Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All-Dissapointing team

Default All-Dissapointing team

Now with the tournament wraped up i am ready to hand out my awards for players who have dissapointed me the most for the duration of it. Here are some underachievers:

PG Ricky Rubio
    Rubio won another gold yet again, and you could make case that he played solid defense, through Diamantidis he ain`t. But still, 1.5 ppg average on 23% shooting and 1/15 from beyond the arc. The great euro hope is on a fast track to turn into big time bust. By the time he is 25 he may be out of national team with up and coming talent Spain has at PG position. I keep hearing Rubio`s game is more suited for the NBA. Didn`t know the cylinders were bigger overseas.

SG Milos Teodosic
    European player of the year? I love to watch Milos play, he has great flair and brilliant basketball mind. Still, the game is played on both ends of the court and Milos was the main reason Serbian defense kept falling apart. Whether it was pick and roll or isolation Milos`s opponent kept driving by him. And most of the time he didn`t even care. By the end of the tournament everyone on the team was fed up with his attitude. Did Duda gave him a too long leash and turned him into a rock star?

SF Marco Bellineli
    Personally it is so frustrating for me to watch a player who has all the tools to be great, but he just doesn`t care that much and is not playing game the right way. Belinelli is one of those players. He is quick with nice ballhandling and shooting skills. But somehow he always makes it hard on himself, either by fading away, forcing the shot early in the shot-clock or taking contested looks. His doesn`t play to win, but to show off.

PF Mirza Teletovic
    He played two good games and Bosnia won both of them. On the other 3 he didn`t show up. His attitude is bad and his shot-selection was like big "fuck you" to all of his teammates. You work hard for 24 seconds on the defensive end and 3 seconds later here is Mirza shooting contesed fadeaway 30-foot jumpshot. If Mirza was playing on a more serious team he would be yanked to the bench and never brought back into the game. He will pass the ball only when he doesn`t have another option. He is someone teammates don`t like to play with.

C Stanko Barac
    Vrankovic may have missused him and Croatia may not have Huertas who would make you look good in pick-roll game. Still, why Stanko didn`t get on the court was due to defense. His post-up defense consisted of standing behind the player and praying that he misses the shot. Playing like he was alergic to physical contact and something scary may happen he if put his hand on the opposing player. He came to live in 2nd half against Greece. Too little to late for 1.5 million Center.

The bench

Dontaye Draper - should actually be called Ontaye Raper since there is no D in his game. Also, can`t finish in the paint and his perimeter jumper is suspect.

Omar Cook - not because he didn`t make Montenegro offense work, but mostly because he looked like he doesn`t care, but needs to be here to keep enjoying the wealths of european passport.

Ersan Ilyasova - for living up to his reputation as big time talent and big time choker. Need proof? He made 13 of 14 FTs until the crucial game against Serbia, then he missed 4 of 8 and all his 7 shots outside of the paint.

Ender Arslan/Kerem Tunceri - for being so bad that Turkey federation was thinking about stealing McCaleeb from Macedonia in the middle of the tournament.

Nikola Pekovic - for being overweight, not playing defense and not being the beast he usually is.

Davis Bertans - he shot 17% from 3 and having already 0/11 3FG game earlier this summer infront of home crowd at U19 WC. Did i mention that he is a sharpshooter who got drafted based on his sweet stroke?

Teodosic/Rubio/Tunceri
    Cook/Guler
    Turkoglu/San Emeterio
    Ilyasova/Lavrinovic
    Pekovic/Lorbek/Pleiss

Yeah.
    Teodosic and Ricky are two, the MOST OVERRATED players in basketball history.

I just can't imagine the Minnesota's GM feeling watching Ricky playing last three years
    PPG: 6.5
    RPG: 3.2
    APG: 3.5
    SPG: 1.6
    2P%: 39.2%
    3P%: 22.4%

LMAO at NBA pick No. 5

He should not be in starting 5 of any Euroleague team.

Barac had just one game... vs Greece... in others he played just few minutes... and in game ag. Greece he was good.. nothing special but good... he should used him with Tomic together...

I wonder how terrible rubio is gonna be in nba I'm sorry for that kid, going there is such a stupid decision to humiliate himself.

Rubio is nba type of player, fast, who knows some defense and has passing skills. He is not second T.Parker - thats true, but im sure he will do ok.

No Slovenians?

I'd add Maljković as head coach to this team.

Quote Originally Posted by Illegal2k10 View Post
    Rubio is nba type of player, fast, who knows some defense and has passing skills. He is not second T.Parker - thats true, but im sure he will do ok.
    He's got no shooting abilities. He just can't shoot.
    He's physically - weak.

Quote Originally Posted by elaj View Post
    No Slovenians?

Like Avdic said brick factory Slovenia lacked talent
    Jordi Bertomeu sucks!

No Slovenians?

Considering our players club status nobody actually underperformed. Maybe Lorbek, but even before the tournament started, he clearly was not in a super star form like in Poland. And our result was, therefore, also expected (that is top 8)...

Sorry, but any discussion around Teodosic and disappointment or "overrated" is not worth to be continued. The guy played the two most important matches of the tournament without a single other player able to help him on the backcourt. He got to play way too much and lost his effectiveness

How is this a disappointment?

By the way, a 12-9-9 performance in the 1st round as well as many games of beautiful basketball and true leadership are not doubting his skills. Unfortunately for Serbia, the timing of their injuries and FIBA's stupidity (12 instead of 14 players or a knock out match 16 hrs after the previous one) limited their chances of contention. This can't be a reason to target the team's leader for that

Same goes for Barac, of course. The worst coach of the tournament (sorry, but there are no other words to describe Vrankovic's incapability as a coach to take advantage of his country's great talent in a very easy group, where they could dominate) used him in the 2nd half against Greece and Barac almost won the game for him. What else was he supposed to do when he was that mistreated?

Draper was fine. Very good all-around game

Disappointments were: Rubio, Diaw maybe, Ponkrashov (last Eurobasket he was amazing), Turkoglu, Tunceri, Ilyasova (all three of them), Ksistof Lavrinovic (but Kemzura even more..), Vasiliadis from Greece, Papanikolaou, Keselj (besides 2 matches), Macvan (not as much numbers-wise, but more the way he was looking on the court), Goran Dragic in the 1st and 2nd round, Jaka Lakovic (but both Slovenian guards didn't have bad averages), Belinelli, but only for the ones who (for some reason) thought he could play better, Pekovic of course, Marko Tomas before the injury, maybe even Zoric..
    Last edited by wardjdim; 09-19-2011 at 01:59 PM.
    Sexuality when one reaches their 30s is either mainstream or sick, but no matter what, it isn't pure

Gallinari had physical issues since 2nd half of the first game against Serbia but disappointed a lot of us italians... Belinelli did way worse but also Danilo deserves a mention in this topic.

All disapointing team for me

"Bricky" Rubio
    San Emeterio
    Victor Claver
    Pau Gasoft
    Felipe Reyes ( he is done )

Coach: Scariolo

They suck and win the gold medal

Quote Originally Posted by yessuz View Post
    Yeah.
    Teodosic and Ricky are two, the MOST OVERRATED players in basketball history.

I just can't imagine the Minnesota's GM feeling watching Ricky playing last three years
    PPG: 6.5
    RPG: 3.2
    APG: 3.5
    SPG: 1.6
    2P%: 39.2%
    3P%: 22.4%

LMAO at NBA pick No. 5

He should not be in starting 5 of any Euroleague team.
    Teo is definitely not overrated.

Quote Originally Posted by yessuz View Post
    He's got no shooting abilities. He just can't shoot.
    He's physically - weak.
    But he's TALL for the PG position!
    Not only does God play dice, but sometimes he throws the dice where we can’t see them.

PG Popović, Draper, Stipčević
    SG Bogdanović, Simon
    SF Tomas, Rudež
    PF Markota, Andrić
    C Tomić, Barać, Žorić

coach: Josip Vranković
    "Heja, heja Cibosi, hrabri kao vukovi,

heja, heja cibosi, vodite nas k pobjedi. "

Quote Originally Posted by cesnakas View Post
    Teo is definitely not overrated.

Good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Illegal2k10 View Post
    The scouts and experts over here have changed their tune about Rubio, now most of them are saying that "his development has stalled" (obvious) and that they don't expect him to be a huge part of the Timberwolves right now.

I agree that his skill set does fit in the NBA better than in Euroleague but every good point guard in the NBA can do one or two of the following:
    1) shoot a good % from 20' to 3 pt line
    2) slice to the basket and be able to finish above or around big men

I can't think of a single good point guard in the last 10 years that wasn't able to do at least one of those things and right now Rubio can't do either. He's going to struggle, no doubt.

Ricky Rubio should have played in the NBA when he was 19 yrs.old. It seems like he had officially regressed as a basketball player.

He needs to learn how to shoot if he wants to survive playing in the NBA, and staying with his national team. I really don't understand why they compared him to Nash and Maravich those guys were terrific shooters and scorers.
    Last edited by Lebron23; 09-19-2011 at 04:58 PM.

No Slovenians?

Orhun Ene is much more appropriate for the coach position
    The Lighthouse in the Darkest Seas

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast