Olympic Qualifying Tournament going forward

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Olympic Qualifying Tournament going forward

In my mind today's action pretty much nailed why I love this tournament, now there's a lot of talk of changing the olympics to an U23 tournament, but for the moment presuming it doesn't change how would you like this tournament to look in the future?

While I like the way it is done, there's been a lot of talk in other threads about how they would like it to change, or go away all together. So how do you feel about the qualifying tournament? What would you change or what you have in its place?
    Keep it as is: It works, it's fun, it's dramatic. What more do you want?
    0%
    Expand it! Give more small nations a chance to compete in a global tournament.
    0%
    Get rid of it! Award spots based off of performance at the World Cup or some other method.
    0%
    Other
    0%
    Pistons: 2021-22 Let the Motorcade begin!!

Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

I think it's great the way it is:

1. Better to decide the final spots on the court instead of having some FIBA politicians dividing up all the spots among the zones.

2. Gives more teams the chance to play some high-level games in an Olympic summer.

3. Because of the proximity of the tournament to the Olympics, the roster that qualifies will be pretty much the same roster that plays in the Olympics.

4. Exciting games!
    Originally posted by Fedfan
    Most ppl get childish when they lose.
    Originally posted by GuTO
    refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

Comment

The problem is - there's too little time between the end of the clubs seasons and this tournament. Players doesn't have enough time to rest, teams to prepare. Sure, it's kinda fair and exciting way to decide last spots in Olympics, but timing somehow is not right, schedule is too heavy, especially if you qualify to Olympics. But I see no place where else to put it

Comment

At the end of the day I think the whole qualification to Olympics is fucked up. To start with the FIBA zones are not even.. Look at Australia for example..they just play New Zealand in a best of 3 to decide who goes. and guess what ?! the loser gets to go to the Olympic qualifying tournament?!

Lithuania as an example (as thats where I live) has to go through a massive eurobasket championship whicjh is of the highest level and then if they dont make top 2 of 24 teams then they have to try this OQT..WTF Get the system right and not have favourites out there and make it that the top 24 teams as according to FIBA rankings GO!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lietuvis View Post

Lithuania as an example (as thats where I live) has to go through a massive eurobasket championship whicjh is of the highest level and then if they dont make top 2 of 24 teams then they have to try this OQT..WTF Get the system right and not have favourites out there and make it that the top 24 teams as according to FIBA rankings GO!!
          They'd actually have to fix the rankings before they could get away with that. Unless you think Italy's worthy of a spot?

Comment

Originally posted by Dtown View Post
            They'd actually have to fix the rankings before they could get away with that. Unless you think Italy's worthy of a spot?
            No, what he means is from EuroBasket 2011, there should be more spots for FIBA Europe to qualify for the Olympics. The current situation is:

1. Spain
            2. France
            3. Russia
            4. Macedonia
            5. Lithuania
            6. Greece

7. Slovenia
            8. Serbia

Top two qualified directly to the Olympics, the next four have to compete in the Qualification Tournament.

It would be better if something like this happened:
            1. Spain
            2. France
            3. Russia
            4. Macedonia
            5. Lithuania
            6. Greece
            7. Slovenia

8. Serbia

Top five make it directly to the Olympics and the next two have to compete in the Qualification Tournament.

Comment

The only change I'd suggest is starting this tournament with four groups of four. That way teams would play three games rather than just two before quarterfinal pairings would be established. That way teams would more seldomnly be eliminated on the basis of "cheap" tiebreakers e.g. Venezuela, New Zealand.

I'd also like to see the Olympics comprised of two groups of seven teams. I think they can squeeze in the extra game. That way five of the sixteen teams in the qualifying tournament would advance to the Olympics.

Comment

Originally posted by macleopard13 View Post
                No, what he means is from EuroBasket 2011, there should be more spots for FIBA Europe to qualify for the Olympics. The current situation is:

1. Spain
                2. France
                3. Russia
                4. Macedonia
                5. Lithuania
                6. Greece

7. Slovenia
                8. Serbia

Top two qualified directly to the Olympics, the next four have to compete in the Qualification Tournament.

It would be better if something like this happened:
                1. Spain
                2. France
                3. Russia
                4. Macedonia
                5. Lithuania
                6. Greece
                7. Slovenia

8. Serbia

Top five make it directly to the Olympics and the next two have to compete in the Qualification Tournament.
                I would go even further than that. Give direct spots to everyone and let that be the end of it.

I suggest 6 to Europe, 3 to the Americas, 2 Asia & Oceania and 1 to Africa.
                Australia & New Zealand should play in confederation FIBA Asia. Just like in football.

I should note that there are always at least 6 teams from Europe in the Olympics anyway. The WC results should give FIBA a clearer image whether the distribution of teams in the Olympics should change.
                PAO EUROPEAN CHAMPION 1996 - 2000 - 2002 - 2007 - 2009 - 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Victorious View Post

I should note that there are always at least 6 teams from Europe in the Olympics anyway. The WC results should give FIBA a clearer image whether the distribution of teams in the Olympics should change.
                  This year is only 5 max and that's with Great Britain as the Host.

there were only 5 in 2004 and that's with Greece as the host.

there were 4 at 1996

and there were 5 in 1992 and that's with Spain as hosts

So in the professional era there have been 6 teams from Europe all of twice, both times the world champion was from Europe so it's nothing you can guarantee, especially in a system that doesn't give the world cup champs an automatic spot. Most of the time Europe has had four unless it is also the hosts. In 2016 it is not the host, Brazil is, so this argument is non factual.
                  Last edited by Dtown; 07-07-2012, 04:34 AM.

Comment

Keep it as it is.

As it looks, al continents except maybe Asia are rising.
                    Originally posted by J-Mart
                    the land of the free and the home of the brave is the greatest joke I've ever heard. There is no such thing as liberty and the american dream is more overrated than Japeth Aguilar was when u guys found he was a pinoy
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dtown View Post
                      This year is only 5 max and that's with Great Britain as the Host.

there were only 5 in 2004 and that's with Greece as the host.

there were 4 at 1996

and there were 5 in 1992 and that's with Spain as hosts

So in the professional era there have been 6 teams from Europe all of twice, both times the world champion was from Europe so it's nothing you can guarantee, especially in a system that doesn't give the world cup champs an automatic spot. Most of the time Europe has had four unless it is also the hosts. In 2016 it is not the host, Brazil is, so this argument is non factual.
                      In that case, I suggest to make it: Europe 5, Americas 3, Asia & Oceania 2, Africa 2. The host continent looses one place unless it is Europe. Because I think that there are to many high level teams from Europe compared to the rest of the world.

And there were only 4 or 5 teams from Europe because that was the maximum amount of teams that could qualify based on the rules.
                      PAO EUROPEAN CHAMPION 1996 - 2000 - 2002 - 2007 - 2009 - 2011

Comment

Surprisingly FIBA is actually doing something to change the current situation link

Mainini: This new system of competition consists of a four-year period in which there will be a FIBA Basketball World Cup, the Olympic Games, one continental championship per FIBA Zone and one separate summer dedicated exclusively to Women’s Basketball.

The second important change as part of this new competition system is that the FIBA Basketball World Cup will consist of 32 teams, thereby allowing for good representation for every continent. For example, you could have 12-14 European teams that qualify for FIBA’s flagship event.

They're about a decade* late to my view , but better late then never.

*) post Cold War changes in Europe produced a lot of new of basketball powerhouses, e.g. Serbia, Croatia,Slovenia Montenegro, FYROM out of Yugoslavia

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Bounce View Post
                          Surprisingly FIBA is actually doing something to change the current situation link

Mainini: This new system of competition consists of a four-year period in which there will be a FIBA Basketball World Cup, the Olympic Games, one continental championship per FIBA Zone and one separate summer dedicated exclusively to Women’s Basketball.

The second important change as part of this new competition system is that the FIBA Basketball World Cup will consist of 32 teams, thereby allowing for good representation for every continent. For example, you could have 12-14 European teams that qualify for FIBA’s flagship event.
                          But it's about World Cup, not Olympics There such problem doesn't exist even now, cause with 24 teams it's much easier to divide the places, but when you have 12 - the problem occurs

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Bounce View Post

[I]Mainini: This new system of competition consists of a four-year period in which there will be a FIBA Basketball World Cup, the Olympic Games, one continental championship per FIBA Zone and one separate summer dedicated exclusively to Women’s Basketball.
                            Oh, that FIBA morons. The best national teams tournament in the world is by far EuroBasket. It's the most interesting, tense, even and unpredictable. And these bastards want to have it only once in every 4 years. Burn in hell, greedy FIBA bureaucrats.

About OQT the only serious minus is that it's too early. Here in Russia we castrated our play-offs to make our NT having some time for preparation. We played play-offs with 4 top teams (among them there were no UNICS and Spartak SPb) which was really detestable. In Italy whose teams didn't make it to EuroBasket play-offs the league was finished in the mid-June, so guys playing there like Bo, Kaukenas, Maciulis, Bourousis, Fotsis and Zisis were especially exposed to the fatigue. Overall as a result the teams not only don't have enough time to make good preparations and training camps but also have their top players very tired and exhausted (and it's not only the case with European teams 'cause many African and Latin American teams have many guys playing in Europe with exactly the same problems).
                            Other than that problem I liked it very much. Many close games, tough competition, enough of unpredictable results and the chance to see some teams of which you has only marginal knowledge. It's fun to watch and we have it as a very tasty 'starters' for the main Olympic 'food'.
                            2013/2014 IBN Euroleague Prediction Game Winner

Thrash 'till Death!

Comment

But it's about World Cup, not Olympics There such problem doesn't exist even now, cause with 24 teams it's much easier to divide the places, but when you have 12 - the problem occurs
                              My point is that FIBA is aware of the problem with Euro NTs and is doing something to solve it:

1) Eurobasket from 16 to 24 - done
                              2) World Cup from 24 to 32 - planned

Olympics could be the next in a row.

Oh, that FIBA morons. The best national teams tournament in the world is by far EuroBasket. It's the most interesting, tense, even and unpredictable. And these bastards want to have it only once in every 4 years. Burn in hell, greedy FIBA bureaucrats.
                              "These bastards" tried to reduce what you address in your second part of the post: the load on players.
                              I'd like to have Eurobasket every year, but the players need to rest too.

Do you remember how much time Fridzon & Monya had to rest between Eurobasket and Khimki's EL qualification ? I think less then a couple of weeks.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information