Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does the Philippine team need to watch out for (vol III)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Alex07 View Post
    Li Gen is 6'5 or 6'6 (with shoes) might only be a bit taller than 6'4 (barefoot).I think he is a bit undersized for a small forward (in world competitions).In the Asian competitions he'll be just fine but with the emergence of other countries like Australia and New Zealand, we might soon see taller forwards and probably should look for tall forwards as well.
    PSY is a tall ryan buenafe.. he was an sg but bulked aot and play like an undersized pf for them..
    To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..
    1 Big 4 small > 5 out offense.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alex07 View Post
      Li Gen is 6'5 or 6'6 (with shoes) might only be a bit taller than 6'4 (barefoot).I think he is a bit undersized for a small forward (in world competitions).In the Asian competitions he'll be just fine but with the emergence of other countries like Australia and New Zealand, we might soon see taller forwards and probably should look for tall forwards as well.
      He will do fine. He's strong as a bull and is deceptively athletic for a pudgy looking guy. He pulled off a windmill with ease in one of the previous CBA allstar game.

Comment

• Originally posted by bballcrazy View Post
        He will do fine. He's strong as a bull and is deceptively athletic for a pudgy looking guy. He pulled off a windmill with ease in one of the previous CBA allstar game.
        Among their 3 shooters, Bad Ding Yangyuhang, Xiao and Li gen. Li Gen is I think the most consistent more Marcio like ika nga..as he can be a factor other than shooting the ball like this game the bruiser..
        To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..
        1 Big 4 small > 5 out offense.

Comment

• Originally posted by bballcrazy View Post
          Guo said his idol is Jordan. So i think he always aspired to be a guard. I can see him playing the 4 or 5 in phil hs and probably 3 to 4 in phil college. He should have all his skills but be forced to play post more often rather than a PG.

Not all 6'4 phil guys become center though.you have 6'4 kevin ferrer and ray parks whos more like a SF or SG correct? Think he would be smth like them but more talented. Even in sg, we have 6'6 player Hanbin but we play him as a SF not center..
          Ray Parks Jr. played high school ball in the US where was at the 1 or 2 spot. When he came back to the Philippines to play for National University, he shifted to 3.

Comment

• The Guo Ailun hypothetical scenario only accentuates the fact that one's position is significantly influenced by his contemporaries or simply put, the basketball environment he is in. Guo Ailun is "forced" to be a guard because in China's basketball landscape, he is a small guy. How could've he played the sf/pf spot when his peers are almost always taller than him?

So you see, this really is no different from what's happening in the Philippines, only on the CONTRARY.
            Never look too far ahead. You might stumble on a block right in front of you.

Comment

• Hmmm i remember before someone said here that guo and ravena height are the same or not much different when they are still in the youth team tumangkad lang si guo si kiefer di na masyado so guo is really a PG from the start.

Comment

• Originally posted by NOiNU View Post
                The Guo Ailun hypothetical scenario only accentuates the fact that one's position is significantly influenced by his contemporaries or simply put, the basketball environment he is in. Guo Ailun is "forced" to be a guard because in China's basketball landscape, he is a small guy. How could've he played the sf/pf spot when his peers are almost always taller than him?

So you see, this really is no different from what's happening in the Philippines, only on the CONTRARY.
                I understand. But why can't we emulate Angola where the centers may be just 6'7" but the PGs can be 6'2" to 6'3"? Because our basketball culture suppresses the talents of tall players with guard skills.

Comment

• ^
                  hmm i recently brough a NZ team to Vegas, (15 year olds), our PG's where 5 '10 but we had this one player 6 2" who had decent enough guard skills, we played him as 2, if you look at the heights of our players that 6'2 player should play PF for us, but no we played him as a 2, our centers were 6'4 - 6'5.

Just makes me think , if we were a Filipino team, i believe that 6' 2 player would be forced to play as a big ( PF)
                  NBTC- Team New Zealand - Camp David: vision "To provide a basketball Pathway for Filipino Kids in NZ while building men of character and leadership. I can do all things ...
                  https://www.facebook.com/teamNZBasketball/

Comment

• Originally posted by analyzed View Post
                    ^
                    hmm i recently brough a NZ team to Vegas, (15 year olds), our PG's where 5 '10 but we had this one player 6 2" who had decent enough guard skills, we played him as 2, if you look at the heights of our players that 6'2 player should play PF for us, but no we played him as a 2, our centers were 6'4 - 6'5.

Just makes me think , if we were a Filipino team, i believe that 6' 2 player would be forced to play as a big ( PF)
                    Yeah good for the 6'2 kid, but how about the 6'4-6'5 kids you played as centers? Couldn't they play as PF or SF instead?

I think at the end of it all, the position a player plays should really depend on the player's choice especially when they are still young and has a lot of time to develop their game.
                    You won't know, maybe those 6'4 kids that you play as center really want to play as SF and you just have to develop their perimeter games then in 5 to 8 years you have the next Dirk.

Comment

• Originally posted by analyzed View Post
                      ^

New Zealand is world class basketball. And Philippines is not.
                      Asia, too, is not.
                      They call me THE HERO.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ador Cruzado View Post
                        Asia, too, is not.
                        Im scared of mighty New Zealand. They are just so good and basketball is and must be played like how they play it. Players must be developed like how they develop players.
                        Analyzed is part of their coaching personnel and is a lot better than most pinoy and asian coaches because coaches there(I dont know if it includes him) in New Zealand basketball is so much better than all of Asia.
                        Idol na po kita sir analyze! pa kiss po please
                        They call me THE HERO.

Comment

Asia, too, is not.
                          Sir i think that's actually the point. As part of the basketball community in the country, our aim is to improve the level of play and this begins in player development.
                          If we develop player's with the mindset na we're not world class, then definitely it will follow.

Comment

• Originally posted by lurklurk View Post
                            Sir i think that's actually the point. As part of the basketball community in the country, our aim is to improve the level of play and this begins in player development.
                            If we develop player's with the mindset na we're not world class, then definitely it will follow.
                            yes I too get the point. But have you got the 'other' point? only a few seem to read between the lines
                            They call me THE HERO.

Comment

yes I too get the point. But have you got the 'other' point? only a few seem to read between the lines
                              Actually we're just choosing to ignore the sarcasm.

Comment

• Originally posted by k3ttch View Post
                                I understand. But why can't we emulate Angola where the centers may be just 6'7" but the PGs can be 6'2" to 6'3"? Because our basketball culture suppresses the talents of tall players with guard skills.
                                That's starting to change now. It is more common to see taller guards and wings nowadays as compared to before. That begs the question, how come? Simple, we seem to have a steady supply of big men these days, and in college level these African imports fill in the Center slot, creating a ripple effect of having taller guards. The logic is, simply because there are enough big men to occupy the frontline positions, these 6' 2"- 6' 3"ish guys are no longer forced to play big. Intal, Baracael, Borboran, Cervantes and their likes spent their college gigs at the pf/sf slots and they had to reinvent themselves if they were to last long in the PBA. Nowadays, we see JGDL, Sean Ildefonso, Jason Credo, Rhayyan Amsali amongst others playing the perimeter as guards and swingmen. That's a clear indication as to what the trajectory of Philippine basketball is.

Patience is a virtue. I think we are in unison of beefing up our ceilings in all fronts, but that must not come via sacrificing talent just for the heck of achieving it. As long as there are Castros and Romeos out there that make up for their lack of height by having innate talent and continue working their asses off, I think we should give them the nod. We are getting there (having decent sized backcourt and wings) but it would take more time relative to our American, European and African counterparts simply because genetics is not on our side.

Personally, I would groom Amer>Jalalon as the complementary guard to Romeo and Ravena (once Castro retires). Now, that's a small but significant step towards achieving this goal.
                                Never look too far ahead. You might stumble on a block right in front of you.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information