FIBA Europe Young Player of the Year 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by madmax View Post
    so he plays a different position and style...big deal.
    Mirotic also can't finish as well as Jonas at the rim, block shots, rebound and protect the paint too. It's nonsensical to compare players who are doing different things on court.
    It was just a wrong statement, that Mirotic is so good because of a real pg, that's why i wrote it. Yes, it's not worth comparing them because of a different style, but it's possible to compare how they can score playing 1 vs 1 without any assists help and how they are doing on the court overall.

If i were an owner or a coach of a team and i could choose one of all these players in the list, i would choose Mirotic without any doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamcatcher View Post
      It was just a wrong statement, that Mirotic is so good because of a real pg, that's why i wrote it. Yes, it's not worth comparing them because of a different style, but it's possible to compare how they can score playing 1 vs 1 without any assists help and how they are doing on the court overall.

If i were an owner or a coach of a team and i could choose one of all these players in the list, i would choose Mirotic without any doubt.
      Mirotic benefits from Real's quality PG play too. And I never questioned his scoring abilities, but he isn't athletic and his playing style is more suited to european half-court sets. I could make a very legit case that Jonas would look much better in NBA than Mirotic too...anyway, this discussion is pointless, since both guys are in different situations on their teams and Jonas is clearly underused by Rytas as of now.

Comment

Originally posted by Visseira View Post
        Mirotic is already a key player in a top club like Real Madrid. Since Ibaka and Rudy left he had no problem taking the leading role in the team. Such boldness is not usual for a 20 year old guy. Clear-cut choice to me.
        exactly....being best player on one of top euro teams is worth twice then all junior games performaces....not that his "U" games sucked either
        Jordi Bertomeu sucks!

Comment

Nikola Mirotic without doubt.Jonas Valanciunas is a joke,Mirotic is already a beast.

Comment

Mirotic with an important role:

vs. Maccabi - 26 points and 8 rebounds, 33 ranking
            vs. Estudiantes - 11 points and 14 rebounds, 20 ranking
            vs. Partizan - 21 points and 8 rebounds, 30 ranking
            vs. Manresa - 20 points and 7 rebounds, 21 ranking

Averages: 19.5 points and 9.25 rebounds, 26 ranking
            Bronze Medal - IBN 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Prediction Game

Comment

Mirotić named Euroleague December MVP
              Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
              Artificial Nature

Comment

Valanciunas, Young Men’s Player Of 2011

FIBA Europe announced on Monday that Jonas Valanciunas of Lithuania is the Young Men's Player of the Year for 2011.

Valanciunas was the winner of the expert panel vote* ahead of the U20 European Championship MVP Nikola Mirotic of Spain and came in second in the public vote.

The Lithuanian international propelled the Baltic nation to the top of the podium at the FIBA U19 World Championship in July by leading the tournament in points and rebounds.

Fresh off being selected by the Toronto Raptors with the fifth overall pick in the NBA Draft, the 2.10m center turned heads with his stratospheric performances since the very first game of the tournament.

Valanciunas, who averaged a double-double with 23 points and 13.9 rebounds per game, saved the best for last.

He exploded in the final against Serbia with 36 points, eight rebounds, three assists and three blocked shots, to secure the gold medal for his team and earn MVP honours almost unanimously.

In August, the 20-year-old joined the senior national team at EuroBasket 2011.

His collaboration with veteran point guard Sarunas Jasikevicius provided some of the best pick'n'roll plays in the history of the EuroBasket and the host nation fans with some of their warmest memories of the tournament.

Valanciunas had already shown he could compete as equal against senior players earlier in the year, at club level.

He featured in 16 games in his maiden Turkish Airlines EuroLeague season with Lietuvos Rytas and had 7.7 points and 5.8 rebounds per contest.

"Jonas is so quick, he is so agile, he is so skilled that sometimes I forget how tall he is," said FIBA Europe President Olafur Rafnsson.

"He stands out from other players his age and if one considers what a hugely gifted generation we are talking about, this is an incredible feat," Mr Rafnsson added.

"A lot of people compare Valanciunas to Sabonis, but he has his own distinct style," said FIBA Europe Secretary General Nar Zanolin.

"What he does have in common with Arvydas is the potential to develop into a big man who dominates the game at both ends of the floor, just like the Lithuanian legend did," Mr Zanolin concluded.
                Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
                Artificial Nature

Comment

Jonas advantage compared with Nikola - he played in Eurobasket2011 and looked solidly.
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X

Debug Information