Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does the Philippine team need to watch out for (vol III)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Alex07 View Post
    that's why we need to naturalize Kuoame quick and we should have at least two naturalized prospects that we could choose from (depending on the choice of the coach,availability and injury). Not unless Ange will be treated by FIBA as a local (don't know how).
    Can we naturalize Kouame in time for 2023? As far as I can tell, Brownlee has yet to be naturalized despite his bill already filed in congress.
    GILAS WISHLIST:
    6'8 Pingris

Comment

• Originally posted by JAMSKIE View Post
      Well, both Erram & Almazan aren't that young anymore so their days with the National team are already numbered.
      wag naman, we are running out of choices I don't think Justin Chua,Abu Tratter and Isaac Go can do a better job at this stage.Erram and Almazan this year is still highly servicable and I dont think Aguilar and Fajardo will be released to the national team again.Erram,Almazan and Standhardinger was good enough to beat a team like Kazakhstan in the Asian games.Maybe we could use them against lower tier teams like Kazakhstan,Qatar,Iraq,Syria, Southeast Asian teams etc. Almazan and Erram can still be good shot blockers and rebounders.
      "How small ball works: Tall Skilled beats small skilled every time,but small skilled beats tall stiff every time" - Kevin McHale

Comment

wag naman, we are running out of choices I don't think Justin Chua,Abu Tratter and Isaac Go can do a better job at this stage.Erram and Almazan this year is still highly servicable and I dont think Aguilar and Fajardo will be released to the national team again.Erram,Almazan and Standhardinger was good enough to beat a team like Kazakhstan in the Asian games.Maybe we could use them against lower tier teams like Kazakhstan,Qatar,Iraq,Syria, Southeast Asian teams etc. Almazan and Erram can still be good shot blockers and rebounders.
        I’d still like to see a full amateur team vs low tier teams like SEA, Iraq, Mongolia etc. I wouldn’t mind a PBA reinforced team but Amateurs should get most of the playing time. We’re actually going backwards with our amateur pool. During games vs SEA teams we would usually send U18 or collegiate players. Then we sent players applying for the PBA (technically rookies). Then we sent PBA rookies, Overseas players. Now we’re back to sending full on PBA teams since 2017. When Tab started the first thing he did was put HS players in SEA tournaments. Prince Rivero, Jonas Tibayan.

Comment

Kaya nga I said, "their days with the National team are already numbered". I didn't say they have to be retired from the National team now. Erram will turn 31 years old in a few days. I think Almazan will also turn 31 within this year. Lets just say both of them has only around 2 or 3 more good years of being serviceable with the National team.

That's why we need to fast track the development of younger "fours" like AJ Edu, Justin Baltazar, Carl Tamayo, Raven Cortez. The only way to do that is to expose them to international tournaments as often as possible & we have to do it ASAP. Hindi next year or sa 2022 pa.
          "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

• Originally posted by qwertyz View Post
            I’d still like to see a full amateur team vs low tier teams like SEA, Iraq, Mongolia etc. I wouldn’t mind a PBA reinforced team but Amateurs should get most of the playing time. We’re actually going backwards with our amateur pool. During games vs SEA teams we would usually send U18 or collegiate players. Then we sent players applying for the PBA (technically rookies). Then we sent PBA rookies, Overseas players. Now we’re back to sending full on PBA teams since 2017. When Tab started the first thing he did was put HS players in SEA tournaments. Prince Rivero, Jonas Tibayan.
            I couldn't agree with you more. We sent a PBA-select National team in last year's SEA Games para lang masiguro that we'll win the SEA Games basketball gold medal - something which doesn't make any sense as far as basketball greatness is concerned. Who cares about winning the gold over patsy opponents?
            "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

Kaya nga I said, "their days with the National team are already numbered". I didn't say they have to be retired from the National team now. Erram will turn 31 years old in a few days. I think Almazan will also turn 31 within this year. Lets just say both of them has only around 2 or 3 more good years of being serviceable with the National team.

That's why we need to fast track the development of younger "fours" like AJ Edu, Justin Baltazar, Carl Tamayo, Raven Cortez. The only way to do that is to expose them to international tournaments as often as possible & we have to do it ASAP. Hindi next year or sa 2022 pa.
              Edu,Baltazar and Tamayo may be good enough, they could have been exposed pa sana with the SEA games that tournament could have given them more confidence. The ironic thing is,Baltazar does not have much international exposure as Edu and Tamayo who have played against taller opponents Although Baltazar is more matured physically. I will still rate Almazan and Erram more at this stage just because they have more matured bodies and presumably more stronger than the young guys (not to mention the "gulang" in basketball).Cortez has yet to prove himself and he is just recovering from an injury, so let's give him a break so is AJ Edu.Another question for Balti and Tamayo is their availability.A hybrid team is the way to go specially against teams like Korea,but maybe it will work out against a teams like Indonesia and Thailand.

MVP may lend some of its players:

TNT
              Erram
              Rosario
              Parks
              Pogoy
              Castro

Meralco
              Almazan
              Amer
              Newsome (should be considered FIBA eligible first)

NLEX
              K.Ravena

PBA Non SMC teams (depending on the PBA and it's mother teams and the players)
              Bolick
              Perez
              Go (reserved for Gilas)
              Bullanadi (reserved for Gilas)
              Nieto (reserved for Gilas)
              Tratter
              Mocon
              Standhardinger (naturalized spot)

Pros Playing Overseas
              T.Ravena*
              Sotto*

Amateurs:
              Ildefonso
              De Liaño
              Edu*
              Tamayo
              Baltazar
              Paras
              Oftana

Other naturalized Prospects
              Kuoame
              McCullough
              Brownlee

*Depending on their availability
              Last edited by Alex07; 07-03-2020, 03:33 AM.
              "How small ball works: Tall Skilled beats small skilled every time,but small skilled beats tall stiff every time" - Kevin McHale

Comment

I couldn't agree with you more. We sent a PBA-select National team in last year's SEA Games para lang masiguro that we'll win the SEA Games basketball gold medal - something which doesn't make any sense as far as basketball greatness is concerned. Who cares about winning the gold over patsy opponents?
                We sent a better lineup than the one we sent in the WC and arguably a better coach in TC.. then you hear a bunch of BS and posturing from local personalities about para sa bayan, the Philippines being a basketball nation , having the best fans etc. While everyone forgot how badly we got embarrassed a few months ago and how the same personalities sabotaged GILAS..

Comment

• Originally posted by ja.he View Post
                  You guys are discounting Taiwan. This team has actual capable players from 1 to 3 positions. What they are lacking are good 4 and 5. Wu tai-hao, Tien lei and Tseng wen-ting's departure really hurt taiwan in the process. Not to mention, quincy davis is already aging.
                  Such opinions weren't meant to disrespect Taiwan, its just that Taiwan, since the retirement of big men Wu Tai-Hao, Tien Lei and Tseng Wen-Ting, hasn't been the same team that it was 7 years ago. I think after placing a strong 4th place in the 2013 FIBA Asia Championship, Taiwan has been on a downhill since then. And it could be blamed mainly for Taiwan's failure to find able successors to big men Wu Tai-Hao, Tien Lei and Tseng Wen-Ting. You're correct, Taiwan always had dependable guards & swingmen, but its the big men position where it is inferior in the last few years.

I saw a video of an invitational tournament in Taiwan featuring SBL teams like Bank of Taiwan, Pauian and UAAP team FEU. FEU emerged as champion in that tournament. Meaning it has beaten those Taiwanese professional teams. I think it doesn't speak well of the level of competition in Taiwan's premier pro league - the SBL.

I mean, I don't think any UAAP team, with the exception of Ateneo (well lets face it Ateneo is on a different class), is capable of beating any PBA team in an actual game.

Comment

Such opinions weren't meant to disrespect Taiwan, its just that Taiwan, since the retirement of big men Wu Tai-Hao, Tien Lei and Tseng Wen-Ting, hasn't been the same team that it was 7 years ago. I think after placing a strong 4th place in the 2013 FIBA Asia Championship, Taiwan has been on a downhill since then. And it could be blamed mainly for Taiwan's failure to find able successors to big men Wu Tai-Hao, Tien Lei and Tseng Wen-Ting. You're correct, Taiwan always had dependable guards & swingmen, but its the big men position where it is inferior in the last few years.

I saw a video of an invitational tournament in Taiwan featuring SBL teams like Bank of Taiwan, Pauian and UAAP team FEU. FEU emerged as champion in that tournament. Meaning it has beaten those Taiwanese professional teams. I think it doesn't speak well of the level of competition in Taiwan's premier pro league - the SBL.

I mean, I don't think any UAAP team, with the exception of Ateneo (well lets face it Ateneo is on a different class), is capable of beating any PBA team in an actual game.
                    With young prospects Jonah Morrison, Riven Ma plus a naturalized player, it will give Taiwan back the prominence it had circa 2005-2013.

Also, i feel that CTBA should be eagerly scouting taiwanese-foreigner talents overseas.

This team is the perfect team for Tab if SBP leadership is st*pid enough to fire him.
                    Attack
                    defend
                    Unite

Comment

• Originally posted by thatweirdguy View Post
                      Erram and Almazan should never be considered for GILAS again.. or Belga for that matter. Unless it's the SEAG. They might be willing but they're not good enough and we need to invest on our young bigs now.
                      Belga I agree due to age. Let's not forget both Erram and Almazan did well in Asian games 2018 and Asia Cup 2017 for Almazan. Hold their own against Asian bigs despite lack of preparation. Shooting from the outside was ok.

Comment

• Originally posted by robert0326
                        Count now Greg Slaughter.. we need him indefinitely.. he is free now and getting condition in states.. he is better pick than tratter, Chua, Belga..
                        Yes, i heard he wants to play for the NT. That's a very good idea. I hope he improves a lot. The guy may have been a bit soft but he's continuing to work out and probably improving his weaknesses. Like what I've said,if he improves his strength,mobility and gain a bit of more hops, his motor (cardio and energy) ,the dexterity to shoot in both hands and increase his range. He is going to be a lot scary. Him and Poy at the low block would be a very good tandem.

Last edited by Alex07; 07-04-2020, 02:47 AM.

Comment

• Greg is 32 now, I think he'll still be competitive enough for 2-3 years.Next year might be the best time for him and if Brownlee's naturalization pushes through, that would be crazy. I'm not sure about the availability of Kai and A.J next year but Greg will be a good option.I really think he needs to improve on his hops, his strength,energy on the court and mobility.That's really his main issue.

Comment

Greg is 32 now, I think he'll still be competitive enough for 2-3 years.Next year might be the best time for him and if Brownlee's naturalization pushes through, that would be crazy. I'm not sure about the availability of Kai and A.J next year but Greg will be a good option.I really think he needs to improve on his hops, his strength,energy on the court and mobility.That's really his main issue.
                            good luck to greg, hope he can develop these areas. if i will prioritise, i'd put mobility at #1 as it affects his perimeter defense and getting to spots on offense.

Comment

• Originally posted by robert0326
                              Maybe you will do this very soon... our ASEAN bro Indonesia is very serious to become competitive in Asia.. they are now start their training and preperations this month..

Pemusatan latihan nasional timnas basket dijadwalkan bergulir awal Juli. Persiapan untuk mengejar Kualifikasi FIBA Asia Cup 2021 windows dua.

And latest on Derrick Michael, He has now offers to play overseas.. even thinking to play US NCAA... he has higher goals.. good luck to him.. I hope he can make it also in the NBA, so that the competition in the SEABA will be tougher...

https://www.indosport.com/basket/202...-yang-diterima
                              So jawato is also considered naturalized. I wonder if this is accurate and why not just use Prospersince they cant use both?

Comment

• Chot bares why No. 4 Argentina wanted to hear coach from No. 31 PH speak in webinar

AROUND this same time last month and unknown to many people, former Gilas Pilipinas and eight-time champion PBA head coach Chot Reyes was making the country proud -- probably becoming the first Filipino coach, if not the very first, to speak in front of fellow coaches from a top basketball superpower in the world.

Reyes, who steered Gilas Pilipinas to a runner-up finish behind Iran in the 2013 FIBA Asia Championships and a return stint to the FIBA World Cup in 2014 after an absence of nearly four decades, was invited by Daniel Maffei, an Argentinian coach and former Saudi Arabia national team coach, to speak online in a series of coaching webinars for his countrymen.

Yes, a basketball coach from a country ranked No. 31 in the world just spoke in front of coaches from Argentina, currently ranked No. 4 in the world by FIBA.

Around a hundred coaches from Argentina attended Reyes’ Zoom talk while another close to 400 were present on Facebook Live.

“When I asked why coaches from the No. 4-ranked country in the world would want to hear from a coach from a country ranked No. 31 in the world, the host (Maffei) said they just want to learn more about the country where basketball is the No. 1 sport, not football (like Argentina),” said Reyes, record five-time Coach of the Year winner in the PBA with Purefoods, Coca-Cola (twice) and Talk ‘N Text (twice).

“They also remember how well we played in the 2014 FIBA World Cup and how well we played as a team,” added Reyes, referring to Gilas Pilipinas’ close-shave 85-81 loss to the Argentines in that world stage in a game which the Filipinos led 12-2 in the opening four minutes of the game and trailed by just 81-82 with 2:03 remaining.

Aside from Argentina, the Philippines, led by Andray Blatche, Jimmy Alapag, Ranidel de Ocampo and Gabe Norwood, actually also lost by only 77-73 to Puerto Rico, 81-78 in overtime to Croatia and 82-70 to Greece, all basketball superpowers in the world.

Reyes’ team then closed out the tourney with an 81-79 overtime victory over Senegal in the classification round, the Philippines’ first win in more than 40 years in the world basketball championships.

Reyes was impressed with the Argentine coaches’ desire to continue learning and improve their craft.

“Now we know why Argentina is No. 4 in the world in a sport that is not even their national pastime, and despite not having the tallest nor most talented players -- their coaches are constantly looking to learn. Talk about a #growthmindset,” Reyes explained. “They’re looking for ways to compensate for their lack of height or talent, ways to be a better team.

“Yes, in sports, as in corporate life or business, companies can overcome lack of size or resources or talent by having better teamwork, such that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. This is what a #teamcoach does. He or she coaches the connections so the team can perform at its peak,” added Reyes, who is also currently a much sought-after team-building and life speaker by many business companies, both big and small.

Prior to Reyes, the said Argentine coaches also had Los Angeles Lakers assistant coach Phil Handy and Svetislav Pesic, former Yugoslavian and FC Barcelona head coach as online speakers in early June while NCAA champion coach and Hall of Famer John Calipari followed Reyes as online speaker the week after.
                                Funny how Argentina, a rank 4 country, is willing to listen to Chot, a coach from rank 31 Philippines WHILE Philippines, a rank 31 country, turns a deaf ear to Tab, a coach with a top-4 finish in FIBA world cup.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information