball and will respect it going forward as long as you'll do the same.
    Yo who the FUCK do you kids think you're talking to? Huh? I'm from right outside Philly, bitch, and I'll smack the taste out of your fucking mouth if you badmouth me. My username stands for my hometown, somewhere I am VERY proud to be from because, among other reasons, it doesn't produce loudmouth fucking nerds like you. Allow me to tell you this for a second time since you don't get it. Real life just came to your internet paradise so watch your fucking mouth because where I come from, we beat loudmouth nerds who can't back shit up into a pulp. Think I'm fucking playing with you?

Don't disrespect people and talk the wrong way to people and you won't hear it back. What a bunch of little kids, trying to flip everything onto everybody else.

Comment

This is the last post I will address any of the USA disgraces to basketball with. You know who you are, and if you don't, well I don't really give a fuck.

You're not experts on basketball. If you were more humble and more intelligent, you'd take the opportunity to SHUT UP and LISTEN and LEARN from somebody who is. You want to talk and talk and talk because of your little egos but then when I say to call my bluff and challenge me to point out everything on game tape, you want to just talk some more and ignore my offer because you must deep down know that you don't know as much as you'd like to think.

If it weren't the case, you'd tell me to fulfill my offer or shut up. That's the way a conversation about anything ends when somebody tries to act like he or she is an expert. You say to prove it or shut up. Otherwise, you're just as full of shit as you're claiming they are because you clearly don't want the truth to come to light or to risk the chance of being proven wrong.

Oh no! I might get banned from a site on the internet because some little USA nerds have a problem with having their little bit of basketball knowledge challenged! This of course must mean I'm not as intelligent about basketball as I claim, because it doesn't matter that these nerds are just projecting what they're doing onto me and playing some bitch ass childish games like other internet nerds do. Definitely not. It's a shame, too. Now I'll have to stop playing basketball because some internet nerds told me I don't know anything about it. Time to go cry.

Now feel free to talk all the shit you want. I'm not responding to any of the disgraceful ambassadors making MY COUNTY look bad. That's right, I'm from the US as well, right outside of Philly as I already said.

Comment

Damn, man, this guy's from Philly, that makes him tough. I better shut my mouth.

What a joke.

Anyways, mods, if you read this, don't worry about me, I'll be ignoring CHBB from now on.

Back to the topic- Pleasant, I agree with you, I think 2014 will be a youth movement. I think the USA has re-placed itself atop the international basketball world and our key guys will let the young guns come in. Its two years from now but I'm excited to see the team as there are a number of guys who I think will be great FIBA rules players.

Comment

Its two years from now but I'm excited to see the team as there are a number of guys who I think will be great FIBA rules players.
          Assuming (just for discussion) that none of the 2012 players come back to compete in Spain, who do you have in mind as guys who would be good FIBA players for each position? Here are some players I'd like to see:

Kyrie Irving is my favorite young player and I want to see his Team USA in action. He apparently dominated during the USA/USA Select scrimmages, and his rookie season was way better than D-Will's and arguably better than Chris Paul's. In two years, if he keeps it up, he'll be due for a big-stage international explosion like Durant in 2010.

Two guards from the 2010 squad I'd like to see again are Eric Gordon and Steph Curry. I remember Gordon had some strong showings in Turkey, but obviously that team was Durant's when it mattered, and so I think Gordon is severely underrated internationally. With Curry, pure shooting is always an asset against FIBA zones, and if future USA teams rely on the outside shot as much as we did this year, he surely has a place on the roster.

Another swingman that may be a longshot to make the team but whose game I really like is Kawhi Leonard. Excellent defense, good movement without the ball, good passing, and solid shooting - he's the consummate role player and, as a rookie, already showed he could play a major role on an elite, cerebral team. Hey, he was on the select team, so maybe it's not too far-fetched

As for big men, Lamarcus Aldridge and Paul Millsap are the players I'd really like to see LMA is self-explanatory, but even though Millsap is a high-level defender, excellent rebounder, and efficient scorer, I haven't ever heard much buzz about him playing with Team USA. On a team sure to be loaded with players with offensive talent, a no-ego player who doesn't worry about touches and scores only as he needs to is an asset.

Bynum would a beast, of course, but I remember reading that he had no interest in playing for Team USA because of health concerns.

As for the current rookie class, I would say at first glance that Michael Kidd-Gilchrist and Bradley Beal seem to be the most promising, but I want to see them play in the NBA before judging them as players.

Comment

Assuming (just for discussion) that none of the 2012 players come back to compete in Spain, who do you have in mind as guys who would be good FIBA players for each position? Here are some players I'd like to see:

Kyrie Irving is my favorite young player and I want to see his Team USA in action. He apparently dominated during the USA/USA Select scrimmages, and his rookie season was way better than D-Will's and arguably better than Chris Paul's. In two years, if he keeps it up, he'll be due for a big-stage international explosion like Durant in 2010.

Two guards from the 2010 squad I'd like to see again are Eric Gordon and Steph Curry. I remember Gordon had some strong showings in Turkey, but obviously that team was Durant's when it mattered, and so I think Gordon is severely underrated internationally. With Curry, pure shooting is always an asset against FIBA zones, and if future USA teams rely on the outside shot as much as we did this year, he surely has a place on the roster.

Another swingman that may be a longshot to make the team but whose game I really like is Kawhi Leonard. Excellent defense, good movement without the ball, good passing, and solid shooting - he's the consummate role player and, as a rookie, already showed he could play a major role on an elite, cerebral team. Hey, he was on the select team, so maybe it's not too far-fetched

As for big men, Lamarcus Aldridge and Paul Millsap are the players I'd really like to see LMA is self-explanatory, but even though Millsap is a high-level defender, excellent rebounder, and efficient scorer, I haven't ever heard much buzz about him playing with Team USA. On a team sure to be loaded with players with offensive talent, a no-ego player who doesn't worry about touches and scores only as he needs to is an asset.

Bynum would a beast, of course, but I remember reading that he had no interest in playing for Team USA because of health concerns.

As for the current rookie class, I would say at first glance that Michael Kidd-Gilchrist and Bradley Beal seem to be the most promising, but I want to see them play in the NBA before judging them as players.
            I don't think any of the 2012ers will come back except Davis and there might be an outside shot of Harden joining the team in 2014, because he is so young and wasn't a huge part of the 2012 team. Anyways, that's just a hunch. I believe Davis is a future All-NBA level player and potentially a great FIBA rules player as well. He's long, versatile and can affect the game without needing touches.

I agree with most of your picks. Irving should be a leader and a huge part of the team, without a doubt. I like Curry and Gordon but Curry didn't impress me in 2010 and he's had health issues. Gordon also has the health issues but he always looked good in 2010. He's strong, an underrated defender and can play off the ball. I'd love to see him on the team.

I'm also a fan of John Wall. I think he has a lot of learning to do right now but I think he is going to improve dramatically over the next 1-2 years. He has all the tools. I'm not sure how great of a FIBA rules player he would be but he is a pass first PG who, I think, can be a good leader if he is surrounded by great finishers.

Other guards or wings I like include Klay Thompson, Paul George and, as you mentioned, Kawhi Leonard. All these guys, I think would be good fits for the national team for different reasons. I'm a big fan of George- I think he'll be an all star in a couple of years.

As for big men I like Aldridge like you said and I do like Millsap who is an underrated player. I think he doesn't excel at any one thing but he is very good at a lot of things. That, plus the fact that he plays in Utah kind of keeps him under the radar. I've never heard of him having interest in Team USA or Team USA being interested in him so he's probably a long shot.

If we wanted one more post guy who can face his man up from 15 feet or play with his back to the basket besides Aldridge I would take Greg Monroe. The guy isn't a highlight reel guy but he is very skilled and doesn't make a lot of mistakes. He's really solid but is another guy whose skill set may or may not translate to FIBA rules.

Griffin, I think may play in 2014 since he didn't get a chance to play this year. If he can be an energy guy, crashing the boards, playing solid D and getting out on the break then he belongs on the team. He isn't the ideal FIBA player but I think if he could do those things mentioned he would be valuable.

One last guy I really like that I also think will be an all star in 2-3 years just like George is Derrick Favors. The guy moves so smoothly and again, can contribute without needing to have the ball in his hands. For FIBA ball I like long, lanky post players who can come from the weak side quickly to alter shots and who can also close out on perimeter players. He's also a good rebounder and hustle guy.

Out of the incoming rooks I like Kidd-Gilchrist, Beal and Lillard as possible guys for this team too.

So this would be my roster:

PG Irving, Wall, Holiday
            SG Harden, Gordon, Thompson
            SF George, Leonard
            PF Griffin, Aldridge
            C Davis, Favors

with Kidd-Gilchrist, Beal and/or Lillard making the team if they develop well over the next 2 years.

Comment

LeBron James has expressed interest for the 2016 Rio Olympics.

LeBron James: 'It would be great' to play for Team USA in 2016 Rio Olympics
              Sacramento Kings
              HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

Comment

It's still way too early to tell, but it seems your impressions are right on all accounts. Durant probably would play in 2016, and I do think that LeBron would be a possibility: being Team USA's all-time leading scorer and the only four-time Team USA Olympian has to have some legacy appeal.

As for 2014, unfortunately it seems like Davis is the most likely person from this 2012 team to make a reappearance. For what it's worth, ESPN is quoting a sketchy "insider" as saying that 2014 will be a youth movement team highlighted by players like Irving and Davis

Source: http://espn.go.com/olympics/summer/2...sa-roster-2016

They have to do youth movement. Their priority is always Olympic, so whoever plays well in 2014 will get chance at glory in 2016. I don't think Lebron will play. I think Durant, Westbrook, Love and Davis will all be there in 2016 if healthy. Griffin will also be there and Irving and I think both of them will play in 2014. Once again, I think team USA will be composed of versatile players. They got away last 2010 with Iguodoka at 4 and Odom at 5. The pattern continues, use speed and play uptempo.

Comment

Jerry Colangelo to stay with Team USA through Rio in 2016
                  Sacramento Kings
                  HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

Comment

PG Irving, Wall, Holiday
                    SG Harden, Gordon, Thompson
                    SF George, Leonard
                    PF Griffin, Aldridge
                    C Davis, Favors
                    So what you guys basically saying here - USA won't have super players in Rio if Lebron and Durant wouldn't be there?

I really doubt some of these player could develop into that level. Maybe I would bet for Irving as having the best chances of that.

And the fronline - not even a smell of new Shaq or Duncan.
                    LTU NT will snatch Eurobasket 2029 title with this roster:

Jokubaitis, Marciulionis, Laurencikas
                    Indrusaitis, Brazdeikis, Rubstavicius
                    Buzelis, Lelevicius
                    Murauskas, Sirvydis
                    Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Originally posted by Straight forward View Post
                      So what you guys basically saying here - USA won't have super players in Rio if Lebron and Durant wouldn't be there?

I really doubt some of these player could develop into that level. Maybe I would bet for Irving as having the best chances of that.

And the fronline - not even a smell of new Shaq or Duncan.
                      The players I had listed were who I thought would go to Spain in 2014. As for Rio 2016- I think the big names will go- Durant almost for sure given his age in 2016 and Lebron I'd say 50/50. Rose, Westbrook, Howard, Paul, Love are all strong possibilities too. Just my opinion.
                      Last edited by NorCal; 09-01-2012, 06:34 PM.

Comment

The players I had listed were who I thought would go to Spain in 2014. As for Rio 2016- I think the big names will go- Durant almost for sure given his age in 2016 and Lebron I'd say 50/50. Rose, Westbrook, Howard, Paul, Love are all strong possibilities too. Just my opinion.
                        OK, my mistake. But "Rose, Westbrook, Howard, Paul, Love" are all in defferent category compared with "Durant, Lebron, Kobe" in my view.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                        Murauskas, Sirvydis
                        Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

If USA take it seriusly they will be dominate with no problems. Not just becose of them, but because iternational basketball is in crisis with producing "masters" of game.

Today iternationall basketball has more quality players then ever, but since 83. born players and yunger there are not so many real masters like Gasol, Nowitzki, Parker, Papaloukas, Kirilenko, Navarro, Jasikevicius, Turkoglu, Stojakovic, Bodiroga, Ginobili, Scola...etc. and those are the ones that beat USA because they gave extra quality to their teams

today basketball developent in Europe gone the wrong way. There are few yunger exceptions, but mostly today only specialst are made in Europe. I hope there will be more "superstars" in younger generations, because let's say from 83.-87. there were not manny dominate players in internationall basketall, the "real masters"

I know Terrorizerr will take this out of contest once again, but tell me now in 2012 wich players are still best in their teams, teams that fight for medals then 30 year old frats named Gasol, Parker, Ginobili, Kirilenko, Nowitzki etc. ?

Euro coaches as leaders of international basketball devlopment realy need to question their yuth level program and strategy of development in crutial period from 18 to 20 years, when kids become senior players
                          Jordi Bertomeu sucks!

Comment

Originally posted by pohani komarac View Post
                            If USA take it seriusly they will be dominate with no problems. Not just becose of them, but because iternational basketball is in crisis with producing "masters" of game.

Today iternationall basketball has more quality players then ever, but since 83. born players and yunger there are not so many real masters like Gasol, Nowitzki, Parker, Papaloukas, Kirilenko, Navarro, Jasikevicius, Turkoglu, Stojakovic, Bodiroga, Ginobili, Scola...etc. and those are the ones that beat USA because they gave extra quality to their teams

today basketball developent in Europe gone the wrong way. There are few yunger exceptions, but mostly today only specialst are made in Europe. I hope there will be more "superstars" in younger generations, because let's say from 83.-87. there were not manny dominate players in internationall basketall, the "real masters"

I know Terrorizerr will take this out of contest once again, but tell me now in 2012 wich players are still best in their teams, teams that fight for medals then 30 year old frats named Gasol, Parker, Ginobili, Kirilenko, Nowitzki etc. ?

Euro coaches as leaders of international basketball devlopment realy need to question their yuth level program and strategy of development in crutial period from 18 to 20 years, when kids become senior players
                            I think that the crisis will be good for the players development in some countries. Take Olympiakos for example, they do have some potential stars walking around. And the only reason they were playing last year was because of budget cuts.
                            PAO EUROPEAN CHAMPION 1996 - 2000 - 2002 - 2007 - 2009 - 2011

Comment

Originally posted by pohani komarac View Post

I'm not so sure about his "crisis". Off course for a new guys like Rubio, Teodosič, Mirotič, Valančiūnas, Sarič, Kanter, Motiejūnas, Hesonja, Calathes (the list is long, but these should be mentioned) will be difficult to "compete" with Dirks', Pau's, Manu's talent. But, why would 30-33yo player should be worse than 20-24yo players? I mean give young players some time. There will be masters of the game and probably bigger part of them will come not from my mentioned list.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                              Murauskas, Sirvydis
                              Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

I'm not so sure about his "crisis". Off course for a new guys like Rubio, Teodosič, Mirotič, Valančiūnas, Sarič, Kanter, Motiejūnas, Hesonja, Calathes (the list is long, but these should be mentioned) will be difficult to "compete" with Dirks', Pau's, Manu's talent. But, why would 30-33yo player should be worse than 20-24yo players? I mean give young players some time. There will be masters of the game and probably bigger part of them will come not from my mentioned list.
                                let's leave kids and see how they develope....but let's say 83-87.

not very "rich" generations....consistatly dominated by same old guy...non did eventually puted them self infront of old frats

last sevrel years was dominated by same old players...gasol, dirk, parker, ak, ginobili and is still the same, while 83.-87. born guys always look in their back with maybe exception of few decent players like bargnani, klieza, lorbek....bu when those are best what euro basketball gave latly besides bargnani you know there is problem
                                Jordi Bertomeu sucks!

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information