Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

German BBL to become the best league in Europe by 2020?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• German BBL to become the best league in Europe by 2020?

A piece on BBL CEO Jan Pommer's statement
    sigpic

The basketball shop.

https://www.interbasket.net/forums/s...-Obradovic-Era

Loved the article, obviously it also took some time to write it down - sth. I really miss such articles in this generaly more or less "copy-paste reporter" era.

That's the way to go obviously, I mean not only for BBL, whole Uleb will have to aknowledge that without various leagues improving, euro bball competitions can never reach their upmost potential (meaning instead on focusing on those 10 top euro clubs, they should've actualy focus on those top 6-7 leagues as well)
    Instead of licencing the clubs, I wonder if it wasn't actualy more beneficial to licence the leagues instead and slowely improve their product.

Regarding the subject. I doubt that goal is reachable untill the 2020, mainly due to tax differences within various countries, f.e. Russians will keep having that edge (nevermind the crisis) supplying them with better players, yet from organisational and marketing stand point they're already way behind BBL. Actually, apart from ACB and occasionaly Italian Lega - all european leagues were behind BBL at those two criteria for the past two decades, nevermind not as high performance of German teams in european competition.
    Catching up with ACB means catching up with all 3 basque team's, Real, Unicaja as well as Valencia, Barca and some others along, not that it's impossible, Germany has the capacity to surpass that, yet it would imo take longer period than just a decade to achieve that. I mean Spain has around 10 teams with 10k+ capacity infrastructure being able to fill those arenas, that's not really easy to surpass on the short term.
    Apart from Spain, Turkey may have the potential to challenge them, while I am not sensing any efforts to improve the league from Russia f.e., bball in Italy is mostly based in smaller cities and misses Bologna derby way too much, teams from Adriatic league would need twice or three times as big budgets to make it work (they've basicaly got almost everything else), Greece is lately all about Oly-Pao and France... well I still can't get over the fact Uleb wasn't able to find a TV broadcasting the games few years back.
    Fans mostly evaluate the leagues due to succes of it's teams, that's the tougher part, otherwise BBL migt already be no.2 in europe.
    Originally posted by Jon_Koncak
    That's funny shit.I cant believe there are sports fans thinking like it.It's like Federer losing to random Japanese player in round 1 of French Open but tournament director stepping in and saying "hey it was a fluke win who wants to watch a random Japanese guy in next round,Federer qualifies"

Comment

Obviously the piece was an examination of facts based on Pommer's bold statement, to see if it is possible at all or if the possibility should be ruled out. Not an advocation on that it will happen.

Other than that it is a huge challenge indeed. In any case the German league seems to be on the right track. Even if they can't surpass Turkey's or Russia's budget, I'll take financial stability over crazy spending for a year or two and then collapsing (teams from russia, turkey poland have all been there simply because the main sponsor left) any day of the week.

Finally I really would like to see what will happen when the financial fair play is enforced in the Euroleague. Budgets of teams like CSKA, Barca, Real, Panathinaikos, Olympiacos etc should drop dramatically. If so, German financially healthy clubs could have a shot with 10-12 million euro budgets.
      sigpic

The basketball shop.

https://www.interbasket.net/forums/s...-Obradovic-Era

Comment

Some of the guys mentioned somewhere here within the forum, that the new Uleb's financial fair play regulations are supposed to copy germans BBL rules. Do you have those implemented already? if so, how do they work exactly?
        That's funny shit.I cant believe there are sports fans thinking like it.It's like Federer losing to random Japanese player in round 1 of French Open but tournament director stepping in and saying "hey it was a fluke win who wants to watch a random Japanese guy in next round,Federer qualifies"

Comment

The financial fair play is to three quarters orientated on our (german) licencing system -the uefa financialfairplay replaced the former licencing system of the uefa. Many points are copied from the financial fair play of the uefa. I was searching for the rules of our licencing system but couldnt find any details so far.
          The basic rule is not to spend more money than you earn (break even). past 3-4 years should be the timeframe to monitor and to lower the yearly deficit, finally to zero. The point is to refuse clubs the possibility to equalize their deficit through private investors or patrons. The ffplay (uefa) allows to level the deficit just up to a limited sum!

Content:
          break eve rule
          Minimum budget
          maximum financial loss border
          just a certain percentage of the budget is allowed to be invested in players (for example 8% of the budget has to be invested in the youth department)

Thats everything i know so far, i think there arent more details published, this the summer the ffp should be more specified referring to an intervew

Comment

Thanks JuJu for the info, I got the general picture now If any of you guys find any further details regarding the BBL fair play, don't hesitate to post it.

Comment

I think the BBL fair play is a good chance for basketball in Europe. You only can sign the best players if you really have enough money to do it. There are so many clubs who try to get really strong, really fast without a long term plan...

Comment

ULEB 2013 Devotion Marketing Awards finalists announced

Euroleague Basketball is pleased to announce that Alba Berlin, Anadolu Efes Istanbul and Olympiacos Piraeus are the three finalists for the 2013 Devotion Marketing Awards. The order of the winners will be announced on Wednesday, July 3 before the start of the European Basketball Marketing Summit.

Six clubs from among the 56 that competed in the Turkish Airlines Euroleague and the Eurocup in the 2012-13 season were initially chosen as 2013 Devotion Marketing Awards nominees by Euroleague Basketball. All participating clubs had the chance to vote for any of the six nominees, but could not vote for itself. The final results are a compilation of the votes made by Euroleague Basketball and its member clubs.

The three finalists impressed voters with an array of marketing measures that raised the teams' profiles in their respective communities, whether through branding enhancement, improved ticket sales or interactively connecting with the local media and fans.

Alba Berlin finished a noteworthy brand repositioning, which aims at getting the club closer to the fans and Berliners in general. Alba Berlin has also developed several marketing activations and grassroots programs to increase its footprint and fan-base in the city, and it has also strengthen its tickets’ and sponsors’ sales programs. Alba Berlin was the Gold Devotion Marketing Award winner in 2009.
                Basketball Capital
                ALBA Berlin@Wikipedia

Comment

Basketball in Germany is on the rise.
                  For decades the second most popular teamsport behind German Football leagues (1. & 2. Bundesliga) was Handball.
                  Now, this has changed.

2012/13:
                  DEL (Icehockey) - 91,9 Mil Euro Revenue (+7%)
                  BBL (Basketball) - 86,6 Mil Euro Revenue (+13%)
                  HBL (Handball) - 83,6 Mil Euro Revenue (-3%)

2011/12:
                  DEL (Icehockey) - 86,2 Mil Euro Revenue (+9%)
                  HBL (Handball) - 86,1 Mil Euro Revenue (+2%)
                  BBL (Basketball) - 76,9 Mil Euro Revenue (+25%)

If the trend can be contained the German Basketball League is going to become the No. 2 team sport in the season 2013/14....
                  Last edited by Dr_Cosmo; 12-28-2013, 07:38 PM.
                  Basketball Capital
                  ALBA Berlin@Wikipedia

Comment

Happy New Year to all Basketball friends !
                    Basketball Capital
                    ALBA Berlin@Wikipedia

Comment

Working...
                    X

Debug Information