Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does the Philippine team need to watch out for (vol III)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nardy View Post
    actually the FIBA officials in Switzerland like the idea as they want the World Basketball Championship (WBC) to match or even surpass the popularity of the FIFA World Cup ..... do note they already change the name of the WBC to FIBA Basketball World Cup. By cooperating more with the NBA would mean FIBA could get a bigger part of the pie which they do not have to share with the IOC. So by having the NBA players exclusively at the FIBA Basketball World Cup would give it a bigger prestige as a tournament which is how the soccer football world look up to the FIFA World Cup.

At the present set-up the presence of NBA players added popularity of basketball in the Olympics but it practically alienated the rest of the field to play for Silver instead of the Gold which is practically in the bag for Team USA. Truth is the only true rival of Team USA is itself being overconfident which happened in 2002 to 2004.
    Exactly Nardy.

From the other thread in reply to your comment you also posted there and this thread:

Yes it will make the competition more balanced and parity is to be expected. However, the Olympics would be less prestigious and that will go a long way in selling this particular Olympic product. i have zero argument that the NBA can still send a strong team composing of U23 players and even still be considered the favorite in future tournament but people will have to accept the fact that the luster will lose in such competitions (similar to Olympic football-- who really cares who comes out as champions there?).

Remember why the NBA is pushing for this, they want the FIBA Worlds to gain traction (not at the FIFA World Cup level obviously but it's a start) and they WANT to co-brand the Worlds-- meaning they want the profit with it as well. Can't blame them really because in the Olympics, it's the IOC who's making a killing with the gates, sponsors profit while the NBA is getting none-- really, do you want your investments to be used by others with nothing in return? People will argue: what about patriotism? Then tell that to the IOC; are they giving enough protection (say insurance) to those who participate? What about profit sharing? Is there enough to go around to s
    hare to all the countries participating? i admit, NBA owners are SELFISH indeed but they see a selfish entity in the IOC as well, so to an extent, they do have a point.
    If there is no basketball in heaven, i am NOT going.

SMALLBALL, bitches..

Comment

Originally posted by durden_tyler View Post
      Exactly Nardy.

From the other thread in reply to your comment you also posted there and this thread:

hare to all the countries participating? i admit, NBA owners are SELFISH indeed but they see a selfish entity in the IOC as well, so to an extent, they do have a point.
      You are correct. Also have to point-out with FIBA U23 plan for the Olympics, they plan to share the wealth on the big bounty they are expecting from the FIBA Basketball World Cup with the NBA which was not the case with the Olympics.

in other words, they plan to be partners in crime. With the IOC, they don't get any but if they make their tournament more prestigious then the "basketball community" of FIBA and the NBA would be very happy with the wind-fall they're expecting. They saw the great potential after the 2010 FIBA World Championship in Turkey.

This would also be a way to avoid banging heads with the NBA Owners who are worried their investments (players) getting injured or fatigued in international tournaments which they had to play every year each summer after a long NBA season because of the way FIBA scheduled its Qualifying tournaments and global championships. Said cycle would no longer be a continuous every year thing and you'll have the NBA players get a break with at least 2 summers of rest.
      Last edited by nardy; 07-30-2012, 12:13 PM.
      LABAN KUNG LABAN! KAYA NATIN PILIPINAS!
      Mabuhay ang TEAM PILIPINAS !!!!

NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE!
      THE DREAM LIVES ON !!!!

Comment

such a scheme would deprive the Olympics of the Top Stars of the NBA but it gives the other teams a better chance of winning the Gold Medal in Olympic Basketball than the odds they have today.

So if you are the other countries, would you like to be mere spectators and just compete for the silver medal or do you want your team to have a chance to win a Gold Medal.

So having the NBA players just play at the FIBA Basketball World Cup would mean Team USA is not guaranteed a Gold Medal in both the Olympics and the FIBA Basketball World Cup thus giving the other teams an opportunity to succeed in the Olympic Games. Just look at Soccer Football .... with the U23 format Africans Cameroon became a world power and Japan is a strong contender unlike before its only dominated by South American and European countries.

So what do you think ..... would the other countries to be contented to always just compete to be 2nd best in global competitions or would they want in the biggest games at the Olympics you have a chance to win the Gold.

During the time the competition was not Open with the US represented by college players, the other countries were happy as they could compete. now that the US is back in its dominating ways, the other countries would like to find ways to level the playing field.
        or maybe it's a precaution since the world is already catching up with the US? Right now the US can still overwhelm the competition, but can we say the same in the next 20 years? US losing with it's best players on the roster would have a huge impact on the NBA. Sterns see's this so he might as well use a basketball world cup to ensure that their organization would have a complete control on revenue in the world of basketball... Business still, I know. Sooner or later the competition would catch up with the US, and if that happens.... Euroleague, and others would have an equal share of the global market. So why share, and potentially lose your players to rival leagues when you can be sitting above everybody? Just my 2 cents.
        sigpic

Parties, Potluck, Meetings... No Time to Cook, Budget a bit tight. Need a catering service, food tray, or packed lunch?

Try this: https://www.facebook.com/kitchennipam

Comment

Originally posted by ArAg0n View Post
          or maybe it's a precaution since the world is already catching up with the US? Right now the US can still overwhelm the competition, but can we say the same in the next 20 years? US losing with it's best players on the roster would have a huge impact on the NBA. Sterns see's this so he might as well use a basketball world cup to ensure that their organization would have a complete control on revenue in the world of basketball... Business still, I know. Sooner or later the competition would catch up with the US, and if that happens.... Euroleague, and others would have an equal share of the global market. So why share, and potentially lose your players to rival leagues when you can be sitting above everybody? Just my 2 cents.
          the rest of the world could catch-up but it depends if the US stop producing freak of nature players like Kobe, LeBron, DWade, DRose, KD, Griffin, Love or even Westbrook whom Magic Johnson called the worst Point Guard. Its the Americans' COLLECTIVE superior athleticism over other players that really separates them from the other countries.

I think 2004 was a fluke as they made a drastic error on having AI and Starburry as their point guards. That's why they corrected it in 2008 by choosing Kidd and CP3. But of course if they send teams that are already below par which also lacks practice together as a team like the teams from 2002 to 2006, then of course disaster is around the corner. Not to disrespect the other teams but its the Americans cockiness and over confidence which led to those defeats.
          Last edited by nardy; 07-30-2012, 03:48 PM.

NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE!
          THE DREAM LIVES ON !!!!

Comment

If that planned U23 for Olympics happens, I wonder if the number of teams qualifying for the olympics will be increased.
            And will the qualifiers be also by u23? who will represent us? UAAP,NCAA and CESAFI are not that cooperative. Will it be team B players from NCAA and UAAP?
            It will be a problem for us again. lol

Comment

the rest of the world could catch-up but it depends if the US stop producing freak of nature players like Kobe, LeBron, DWade, DRose, KD, Griffin, Love or even Westbrook whom Magic Johnson called the worst Point Guard. Its the Americans' COLLECTIVE superior athleticism over other players that really separates them from the other countries.

I think 2004 was a fluke as they made a drastic error on having AI and Starburry as their point guards. That's why they corrected it in 2008 by choosing Kidd and CP3. But of course if they send teams that are already below par which also lacks practice together as a team like the teams from 2002 to 2006, then of course disaster is around the corner. Not to disrespect the other teams but its the Americans cockiness and over confidence which led to those defeats.
              Sir Nards, I agree that their cockiness and over confidence can lead to their fall. Back in 2000 though, with a team back stopped by Garnett, Kidd, Payton etc. almost lost to Lithuania. They narrowly escaped a 2 point victory and almost lost in the semifinals, thankfully that 3 pointer by a Lithuanian player rimmed out. You are correct, they are superior... But it's getting close.
              sigpic

Parties, Potluck, Meetings... No Time to Cook, Budget a bit tight. Need a catering service, food tray, or packed lunch?

Comment

http://www.businessmirror.com.ph/hom...-countrys-name

What’s in a (country’s) name?
                Monday, 30 July 2012 20:47 Jun Lomibao / Sports Editor

LONDON—What’s the difference between the letter L and the letter I by just looking at the two letters?

The tail? Perhaps. But Filipino boxing officials here prefer to be safe than sorry.

Mark Anthony Barriga’s competition uniforms has PHL printed on the back, an abbreviation for Philippines, which is now the standard back home as ordered so by Malacañang.

But the International Olympic Committee, the International Amateur Boxing Association and several other international federations officially recognize the Philippines’s abbreviation as PHI.

“This could be disastrous. We could be the object of a protest,” said Amateur Boxing Association of the Philippines Executive Director Ed Picson.

So late Saturday evening, Picson had to figure out a way to replace that L with an I. Simply putting paint on top of the L’s tail could be courting danger. It was Sunday the next day and shops would be closed. So he thought of ringing Filipino friends the team made while they trained in Cardiff, Wales, in the rundown to London 2012.

And how quick the response was from the Philippine community in Cardiff. Its president, Henry Montoya, contacted a London-based Filipino nurse, Joey Crisostomo, in the dead of the night.

Crisostomo was similarly more than willing to help out and in turn called a Jamaican-Trinidad and Tobagan Briton known only by his first name Bryan, who owns a t-shirt printing shop near Stratford. It was 1 a.m. on Sunday but Bryan took the call and agreed to work on his day off.

“It was a cramped shop with lots of stuff all over. It was a mess, so to say, but Bryan knew what to do. He had everything he needs, like McGyver,” said Picson.

For two hours Bryan worked on two of Barriga’s Accel uniforms. Instead of simply painting the letter L’s tail, he opted to print PHI on another piece of clothe and patched them over the PHL prints.

The uniforms looked as good as new. The cost?

Bryan asked for £75. But Crisostomo, being the true-blooded Filipino that he is despite having been a resident here for 13 years, bargained for £50 and got it.

Problem solved! But Crisostomo’s generosity did not end there. He offered Picson a tour of London in his flashy American Chrysler sedan and there was no way the boxing official could resist.

End of the story. On Tuesday Barriga goes to war with a big letter “W” he would not want to erase from his thoughts.

NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE!
                THE DREAM LIVES ON !!!!

Comment

http://www.fibaasia.net/NewsDetails.aspx?id=2484

29/07/2012
                  OLY: China camp optimistic despite opening game defeat

LONDON, United Kingdom (2012 London Olympics): China lost their opening game in the Group B Prelim Round of the 2012 London Olympics men’s basketball competition against 2008 Beijing Olympics silver medalists Spain on Sunday, but the mood in the camp was one of optimism. Game report.

Yi Jianlian (pic above), currently the only Chinese player in the NBA, scored 30 points and collected a dozen rebounds both game-highs, but he chose to play down his individual achievement.

“I tried to give everything I have as the team leader,” the Dallas Mavericks center said.

“I didn't care much about my performance. I cared about the whole team and the outcome. I didn't play well in the first quarter as I fell into foul trouble. But we kept on and cut the lead as much as we could until the last quarter. Spain is a good team, maybe the best in the world,” said the 25-year-old.

“We gave Spain a scare, but couldn't close them out. I am proud of our players. We must keep working and find a way to get better,” said China coach Bob Donewald Jr.

Guard Wang Shipeng said. “We lost because we were really tired in the fourth quarter. Spain's bench depth is so deep that we faced a whole bunch of 12 players until the end of the game.”

“We lost the first game to a very good team. But we have to maintain the momentum and stay focused. We have to keep faith in ourselves and prepare for the future games,” said Yi Jianlian.

“I thought we did very well in the first period,” said point guard Chen Jianghua. “But we failed to build on it.”

“The way we played against Spain, despite the defeat, has boosted our confidence,” said forward Zhou Peng. “We’ll certainly get better from here.”

Forward Ding Jinhui added: “We have to forget the result of the defeat and the take the positives from the game and move on. We have to prepare well for the game against Russia (on Tuesday).”

FIBA Asia

NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE!
                  THE DREAM LIVES ON !!!!

Comment

http://www.fibaasia.net/NewsDetails.aspx?id=2484

29/07/2012
                    OLY: China camp optimistic despite opening game defeat

LONDON, United Kingdom (2012 London Olympics): China lost their opening game in the Group B Prelim Round of the 2012 London Olympics men’s basketball competition against 2008 Beijing Olympics silver medalists Spain on Sunday, but the mood in the camp was one of optimism. Game report.

Yi Jianlian (pic above), currently the only Chinese player in the NBA, scored 30 points and collected a dozen rebounds both game-highs, but he chose to play down his individual achievement.

“I tried to give everything I have as the team leader,” the Dallas Mavericks center said.

“I didn't care much about my performance. I cared about the whole team and the outcome. I didn't play well in the first quarter as I fell into foul trouble. But we kept on and cut the lead as much as we could until the last quarter. Spain is a good team, maybe the best in the world,” said the 25-year-old.

“We gave Spain a scare, but couldn't close them out. I am proud of our players. We must keep working and find a way to get better,” said China coach Bob Donewald Jr.

Guard Wang Shipeng said. “We lost because we were really tired in the fourth quarter. Spain's bench depth is so deep that we faced a whole bunch of 12 players until the end of the game.”

“We lost the first game to a very good team. But we have to maintain the momentum and stay focused. We have to keep faith in ourselves and prepare for the future games,” said Yi Jianlian.

“I thought we did very well in the first period,” said point guard Chen Jianghua. “But we failed to build on it.”

“The way we played against Spain, despite the defeat, has boosted our confidence,” said forward Zhou Peng. “We’ll certainly get better from here.”

Forward Ding Jinhui added: “We have to forget the result of the defeat and the take the positives from the game and move on. We have to prepare well for the game against Russia (on Tuesday).”

FIBA Asia
                    it's china's weakness.
                    Philippine Malditas to FIFA Womens World Cup 2023

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Silent Killer View Post
                      it's china's weakness.
                      yup it is.. they really don't have a deep pool.. actually, a well trained PHL team can REALLY compete with the second stringers of China.. though their first five is really DEADLY..

Comment

Originally posted by zuma169 View Post
                        yup it is.. they really don't have a deep pool.. actually, a well trained PHL team can REALLY compete with the second stringers of China.. though their first five is really DEADLY..
                        we expose that during 2011 wuhan championships. lack of bench support.
                        Philippine Malditas to FIFA Womens World Cup 2023

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Silent Killer View Post
                          we expose that during 2011 wuhan championships. lack of bench support.
                          As I see it, China is beatable. We just need to avoid playing them pound for pound and start exploiting their weakness. Throughout the years we have been "trying" to play the competition with the best talent we have in each position. Argentina won 2004 not because they are superb individually, but they have role players who knows how to play their part. We can not win against China's height, so let's give them the 4 and 5. We don't need a 4 or 5 who can out score them, what we need is a 4-5 who can atleast minimize their effectiveness. Last time out, it was Douhit who got worn out. Because we wanted him to do everything.

With this, we can concentrate on killing them with our speed. 1,2, and 3 position... This is where we can excel most. Tito Thoots actually made a good point in some of his post about designing plays suited to the talent available. Maximize their potential and not force them to do plays that's better suited for other players. I don't want to start why Aguilar can be an asset to the team. I know he is not that loaded between the ears. But against China, wouldn't he be a better match up against Wang or Yi? Athletic, Good lateral, and Long.... We don't give away easy jump shots, and can keep up if they drive. Hell I care if he fouls out trying. Atleast for the minutes he is on the floor, he can minimize those giants effectiveness. He can also run which is a plus side on the offense is we are to tire out the opposing team. Tama na to, parang ang dunong dunong ko na. You guys can shoot me now for this senseless comment. LOL
                          sigpic

Comment

Yes China is beatable but it is much difficult for now because they have experience while we have not.(In terms of world class competition)

And it does not really help that we don't met the real Chinateam too often nowadays the last time before 2011 is back in 2002 imagine that..
                            To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..
                            1 Big 4 small > 5 out offense.

Comment

watching China...this is like our powerade NT version of china.
                              Bmeg with Bowles can beat them. In FIBA play Bmeg can 50/50. In PBA kind of game Bmeg can beat them 7/10.
                              lolers with my opinion but its what i thought while watching them. They are just longer and more trained. Trained i mean more fit physically.

Philippine national team vs china nt, china still wins by 10 pts. not gonna be more than 20pts anymore.
                              Darling it's better
                              Down where it's wetter
                              Take it from me.

- Sebastian, The Little Mermaid

Comment

Who says its only the Philippines which keeps on changing its Head Coach .....

Baldwin to leave Jordan NT? - Jul 30, 2012
                                POSTED BY: MOHAMMED MALAS

Despite the start of Jordan National Team preperations for Cyprus friendly tournament (Aug 3-5) and William Jones cup (Taiwan, Aug 18-26) last week, Jordan NT head coach Thomas Baldwin did'nt appear in trainings yet as he was supposed to be in Amman two days ago!! The technical manager Murad Barakat is taking over now.

Speculations are talking about a possible resiginition from Baldwin due to unknown reasons esspecially when you read on newspapers about hiring Sameer Morcos as an assistant coach and a possible comeback of Rasheim Wright (192-G-81, college: District of Col.) who refused by Baldwin to have his services recently.

So will we see Baldwin in Amman soon or???

NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE!
                                THE DREAM LIVES ON !!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information