Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does the Philippine team need to watch out for (vol III)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am impressed by the action taken by the Philippines National Basket Ball Team in reviving their past glory as Asian kings of Basket Ball. To complement this story just check out this https://ckk.ai/8b5aGa5X

Comment

• Watching the Australian NBL Taipans team confused me cause they had 5 Black players on the court (3 imports only allowed), then discovered 6'9 Deng and Noi were Sudanese Australians, there are must be at least 25 Sudanese Australian 6 9 above

Here is an article on them
      NBTC- Team New Zealand - Camp David: vision "To provide a basketball Pathway for Filipino Kids in NZ while building men of character and leadership. I can do all things ...
      https://www.facebook.com/teamNZBasketball/

Comment

• Originally posted by Alex07 View Post
        6'9 and 6'7 power forwards.I don't know if Seydou can play small forward but with the other Bosnians gaining experience and confidence plus an American naturalized big, probably 6'11 or a bit taller, it's not going to be a push over Qatar team like what we encountered a year or two ago.Give them time to jell as a team and a good European coach, Qatar may become a dark horse of Asian basketball yet again.
        How about this one: https://basketball.eurobasket.com/pl...Al-Khor/381526
        Hadzibegovic played for Qatar in its U-18 3x3 team a few years ago. He is now playing in the Russian Super League-1 with impressive stats: https://basketball.eurobasket.com/te...t-Moscow/17859

And also this guy: https://basketball.asia-basket.com/p...an-Doha/381532
        Haracic averaged close to double figures in points last season in the Qatari premier league.

Both Haracic & Hadjibegovic have not yet played in the Qatari seniors National team because they have not yet 21 years old. I expect both players to bolster the Qatari senior National team this year.
        "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

• Originally posted by mangangalakal View Post
          Bosnia-Herzegovina is not even the only Muslim-majority country in Europe. Albania is 58% Muslim while Kosovo is 93 % Muslim. [both countries not known for basketball though] Bosnia-Herzegovina is only 50% Muslim. We're not even talking about countries like Turkey or Azerbaijan (both are more than 90% Muslim) which are considered part of Europe for sporting purposes
          For all muslim-majority countries in Europe, only Turkey and Azerbaijan are considered developed countries. So there are more opportunities for them back home. Basketball is big in Bosnia just like any other former Yugoslavian republic. But being one of of the poorest in Europe with low per capita income. Qatar was able to lure good young Muslim ballers with good and well-packaged opportunities for their families. Kosovan or Albanian would easily accept the offer if given an opportunity as well. But they're not that good at basketball.

Comment

• Originally posted by JAMSKIE View Post
            How about this one: https://basketball.eurobasket.com/pl...Al-Khor/381526
            Hadzibegovic played for Qatar in its U-18 3x3 team a few years ago. He is now playing in the Russian Super League-1 with impressive stats: https://basketball.eurobasket.com/te...t-Moscow/17859

And also this guy: https://basketball.asia-basket.com/p...an-Doha/381532
            Haracic averaged close to double figures in points last season in the Qatari premier league.

Both Haracic & Hadjibegovic have not yet played in the Qatari seniors National team because they have not yet 21 years old. I expect both players to bolster the Qatari senior National team this year.
            Plus they may naturalize 1 player who has not acquired a passport before 16.What if they naturalize an NBA D-League or even an NBA caliber forward (since money is no object for Qatar). Now they have a 6'9'' and a 7'1 Qatari-Bosnian prospects one is even playing in the Russian league.With experience playing against European teams, and a good European coach.These guys may become sleepers, maybe even capable of beating teams like South Korea,Lebanon, New Zealand or Iran,Who knows. Haracic and Hagdibegovic will be a good match up against Sotto and Edu.But we still have to worry about Magassa and the other Afri-Qataris.

Last edited by Alex07; 12-09-2019, 02:42 AM.
            "How small ball works: Tall Skilled beats small skilled every time,but small skilled beats tall stiff every time" - Kevin McHale

Comment

Plus they may naturalize 1 player who has not acquired a passport before 16.What if they naturalize an NBA D-League or even an NBA caliber forward (since money is no object for Qatar). Now they have a 6'9'' and a 7'1 Qatari-Bosnian prospects one is even playing in the Russian league.With experience playing against European teams, and a good European coach.These guys may become sleepers, maybe even capable of beating teams like South Korea,Lebanon, New Zealand or Iran,Who knows. Haracic and Hagdibegovic will be a good match up against Sotto and Edu.But we still have to worry about Magassa and the other Afri-Qataris.

Well it remains to be seen how Qatar will fare in Asia-Pacific basketball if all those Bosnian-Qataris (by the way, Alen Hadjibegovic is from Montenegro & not from Bosnia) will be inserted to the senior National team. Nothing is certain.

I just don't agree with some posters here who were harping like they doubt Qatar's ability/capability to develop young players into quality international players. As I've said, Qatar had already done that some 15 years ago with those players suspected to be of African descent (Remember Saad Abdulrahman Ali, Ali Turki Ali, Daoud Musa Daoud, Erfan Ali Saed, Mohamed Abdulghader, Khalid Abdi?), and they were successful (2005 FIBA Asia Championship bronze medalist & 2006 Asian games silver medalist). As I've said, basketball youth development isn't as complex as rocket science. Almost everyone knows how to develop quality international players. It boils down to having the right materials. And by the way, most of Qatar's teams in its premier pro league are handled by European coaches. Talking about transfer of basketball technology & knowhow.

Heck, we don't even have any European coach in the PBA, thanks to the Basketball Coaches Association of the Philippines.

The fact that these Bosnian-Qataris are now playing in the Qatar premier league which is quite a good level competition (I think its level of competition is higher than the ABL), then these Bosnian youth players are already exposed to high level competition which is essential to their development as potential FIBA competition players. Alen Hadjibegovic playing in a Russian pro league could suggest that the Qatari basketball officials wanted to utilize Hadjibegovic's development by letting him play in a higher level competition.

To suspect Qatar's capability to develop young talents is simply absurd.
              "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

• let's see if these Bosnian kids are good. their best team was still that all-Afro squad with Ali Turki, Musa Daoud, Saad, Ngombo and Erfan..
                “I never realised that to be a jockey you had to be a horse first.”
                -Arrigo Sacchi

Comment

let's see if these Bosnian kids are good. their best team was still that all-Afro squad with Ali Turki, Musa Daoud, Saad, Ngombo and Erfan..
                  If they will not turn-out as good as expected, then it has mainly to do with the Bosnian players themselves lack of or limited potential & has nothing to do with Qatar's ability to develop players.

Comment

• No matter what happens, Basketball can be played any where in the world what matters is interest in learning how to play the game. In other words, introducing a popular sports in developing countries can contribute to the socio economic development of a country. Sports can have a positive impact on the development of any nation. Checkout this https://ckk.ai/jAaGLH

Comment

Well it remains to be seen how Qatar will fare in Asia-Pacific basketball if all those Bosnian-Qataris (by the way, Alen Hadjibegovic is from Montenegro & not from Bosnia) will be inserted to the senior National team. Nothing is certain.

I just don't agree with some posters here who were harping like they doubt Qatar's ability/capability to develop young players into quality international players. As I've said, Qatar had already done that some 15 years ago with those players suspected to be of African descent (Remember Saad Abdulrahman Ali, Ali Turki Ali, Daoud Musa Daoud, Erfan Ali Saed, Mohamed Abdulghader, Khalid Abdi?), and they were successful (2005 FIBA Asia Championship bronze medalist & 2006 Asian games silver medalist). As I've said, basketball youth development isn't as complex as rocket science. Almost everyone knows how to develop quality international players. It boils down to having the right materials. And by the way, most of Qatar's teams in its premier pro league are handled by European coaches. Talking about transfer of basketball technology & knowhow.

Heck, we don't even have any European coach in the PBA, thanks to the Basketball Coaches Association of the Philippines.

The fact that these Bosnian-Qataris are now playing in the Qatar premier league which is quite a good level competition (I think its level of competition is higher than the ABL), then these Bosnian youth players are already exposed to high level competition which is essential to their development as potential FIBA competition players. Alen Hadjibegovic playing in a Russian pro league could suggest that the Qatari basketball officials wanted to utilize Hadjibegovic's development by letting him play in a higher level competition.

To suspect Qatar's capability to develop young talents is simply absurd.
                      They all look like Serbs to me, by the way that 7'1 Meho Haracic will be a problem if he becomes stronger and more efficient.He looks like a poor man's version of Pau Gasol shooting those perimeter shots.Mujcic might not be very impressive but the kid is 6'10 and just only 22 years old.So is the 6'7 Avdic and the 6'6 Muslic is just 21.Six foot Ten forward, Nasser Khalifa Al-Rayes is just 25 years old. They're not only tall, they are also young as compared to our Gilas vets who are now on their 30's.Let's look at the possible roster of Qatar: (Hagdibegovic and Magassa are the only player below 21 years old so we might see them in the future, nonetheless the team would still be relatively young)

Haracic 7'1 C (21 years old)
                      Mujcic 6'10 C (22 years old)
                      Hagdibegovic 6'10 F/C (19 years old)
                      Magassa 6'9 PF/C (20 years old[?]) < Erfan Ali Saeed's second coming.Taller and more athletic
                      Yehia 6'9 PF (23 years old)
                      N'Doye 6'8 F (21 years old)
                      Avdic 6'7 SF/PF (21 years old)
                      Muslic 6'6 SG/SF (21 years old)
                      Ngombo 6'5 G/F (30 years old[?])
                      Saad 6'3 G (23 years old)
                      Gueye 6'2 PG (22 years old)
                      El Hadary 5'9 PG (29 years old)

Give this team a few years to develop,we might see Qatar in the basketball world cup in the near future.

Last edited by Alex07; 12-10-2019, 07:06 AM.
                      "How small ball works: Tall Skilled beats small skilled every time,but small skilled beats tall stiff every time" - Kevin McHale

Comment

They all look like Serbs to me, by the way that 7'1 Meho Haracic will be a problem if he becomes stronger and more efficient.He looks like a poor man's version of Pau Gasol shooting those perimeter shots.Mujcic might not be very impressive but the kid is 6'10 and just only 22 years old.So is the 6'7 Avdic and the 6'6 Muslic is just 21.Six foot Ten forward, Nasser Khalifa Al-Rayes is just 25 years old. They're not only tall, they are also young as compared to our Gilas vets who are now on their 30's.Let's look at the possible roster of Qatar: (Hagdibegovic and Magassa are the only player below 21 years old so we might see them in the future, nonetheless the team would still be relatively young)

Haracic 7'1 C (21 years old)
                        Mujcic 6'10 C (22 years old)
                        Hagdibegovic 6'10 F/C (19 years old)
                        Magassa 6'9 PF/C (20 years old[?]) < Erfan Ali Saeed's second coming.Taller and more athletic
                        Yehia 6'9 PF (23 years old)
                        N'Doye 6'8 F (21 years old)
                        Avdic 6'7 SF/PF (21 years old)
                        Muslic 6'6 SG/SF (21 years old)
                        Ngombo 6'5 G/F (30 years old[?])
                        Saad 6'3 G (23 years old)
                        Gueye 6'2 PG (22 years old)
                        El Hadary 5'9 PG (29 years old)

Give this team a few years to develop,we might see Qatar in the basketball world cup in the near future.

How many of those have Qatari blood, probably on Saad... What a travesty on the fuvkin Hagop rule if that team plays in Fiba tourney...

Comment

• Originally posted by sajubeads View Post
                          How many of those have Qatari blood, probably on Saad... What a travesty on the fuvkin Hagop rule if that team plays in Fiba tourney...
                          Only a few, perhaps Yehia, El Hadari & Gueye, are legitimate Qataris by bloodline. The rest are of no Qatari descent. Saad, by the way, from what I heard is of Egyptian descent: https://basketball.asia-basket.com/p...fa-Doha/231603

What made them eligible to play as Qatari "locals"in FIBA tournaments? Its the FIBA rule that allow a player to play as a local for his adopted country if gets citizenship of his adopted country prior to his 16th birthday. Bloodline/descent is irrelevant under this rule.

Comment

Only a few, perhaps Yehia, El Hadari & Gueye, are legitimate Qataris by bloodline. The rest are of no Qatari descent. Saad, by the way, from what I heard is of Egyptian descent: https://basketball.asia-basket.com/p...fa-Doha/231603

What made them eligible to play as Qatari "locals"in FIBA tournaments? Its the FIBA rule that allow a player to play as a local for his adopted country if gets citizenship of his adopted country prior to his 16th birthday. Bloodline/descent is irrelevant under this rule.
                            that is exactly the point. Probably these guys are second-generation immigrants. Their parents migrated to Qatar and obtained citizenship as adults, so that citizenship was passed on to them as natural-born. Their ties to the country are not by blood but by residency since birth. Same thing with Mesut Ozil, Ilkay Gundogan, and all those Turkish German footballers. How can Hagop or anyone for that matter argue with that? You were born in that country, lived there all your life, and your parents are citizens of that country. no blood ties but residency and familial ties. This is what we want to achieve with letting FSAs play in the PBA as locals...
                            -Arrigo Sacchi

Comment

that is exactly the point. Probably these guys are second-generation immigrants. Their parents migrated to Qatar and obtained citizenship as adults, so that citizenship was passed on to them as natural-born. Their ties to the country are not by blood but by residency since birth. Same thing with Mesut Ozil, Ilkay Gundogan, and all those Turkish German footballers. How can Hagop or anyone for that matter argue with that? You were born in that country, lived there all your life, and your parents are citizens of that country. no blood ties but residency and familial ties. This is what we want to achieve with letting FSAs play in the PBA as locals...
                              you have to prove that first. Quinito on his article mentioned Qatar plucking players age 14-15 years old (what he calls player trafficking) to play for the national team. Considering his FIBA commentary job in the world cup, I think his commentary is credible. If you recruit athletes by the dozen, I don't think they are second generation immigrants.Qatar does not apply this exclusively in basketball but to other sports as well

sources: https://www.philstar.com/sports/2019...er-trafficking

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...d78_story.html

Comment

you have to prove that first. Quinito on his article mentioned Qatar plucking players age 14-15 years old (what he calls player trafficking) to play for the national team. Considering his FIBA commentary job in the world cup, I think his commentary is credible. If you recruit athletes by the dozen, I don't think they are second generation immigrants.Qatar does not apply this exclusively in basketball but to other sports as well

sources: https://www.philstar.com/sports/2019...er-trafficking

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...d78_story.html
                                alright, but the fact is all these Afro ballers are already Qataris, and if they continue to live in Qatar, marry, and settle there, their children will be the second generation Afro-Qataris. These kids will be natural-born Qataris and the Hagop rule won't apply to them.
                                -Arrigo Sacchi

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information