Top Players at Olympic Qualifying Tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jiggawhat View Post
    Whatever. Defense and shot blocking is a skillset. He is the best player in the tournament. Certainly better than any Greek NT scrub
    Kirilenko wasn't better than Spanoulis at the either this tournament or at the Euroleague Final Four (where he also got outplayed by "Greek scrubs" Papanikolaou and Printezis). Strange how the "most skilled player" was not even as good as some "Greek scrubs" lately.

And Kirilenko wasn't the best player at the tournament. He was probably the best SF. He wasn't the best player though. Actually, he wasn't even the best Russian player at the tournament, as Fridzon was definitely better than him.

Comment

Originally posted by Olympiacos View Post
      Kirilenko wasn't better than Spanoulis at the either this tournament or at the Euroleague Final Four (where he also got outplayed by "Greek scrubs" Papanikolaou and Printezis). Strange how the "most skilled player" was not even as good as some "Greek scrubs" lately.

And Kirilenko wasn't the best player at the tournament. He was probably the best SF. He wasn't the best player though. Actually, he wasn't even the best Russian player at the tournament, as Fridzon was definitely better than him.
      Kirilenko has proven his skills on another level while Spanoulis was a scrub.

Spanoulis game is limited to Euroleague:

Russia would not go anywhere without Kirilenko. His importance extends way beyond his stats.

Comment

Originally posted by sixama23 View Post
        I know that he is undersized and average athlete for the NBA. But in Europe he can be a top PF/C at Euroleague level and earn some good money.
        I definitely agree. He maybe useful more in Europe.

Comment

Originally posted by Southpaw View Post

Russia would not go anywhere without Kirilenko. His importance extends way beyond his stats.
          The title of this is top players at Olympic qualification tournament.

So what Spanoulis did 5 years ago in the NBA, is the sole judge of his performance 5 years later in a FIBA tournament.....nice logic from the NBA only fans as always.

Also, you need to start thinking of another word other than "scrub" to use. Because it automatically outs you to the whole forum as an NBA only fan, since they are the only basketball fans on the planet that use that term.

Try to at least be a little more tactful, since this isn't an NBA only fan forum.

Comment

I don't get what this whole "most skilled player" discussion is about. Each fan admires different skills, so obviously what they think is "best" is different.

I think Kirilenko did happen to be a fantastic two-way player (as always) in this tournament, so saying he was the best all-around in terms of contributing a little bit of everything? Well, it's at least arguable. He's not "average" at everything, but "above average but not great" at everything. Everything. That's a huge difference and an extraordinarily rare talent. On the other hand, truth be told, Spanoulis didn't let his team down for sure. If any player from an eliminated team is blameless in the loss, it's Spanoulis. Whoever calls him a scrub didn't watch any of the games, or else is letting some personal feeling get in the way of basketball sense

My top five:

PG: Spanoulis
            SG: Fridzon
            SF: Kleiza
            PF: Kirilenko
            C: Diogu

Can't wait for the real games to start soon!
            Last edited by Pleasant; 07-10-2012, 05:18 AM. Reason: wrong Lithuanian :P

Comment

Originally posted by Olympiacos View Post
              Try to at least be a little more tactful, since this isn't an NBA only fan forum.
              That coming from you made my day

I from Wisconsin!
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca6O8FR0rbQ

TO SYNTHESIZER WE ARE A BIG TEAM

Comment

Originally posted by Southpaw View Post

Well, you're a troll obviously so I shouldn't bother with an answer. But there are some facts which I want to outline: 1) most of his NBA career Kirilenko was just a role player, valuable and useful but not a some kind of extraterestrial star; 2) Kirilenko's doubtful 'domination' in Europe is mostly explained by his athletic abilities and not his understanding of the game or even his own offensive prowess; 3) your third sentence is an epitome of closed-mindedness - Russia isn't limited to 'great Kirilenko and some other Euro scrubs', don't you remember that Russian team without Kirilenko gave the US the toughest fight in play-offs in 2010.

Symbolic 12-men team of the tournament:
                Bo McCalebb - Vassilis Spanoulis - Mantas Kalnietis
                Vitali Fridzon - Adeola Dagunduro
                Al-Farouq Aminu - Jonas Maciulis - Eulis Baez
                Linas Kleiza - Andrei Kirilenko
                Jack Michael Martinez - Alexander Kaun
                2013/2014 IBN Euroleague Prediction Game Winner

Thrash 'till Death!

Comment

Tribute to Ike Diogu, the guy was just a beast in the tournament, I hope he gets back to the NBA.
                  Visit http://teamnigeriabasketball.com/ for Nigerian Basketball

Comment

Athleticism is part of how good of a player you are. It doesn't matter if you have basketball IQ and skills or whatever, if you can't jump and run, you could still be a scrub.

Comment

Yeah, and athleticism without any other skill will get you no where, ask the Nigerians from a few years back. Athletic scrubs are still scrubs.

Comment

Except Kirilenko has more skills than 90% of European players

Comment

Originally posted by jiggawhat View Post
                          Athleticism is part of how good of a player you are. It doesn't matter if you have basketball IQ and skills or whatever, if you can't jump and run, you could still be a scrub.
                          Without skills atheltic scrubs are still scrubs.

Comment

Working...
                          X

Debug Information