Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Stern: age limit on Olympics basketball

1)How is the NBA crying in this situation?? It was just a suggestion that USA only send 23 and under like futbol Olympic tourney.

2)USA did send its best teams to FIBA WC 2010 and Olympics 2008.

3) I agree with you the NBA needs a shorter season. I prefer 66 game season.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Raze Lupin View Post
    1)How is the NBA crying in this situation?? It was just a suggestion that USA only send 23 and under like futbol Olympic tourney.

2)USA did send its best teams to FIBA WC 2010 and Olympics 2008.

3) I agree with you the NBA needs a shorter season. I prefer 66 game season.
    Stern seems to be implying either NBA players or all players, not just Team USA players. So that would definitely be Stern trying to wield way more power than he should have over the sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympiacos View Post

Whatever makes more money is what is more prestigious to the NBA. FIBA World Cup has the potential to make them way more money than the Olympics does.
    This isn't true. At this time the FIBA world cup does not have the potential to make the NBA more money than the Olympics. The Olympics is a much bigger draw for casual fans.

Yes I interpreted Stern's interview as either or. Either the tourney be 23 or under for everyone or if not the USA should field its best 23 and under. Either way its just a suggestion and whether you like the guy or not he has a right to express his opinions. As of now there is no FIBA legislative moves or proposals. That we know of...

Might not be a bad idea. Focus on the World Championships instead of the Olympics, in my opinion. Basketball is just one part of the Olympics, but a stand-alone tournament would be much more popular.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Raze Lupin View Post
    This isn't true. At this time the FIBA world cup does not have the potential to make the NBA more money than the Olympics. The Olympics is a much bigger draw for casual fans.
    Yes it does. Easily. As soon as the Olympics was made an U-23 tournament, then Americans would watch FIBA World Cup instead. FIBA and the NBA (under this proposal) would share the profits. Where now the Olympics gets most of the profits.

Thus, FIBA World Cup can be more profitable than the Olympics are.
    Last edited by Olympiacos; 06-02-2012 at 06:18 PM.

Not sure how some people here can even ...
    Everyone should be entitled to participate in Olympics .Age discrimination is illegal ,no matter what.Same way as race discrimination.So if he said that black people should not participate ,people would tear him apart,right?
    Yet...
    As for the money- the only tickets unsold for London 2012 are football .Loads and loads of it.

Quote Originally Posted by auris1 View Post
    Age discrimination is illegal ,no matter what.Same way as race discrimination.
    Not true

Now if Stern's plan is followed, who will watch Olympics Basketball now?

Then again, other nations might have a better chance at winning too so i guess that helps the parity of the tournament.
    If there is no basketball in heaven, i am NOT going.

SMALLBALL, bitches..

Quote Originally Posted by durden_tyler View Post
    Now if Stern's plan is followed, who will watch Olympics Basketball now?

Then again, other nations might have a better chance at winning too so i guess that helps the parity of the tournament.
    Even if that would theoretically (maybe) help in case of parity - the tournament still would be dead and buried.

With football it's totally different and long story and is an exception. Sadly now it's simply impossible to change the routine/schedule and bring the best football to Olympics, so only that compromise was found with 3 23+ players. While for any other sports there must be no stupid age restrictions for Olympics, it's the biggest sports event, the dream of most athletes, so why the hell to ruin it all?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mindozas View Post
    Even if that would theoretically (maybe) help in case of parity - the tournament still would be dead and buried.

With football it's totally different and long story and is an exception. Sadly now it's simply impossible to change the routine/schedule and bring the best football to Olympics, so only that compromise was found with 3 23+ players. While for any other sports there must be no stupid age restrictions for Olympics, it's the biggest sports event, the dream of most athletes, so why the hell to ruin it all?
    This is David Stern we are talking about.

Default Stern: age limit on Olympics basketball

I dont agree with mir. Stern in this. Olimpics is the best sporting event in earth and the best should be there dont matter the age.

Now, looking a U23 tournament in the olimpics, you think that it would be the best u23 12 teams in the world taking part of this!!!!!!!!!!!! It still be a good tournament. Lets see.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by cardenales View Post
    I dont agree with mir. Stern in this. Olimpics is the best sporting event in earth and the best should be there dont matter the age.

Now, looking a U23 tournament in the olimpics, you think that it would be the best u23 12 teams in the world taking part of this!!!!!!!!!!!! It still be a good tournament. Lets see.
    No. Because the 12 best teams in the world don't compete at the Olympics.

David Stern might push for Olympic basketball age limit in 2016

If the proposition becomes concrete, the end of the Dream Team tradition for the USA.
    Sacramento Kings
    HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

Banned

“I have not talked to [Stern]. Yes, I’m thrilled,” Cuban wrote in an e-mail to ESPNDallas.com. “More thrilled if the NBA starts its own world championship. This way the revenues from the tourney could be shared with players. When the revenues go to FIBA they get next to nothing. The teams get absolutely nothing.

What in the world is wrong with this guy? The NBA starts its own world championship and pays the players and teams? Is he retarded?

They just do what they want and FIBA do what they ask them to do. FIBA already have adopt some of the stupidest NBA rules, like the arrow instead of Jump for the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympiacos View Post
    “I have not talked to [Stern]. Yes, I’m thrilled,” Cuban wrote in an e-mail to ESPNDallas.com. “More thrilled if the NBA starts its own world championship. This way the revenues from the tourney could be shared with players. When the revenues go to FIBA they get next to nothing. The teams get absolutely nothing.

What in the world is wrong with this guy? The NBA starts its own world championship and pays the players and teams? Is he retarded?
    He has no notion of international basketball. He has the best foreigner of the world on his team and still he can't get the picture outside the NBA. I'm not sure he's really retarded or the obsession for money led to his retardation. Like some Portuguese philosopher once said, it's not him who owns money, money owns him.
    Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
    Artificial Nature

i've always been in favor of copying how soccer does it completely.

it is impossible to have both the WC and olympics every 2 years. this will phase out the olympics and make it primarily a u-23 world championship and move the WBC to the top of the hierarchy.

they moved the years so that the wbc wont overlap with the soccer world cup and can have its own summer of publicity too. i think this will be great.

the only downfall is the euro nat federations who will not make as much money with fewer eurobaskets and then they will have less money to develop players.

Quote Originally Posted by cardenales View Post
    They just do what they want and FIBA do what they ask them to do. FIBA already have adopt some of the stupidest NBA rules, like the arrow instead of Jump for the ball.
    That's not an NBA rule.
    Pistons: 2018-2019 In the middle of nowhere

Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

Two quotes from a recent GQ article about the dream team. Stern's been apathetic about the Olympics longer than we give him credit for.

David Stern (NBA commissioner): The notion that the NBA wanted to redeem the 1988 loss? Patently wrong. From our view, we were stuck with playing in the Olympics. We didn't see it becoming the phenomenon that it became.
    and

Stern: We said to FIBA [the international basketball federation] that we weren't gung ho to play in the Olympics, but we would try to be good soldiers to support basketball. So they had a vote. The U.S. was against it, and the Russians were against it, too. But the overwhelming vote was in favor.
    Read more at http://www.gq.com/sports/profiles/20...#ixzz1xcB6nPrw
    Pistons: 2018-2019 In the middle of nowhere

Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast