Revolution in FIBA Europe, as Zanolin dismissed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Revolution in FIBA Europe, as Zanolin dismissed

FIBA Europe is undergoing serious changes, led by its Icelandic president Olafur Rafnsson, under who’s whim the Executive Committee decided to sack the current secretary general Nar Zanolin. According to lrytas.lt, Rafnsson called an extraordinary meeting on Monday, in which the decision was made.

“It’s a strange situation. All I can say that a vote about FIBA Europe’s separation from FIBA was scheduled for the General Assembly next week,” said Mindaugas Balciunas, the general secretary of the Lithuanian Basketball Federation (LKF).

The national federations were notified of the sacking of Zanolin on Monday evening and representative from many countries have already flown to FIBA Europe headquarters in Munich to discuss the situation.

Balciunas explained, that the president Rafnsson called the Executive Committee for an extraordinary meeting, which allowed to avoid the FIBA Europe Board meeting in the process of firing Nar Zanolin.

“It’s still not clear whether these actions were actually legal. It’s an unexpected turn in FIBA Europe. We wanted to unite the organisation, but this has done no favours at all,” revealed Balciunas, who also noted that it is likely that legal actions will be taken and the decision to fire Zanolin will be appealed.

Source: lrytas.lt

If fireing Zanolin actually was borderline illegal, Fiba world is obviously panicking. Completely understandable considering the ammount of money at stake.
    Originally posted by Jon_Koncak
    That's funny shit.I cant believe there are sports fans thinking like it.It's like Federer losing to random Japanese player in round 1 of French Open but tournament director stepping in and saying "hey it was a fluke win who wants to watch a random Japanese guy in next round,Federer qualifies"

Comment

Zanolin says goodbye through Eurohoops

Another compilation of amazing moves in the Basketball Champions League Top 5 plays of the week

The news spread like wildfire on Tuesday morning, but now there is an official confirmation. Nar Zanolin is no longer the secretary general of the European basketball federation, as he said himself to eurohoops.net: “It’s true that this is what happened and I am not the FIBA Europe secretary general any more”.

Many things were heard and written about the reason of his dismissal. The Canadian himself answered about everything and specially about the information that had him send letters to national federations, asking them to back the proposal for a two year Eurobasket cycle. His answer was: “No, I didn’t do that. I did what I was asked by some national federations. They wanted me to prepare a document for them. I didn’t act on my own. I acted as a I always did, as I think that I should do for the interest of our federations members”.

When he was asked if there will be a legal action about his dismissal he said: “What happened it’s still very fresh. I don’t have any problem. If this is legal or no, it’s a question that maybe will be answered by other organizations”.

Zanolin underlines that he has a clear conscience: “I am serene. What I did all those years was for the best interest of FIBA Europe and its members, not just for one country. I consider that FIBA Europe is now a strong entity, a lot stronger than before. All my actions were made with that notion on my mind, I acted for the best interest of all our members and I have a clear conscience”.

Comment

While FIBA Europe president Rafnsson, didn't wanted to comment this situation to delfi.lt. He said, that now he's in a meeting and that recently he is very busy, so probably won't find a time for a talk. But soon they are going to make an official announcement.

Comment

FIBA Europe is a complete joke.

Iceland, Gibraltar, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany...seems like the most important and the most successful countries in basketball are running the show. And why is that guy from Canada in there anyway?

I from Wisconsin!
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca6O8FR0rbQ

TO SYNTHESIZER WE ARE A BIG TEAM

Comment

If anyone accidentaly wondered where all those millions from eurobaskets and world championships actualy go to... Zanolin was reportedly offered 1 million € due to early termination of the contract, yet demands the entire 1.7 mio €. FFS !!!
            Normaly I am the one calming down people whineing about the revenues of some individuals, yet considering this is freaking Fiba we're talking about and not some company working in a normal competitive market enviroment, those sums are completely unproportionate! I wonder where all the other funds go to, eurobasket TV rights aren't some cheap shit and I don't see many other realistic spendings than basic Fiba employees & infrastructure...
            That's funny shit.I cant believe there are sports fans thinking like it.It's like Federer losing to random Japanese player in round 1 of French Open but tournament director stepping in and saying "hey it was a fluke win who wants to watch a random Japanese guy in next round,Federer qualifies"

Comment

Originally posted by Joško Poljak Fan View Post
              If anyone accidentaly wondered where all those millions from eurobaskets and world championships actualy go to... Zanolin was reportedly offered 1 million € due to early termination of the contract, yet demands the entire 1.7 mio €. FFS !!!
              Normaly I am the one calming down people whineing about the revenues of some individuals, yet considering this is freaking Fiba we're talking about and not some company working in a normal competitive market enviroment, those sums are completely unproportionate! I wonder where all the other funds go to, eurobasket TV rights aren't some cheap shit and I don't see many other realistic spendings than basic Fiba employees & infrastructure...
              I would personally go for 1,7 Mill as well if I would have been fired without a proper reason.
              I wonder how much Sepp Blatter would receive if sacked...20 Mill?
              We all know whats going on with the ones running the show. Doesnt matter if its FIBA,FIFA, NBA and so on. Look at the European Union and its parliament and what kind of benefits the politicans receive...there is no legitimacy to get rewards for doing so little. Same goes for sports. There wont be any protests of basketball players in Geneva in front of the offices though

I from Wisconsin!
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca6O8FR0rbQ

TO SYNTHESIZER WE ARE A BIG TEAM

Comment

Czech, Kamil Novak also ex. director of Frankfurt Skyliners was voted as the new secretary general of Fiba Europe. I would be glad if someone would be able to explain some insight on all this supposed controversy. I've read some stuff about it, but mostly general stuff only.

Comment

someone is crapping all over my favourite sport... and that crapping is comming from western europe

chairman from iceland?
                  Last edited by LjutiKrilo; 01-08-2013, 01:31 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X

Debug Information