Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Russia NT

Default Russian NT-2006

Here's the list of 19 players who are currently preparing for EC2007 qualification tournament:

C: Savrasenko, Likholitov, Dmitri Sokolov
    PF: Khryapa, Morgunov, Nikita Shabalkin,
    SF: Monia, Korolev, Fedor Dmitriev, Vladimir Dyachok
    SG: Padius, Andrei Ivanov, Sergei Bykov, Yegor Vyaltsev, Vitali Fridzon
    PG: Holden, Samoilenko, Anton Ponkrashov, Vadim Panin

Head coach: David Blatt

Kirilenko would come for the WC, but he's not really needed for this tournament, so he'll have a rest and work on his shot this midseason.

There's an interview with NT's GM Sergei Tarakanov in Sport-Express. He said that Holden is still in US and will be ready to join the team only in the end of August. In the next few days the final decision will be made on whether he's out.

Tarakanov said they are still in doubt because there's a problem with PG's on this team. Personally I don't think Holden would solve it anyway -- Messina used him as SG all season and that's one of the reason of CSKA's success. Holden is useful as a scorer and defender when he knows his role, but you don't want the ball in his hands much on offense.

All the older guys weren't called, with the exception of Morgunov, who is 31. Samoilenko is 29, Savrasenko is 27, but overall it's the youngsters who will play. The idea is to get ready for EC2007 with Olympics being the primary goal.
    Last edited by Fripp_Moe; 07-25-2006 at 04:04 PM.

well - i'm not too fimiliar with all of the players...
    anyway - i realy like what i saw from samoilenko in the playoffs. i guess fridzon will see some limited minutes at point as well.
    i was somewhat dissapointed that petrenko was left out but it sounds a bit tragic know to talk about.
    i won't be surprise if blat will use some special line-ups, something like, playing monia at 4 with padius as 3 and 2 more guards or even playing khryapa as center.
    anyway man - i'd be curious to hear about developments in the team.

With such a bad PG line, I m excited about Alexey Shved's invitation. I just hope that he just sees some PT in the CSKA senior team next season.

I'll be updating this page on who's getting cut or when there's something interesting said or done.

The players that you're not familiar with are youngsters who play on second-tier teams. Ponkrashov, Fridzon, Vyaltsev, Shabalkin and Sokolov were on the U20 team last year, that's where I've seen them play the most.

Fridzon can't play the point, no. =) Not that good of a ballhandler and doesn't create much on offense. Kind of got lost behind Khimki's imports.. Of the SG's listed here Vyaltsev may see some minutes at the point. He played crazy at U20, but in Ural-Great he had some games with a lot of assists and he's more mature now.

I liked how Samoilenko was pushing the team forward in the playoffs too, but he's not really on European level anyway and we need someone else. Ponkrashov is the best passer on this team, but he's too young and has yet to find his game on offense.

Dmitriev can play both 3 and 4, he was great after Spartak-SPb got rid of all its expensive players. Morgunov -- 4-5, Khryapa -- 3-4, Monya -- 2-3 and so on. Korolev was tried as point guard at Clippers practices, played PF at U18 team last summer. Most everyone can play a couple different positions, which gives Blatt lots of flexibility, true.
    I'll do player descriptions when they are closer to the final roster.

wardjdim, Shved wasn't invited to the senior national team.. And no, he won't get any PT in CSKA next season. I think even Ponkrashov won't, being 6-7, older, stronger and more experienced. Barring injury, Vanterpool and Papaloukas will keep on sharing the PG duties.

Zavoruev will be lent to some other team, as it was officially announced, and I think Ponkrashov will follow. CSKA is a team of 30-year-old veterans, there's no place for youngsters.

i missed the word ''future'' or ''potential'' before writing ''invitation''.

Quote Originally Posted by wardjdim
    i missed the word ''future'' or ''potential'' before writing ''invitation''.
    =) Oh yeah, in 3--5 years he'll be there!

Panin, Dmitriev and Sokolov were cut. With Holden still out, and probably for good, the roster is shortened to 15 players.

If they want to have any chance to win some games the team should be,

C: Morgunov 6'11, Savrasenko, 7'1, Sokolov 7'0, kauraulov 7'1
    PF: kirilenko 6'9, likholitov 6'11, shabalkin
    Sf: Khryapa 6'9, Dyachok, Monia 6'8, Korolev 6'9
    SG: zouryev 6'7 , fridzon, Andrei Ivanov,
    PG: Ponkrashov 6'6, Samoilenko, some vet here.

fripp_moe, are you still with us?
    how would you sum up the tournment (obviously i'm espcialy interested in coach blatt and the press and fans reaction to his style - but i'd like to hear you thought on the nt itself as well)?

Default 2008 Russia NT

Last edited by ArkadiosV2; 06-02-2010 at 08:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by parso View Post
    Gomelsky doesn't know @@@@ about basketball
    Quote Originally Posted by sseppel View Post
    it's not asking too much for someone to know where the fuck he is.
    Quote Originally Posted by UMUT_FB_LAL View Post
    Scola makes me wanna touch myself, no homo

i'm already waiting for revenge
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank View Post
    Marciulionis son will be bust like first Sabonis son

And Savrasenko is the only true centre in the team. Morgunov can fill that role, but what other players can fill the spot?
    Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
    Artificial Nature

morgunov isnt bad, but a team cant relay all his inside game in a player like him.

I remember in some moments of the EC, Russia playing with 3 small, Kirilenko and as a center... Krhyapa.
    But it is not a realistic solution.
    Last edited by Neozyrus; 01-17-2008 at 01:29 PM.
    I KISS BASKET

Liholitov and Sokolov were as options before Eurobaaket.

Imo Morgunov as a C or as a PF, is a really good complement, but as that definition says, he needs somebody really good at his side, so that player would have the deffense attention in many plays and Morgunov could act as the "surprise man".
    I saw him playing like that in the EC and in some moments with Khimky.

As it was said Before right now some possible optionse could be Bashminov, Likholitov maybe Trushkin....
    Last edited by Neozyrus; 01-17-2008 at 06:08 PM.
    I KISS BASKET

Quote Originally Posted by Neozyrus
    Bashminov
    Nice recall, I think he could be a pretty good option. He was with the NT already some years ago, he's experienced and I really have a positive opinion about him. Actually, he should have been called much more times.
    Artificial Nature

Quote Originally Posted by ArkadiosV2
    Savrasenko will be operated in Germany next Wednesday and is expected to sit out for 5-6 months.

According to him, he might miss the Olympics...
    That be a shame; back at the 2007 Euro Semi-finals, right at the start Savrasenko tore up Javkotas, scored the 1st 8 points of the game and helped Russia into an incredible upset of Lithuania.
    If Russia is in need of a strong or muscular center, why can't they naturalize someone from the former Soviet republic? I mean after all JR HOLDEN does'nt look Russian and he's playing for them.
    I heard something that NBA journeyman, Jake Tsakalidis, was born in Russia(allthough got Greek nationality), or even L Papdopoulos was born there(just in case the Greek NT decides to dump him for the swifter Kostas!) Or if the Lithuanians think that Illkaukas is a traitor and don't want him, then heck!, let him play for the Russian NT!.

The possibilities are endless!
    thats if you believe that JR HOLDEN is actually a Russian!

Quote Originally Posted by hotjam_2
    If Russia is in need of a strong or muscular center, why can't they naturalize someone from the former Soviet republic? I mean after all JR HOLDEN does'nt look Russian and he's playing for them.
    Well, an ethnic Georgian, Armenian, Turkmen, Kazakh, Kyrgyz, Tajik, Uzbek or Azerbaijani doesn't look Russian as well. Or even someone from Siberia, although Russian. Better not go that way

I heard something that NBA journeyman, Jake Tsakalidis, was born in Russia
    He was born in Georgia (and can possibly be a Pontic Greek).

Or if the Lithuanians think that Illkaukas is a traitor and don't want him, then heck!, let him play for the Russian NT!
    I don't think that's plausible
    Artificial Nature

That be a shame; back at the 2007 Euro Semi-finals, right at the start Savrasenko tore up Javkotas, scored the 1st 8 points of the game and helped Russia into an incredible upset of Lithuania.
    I heard something that NBA journeyman, Jake Tsakalidis, was born in Russia(allthough got Greek nationality), or even L Papdopoulos was born there(just in case the Greek NT decides to dump him for the swifter Kostas!) Or if the Lithuanians think that Illkaukas is a traitor and don't want him, then heck!, let him play for the Russian NT!.

The possibilities are endless!
    thats if you believe that JR HOLDEN is actually a Russian!
    You talk like a guy from USA government- "The possibilities are endless!", but only in Russia and USA, i guess
    Imho, with Savrasenko or without him Russia won't be able to compete with teams like USA, Argentina, Lithuania, Spain. I see Russia only in 5-8 places. Russia won Eurobasket and that's cool, cause winners are winners. But the time flows and if we would look critically, Lithuania was an obvious victim of Eurobasket competition system (6 wins in a row and no days off before quarterfinal and semifanal- what a present!, while Russia and Croatia was resting) and Spain in the final suffered from the pressure created by themselfs. More over, Russia won't be underdogs in olympics, they have big goals and the team will have a pressure this time. And we'll see what kind of genius is D. Blatt in olympics.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank View Post
    Marciulionis son will be bust like first Sabonis son

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast