Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 36

Thread: what is your holiday destination?

  1. #1
    Senior Member adebisi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Baltupiai
    Posts
    914
    Country: Lithuania

    Default what is your holiday destination?

    I am a student of tourism managment, so I am very curiuos about your holiday destination. Not only your, but all your countrys.

    As for Lithuania, the most popular holiday destinations are:
    Turkey (good climate, very cheap (you can get a ticket for 7 days, 3 stars hotel with breakfast, and some excursions for less then 200 euros)).
    Egypt (pyramids, diving, also quite cheap).
    Palanga (resort in Lithuania, in sea side, we call it summer capital. Last weekend we had 4 free days and the weather was just fantastic, so almost all country was going to seaside and according to news paper, more then milion spent the weakend in seaside, from photos it looked quite funny, like anthill )
    Croatia (nice seaside, quite cheap, very popular to go with your own car)

    As for me myself, the best holiday destination is Portugal, Algarve region. It is quite expensive, but beaches are gorgeuos, and nightlife is exciting.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Juan Carlos Nadal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    4,448
    Country: United States

    Default

    I have been to most of Europe and it is hard for me to choose the ideal holiday destination amongst the places I've been. Anywhere with not too many British tourists would be fine for me. Therefore, the Algarve, the south of Spain, Ibiza, Faliraki, Aya Napa etc are out of the question.

    Eastern Europe is the place to be in the summer I think. Ljubljana, Dubrovnik, Prague (it gets too crowded lately though), Budapest, Vilnius, Riga, Tallinn etc.

    My 2 whole days of vacations this year were spent in Vilnius. It was great stuff, I would go there again easily. Last year, it was the Orkney's (not your typical summer holiday, I know) where I met possibly the friendliest people on the face of the earth. Then I went through a trans-euopean trip visiting 10 countries all of which had good and bad qualities. The year before that it was Madrid. Boiling hot of course, lots of trees but what you really need there in the summer is some body of water to cool off your sizzling skin.

    I would like to go to some greek island someday, they are quite different from one another, it would be good fun to explore them.
    The Euroleague Organization and Mr Bertomeu are like the Bulgarian Government: corrupt, partially stupid, and a huge underestimator of people's intelligence.

  3. #3
    Senior Member CHINA TEAM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    CHINA
    Posts
    734

    Default

    Nice~It Look like the country area small has the advantage very much, you from your country to other country to vacation extremely convenient, is just like is same in China from a city to other city, moreover spends quite are also few.
    I am also a student ,In china,most people often to Famous traveling place to vacation...Of corrose,in china...

    I,often play basketball with my friends everyday(there are many playground in my living city) on holiday,And to fish with my friends Some times......fishing is my One of biggest hobbies,I start to study fish from 6 years old~
    Last edited by CHINA TEAM; 07-16-2006 at 11:24 AM.
    Go~Air YI,Aaia is not enough space for you!~
    ]

  4. #4
    Senior Member Trifilli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Frankfurt/Germany
    Posts
    3,730

    Default

    I won't have holidays this year. Well, actually I'll have 10 days in October but I'll spend all of those in Athens and one can't really call that holidays

    Been to a lot of places in Europe before as well but the perfect place for me for vacations is Lesvos/Mytilini in Greece. Gotta say though that at the place where I'm staying usually on that island there's like no nightlife at all - my life here is hectic enough and there's also enough nightlife in Frankfurt I prefer spending my holidays at a quiet place with a nice beach and great fish taverns where you can get fresh fish along with your Ouzo in the evening

  5. #5
    Administrator rikhardur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    21,175
    Country: Portugal

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by adebisi
    I am a student of tourism managment, so I am very curiuos about your holiday destination. Not only your, but all your countrys.

    As for Lithuania, the most popular holiday destinations are:
    Turkey (good climate, very cheap (you can get a ticket for 7 days, 3 stars hotel with breakfast, and some excursions for less then 200 euros)).
    Egypt (pyramids, diving, also quite cheap).
    Palanga (resort in Lithuania, in sea side, we call it summer capital. Last weekend we had 4 free days and the weather was just fantastic, so almost all country was going to seaside and according to news paper, more then milion spent the weakend in seaside, from photos it looked quite funny, like anthill )
    Croatia (nice seaside, quite cheap, very popular to go with your own car)

    As for me myself, the best holiday destination is Portugal, Algarve region. It is quite expensive, but beaches are gorgeuos, and nightlife is exciting.
    I usually go to the Algarve too, for a week or so, I'm not a such a great seaside fan. Yeah, the beaches are beautiful and the nightlife is exciting, but the Algarve is getting more and more spoiled with construccions and mass tourism. A pity

  6. #6
    Senior Member adebisi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Baltupiai
    Posts
    914
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rikhardur
    I usually go to the Algarve too, for a week or so, I'm not a such a great seaside fan. Yeah, the beaches are beautiful and the nightlife is exciting, but the Algarve is getting more and more spoiled with construccions and mass tourism. A pity
    Talking about mass tourism, nowadays it's almost imposible to find nice places in Europe which were not touched by the mass tourism hand. Maybe only Black sea region in Ukraine is still unchanged... Pitty for sure...

  7. #7
    Senior Member elaj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    out of space
    Posts
    5,714
    Country: Slovenia

    Default

    I guess I'll go to Croatia for a day or two... island Krk probably.

  8. #8

    Default

    this summer i don't have holidays only sundays are free and believe me it sucks and you don't want to do a damn thing on sundays after hard week's job. oh i will go to watch red sox this tuesday and that's the only bright thing i can find.
    and when i have holidays i like to go to lithuanian lakes with my friends where you take a lot of beer and vodka and drink till you are conscious.
    Last edited by Basketball GOD; 07-17-2006 at 12:38 AM.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Nemesis 11 (aka Sabas 11)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Brisbane Australia
    Posts
    241

    Default

    This is a timely topic for me. In about a week I'm off to Europe to see relatives. I'll be in Hungary mostly, but if I can get a car I might go down to Croatian coast. Everyone who's ever been there said only good things about it. Oh yeah I'll see Frankfurt too...I have uncle there. I heard Baltic is dangerous, carjacking and muggings. Is that true? Lithuanians? But I heard Estonia is favourite place for.....lady fun and the like!

  10. #10
    Senior Member adebisi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Baltupiai
    Posts
    914
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nemesis 11 (aka Sabas 11)
    I heard Baltic is dangerous, carjacking and muggings. Is that true? Lithuanians?
    I wouldn't say it is "dangerous", ofcourse there is always possability to be mugged or whatever, but i wouldn't called it is "dangerous". In Lithuania you can get good quality in cheap prices. Best beer in the world, beautiful girls, thousand of lakes, atractive capital's oldtown (one of the biggest in east Europe), friendly citizens (not all ofcourse ) and deep basketball traditions. Actualy tourists starting to like Lithuania and you can see it in the statistics.
    Last edited by adebisi; 07-17-2006 at 12:17 PM.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Nemesis 11 (aka Sabas 11)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Brisbane Australia
    Posts
    241

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by adebisi
    I wouldn't say it is "dangerous", ofcourse there is always possability to be mugged or whatever, but i wouldn't called it is "dangerouse". In Lithuania you can get good quality in cheap prices. Best beer in the world, beautiful girls, thousand of lakes, atractive capital's oldtown (one of the biggest in east Europe), friendly citizens (not all ofcourse ) and deep basketball traditions. Actualy tourists starting to like Lithuania and you can see it in the statistics.
    Hmmm...I definitely want to see Lithuania one day. I saw some ladies on Internet, they seem nice but they also try very hard man! They wear stuff that is way over the top! Image seems to be too much at focus.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Digdis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Tel Aviv
    Posts
    430

    Default

    Two weeks in Spain this summer. Can't wait...

    Quote Originally Posted by Nemesis 11 (aka Sabas 11)
    Hmmm...I definitely want to see Lithuania one day. I saw some ladies on Internet, they seem nice but they also try very hard man! They wear stuff that is way over the top! Image seems to be too much at focus.
    Same here as my wife was born there. Definitely a future target.
    I can also highly recommend of Georgia - Great views & atmosphere, not spoiled by massive tourism yet, but can well be the next Croatia.
    D.

  13. #13
    Senior Member SHARP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    155

    Default

    Next week i fly to Paris

  14. #14
    Administrator stuart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Bay Area, USA
    Posts
    5,271
    Country: United States

    Default

    Not sure where the holiday destinations for the US is, I would assume domestically the most popular vacation spots are New York City, California (San Francisco, LA, San Diego), Florida and Hawaii.

    Personally, I won't be able to go anywhere international this year (damn it), well maybe Vancouver, but next year planning on hitting Brazil and Argentina. And then in 2008, I hope to be in Beijing for the olympics and maybe Eastern Europe for a couple weeks.

    But again, nothing international this year. *sigh*

    Stuart
    Last edited by stuart; 07-28-2006 at 11:22 PM.

  15. #15
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Ljubljana
    Posts
    12,734
    Country: Slovenia

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elaj
    I guess I'll go to Croatia for a day or two... island Krk probably.
    I've been there last week... choosed it in front of Pag island and made a mistake. Krk is tottally occupied by folks from Rijeka, while Pag is tottally occupied by Ljubljana... well I won't have any free days anymore, so I guess going to seaside might only be an option for a weekend or so...

  16. #16
    Senior Member Juan Carlos Nadal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    4,448
    Country: United States

    Default

    I booked 3 flights within 24 hours the other day, surely a new personal record.

    1) Going to Belfast, Northern Ireland, for a couple of days in August (for some kind of bussiness I have to do there: No, it's not a dodgy bussiness. Not all bussiness by Bulgarians are dodgy you know) so I thought I could combine it with some sightseeing and stuff. Booked a reasonably priced Bed&Breakfast near the area I have to be. Didn't bother to read any reviews about the place before I booked. I only did so afterwards. Look what I found:
    "Beware this Terrible Trap"
    "...certainly the worst lodging we have experienced in a UK B&B."
    "This place is like a flophouse"


    Great, I bet it's also at the border of a catholic and a protestant naighbourhood, with all the fun that comes with it....

    2) Going to Sofia in September. Too busy to go there in the summer, I would have to settle with a September visit. It's only for a week or so but I will sqeeze in some days over the border at some Halkidiki beach and on the way back spend some time in Blagoevgrad.

    3) Altanta, GA, in October. Going there for a conference. Not really looking forward to it, I am going to be busy as hell at the time. Unfortunately NBA doesn't start until November so I won't be able to watch a Hawks' game. Come to think of it, maybe that's not such a bad thing after all...
    And no stinky Bed&Breakfasts this time. Booked a room at Hilton
    The Euroleague Organization and Mr Bertomeu are like the Bulgarian Government: corrupt, partially stupid, and a huge underestimator of people's intelligence.

  17. #17

    Default greece

    lefkas has the very best beaches in greece(take a look http://www.thalassa.gr/ ) and i like it a lot but i prefer corfu(kerkira),santorini,amorgos,symi,rhodes,thaso s,kalymnos,chalkidiki oh and pylos.
    these are terrific places for holidays.i ve been in paris well ok eifel is fantastic but to be honest the city didnt impress me.i prefer small more picturesque towns like corfu .florence is lovely of course(i think it looks like corfu a lot)

    i love pilio also and nafplio xmmm what else let me think, of course! my town thessaloniki

    ys:i am looking forward to go to mount athos (but this is not of course a tourist destination

  18. #18
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6

    Default

    My next trip is London.

  19. #19
    Senior Member donmar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Ōtautahi, Aotearoa
    Posts
    3,450
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Plan to visit my homeland (Philippines)... other than that... its the U.S., U.K., Spain and especially Greece....


  20. #20

    Default

    I just discovered this thread, very entertaining.

    I returned from a 1 month holiday in Paphos, Cyprus a week ago and it was great.

    Quote Originally Posted by Juan Carlos Nadal
    Anywhere with not too many British tourists would be fine for me. Therefore, the Algarve, the south of Spain, Ibiza, Faliraki, Aya Napa etc are out of the question.
    What's wrong with Brits? Scots would be offended...

    Quote Originally Posted by CHINA TEAM
    I,often play basketball with my friends everyday(there are many playground in my living city) on holiday,And to fish with my friends Some times......fishing is my One of biggest hobbies,I start to study fish from 6 years old~
    Another classic post, destination playground...

    Quote Originally Posted by Digdis
    I can also highly recommend of Georgia - Great views & atmosphere, not spoiled by massive tourism yet, but can well be the next Croatia.
    D.
    Been there and I couldn't agree more. Where did you go? Tbilisi or Black Sea, like Sochumi?
    Last edited by ArkadiosV2; 01-25-2008 at 06:55 AM.

    Quote Originally Posted by parso View Post
    Gomelsky doesn't know @@@@ about basketball
    Quote Originally Posted by sseppel View Post
    it's not asking too much for someone to know where the fuck he is.
    Quote Originally Posted by UMUT_FB_LAL View Post
    Scola makes me wanna touch myself, no homo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •