Russia NT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russia NT

Here's the list of 19 players who are currently preparing for EC2007 qualification tournament:

C: Savrasenko, Likholitov, Dmitri Sokolov
    PF: Khryapa, Morgunov, Nikita Shabalkin,
    SF: Monia, Korolev, Fedor Dmitriev, Vladimir Dyachok
    SG: Padius, Andrei Ivanov, Sergei Bykov, Yegor Vyaltsev, Vitali Fridzon
    PG: Holden, Samoilenko, Anton Ponkrashov, Vadim Panin

Head coach: David Blatt

Kirilenko would come for the WC, but he's not really needed for this tournament, so he'll have a rest and work on his shot this midseason.

There's an interview with NT's GM Sergei Tarakanov in Sport-Express. He said that Holden is still in US and will be ready to join the team only in the end of August. In the next few days the final decision will be made on whether he's out.

Tarakanov said they are still in doubt because there's a problem with PG's on this team. Personally I don't think Holden would solve it anyway -- Messina used him as SG all season and that's one of the reason of CSKA's success. Holden is useful as a scorer and defender when he knows his role, but you don't want the ball in his hands much on offense.

All the older guys weren't called, with the exception of Morgunov, who is 31. Samoilenko is 29, Savrasenko is 27, but overall it's the youngsters who will play. The idea is to get ready for EC2007 with Olympics being the primary goal.

well - i'm not too fimiliar with all of the players...
    anyway - i realy like what i saw from samoilenko in the playoffs. i guess fridzon will see some limited minutes at point as well.
    i was somewhat dissapointed that petrenko was left out but it sounds a bit tragic know to talk about.
    i won't be surprise if blat will use some special line-ups, something like, playing monia at 4 with padius as 3 and 2 more guards or even playing khryapa as center.
    anyway man - i'd be curious to hear about developments in the team.

Comment

With such a bad PG line, I m excited about Alexey Shved's invitation. I just hope that he just sees some PT in the CSKA senior team next season.
      Sexuality when one reaches their 30s is either mainstream or sick, but no matter what, it isn't pure

Comment

I'll be updating this page on who's getting cut or when there's something interesting said or done.

The players that you're not familiar with are youngsters who play on second-tier teams. Ponkrashov, Fridzon, Vyaltsev, Shabalkin and Sokolov were on the U20 team last year, that's where I've seen them play the most.

Fridzon can't play the point, no. =) Not that good of a ballhandler and doesn't create much on offense. Kind of got lost behind Khimki's imports.. Of the SG's listed here Vyaltsev may see some minutes at the point. He played crazy at U20, but in Ural-Great he had some games with a lot of assists and he's more mature now.

I liked how Samoilenko was pushing the team forward in the playoffs too, but he's not really on European level anyway and we need someone else. Ponkrashov is the best passer on this team, but he's too young and has yet to find his game on offense.

Dmitriev can play both 3 and 4, he was great after Spartak-SPb got rid of all its expensive players. Morgunov -- 4-5, Khryapa -- 3-4, Monya -- 2-3 and so on. Korolev was tried as point guard at Clippers practices, played PF at U18 team last summer. Most everyone can play a couple different positions, which gives Blatt lots of flexibility, true.
        I'll do player descriptions when they are closer to the final roster.

Comment

wardjdim, Shved wasn't invited to the senior national team.. And no, he won't get any PT in CSKA next season. I think even Ponkrashov won't, being 6-7, older, stronger and more experienced. Barring injury, Vanterpool and Papaloukas will keep on sharing the PG duties.

Zavoruev will be lent to some other team, as it was officially announced, and I think Ponkrashov will follow. CSKA is a team of 30-year-old veterans, there's no place for youngsters.

Comment

i missed the word ''future'' or ''potential'' before writing ''invitation''.
            Sexuality when one reaches their 30s is either mainstream or sick, but no matter what, it isn't pure

Comment

Originally posted by wardjdim
              i missed the word ''future'' or ''potential'' before writing ''invitation''.
              =) Oh yeah, in 3--5 years he'll be there!

Comment

Panin, Dmitriev and Sokolov were cut. With Holden still out, and probably for good, the roster is shortened to 15 players.

Comment

If they want to have any chance to win some games the team should be,

C: Morgunov 6'11, Savrasenko, 7'1, Sokolov 7'0, kauraulov 7'1
                  PF: kirilenko 6'9, likholitov 6'11, shabalkin
                  Sf: Khryapa 6'9, Dyachok, Monia 6'8, Korolev 6'9
                  SG: zouryev 6'7 , fridzon, Andrei Ivanov,
                  PG: Ponkrashov 6'6, Samoilenko, some vet here.

Comment

fripp_moe, are you still with us?
                    how would you sum up the tournment (obviously i'm espcialy interested in coach blatt and the press and fans reaction to his style - but i'd like to hear you thought on the nt itself as well)?

Comment

2008 Russia NT

Originally posted by parso
                      Gomelsky doesn't know @@@@ about basketball
                      Originally posted by sseppel
                      it's not asking too much for someone to know where the fuck he is.
                      Originally posted by UMUT_FB_LAL
                      Scola makes me wanna touch myself, no homo

Comment

i'm already waiting for revenge
                        LTU NT will snatch Eurobasket 2029 title with this roster:

Jokubaitis, Marciulionis, Laurencikas
                        Indrusaitis, Brazdeikis, Rubstavicius
                        Buzelis, Lelevicius
                        Murauskas, Sirvydis
                        Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

And Savrasenko is the only true centre in the team. Morgunov can fill that role, but what other players can fill the spot?
                          Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
                          Artificial Nature

Comment

morgunov isnt bad, but a team cant relay all his inside game in a player like him.

I remember in some moments of the EC, Russia playing with 3 small, Kirilenko and as a center... Krhyapa.
                            But it is not a realistic solution.
                            Last edited by Neozyrus; 01-17-2008, 01:29 PM.
                            I KISS BASKET

Comment

Liholitov and Sokolov were as options before Eurobaaket.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information