Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FIBA Europe Being "Punished" By FIBA In This Tournament?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So you say Europe being punished??

Listen Europeans! The FIBA Americas has become much closer to FIBA Europe in the last 2 years. P.R., D.R and Venezuela can beat any mid level Euro team. USA, Brazil and Argentina can beat any Euro team. The continents are relatively close at this point. Basketball is very competitive right now. Everyone should be happy! I always cheer for USA but I'm so proud of the growth of this beautiful game. To answer the question No I don't believe their is a FIBA Americas bias. I also believe Lietuva got the benefit of the calls in the 4th quarter. This is not why they won.

It seems to me that FIBA American teams have 2 things that help them against Euro squads. 1)Americano defense. Mainly aggressively attacking the passing lanes. That gives Euros problems. 2) A point guard advantage. All top FIBA American teams have point guards that can penetrate on ANY defense. Barea, Arroyo, Manu, Barbosa etc.

I also agree that FIBA regional zones refs are not consistent with each other. FIBA America play a more physical game. In FIBA Euro the Russians and Turks do as well. How do you fix that though?
    Last edited by Raze Lupin; 07-07-2012, 04:26 AM. Reason: I'm illiterate :D

Comment

Never seen someone here being as butthurt as Olympiacos is right now.

You went life and death against Nigeria, what makes you think you could have beaten a top level team at the Olympics? Better to get eliminated now than to disgrace yourself and your country against the big guys.
      Originally posted by J-Mart
      the land of the free and the home of the brave is the greatest joke I've ever heard. There is no such thing as liberty and the american dream is more overrated than Japeth Aguilar was when u guys found he was a pinoy
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by saalsapr View Post
        Never seen someone here being as butthurt as Olympiacos is right now.

You went life and death against Nigeria, what makes you think you could have beaten a top level team at the Olympics? Better to get eliminated now than to disgrace yourself and your country against the big guys.
        Our players played sleepy and they are out of this game.Perhaps they have the match against Russia.However,in the matches against Jordan and you we played well and we dont face any problem...

Comment

Originally posted by Raze Lupin View Post
          Listen Europeans! The FIBA Americas has become much closer to FIBA Europe in the last 2 years. P.R., D.R and Venezuela can beat any mid level Euro team. USA, Brazil and Argentina can beat any Euro team. The continents are relatively close at this point. Basketball is very competitive right now. Everyone should be happy! I always cheer for USA but I'm so proud of the growth of this beautiful game. To answer the question No I don't believe their is a FIBA Americas bias. I also believe Lietuva got the benefit of the calls in the 4th quarter. This is not why they won.

It seems to me that FIBA American teams have 2 things that help them against Euro squads. 1)Americano defense. Mainly aggressively attacking the passing lanes. That gives Euros problems. 2) A point guard advantage. All top FIBA American teams have point guards that can penetrate on ANY defense. Barea, Arroyo, Manu, Barbosa etc.

I also agree that FIBA regional zones refs are not consistent with each other. FIBA America play a more physical game. In FIBA Euro the Russians and Turks do as well. How do you fix that though?
          Puerto Rico couldn't beat mid-level teams like Greece and Lithuania in this tournament. And I doubt the Dominican Republic will be able to beat Lithuania. FYROM is not a mid-level team. The team had a dream tournament last year and before McCalebb joined them, they could barely qualify for Eurobasket. Argentina and Brazil could be medal candidates in Europe, along with Serbia, Lithuania, Greece, Turkey, Spain, France, Russia. Although I think that Argentina has had its best days and may not be part of that list as of next year. So FIBA Americas is very thin. I even think that Germany, Croatia, Slovenia and Italy are closer to the level of Puerto Rico and the Dominican republic.
          PAO EUROPEAN CHAMPION 1996 - 2000 - 2002 - 2007 - 2009 - 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Olympiacos View Post
            I would just love to see you if Team USA gets robbed by the refs in a game. Of course it will never happen, since the refs always favor USA in every game they ever played in.

You remind me of the fans that said for years that Kings - Lakers 2002 and Mavs - Rockets 2005 were not manipulated by the refs. Then a few years later the FBI admits they were.

Yeah, it must be nice to be so naive.
            Usually the US is up by double digits, so getting jobbed by the refs is a moot point. If Greece hits its free-throws, we're not having this discussion. PERIOD. The same situation happened six years ago when the US lost fair and square to Greece; if we hit our FTs, we would've won. But we didn't, and no one with credibility on this side of the pond blamed the refs, silly conspiracy theories, lack of preparation, bad Japanese cuisine or anything else. We lost to a BETTER team, no ifs, ands, or buts.

You'll rail and rant against "arrogant" Americans, yet ironically, by denying Nigeria its due credit for beating a supposedly superior team, you express the very uppidiness that you claim you can't stand. How does the shoe feel, buddy?

Lastly, your six year run of attention whoring must get tiresome at some point, right? It would definitely ware my ass out.
            Last edited by Federoy; 07-07-2012, 05:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Victorious View Post
              Puerto Rico couldn't beat mid-level teams like Greece and Lithuania in this tournament. And I doubt the Dominican Republic will be able to beat Lithuania. FYROM is not a mid-level team. The team had a dream tournament last year and before McCalebb joined them, they could barely qualify for Eurobasket. Argentina and Brazil could be medal candidates in Europe, along with Serbia, Lithuania, Greece, Turkey, Spain, France, Russia. Although I think that Argentina has had its best days and may not be part of that list as of next year. So FIBA Americas is very thin. I even think that Germany, Croatia, Slovenia and Italy are closer to the level of Puerto Rico and the Dominican republic.
              Lithuania struggled against both Venezuela and P.R.. The most objective view is Lietuva and P.R. are even at this point. Lietuva had no answer for the American guards. Greece got beat by low level Nigeria. Credit the Nigerians but Greece showed poor execution. FYROM beat Greece and Lietuva. D.R. beat FYROM. P.R played Lietuva even. As of right now I don't see a clear superiority. I believe quality of FIBA Americas and FIBA Europe is relatively even. Europe isn't far superior in quality. Europe is Superior in volume. Meaning they have more teams that have good quality.

FIBA Americas
              1st tier: USA, Brazil, Argentina 2nd tier:Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, 3rd tier: Venezuela

FIBA Europe
              1st tier: Spain, France, Russia 2rd tier: Lietuva, Greece, Turkey, Serbia 3rd tier: Italy, Slovenia, Croatia, FYROM

It looks to me that Europe just has more teams

Comment

Lithuania struggled against both Venezuela and P.R.. The most objective view is Lietuva and P.R. are even at this point. Lietuva had no answer for the American guards. Greece got beat by low level Nigeria. Credit the Nigerians but Greece showed poor execution. FYROM beat Greece and Lietuva. D.R. beat FYROM. P.R played Lietuva even. As of right now I don't see a clear superiority. I believe quality of FIBA Americas and FIBA Europe is relatively even. Europe isn't far superior in quality. Europe is Superior in volume. Meaning they have more teams that have good quality.

FIBA Americas
                1st tier: USA, Brazil, Argentina 2nd tier:Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, 3rd tier: Venezuela

FIBA Europe
                1st tier: Spain, France, Russia 2rd tier: Lietuva, Greece, Turkey, Serbia 3rd tier: Italy, Slovenia, Croatia, FYROM

Lithuania did not have struggles agaisnt venezuela. I mean they won comfortably and were leading all game long. This is not struggling. They were supperior through and through.

Against Rico. Lithuania sucked as much as Rico. You are saying it that if Rico would have played all of their limits they would have won but lithuania were far from having a good game either. Who knows really who would have won if both NT's would have had good games. Both had bad games and Lithuania were stronger.

And dont blame refs for the last calls because Lith's can equally blame refs for keeping the game close when difference was nine points with little time left on the clock.

Comment

I believe refs are equally horrible concerning all the teams in this tournament...I've never seen so many players being simply baffled by some of these outrageous calls and non-calls. FIBA is really struggling with refereeing integrity lately - delegating low level refs to such prestigious competition is a big no no in my honest opinion. Bad calls destroy the flow of the games and parades to the free throw line become tedious and simply unwatchable...

Comment

Olympiacos!

I agree that Greece was robbed by refs in the last episode (and maybe in some others). But you don't get a point here! It's not about refeering. It was OK in Lithuania games against local teams. And Dominica really was better than Macedonia. The point is, that 3-rd place in this tournament is going to have much easier group in London (first 2 goes to death group) And greeks would do their tricky things again, as they did in WC 2010! That's why you were punished, it's obvious. Such things never get forgotten.

Comment

This thread is disappointing. The reason that we are cranky is because we miss our old team. The last Euro was a disaster for us cause we had an entirely new team. Now Diamandidis chose to go on vacations and Sofo wont give up eating pancakes. Nevertheless Greece was a superteam among Spain and Russia and can be again.

Comment

FIBA Americas

FIBA Europe

Wrong. Have Fiba Americas (sans USA) teams come to Europe right after their club seasons to play in a 3 game knockout tournament and you will see their "real" strength against Fiba Europe.
                        Lithuania > Serbia 5:2 in official games this century

Comment

Working...
                        X

Debug Information