Page 276 of 278 FirstFirst ... 176226266274275276277278 LastLast
Results 5,501 to 5,520 of 5551

Thread: What does the Philippine team need to watch out for (vol III)

Quote Originally Posted by Dotch View Post
    So you're saying AUS and NZ joing FIBA ASIA a bad thing? Why? Do you think it's unfair? That the color of their skin is not Asian enough?

If I'm with FIBA executive committee, i will go the extra step and put them at the SEABA sub division, upping the level of competition in that sucky con-fed, where only PHL knows how to play good.
    No. I am in favor of that.

What my post meant is that the automatic slot for asian team in olympics due fiba world cup standings includes asian teams only.

There is one automatic slot for asian team(best record), and also one automatic slot for oceania(best record, usually aus). Oceania and Asia is sepera in term of that automatic rule.

Quote Originally Posted by judasmartel View Post
    I remember an international IBNer saying "If European basketball is the right way to play the game, then why it could not defeat Team USA? Are we going to say that American basketball is a wrong way to play the game?"

The American style of play works well with Team USA because of their athletic gifts. Those who don't have the same athletic gifts Africans and Americans have should play smarter and more disciplined to compensate for the lack of those gifts.
    Team USA's setup works because of their talent. Even their ill prepared team D is still better than probably 90% of the competition. The top 10 basketball players in the world are Americans except for Giannis. Their previous teams won gold despite doing everything half assed. Imagine if all their top players joined the team and have a good prep time. They'll probably route the other teams by 20 at least each game.

Our bayan ng superstars aren't that talented to follow the same setup.

Quote Originally Posted by thatweirdguy View Post
    Team USA's setup works because of their talent. Even their ill prepared team D is still better than probably 90% of the competition. The top 10 basketball players in the world are Americans except for Giannis. Their previous teams won gold despite doing everything half assed. Imagine if all their top players joined the team and have a good prep time. They'll probably route the other teams by 20 at least each game.

Our bayan ng superstars aren't that talented to follow the same setup.
    I agree w/ your assessment. If team USA always sent their A team, it would a be a slaughter for which ever unlucky team faces them.

The phrase " everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face" is the best way I can describe the style of team USA. Team USA's strength is their defense. The speed, pressure, and traps they use disrupts the others team offense.

The best counter to them is hoping they have an off night for shooting or a lack of chemistry like this years FIBA team or the Athens squads. That's when Euroball kicks in to capitalize on their mistakes, execute, and slow the pace of the game.

Gilas can imitate the aesthetic but not the actual impact as they dont have a good collection of wings. The NBA and the NT's major advantage of the rest of the basketball world has been their wing players. Bron, Melo, Kobe, KD,and George provide mismatches due to their size and versatility on both ends of the floor. Up until Giannis and Luka, there were not a lot of Euro wings were of that caliber. Spain who provided the most competition had to rely on Pau Gasol to score 30 plus in the post to try to fight small ball and they still ended up second due to a lack of a wing who could match up. They executed and still lost due to lack of talent.

They key for Gilas in the next 10 years is to develop a world class wing to be in tandem w/ Bigs like Kai and Edu.
    Last edited by anon9000; 02-27-2020 at 07:52 AM.

I remember an international IBNer saying "If European basketball is the right way to play the game, then why it could not defeat Team USA? Are we going to say that American basketball is a wrong way to play the game?"

The American style of play works well with Team USA because of their athletic gifts. Those who don't have the same athletic gifts Africans and Americans have should play smarter and more disciplined to compensate for the lack of those gifts.
    US is unbeatable only when they send their full-strength team. Otherwise, the top teams can easily beat them. Remember the 2002 WC? Just this year USAB sent the D-League champs to the FIBA Intercontinental Cup. They finished 4th out of 4 teams. drubbed by Spanish club team Iberostar Tenerife and beaten by Argentine champs San Lorenzo
    “I never realised that to be a jockey you had to be a horse first.”
    -Arrigo Sacchi

Quote Originally Posted by anon9000 View Post
    I agree w/ your assessment. If team USA always sent their A team, it would a be a slaughter for which ever unlucky team faces them.

The phrase " everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face" is the best way I can describe the style of team USA. Team USA's strength is their defense. The speed, pressure, and traps they use disrupts the others team offense.

The best counter to them is hoping they have an off night for shooting or a lack of chemistry like this years FIBA team or the Athens squads. That's when Euroball kicks in to capitalize on their mistakes, execute, and slow the pace of the game.

Gilas can imitate the aesthetic but not the actual impact as they dont have a good collection of wings. The NBA and the NT's major advantage of the rest of the basketball world has been their wing players. Bron, Melo, Kobe, KD,and George provide mismatches due to their size and versatility on both ends of the floor. Up until Giannis and Luka, there were not a lot of Euro wings were of that caliber. Spain who provided the most competition had to rely on Pau Gasol to score 30 plus in the post to try to fight small ball and they still ended up second due to a lack of a wing who could match up. They executed and still lost due to lack of talent.

They key for Gilas in the next 10 years is to develop a world class wing to be in tandem w/ Bigs like Kai and Edu.
    Actually, if yugoslavia is not seperated, they will give team usa a tough competition. Though, I still think Usa will still beat then by 20 points.

The only hope we have is dave, Abando, Paras, and Edu brothers in terms of our future wings.

Pba wings like pogiy is trash in fiba competitions

Quote Originally Posted by mathematicianrcg View Post
    Actually, if yugoslavia is not seperated, they will give team usa a tough competition. Though, I still think Usa will still beat then by 20 points.

The only hope we have is dave, Abando, Paras, and Edu brothers in terms of our future wings.

Pba wings like pogiy is trash in fiba competitions
    wow 1000+ posts in 2 months. Gotta be a record or somethin.
    DO or DO NOT there is no TRY... yoda

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...fiba-world-cup

Filipinos players and coaches need to listen to Tab Baldwin. He's critical of the Filipino style of basketball (gearing towards individual play), but he believes in the Filipino talent (despite the nation's average height for men which is 5'5). He said that we deserve to be in the top 15 of FIBA standings, not just top 40.

We're a short nation. It's more beneficial for the Philippines to play Euro-style.

Quote Originally Posted by anon9000 View Post

It's a good thing though that they don't have a very organized program like us. Makes them beatable.

On the other hand teams like China naman had tons of prep time pero nganga pa din.

Agree these kids are the keys. Our current crop of players won't cut it.

It's a good thing though that they don't have a very organized program like us. Makes them beatable.

On the other hand teams like China naman had tons of prep time pero nganga pa din.

Agree these kids are the keys. Our current crop of players won't cut it.

Listen to Tab Baldwin in Erik Menk's podcast. Sinabi niya lang na usually sa homecourt lang sila "magaling" . Tanggalin mo ang "home court advantage" petiks sila. He didn't say it outright but he pretty implied that China likes to cook in the kitchen.

It was a very good interview. He was also critical of FIBA there, not only regarding the Chinese cooking in 2015, but also the officiating in the brawl with Australia.

The punishment in the brawl against Australia was one-sided. Australia has the reputation of brawls. FIBA should've considered that Boomers has this rep. Just search what happened in 2011 against NZ. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by allmight View Post
    The punishment in the brawl against Australia was one-sided. Australia has the reputation of brawls. FIBA should've considered that Boomers has this rep. Just search what happened in 2011 against NZ. Lol.
    Hindi eh kinampihan pa nag pa all know na pinoys yun asutralia eh.. na tayo daw eh sanggano hahaha
    To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..

Quote Originally Posted by Artek View Post
    Listen to Tab Baldwin in Erik Menk's podcast. Sinabi niya lang na usually sa homecourt lang sila "magaling" . Tanggalin mo ang "home court advantage" petiks sila. He didn't say it outright but he pretty implied that China likes to cook in the kitchen.

It was a very good interview. He was also critical of FIBA there, not only regarding the Chinese cooking in 2015, but also the officiating in the brawl with Australia.
    They don't want to lose in their home court. Even in exhibition games. They're very beatable outside China.

Agree. Even China had bigger brawls in the past. Those suspensions hurt us and changed a lot for GILAS and gave us Kalbo. I'm not really happy with the outcome. I guess the silver lining is that we didn't get a tougher punishment.

They don't want to lose in their home court. Even in exhibition games. They're very beatable outside China.

Agree. Even China had bigger brawls in the past. Those suspensions hurt us and changed a lot for GILAS and gave us Kalbo. I'm not really happy with the outcome. I guess the silver lining is that we didn't get a tougher punishment.
    Tab's comments, from what I can surmise in the podcast, was that FIBA failed to address the issue before it went downhill. Napagbalingan ng Aussie ang mga Pilipino sa frustration sa talo nila previously.

Tab said, the fault of the Philippines was its failure to control our bench.

Ang nakakatawa though, sa Chinese crowd, they think that they can taunt Gilas by "boos" (they even booed us on the game vs Lebanon in 2015).

Petiks yan kumpara sa 20,000-50,000 Ginebra fans na nagbooboo kapag nakatapak sa finals ang Ginebra.

In a way, blessing ang Ginebra fans. Sinasanay ng Pinoy players sa mga ganyan. Hahaha

Tab really implied na yung Aussie yung nagpasimuno, and FIBA's failure to address it before it went downhill. I agree, one-sided yung punishment. Hindi nila kinonsider yung instigation ng Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by hoopaddict View Post
    wow 1000+ posts in 2 months. Gotta be a record or somethin.
    Yeah. Posting and reading in ibn became one of my daily routine. Hehe.

I didnt noticed I already achieve the 1000 post mark.

Quote Originally Posted by reamily View Post
    Hindi eh kinampihan pa nag pa all know na pinoys yun asutralia eh.. na tayo daw eh sanggano hahaha
    And sir, Luc Longley's interview he said that Chot weaponized the sticker incident. What a bunch of bullcrap. Kayo na bastos , kayo na nagsimula ng trashtalk, tapos pag nasapak kayo kayo iktima. Haha.

And add to the fact that this incident kinda messed up Gilas' momentum. But anyway, the new direction is promising naman.

And sir, Luc Longley's interview he said that Chot weaponized the sticker incident. What a bunch of bullcrap. Kayo na bastos , kayo na nagsimula ng trashtalk, tapos pag nasapak kayo kayo iktima. Haha.

And add to the fact that this incident kinda messed up Gilas' momentum. But anyway, the new direction is promising naman.
    Ambait ni Chris Goulding LOL

tbf our bench went wild im pretty sure getting hit by a chair and getting beaten up wasn’t a good response to their trash talk

Page 276 of 278 FirstFirst ... 176226266274275276277278 LastLast