Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FIBA Europe Being "Punished" By FIBA In This Tournament?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FIBA Europe Being "Punished" By FIBA In This Tournament?

First, let me ask very kindly that the mods let this thread to not be closed or deleted. Second, that we keep it open for everyone to discuss, but that the obviously out of line comments be controlled.

This is a serious issue.

FIBA Europe said that they were being punished by FIBA when this tournament was moved from Lithuania to Venezuela. This they said was because that they don't want to agree to FIBA's new ruling that EuroBasket will only happen once every 4 years. So they said that FIBA did this as a retaliation against them.

The Lithuanian basketball federation also basically backed this up, as they believed the tournament was taken from them on purpose by FIBA, solely in retaliation and to send a message to FIBA Europe.

Now, I have to say this. At this point, the real question comes up now. The refs clearly made decisions to help Nigeria "beat" Greece and to help Dominican Republic "beat" FYROM.

Why would the refs, especially the Americas refs (hello Canada) be so going out of their way to help eliminate the European teams?

It is just because the Latin American teams are playing in Latin America? Is it just because FIBA as usual wants to give Team USA the easiest possible path to victory (as they always try to do).....

or is it what it really appears to be - that FIBA is trying to send out the European teams to punish FIBA Europe for not wanting to accept their new FIBA world rules, which are coming from the minds of guys like David Stern and Mark Cuban......

I will tell everyone my opinion after what I saw in Greece - Nigeria and FYROM - DR matches. I say to Mark Cuban go ahead and make your "NBA World Championship"........

All of the European teams can break away from FIBA and make their own tournament and their own rules. Just like UEFA, except just totally ignore FIBA altogether.

Between this and the crazy absurd 2010 FIBA World Championship, that's how it should be. It's indeed time that FIBA Europe forms its own organization and tells FIBA to go to hell.

Just my own personal opinion.

Discuss please in a civil manner.

stop it already. you lost to nigeria. nigeria for god's sake.
    Silver medal 2012 Olympics prediction game.

Comment

Greece should have just played their game and won by 20 points like some people said earlier, when you leave things too late and the game becomes tight, you make it very hard for the refs.
      Visit http://teamnigeriabasketball.com/ for Nigerian Basketball

Comment

Well it wouldn't be a proper tournament without a conspiracy thread from vs666/FIBA Europe Basket/Basketball Player/Olympiacos (did I miss any?)
        Pistons: 2021-22 Let the Motorcade begin!!

Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

Comment

The only reason I can think of that the refs help non european teams, is that it is very bad for the tournament and the image of other continental leagues if only European teams qualify in this tournaments. Therefore they choose an enviroment which suits other teams and the refs give a helping hand to non european teams.

As I said before this event started, some of the european domestic leagues finished only one week before this tournament. It is not right for FIBA to organise this qualifying tournament.
          PAO EUROPEAN CHAMPION 1996 - 2000 - 2002 - 2007 - 2009 - 2011

Comment

Hmmm.....so let me get this straight, my two choices are:

1) Massive conspiracy involving large numbers of people from different organizations in different countries working to eliminate Greece and Macedonia because they believe that those teams may beat Team USA at the Olympics which would, of course, send the NBA as a league into a downward spiral and millions of people would stop watching because they no longer believe the NBA is the highest level of competition, thus leading owners like Cuban and others and Stern to lose large buckets of money or

2) Nigeria and Dominican Republic simply outplayed their opponents and were the better teams on one day

Tough choice for any sane mind

Comment

Originally posted by NorCal View Post
              Hmmm.....so let me get this straight, my two choices are:

1) Massive conspiracy involving large numbers of people from different organizations in different countries working to eliminate Greece and Macedonia because they believe that those teams may beat Team USA at the Olympics which would, of course, send the NBA as a league into a downward spiral and millions of people would stop watching because they no longer believe the NBA is the highest level of competition, thus leading owners like Cuban and others and Stern to lose large buckets of money or

2) Nigeria and Dominican Republic simply outplayed their opponents and were the better teams on one day

Tough choice for any sane mind
              Naah, the refs can give an extra hand to the underdogs. That's only human. After all, FIBA wants to make basketball more popular.

Comment

Originally posted by Victorious View Post
                The only reason I can think of that the refs help non european teams, is that it is very bad for the tournament and the image of other continental leagues if only European teams qualify in this tournaments. Therefore they choose an enviroment which suits other teams and the refs give a helping hand to non european teams.

As I said before this event started, some of the european domestic leagues finished only one week before this tournament. It is not right for FIBA to organise this qualifying tournament.
                Yes. Good point. I forgot to mention about how FIBA purposely made the schedule to help the non-European teams. You had guys in the Italian League playing, that literally had to hop on a plane to South America after the Italian League ended......

While by comparison, the other non-European teams were sitting around waiting.

For example, the Greek League actually had to change the league schedule, just to accommodate for the schedule that FIBA set in place. Now I ask this as a serious question......

can you imagine what would happen if FIBA made a schedule that required the NBA to change its schedule? The NBA would go nuts and probably boycott future tournaments.

But asking the Greek League to change its schedule was just par for the course. This is another thing, as FIBA Europe and the European federations were baffled at the schedule FIBA set into place.

First, make the European teams play right after their leagues end, and in some cases also make the league change their schedule, and then on top of this, make the European teams travel half way around the world and through several time zones.

While the Latin American teams are sitting their just waiting the whole time, or while the African and Asian teams even have a lot of time off to rest and train.

So no training time for European teams - check

Travel half way around the world and with no time to rest from domestic leagues for European teams
                - check

refs that favor the non-European teams - check

The more I think about it, this tournament will be the death of FIBA controlling anything in European basketball ever again.

Comment

Originally posted by Victorious View Post
                  Naah, the refs can give an extra hand to the underdogs. That's only human. After all, FIBA wants to make basketball more popular.
                  Did the refs force Greece to shoot 60% from the line too?
                  Pistons: 2021-22 Let the Motorcade begin!!

Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

Comment

Originally posted by Dtown View Post
                    I would just love to see you if Team USA gets robbed by the refs in a game. Of course it will never happen, since the refs always favor USA in every game they ever played in.

You remind me of the fans that said for years that Kings - Lakers 2002 and Mavs - Rockets 2005 were not manipulated by the refs. Then a few years later the FBI admits they were.

Yeah, it must be nice to be so naive.

Comment

I dont think Refs are annti-Euro as much as the rules they are treating is what Euro teams are not accustomed to. Thats why it feels like refs favouring the non-euro teams but in reality they are more whistling games like non-euro games that non-euro countries are more accostumed and have some advantage as its much easier for them to adopt the whistles than Euro's who are not used to the games being called like that.

This being said some refs from non-basketball countries were quite a bit awful compared to a colleagues who are used at whistling in big tournaments. Sometimes FIBA really overdoes in attempt to select as wide nationality refs as possible which sometimes lowers the reffing quality drastically, but normally its the same for both teams.

Comment

Originally posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
                        I dont think Refs are annti-Euro as much as the rules they are treating is what Euro teams are not accustomed to. Thats why it feels like refs favouring the non-euro teams but in reality they are more whistling games like non-euro games that non-euro countries are more accostumed and have some advantage as its much easier for them to adopt the whistles than Euro's who are not used to the games being called like that.

This being said some refs from non-basketball countries were quite a bit awful compared to a colleagues who are used at whistling in big tournaments. Sometimes FIBA really overdoes in attempt to select as wide nationality refs as possible which sometimes lowers the reffing quality drastically, but normally its the same for both teams.
                        I'm glad someone brought this point up. I remember one of the ESPN writers analyzing the same thing years ago after talking with Team USA players about how games are simply whistled differently (even beyond the traveling calls). Some of the rules are more 'relaxed' in certain regions and some are whistled more stringently, that's just a fact. Some regions allow more contact in the post or on the perimeter and some don't.

Comment

No, Greece lost on its own account. The game went on the wire and some people have complained about the refs. My point is simply that refs are only human and may have favored the underdog in some situations. But Greece should never have let it come to that point. And Yes, I think that FIBA will be delighted that at least one non-european team will qualify out of this tournament.

Comment

Why, then, Lithuania was not punished? The refs could've easily not called that travel against Peavy in the paint and that charge against Pocius.

Comment

Well it wouldn't be a proper tournament without a conspiracy thread from vs666/FIBA Europe Basket/Basketball Player/Olympiacos (did I miss any?)
                              SO TRUE!! It's a shame.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information