Spain vs Yugoslavia hystorical game at Indianapolis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spain vs Yugoslavia hystorical game at Indianapolis

Indianapolis 2002: Group stage. Yugoslavia the reigning force in basketball those days vs Spain, a team called to dominate the future.

Final result: Yugoslavia 69-Spain 71. Gasol 25 points. At the end, Yugoslavia won the tournament, Spain were eliminated by Germany, they were very young to win yet, but they showed signs of their future domination.

I think this game is very important in the history of the european basketball,although was not very important in the developing of the tournament, it was two giant clash. The past vs the future. A classic game to me.
    Last edited by Point_Guard; 09-19-2011, 06:51 PM.

Do you have link to download?

Comment

I was only in grade 5 when i watched this game it is a very exciting game
      im betting for spain that time bcoz of PAU GASOL.
      sigpicNEVER SAY DIE PILIPINAS!

Comment

Originally posted by alejandro View Post
        Do you have link to download?
        No, it´s difficult to find. Some facts about this classic game:

This game changed a lot of things. It was the first time Spain defeated Yugoslavia in many years (I think the last time was semifinal of the 1984 olympic tournament).

Before that game, Gasol said "To me it´s very important to win Yugoslavia, it´s a goal" And Divac answered "Gasol and Spain will never be able to win us, even with eleven players like him"

Comment

Remember that one...Spain was exellent the whole game, we strugled a lot. Than White Magic Bodiroga started playing and we gained initiative, started closing on Spain's lead, but Bodiroga eventualy missed last atack....he didn't missed many as such, but that one didn't went in.
          It was a start of a years long loosing streak whick lasted until Poland 2 yrs ago.

Comment

Those were the days when Spain played very well (even dominated) the group stages, but disappointed in the elimination games. Two years later, at the Olympics, Spain also won Argentina (gold medal) at the group stage. And Italy (silver medal).

I'm not sure that game was that meaningful. More symbolic than anything else IMO. To me, the crucial game in this story was the 2006 semifinal against Argentina. That was headed to become another disappointed in a elimination game, but the impact of Sergio Rodríguez and the missed shot by Nocioni changed the fate and the mental set of the team.

Comment

Originally posted by Genjuro View Post

I'm not sure that game was that meaningful. More symbolic than anything else IMO.
              Yes it was more symbolic than anything else. But very important, because Spain defeated Yugoslavia for the first time in many years, I think the last time that happened was 18 years before Indianapolis 2002.

I think it was very important at psycological level too. With that victory spain knew they were good enough to defeat any powerhouse nation in the future. And Yugoslavia knew that a young team but very tallented had arrived, called to be their heir in europe.

Comment

Originally posted by Point_Guard View Post
                Yes it was more symbolic than anything else. But very important, because Spain defeated Yugoslavia for the first time in many years, I think the last time that happened was 18 years before Indianapolis 2002.

I think it was very important at psycological level too. With that victory spain knew they were good enough to defeat any powerhouse nation in the future. And Yugoslavia knew that a young team but very tallented had arrived, called to be their heir in europe.
                They might knew it, but they didn't. They lost against an inferior Germany later on that tournament, they were demolished the following year by Lithuania (who were not that better) in the EB final, they were very intimidated (and lost) against the USA in 2004 at the Olympics, and Germany closed the circle in 2005 with that over-the-buzzer basket by Nowitzki at the semifinals.

Since Yugoslavia's NT collapsed after 2002, to have the mental edge over them didn't have any practical impact for Spain in the following years.

Again, more symbolic than anything IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Genjuro View Post
                  They might knew it, but they didn't. They lost against an inferior Germany later on that tournament, they were demolished the following year by Lithuania (who were not that better) in the EB final, they were very intimidated (and lost) against the USA in 2004 at the Olympics, and Germany closed the circle in 2005 with that over-the-buzzer basket by Nowitzki at the semifinals.
                  They were very young and need some time (years) to develop, gain experience and reach their full potential. but time to time, this potential was showed in some games. To me the first time this full potential was noted by everybody was in this important game Vs Yugoslavia. Before, Spain was a good team in eurobasket 2001 but did not defeat any team of this level.(Russia in QF was not that good) In fact, in that tournament Yugoslavia defeated Spain in semifinals fair and square.

Of course it was only a victory plenty of symbolism without real impact in the final result of the tournament. But symbolism is important in sport too.
                  Last edited by Point_Guard; 09-19-2011, 04:53 PM.

Comment

That win vs Yugoslavia was really awesome, and gave us confident along the next games.....Perhaps, so much that was reflected in our loss to Germany

Everybody thought in Spain that the winning of that match was almost half way to the final...Until Nowitzki & friends stopped our dream (I remember like it was today, that match was about 2 A.M. and I recorded in my VCR and woke up about 4 A.M. to see the match before going to my job...Even losing it worth it)
                    After it, Spain played great and finished 5TH winning USA at their home

But definetily the match Vs. Yugoslavia was a step ahead that help this generation to realize the quality that was to become in the next years

Comment

Originally posted by Point_Guard View Post
                      No, it´s difficult to find. Some facts about this classic game:

This game changed a lot of things. It was the first time Spain defeated Yugoslavia in many years (I think the last time was semifinal of the 1984 olympic tournament).

Before that game, Gasol said "To me it´s very important to win Yugoslavia, it´s a goal" And Divac answered "Gasol and Spain will never be able to win us, even with eleven players like him"
                      Looks like Vlade backed up his words big time with 2 points, 2 rebounds, 2 assists and 5 fouls
                      THE NBA IS FAKE

Comment

Working...
                      X

Debug Information