Stern: age limit on Olympics basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mindozas View Post
    Even if that would theoretically (maybe) help in case of parity - the tournament still would be dead and buried.

With football it's totally different and long story and is an exception. Sadly now it's simply impossible to change the routine/schedule and bring the best football to Olympics, so only that compromise was found with 3 23+ players. While for any other sports there must be no stupid age restrictions for Olympics, it's the biggest sports event, the dream of most athletes, so why the hell to ruin it all?
    This is David Stern we are talking about.

Comment

Stern: age limit on Olympics basketball

I dont agree with mir. Stern in this. Olimpics is the best sporting event in earth and the best should be there dont matter the age.

Now, looking a U23 tournament in the olimpics, you think that it would be the best u23 12 teams in the world taking part of this!!!!!!!!!!!! It still be a good tournament. Lets see.

Comment

Originally posted by cardenales View Post
        I dont agree with mir. Stern in this. Olimpics is the best sporting event in earth and the best should be there dont matter the age.

Now, looking a U23 tournament in the olimpics, you think that it would be the best u23 12 teams in the world taking part of this!!!!!!!!!!!! It still be a good tournament. Lets see.
        No. Because the 12 best teams in the world don't compete at the Olympics.

Comment

David Stern might push for Olympic basketball age limit in 2016

If the proposition becomes concrete, the end of the Dream Team tradition for the USA.
          Sacramento Kings
          HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

Comment

“I have not talked to [Stern]. Yes, I’m thrilled,” Cuban wrote in an e-mail to ESPNDallas.com. “More thrilled if the NBA starts its own world championship. This way the revenues from the tourney could be shared with players. When the revenues go to FIBA they get next to nothing. The teams get absolutely nothing.

What in the world is wrong with this guy? The NBA starts its own world championship and pays the players and teams? Is he retarded?

Comment

They just do what they want and FIBA do what they ask them to do. FIBA already have adopt some of the stupidest NBA rules, like the arrow instead of Jump for the ball.

Comment

Originally posted by Olympiacos View Post
                “I have not talked to [Stern]. Yes, I’m thrilled,” Cuban wrote in an e-mail to ESPNDallas.com. “More thrilled if the NBA starts its own world championship. This way the revenues from the tourney could be shared with players. When the revenues go to FIBA they get next to nothing. The teams get absolutely nothing.

What in the world is wrong with this guy? The NBA starts its own world championship and pays the players and teams? Is he retarded?
                He has no notion of international basketball. He has the best foreigner of the world on his team and still he can't get the picture outside the NBA. I'm not sure he's really retarded or the obsession for money led to his retardation. Like some Portuguese philosopher once said, it's not him who owns money, money owns him.
                Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
                Artificial Nature

Comment

i've always been in favor of copying how soccer does it completely.

it is impossible to have both the WC and olympics every 2 years. this will phase out the olympics and make it primarily a u-23 world championship and move the WBC to the top of the hierarchy.

they moved the years so that the wbc wont overlap with the soccer world cup and can have its own summer of publicity too. i think this will be great.

the only downfall is the euro nat federations who will not make as much money with fewer eurobaskets and then they will have less money to develop players.

Comment

Originally posted by cardenales View Post
                    They just do what they want and FIBA do what they ask them to do. FIBA already have adopt some of the stupidest NBA rules, like the arrow instead of Jump for the ball.
                    That's not an NBA rule.
                    Pistons: 2021-22 Let the Motorcade begin!!

Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

Comment

Two quotes from a recent GQ article about the dream team. Stern's been apathetic about the Olympics longer than we give him credit for.

David Stern (NBA commissioner): The notion that the NBA wanted to redeem the 1988 loss? Patently wrong. From our view, we were stuck with playing in the Olympics. We didn't see it becoming the phenomenon that it became.
                      and

Stern: We said to FIBA [the international basketball federation] that we weren't gung ho to play in the Olympics, but we would try to be good soldiers to support basketball. So they had a vote. The U.S. was against it, and the Russians were against it, too. But the overwhelming vote was in favor.
                      Read more at http://www.gq.com/sports/profiles/20...#ixzz1xcB6nPrw
                      Pistons: 2021-22 Let the Motorcade begin!!

Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

Comment

This U.S American calvinistic avaricious business attitude really starts to become annoying. First your Wallstreet gangster push the whole world-economy in one of the biggest crisis ever seen on the planet for the 4rd year in a row.
                        And now your Mc-"Marc Cuban"s want to destroy all sorts of international basketball competitions because they think they own their players like slaves.

I do not care if the US or rather the NBA wants to isolate from the rest of the world. If you like you can send 6 years old kids to the competitions I do not care. But if foreign players in the NBA are not allowed to play with their national teams, this really becomes a probem which should not be tolerated.

Stern says that basketball should implement a similiar system like soccer.
                        A four year cycle with an offset of two years between worldchampionship and continentalchampionship which implies that professional players will not be sent to the Olympic basketball tournament anymore.
                        However the Sterns and the Cubans should bear in mind that the soccer system has a qualification procedure where games are schedulde during the regular season. How would club owners like a scenario where the whole NBA system stops every now and than for a whole week because the players have to prepare for and to play in a qualification game with the national team.
                        Last edited by fasoulaki; 06-12-2012, 11:25 PM.
                        You live with the Freak you die with the Freak!!!

Comment

Originally posted by fasoulaki View Post
                          However the Sterns and the Cubans should bear in mind that the soccer system has a qualification procedure where games are schedulde during the regular season. How would club owners like a scenario where the whole NBA system stops every now and than for a whole week because the players have to prepare for and to play in a qualification game with the national team.
                          I think it is pretty obvious that Cuban is in his own world on this. The comment about just having the world championship be owned by the NBA is absurd. And he actually implied that they would pay the players, as if the NBA is going to do that, when they just had an owner lockout, because the owners are already mad from losing so much money.

Not to mention that he seems to imply that just NBA players would make a "world championship", or that anything owned by a club league would equal to a national team competition.

And yes, if they took the football (soccer) schedule, then Cuban, who claims to be "happy" if they do this, will then be the first one to be irate with his complaints that some players on the Mavs got called by USA Basketball, or whatever country's federation, to play in their qualification games during scheduled times of the NBA season.

He probably does not even watch or follow European football, and he probably has no clue as to how it even works. The comment about the NBA owning it with NBA players is pretty revealing. Because if they did take the football model, then you would have young teams and B teams playing all the time too.

Because that is how it works in football. You have a much bigger field of national team players that you rotate in and out. USA could never take on this schedule and then try to limit it to simply NBA players. It could not work logistically. So you would have to have NCAA players in there too, and how is the NBA going to pay them when the NCAA rules forbid it. Or does Cuban really think that the NBA is going to provide a list of players with enough names to make 3-4 teams worth of 12 players and let them rotate out to play during the NBA season.

It's funny to have the guy commenting like that, when he clearly knows nothing about what he is saying. I would be absolutely shocked if the NBA owners ever agreed to let their players be called during the NBA season, which would be necessary if they did adopt the football schedule. And the idea of the NBA paying the players to compete is hilarious.

Sure, they are going to pay for a national team like Lithuania or Greece to play, when they have 10-12 players in these big tournaments that don't even play in the NBA. And does he really think that a tournament with just NBA players would ever be considered as legit anywhere in the world outside of the USA/Canada?

Stern on the other hand, with this limiting to under 23, if he means to limit all nations to that and force them to do so simply because the NBA wants it like that, well then he is out of his mind with ego. I can't see any way that the other federations will ever agree to that, no matter what Stern wants or even if FIBA does what he wants. The international federations are not going to go for that and they should not do so.
                          Last edited by Olympiacos; 06-13-2012, 09:53 PM.

Comment

US media is already starting to push for eliminating players over 23 from all countries....

Why does the USA think it has the right to decide this for all the countries?

Comment

Originally posted by Olympiacos View Post
                              US media is already starting to push for eliminating players over 23 from all countries....

Why does the USA think it has the right to decide this for all the countries?

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/ey...-to-23andunder
                              This article is titled "why the United States should go to 23 and under" not "why the Olympics should become a 23 and under competition". Unless I missed something, the article makes numerous claims that imply only the USA moving to an under 23 team. Am I missing something?

Comment

Originally posted by NorCal View Post
                                This article is titled "why the United States should go to 23 and under" not "why the Olympics should become a 23 and under competition". Unless I missed something, the article makes numerous claims that imply only the USA moving to an under 23 team. Am I missing something?
                                The article implied that the whole world, as in all professional players in the world that are over 23 should be banned from international competitions after the 2012 Olympics. If the NBA really pushes this and FIBA agrees to it, then it's time to remove FIBA as the power that controls international basketball.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information