4 66.67%
  • Tony Parker

0 0%
  • Duko Savanović

1 16.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FIBA Europe Player of the Year 2011

Default FIBA Europe Player of the Year 2011

Now that all the main competitions are pretty much over, there could be a discussion regarding who was the best European player of the year. A discussion, however, that can't have clear cut favorites, as no player managed to win a title both in club and in NT competitions, whenever the clubs were contending. For example, Navarro, the first option to win the award, didn't win the Euroleague. But Diamantidis, or Nowitzki, who won the NBA and Euroleague titles, either didn't play for their NT or didn't manage anything special

So, I reckon it will be an interesting year

The main candidates:

Juan Carlos Navarro (Won ACB, Supercopa and Copa del Rey with Barcelona, MVP of ACB Finals, MVP of Supercopa; Won Eurobasket with Spain, MVP of Eurobasket, Eurobasket 1st team; Euroleague Top8, Euroleague 1st Team)

Dimitris Diamantidis (Won Euroleague with Panathinaikos, Euroleague MVP, Euroleague 1st Team, Euroleague DPoY, Euroleague F4 MVP; Won A1, A1 MVP, A1 1st Team, A1 DPoY)

Dirk Nowitzki (Won NBA title with Dallas Mavericks, NBA Finals MVP, NBA 2nd Team)

Pau Gasol (Won Eurobasket with Spain, Eurobasket 1st Team)

Fernando San Emeterio (ACB MVP, ACB 1st Team, Euroleague 1st Team)

These are the first names that come to mind right now as the most dominant forces in European basketball
    Sexuality when one reaches their 30s is either mainstream or sick, but no matter what, it isn't pure

Nowitzki will win the award. His NBA year has been great, although at EB was exhausted and played below his ordinary level, overall I think his season is the best between all of these players.

Gasol had an average season. Played very good in Lithuania but was not the best player of his team. In the NBA did not play a good season. Bad performance in PO with Lakers

Navarro: good year. His performance was better in the NT than in Barcelona.

Diamantidis: great year in PAO but missed the eurobasket.

San Emeterio: Very good year with his club, but was the eleven player of the spanish team in this EB.

Nowitzki... DD would have chances only if he played in EB and led the NT to a medal.. I hardly doubt that FIBA would consider giving the award to a player who missed the main event of the year.

Considering the precedents, Papaloukas in 2006, Kirirlenko in 2007 and Teodosic last year, they seem to give a lot more credit to the national competitions than the NBA so maybe Navarro has a chance.

Anyway, the real award is the one that concedes "La Gazzetta dello sport" and that one is going to Dirk.

Dirk for reaching the highest achievement a basketball player can: The NBA title as the franchise player. His failure with the NT is a combination of his exhaustion and the average (at best) level of his teammates.

Diamantidis is second in my list for the most spectacular Euroleague season since Bodiroga's in 2002 and one of the most memorable of all time.

Navarro and Pau both finish third as their real challenge (Euroleague and NBA repeat respectively) has been a huge failure. Congrats for their awesome Eurobasket show, however Spain was playing alone in this tournament for obvious reasons.

San Eme's season deserves an honourable mention obviously, but he still has a long way to go to reach the very top of a list like the present one.

Quote Originally Posted by GL3 View Post
    Dirk for reaching the highest achievement a basketball player can: The NBA title as the franchise player. His failure with the NT is a combination of his exhaustion and the average (at best) level of his teammates.

Diamantidis is second in my list for the most spectacular Euroleague season since Bodiroga's in 2002 and one of the most memorable of all time.

Navarro and Pau both finish third as their real challenge (Euroleague and NBA repeat respectively) has been a huge failure. Congrats for their awesome Eurobasket show, however Spain was playing alone in this tournament for obvious reasons.

San Eme's season deserves an honourable mention obviously, but he still has a long way to go to reach the very top of a list like the present one.
    WTF
    BARA O MUERTE

Quote Originally Posted by Kwijibo View Post
    WTF
    Can I help you Amigo...?

Quote Originally Posted by GL3 View Post
    Can I help you Amigo...?
    I don't understand San M in the list... He didn't get any trophy with his team and with national team he was bench player
    BARA O MUERTE

I don't understand San M in the list... He didn't get any trophy with his team and with national team he was bench player
    Oh now I got you .

Well, you see as far as I know our friend Wardjdim has a thing for Baskonia so...Anyway, just like I said, San Eme had a great season but has a long way to go to be considered as a serious candidate for this distinction. The reasons are the ones you pointed out of course.

Quote Originally Posted by wardjdim View Post
    Now that all the main competitions are pretty much over, there could be a discussion regarding who was the best European player of the year.
    What is the criteria?
    because it really must be fucked up if Emeterio is included

Bo McCalebb? Euroleague Final Four, won Italian league, Italian Basketball Cup and Italian Basketball Supercup. Tournament's Top scorer at EuroBasket.

Bo McCalebb is not born in Europe

As for San Emeterio, he is included in the discussion, not because he plays in Caja Laboral, but because he had a very good season
    Sexuality when one reaches their 30s is either mainstream or sick, but no matter what, it isn't pure

Quote Originally Posted by wardjdim View Post
    Bo McCalebb is not born in Europe

As for San Emeterio, he is included in the discussion, not because he plays in Caja Laboral, but because he had a very good season
    Baskonia last season played 0 finals of 4 competitions
    BARA O MUERTE

Nowitzki and Navarro are the principal candidates. Both deserves this prize, but I'm sure Eurobasket will have more importance on voting.
    FIRE THE NEXT ONE!!!
    EŭroKorbo, the useless basketball blog in esperanto.

Baskonia last season played 0 finals of 4 competitions
    Ok, I got it. San Emeterio didn't have such a bright season My bad

Super seasons by all five, but this one goes to Dirk without a question

But if you don't consider the NBA a FIBA league, I would go with Navarro because he's had a great year both with his club and national team

Diamantidis had a better year at his club, but to win this award you have to have succes with your country internationally IMO
    THE NBA IS FAKE

For me:
    Navarro

Nowitzki

Diamantidis

Pau Gasol
    BARA O MUERTE

FIBA Europe made names public:

Nicolas Batum
    Dimitris Diamantidis
    Pau Gasol
    Marc Gasol
    Andrei Kirilenko
    Bo McCalebb
    Juan Carlos Navarro
    Dirk Nowitzki
    Tony Parker
    Duško Savanović

My picks were Nowitzki, Navarro and Parker.
    Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
    Artificial Nature

And the Euroscar from Gazzetta dello Sport goes to Dirk Nowitzki.
    Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
    Artificial Nature

SunOverHStreet

Quote Originally Posted by rikhardur View Post
    And the Euroscar from Gazzetta dello Sport goes to Dirk Nowitzki.
    Anything else would be a huge injustice to this great player... But, anything can happen in Europe, we're bullshit prone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast