Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 49

Thread: Will 2014-2020 be as successful as 2006-2012 for Team USA?

  1. #21
    Senior Member Jon_Koncak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,881

    Default

    Considering Durant will only be 25 in 2014 and 31 in 2020 it's safe to say that yes Usa will be as dominant as during 06-12.

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,273
    Country: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NorCal View Post
    I can see that there have been a number of good players in those classes but to say that they are the best for Team USA simply isn't true. The best in decades? Wow........and..........no.

    And I guess we'll agree to disagree about Rondo. The guy who led the league in assists is "not even remotely a PG"? And how is he "not guarded on every play"? That simply is not true. I think you are misinterpreting defenders backing off of him because of his broken jumper with not defending him. He's a very good rebounder for his size and is the glue that makes that Celtics offense go. Plus, he comes up big in playoff games all the time. I partially agree with you about the going for steals but I would reel back your comment and say he 'goes for steals too often' instead of 'plays no defense and only goes for steals'. He's a disruptor on the defensive side of the ball which, historically, it has been shown that most teams need one guy who disrupts and plays the passing lanes to be successful. His win shares, wins against replacement player, defensive win shares, assist %, Player Efficiency Rating all say he is a very good player. And you have it wrong that he couldn't score until this year, that's backwards. He actually scored more and was more efficient 2-3 years ago.

    I admit that he's actually taken a step back in the last year on the offensive end, IMO. But many of your claims about him, well, the evidence just isn't there to back it up. I think the guy is a top 20 player in the league.
    You should really drop the attitude until you learn more about basketball. The generation labeled the "hip hop" generation of basketball produced immature, often flawed players with the exception of guys like LeBron. This generation, on the other hand, produced mature, more complete players who play the game the right way with the exception of a few players who never had to work hard enough to grow up and so they didn't go anywhere.

    He led the league in assists because he only passed the ball when he would get an assist and because the players he passes it to are some of the best, most talented scorers in the league. He doesn't play like a point guard and never has. At best, he plays like a combo guard. He actually doesn't get guarded so yeah it is completely true. How can you call somebody who missed open layups, could barely shoot or even do any kind of skilled move before this year an "efficient scorer"? They didn't defend him because he was not, isn't now, and isn't ever going to be the focus of the offense on any good team. He's not a good rebounder just because he gets high stats. He goes into the paint when he should be playing defense or getting back after a missed shot. He is not even remotely any kind of glue but in fact an anchor who holds his team back. He didn't come up big in any playoff games; I've watched them all. He's not any kind of defender, not a disruptor or anything else. He's somebody who goes for steals because he's all about the attention and glory. Those "advanced" stats are bullshit and made up by nerds who don't actually understand the game.

    Actually, the evidence of the game film is in fact there. You think wrong. If you want to learn, give me the time to and I can point out to you in any piece of game tape you can find exactly what he does wrong and why, even his "highlights".

    Quote Originally Posted by CKR13 View Post
    We could also argue the case of Roy Hibbert who wanted his release from Jamaica's national basketball federation to be able to suit up for Team USA. FIBA Article 3-23 says otherwise.
    So does this mean that Ryan Richards won't be able to suit up for Jamaica either?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_Koncak View Post
    Considering Durant will only be 25 in 2014 and 31 in 2020 it's safe to say that yes Usa will be as dominant as during 06-12.
    But he doesn't do the things LeBron does when it comes to being a point-forward or on the defensive end. Who's going to do that in the future or do you think maybe the USA instead goes to a more traditional set-up with a guy who mainly defends and hits shots at the 3 and having the PG run the offense at all times?

  3. #23
    Senior Member CKR13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Roanoke, VA
    Posts
    22,080
    Country: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CHBB View Post
    So does this mean that Ryan Richards won't be able to suit up for Jamaica either?
    Yes. Richards should continue with GB.
    Sacramento Kings
    HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

  4. #24
    Senior Member NorCal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    972
    Country: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CHBB View Post
    You should really drop the attitude until you learn more about basketball. The generation labeled the "hip hop" generation of basketball produced immature, often flawed players with the exception of guys like LeBron. This generation, on the other hand, produced mature, more complete players who play the game the right way with the exception of a few players who never had to work hard enough to grow up and so they didn't go anywhere.

    He led the league in assists because he only passed the ball when he would get an assist and because the players he passes it to are some of the best, most talented scorers in the league. He doesn't play like a point guard and never has. At best, he plays like a combo guard. He actually doesn't get guarded so yeah it is completely true. How can you call somebody who missed open layups, could barely shoot or even do any kind of skilled move before this year an "efficient scorer"? They didn't defend him because he was not, isn't now, and isn't ever going to be the focus of the offense on any good team. He's not a good rebounder just because he gets high stats. He goes into the paint when he should be playing defense or getting back after a missed shot. He is not even remotely any kind of glue but in fact an anchor who holds his team back. He didn't come up big in any playoff games; I've watched them all. He's not any kind of defender, not a disruptor or anything else. He's somebody who goes for steals because he's all about the attention and glory. Those "advanced" stats are bullshit and made up by nerds who don't actually understand the game.

    Actually, the evidence of the game film is in fact there. You think wrong. If you want to learn, give me the time to and I can point out to you in any piece of game tape you can find exactly what he does wrong and why, even his "highlights".

    So does this mean that Ryan Richards won't be able to suit up for Jamaica either?

    But he doesn't do the things LeBron does when it comes to being a point-forward or on the defensive end. Who's going to do that in the future or do you think maybe the USA instead goes to a more traditional set-up with a guy who mainly defends and hits shots at the 3 and having the PG run the offense at all times?
    Well it simply seems like we won't be seeing eye to eye and I'll resist the urge to put you in your place for saying that I'm the one who needs to drop the attitude.

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,273
    Country: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NorCal View Post
    Well it simply seems like we won't be seeing eye to eye and I'll resist the urge to put you in your place for saying that I'm the one who needs to drop the attitude.
    You'll "resist the urge to" because you're incapable of it. You mouthed off to somebody who knows more about basketball than you, somebody who can back everything he says up with game tape. Have you ever even played basketball? I have and do pretty damn often against all kinds of very talented players, some of whom played in college. I know why players like Rondo are an anchor that holds the team back, how important it is for your point guard to not be an attention-whore and to get you the ball consistently in a place where you're comfortable, etc. I clearly know a lot more about basketball than you do, no matter what stats you try to pull out of your ass.
    Last edited by CHBB; 08-17-2012 at 07:00 PM.

  6. #26
    Senior Member NorCal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    972
    Country: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CHBB View Post
    You'll "resist the urge to" because you're incapable of it. You mouthed off to somebody who knows more about basketball than you, somebody who can back everything he says up with game tape. Have you ever even played basketball? I have and do pretty damn often against all kinds of very talented players, some of whom played in college. I know why players like Rondo are an anchor that holds the team back, how important it is for your point guard to not be an attention-whore and to get you the ball consistently in a place where you're comfortable, etc. I clearly know a lot more about basketball than you do, no matter what stats you try to pull out of your ass.
    Nice try, tough guy. I still play on a traveling team that goes all over the state and I'm guessing I've been playing and watching basketball for almost longer than you've been on this Earth.

    Know more than me? Your arguments have been baseless, you back things up with your only evidence being what you see. I back mine up with what I see, along with the opinions of countless experts and statistics that you don't like because, frankly I would bet every penny I have, that you simply don't understand them. Essentially I've got a butt load of evidence and your evidence is in your own head and nowhere else. I don't even know why I'm taking the time to argue this with a guy who doesn't even know how many teams are in the NBA:

    http://forums.interbasket.net/showth...ht=#post724000

    One other point......I see trends in you of not addressing the issue as stated, underlying anger management issues, trying (and failing miserably) to get other posters mad, biases that have no evidence to back them up, incredibly misguided perception of yourself and your limited basketball knowledge...........is that you Fiba Europe Basket/whatever you call yourself these days? Are you still mad about Nigeria? I'm taking a stab in the dark but you remind me of him a lot.

    Either way, I've got an over/under of 70 posts before this guy gets banned.
    Last edited by NorCal; 08-17-2012 at 10:33 PM.

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    219

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_Koncak View Post
    Considering Durant will only be 25 in 2014 and 31 in 2020 it's safe to say that yes Usa will be as dominant as during 06-12.
    I dunno if Durant will want to play in 2014 but I think he will play in 2016 Olympics if healthy. Most likely we will see more young players with few veterans in 2014. Team USA does not really care much about world championship so I am not sure if they will win that.

  8. #28
    Member Pleasant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    63
    Country: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NorCal View Post
    I see trends in you of not addressing the issue as stated, underlying anger management issues, trying (and failing miserably) to get other posters mad, biases that have no evidence to back them up, incredibly misguided perception of yourself and your limited basketball knowledge...........is that you Fiba Europe Basket/whatever you call yourself these days? Are you still mad about Nigeria? I'm taking a stab in the dark but you remind me of him a lot.
    Haha! I know who you mean; he's still trolling on some smaller, unmoderated blogs. If you're interested in hearing the latest from him, it seems that David Stern, in addition to bribing the Olympic refs (as usual) also bribed the Spanish federation to force them to play its inferior NBA players because he knew that they would beat Team USA if they played their superior Euroleague players

    While I see the similarities between the two in terms of posting styles and impolite language, I also think the FIBA guy is genetically incapable of saying anything good about the USA or anything that (even indirectly) questions the superiority of Spanoulis and Greek basketball in general

    My three stabs in the dark about CHBB:

    1. He's just a guy who's very passionate and opinionated about his basketball, and lets his emotions get in the way of manners sometimes;
    2. He's the type of person who will never outwardly agree with someone or be able to be convinced to change his mind, because every conversation is a competition that he has to win; or
    3. He really is FIBA/Olympiacos/VS666, posing as a Team USA fan as part of a diabolical plan to make Americans seem mean-spirited and arrogant towards other countries

    All meant in good fun, of course

  9. #29
    Member Pleasant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    63
    Country: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    I dunno if Durant will want to play in 2014 but I think he will play in 2016 Olympics if healthy. Most likely we will see more young players with few veterans in 2014. Team USA does not really care much about world championship so I am not sure if they will win that.
    It's still way too early to tell, but it seems your impressions are right on all accounts. Durant probably would play in 2016, and I do think that LeBron would be a possibility: being Team USA's all-time leading scorer and the only four-time Team USA Olympian has to have some legacy appeal.

    As for 2014, unfortunately it seems like Davis is the most likely person from this 2012 team to make a reappearance. For what it's worth, ESPN is quoting a sketchy "insider" as saying that 2014 will be a youth movement team highlighted by players like Irving and Davis

    Source: http://espn.go.com/olympics/summer/2...sa-roster-2016

  10. #30
    Senior Member NorCal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    972
    Country: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pleasant View Post
    Haha! I know who you mean; he's still trolling on some smaller, unmoderated blogs. If you're interested in hearing the latest from him, it seems that David Stern, in addition to bribing the Olympic refs (as usual) also bribed the Spanish federation to force them to play its inferior NBA players because he knew that they would beat Team USA if they played their superior Euroleague players

    While I see the similarities between the two in terms of posting styles and impolite language, I also think the FIBA guy is genetically incapable of saying anything good about the USA or anything that (even indirectly) questions the superiority of Spanoulis and Greek basketball in general

    My three stabs in the dark about CHBB:

    1. He's just a guy who's very passionate and opinionated about his basketball, and lets his emotions get in the way of manners sometimes;
    2. He's the type of person who will never outwardly agree with someone or be able to be convinced to change his mind, because every conversation is a competition that he has to win; or
    3. He really is FIBA/Olympiacos/VS666, posing as a Team USA fan as part of a diabolical plan to make Americans seem mean-spirited and arrogant towards other countries

    All meant in good fun, of course
    Yeah I've caught some of 'internet basketball's most famous troll' on some other sites. At some point it actually becomes pretty entertaining instead of frustrating.

    As for CHBB- assuming he's not Fiba Europe Basket- I don't have a problem with disagreeing with each other, its just the way he phrases everything in a confrontational manner and dismisses things you say that he doesn't agree on with abrasive language. Nobody likes being talked to (or written to I should say) in that way and so of course there are going to be disputes. CHBB- just tone it down a little bit and none of these threads will become flame wars. I'd like to hear your opinion on all things basketball and will respect it going forward as long as you'll do the same.

  11. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,273
    Country: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NorCal View Post
    Nice try, tough guy. I still play on a traveling team that goes all over the state and I'm guessing I've been playing and watching basketball for almost longer than you've been on this Earth.

    Know more than me? Your arguments have been baseless, you back things up with your only evidence being what you see. I back mine up with what I see, along with the opinions of countless experts and statistics that you don't like because, frankly I would bet every penny I have, that you simply don't understand them. Essentially I've got a butt load of evidence and your evidence is in your own head and nowhere else. I don't even know why I'm taking the time to argue this with a guy who doesn't even know how many teams are in the NBA:

    http://forums.interbasket.net/showth...ht=#post724000

    One other point......I see trends in you of not addressing the issue as stated, underlying anger management issues, trying (and failing miserably) to get other posters mad, biases that have no evidence to back them up, incredibly misguided perception of yourself and your limited basketball knowledge...........is that you Fiba Europe Basket/whatever you call yourself these days? Are you still mad about Nigeria? I'm taking a stab in the dark but you remind me of him a lot.

    Either way, I've got an over/under of 70 posts before this guy gets banned.
    California's a fucking joke, kid. I've been playing against grown players who would make your best players look like unskilled nerds since I was a teenager.

    Yeah, know more than you. You don't back anything up because you don't make arguments in the first place. You parrot ESPN, and there are ZERO basketball experts these days. We clear about that fact? Who's an expert exactly? Name one legitimate expert. You're just another bitch-ass internet nerd thinking he's an expert on a sport he knows nothing about. Ohhhh you play for a TRAVEL TEAM? Oh my GOD! So do twelve year olds around here. I don't put my business on the internet so don't expect me to go bragging about where I play. Unlike you, I'm not some delusional YMCA player. Oh no! I messed up and said 32 (while watching the NFL) instead of 30! That means of course that everything I say is invalid. You fucking joke.

    Come say any of that to my face you Cali bitch. I fucking dare you. For real. Go ahead, you tough talking little nerd.

    You can talk all the shit you like but all you are is WORDS. You've got nothing to back it up whatsoever. You try to say "people overestimate their ability to comprehend basketball" because YOU can't comprehend it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pleasant View Post
    Haha! I know who you mean; he's still trolling on some smaller, unmoderated blogs. If you're interested in hearing the latest from him, it seems that David Stern, in addition to bribing the Olympic refs (as usual) also bribed the Spanish federation to force them to play its inferior NBA players because he knew that they would beat Team USA if they played their superior Euroleague players

    While I see the similarities between the two in terms of posting styles and impolite language, I also think the FIBA guy is genetically incapable of saying anything good about the USA or anything that (even indirectly) questions the superiority of Spanoulis and Greek basketball in general

    My three stabs in the dark about CHBB:

    1. He's just a guy who's very passionate and opinionated about his basketball, and lets his emotions get in the way of manners sometimes;
    2. He's the type of person who will never outwardly agree with someone or be able to be convinced to change his mind, because every conversation is a competition that he has to win; or
    3. He really is FIBA/Olympiacos/VS666, posing as a Team USA fan as part of a diabolical plan to make Americans seem mean-spirited and arrogant towards other countries

    All meant in good fun, of course
    Quote Originally Posted by NorCal View Post
    Yeah I've caught some of 'internet basketball's most famous troll' on some other sites. At some point it actually becomes pretty entertaining instead of frustrating.

    As for CHBB- assuming he's not Fiba Europe Basket- I don't have a problem with disagreeing with each other, its just the way he phrases everything in a confrontational manner and dismisses things you say that he doesn't agree on with abrasive language. Nobody likes being talked to (or written to I should say) in that way and so of course there are going to be disputes. CHBB- just tone it down a little bit and none of these threads will become flame wars. I'd like to hear your opinion on all things basketball and will respect it going forward as long as you'll do the same.
    Yo who the FUCK do you kids think you're talking to? Huh? I'm from right outside Philly, bitch, and I'll smack the taste out of your fucking mouth if you badmouth me. My username stands for my hometown, somewhere I am VERY proud to be from because, among other reasons, it doesn't produce loudmouth fucking nerds like you. Allow me to tell you this for a second time since you don't get it. Real life just came to your internet paradise so watch your fucking mouth because where I come from, we beat loudmouth nerds who can't back shit up into a pulp. Think I'm fucking playing with you?

    Don't disrespect people and talk the wrong way to people and you won't hear it back. What a bunch of little kids, trying to flip everything onto everybody else.

  12. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,273
    Country: United States

    Default

    This is the last post I will address any of the USA disgraces to basketball with. You know who you are, and if you don't, well I don't really give a fuck.

    You're not experts on basketball. If you were more humble and more intelligent, you'd take the opportunity to SHUT UP and LISTEN and LEARN from somebody who is. You want to talk and talk and talk because of your little egos but then when I say to call my bluff and challenge me to point out everything on game tape, you want to just talk some more and ignore my offer because you must deep down know that you don't know as much as you'd like to think.

    If it weren't the case, you'd tell me to fulfill my offer or shut up. That's the way a conversation about anything ends when somebody tries to act like he or she is an expert. You say to prove it or shut up. Otherwise, you're just as full of shit as you're claiming they are because you clearly don't want the truth to come to light or to risk the chance of being proven wrong.

    Oh no! I might get banned from a site on the internet because some little USA nerds have a problem with having their little bit of basketball knowledge challenged! This of course must mean I'm not as intelligent about basketball as I claim, because it doesn't matter that these nerds are just projecting what they're doing onto me and playing some bitch ass childish games like other internet nerds do. Definitely not. It's a shame, too. Now I'll have to stop playing basketball because some internet nerds told me I don't know anything about it. Time to go cry.

    Now feel free to talk all the shit you want. I'm not responding to any of the disgraceful ambassadors making MY COUNTY look bad. That's right, I'm from the US as well, right outside of Philly as I already said.

  13. #33
    Senior Member NorCal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    972
    Country: United States

    Default

    Damn, man, this guy's from Philly, that makes him tough. I better shut my mouth.

    What a joke.

    Anyways, mods, if you read this, don't worry about me, I'll be ignoring CHBB from now on.

    Back to the topic- Pleasant, I agree with you, I think 2014 will be a youth movement. I think the USA has re-placed itself atop the international basketball world and our key guys will let the young guns come in. Its two years from now but I'm excited to see the team as there are a number of guys who I think will be great FIBA rules players.

  14. #34
    Member Pleasant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    63
    Country: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NorCal View Post
    Its two years from now but I'm excited to see the team as there are a number of guys who I think will be great FIBA rules players.
    Assuming (just for discussion) that none of the 2012 players come back to compete in Spain, who do you have in mind as guys who would be good FIBA players for each position? Here are some players I'd like to see:

    Kyrie Irving is my favorite young player and I want to see his Team USA in action. He apparently dominated during the USA/USA Select scrimmages, and his rookie season was way better than D-Will's and arguably better than Chris Paul's. In two years, if he keeps it up, he'll be due for a big-stage international explosion like Durant in 2010.

    Two guards from the 2010 squad I'd like to see again are Eric Gordon and Steph Curry. I remember Gordon had some strong showings in Turkey, but obviously that team was Durant's when it mattered, and so I think Gordon is severely underrated internationally. With Curry, pure shooting is always an asset against FIBA zones, and if future USA teams rely on the outside shot as much as we did this year, he surely has a place on the roster.

    Another swingman that may be a longshot to make the team but whose game I really like is Kawhi Leonard. Excellent defense, good movement without the ball, good passing, and solid shooting - he's the consummate role player and, as a rookie, already showed he could play a major role on an elite, cerebral team. Hey, he was on the select team, so maybe it's not too far-fetched

    As for big men, Lamarcus Aldridge and Paul Millsap are the players I'd really like to see LMA is self-explanatory, but even though Millsap is a high-level defender, excellent rebounder, and efficient scorer, I haven't ever heard much buzz about him playing with Team USA. On a team sure to be loaded with players with offensive talent, a no-ego player who doesn't worry about touches and scores only as he needs to is an asset.

    Bynum would a beast, of course, but I remember reading that he had no interest in playing for Team USA because of health concerns.

    As for the current rookie class, I would say at first glance that Michael Kidd-Gilchrist and Bradley Beal seem to be the most promising, but I want to see them play in the NBA before judging them as players.

  15. #35
    Senior Member NorCal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    972
    Country: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pleasant View Post
    Assuming (just for discussion) that none of the 2012 players come back to compete in Spain, who do you have in mind as guys who would be good FIBA players for each position? Here are some players I'd like to see:

    Kyrie Irving is my favorite young player and I want to see his Team USA in action. He apparently dominated during the USA/USA Select scrimmages, and his rookie season was way better than D-Will's and arguably better than Chris Paul's. In two years, if he keeps it up, he'll be due for a big-stage international explosion like Durant in 2010.

    Two guards from the 2010 squad I'd like to see again are Eric Gordon and Steph Curry. I remember Gordon had some strong showings in Turkey, but obviously that team was Durant's when it mattered, and so I think Gordon is severely underrated internationally. With Curry, pure shooting is always an asset against FIBA zones, and if future USA teams rely on the outside shot as much as we did this year, he surely has a place on the roster.

    Another swingman that may be a longshot to make the team but whose game I really like is Kawhi Leonard. Excellent defense, good movement without the ball, good passing, and solid shooting - he's the consummate role player and, as a rookie, already showed he could play a major role on an elite, cerebral team. Hey, he was on the select team, so maybe it's not too far-fetched

    As for big men, Lamarcus Aldridge and Paul Millsap are the players I'd really like to see LMA is self-explanatory, but even though Millsap is a high-level defender, excellent rebounder, and efficient scorer, I haven't ever heard much buzz about him playing with Team USA. On a team sure to be loaded with players with offensive talent, a no-ego player who doesn't worry about touches and scores only as he needs to is an asset.

    Bynum would a beast, of course, but I remember reading that he had no interest in playing for Team USA because of health concerns.

    As for the current rookie class, I would say at first glance that Michael Kidd-Gilchrist and Bradley Beal seem to be the most promising, but I want to see them play in the NBA before judging them as players.
    I don't think any of the 2012ers will come back except Davis and there might be an outside shot of Harden joining the team in 2014, because he is so young and wasn't a huge part of the 2012 team. Anyways, that's just a hunch. I believe Davis is a future All-NBA level player and potentially a great FIBA rules player as well. He's long, versatile and can affect the game without needing touches.

    I agree with most of your picks. Irving should be a leader and a huge part of the team, without a doubt. I like Curry and Gordon but Curry didn't impress me in 2010 and he's had health issues. Gordon also has the health issues but he always looked good in 2010. He's strong, an underrated defender and can play off the ball. I'd love to see him on the team.

    I'm also a fan of John Wall. I think he has a lot of learning to do right now but I think he is going to improve dramatically over the next 1-2 years. He has all the tools. I'm not sure how great of a FIBA rules player he would be but he is a pass first PG who, I think, can be a good leader if he is surrounded by great finishers.

    Other guards or wings I like include Klay Thompson, Paul George and, as you mentioned, Kawhi Leonard. All these guys, I think would be good fits for the national team for different reasons. I'm a big fan of George- I think he'll be an all star in a couple of years.

    As for big men I like Aldridge like you said and I do like Millsap who is an underrated player. I think he doesn't excel at any one thing but he is very good at a lot of things. That, plus the fact that he plays in Utah kind of keeps him under the radar. I've never heard of him having interest in Team USA or Team USA being interested in him so he's probably a long shot.

    If we wanted one more post guy who can face his man up from 15 feet or play with his back to the basket besides Aldridge I would take Greg Monroe. The guy isn't a highlight reel guy but he is very skilled and doesn't make a lot of mistakes. He's really solid but is another guy whose skill set may or may not translate to FIBA rules.

    Griffin, I think may play in 2014 since he didn't get a chance to play this year. If he can be an energy guy, crashing the boards, playing solid D and getting out on the break then he belongs on the team. He isn't the ideal FIBA player but I think if he could do those things mentioned he would be valuable.

    One last guy I really like that I also think will be an all star in 2-3 years just like George is Derrick Favors. The guy moves so smoothly and again, can contribute without needing to have the ball in his hands. For FIBA ball I like long, lanky post players who can come from the weak side quickly to alter shots and who can also close out on perimeter players. He's also a good rebounder and hustle guy.

    Out of the incoming rooks I like Kidd-Gilchrist, Beal and Lillard as possible guys for this team too.

    So this would be my roster:

    PG Irving, Wall, Holiday
    SG Harden, Gordon, Thompson
    SF George, Leonard
    PF Griffin, Aldridge
    C Davis, Favors

    with Kidd-Gilchrist, Beal and/or Lillard making the team if they develop well over the next 2 years.

  16. #36
    Senior Member CKR13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Roanoke, VA
    Posts
    22,080
    Country: United States

    Default

    LeBron James has expressed interest for the 2016 Rio Olympics.

    LeBron James: 'It would be great' to play for Team USA in 2016 Rio Olympics
    Sacramento Kings
    HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

  17. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    219

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pleasant View Post
    It's still way too early to tell, but it seems your impressions are right on all accounts. Durant probably would play in 2016, and I do think that LeBron would be a possibility: being Team USA's all-time leading scorer and the only four-time Team USA Olympian has to have some legacy appeal.

    As for 2014, unfortunately it seems like Davis is the most likely person from this 2012 team to make a reappearance. For what it's worth, ESPN is quoting a sketchy "insider" as saying that 2014 will be a youth movement team highlighted by players like Irving and Davis

    Source: http://espn.go.com/olympics/summer/2...sa-roster-2016

    They have to do youth movement. Their priority is always Olympic, so whoever plays well in 2014 will get chance at glory in 2016. I don't think Lebron will play. I think Durant, Westbrook, Love and Davis will all be there in 2016 if healthy. Griffin will also be there and Irving and I think both of them will play in 2014. Once again, I think team USA will be composed of versatile players. They got away last 2010 with Iguodoka at 4 and Odom at 5. The pattern continues, use speed and play uptempo.

  18. #38
    Senior Member CKR13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Roanoke, VA
    Posts
    22,080
    Country: United States
    Sacramento Kings
    HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

  19. #39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NorCal View Post
    PG Irving, Wall, Holiday
    SG Harden, Gordon, Thompson
    SF George, Leonard
    PF Griffin, Aldridge
    C Davis, Favors
    So what you guys basically saying here - USA won't have super players in Rio if Lebron and Durant wouldn't be there?

    I really doubt some of these player could develop into that level. Maybe I would bet for Irving as having the best chances of that.

    And the fronline - not even a smell of new Shaq or Duncan.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The flick from the future...

  20. #40
    Senior Member NorCal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    972
    Country: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Straight forward View Post
    So what you guys basically saying here - USA won't have super players in Rio if Lebron and Durant wouldn't be there?

    I really doubt some of these player could develop into that level. Maybe I would bet for Irving as having the best chances of that.

    And the fronline - not even a smell of new Shaq or Duncan.
    The players I had listed were who I thought would go to Spain in 2014. As for Rio 2016- I think the big names will go- Durant almost for sure given his age in 2016 and Lebron I'd say 50/50. Rose, Westbrook, Howard, Paul, Love are all strong possibilities too. Just my opinion.
    Last edited by NorCal; 09-01-2012 at 06:34 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •