65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Spain

40 61.54%
  • France

25 38.46%
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: [Final] Game 90/A: Spain - France

Quote Originally Posted by Deschain View Post
    France making it to the final is a bigger surprise than Macedonia playing the bronze game.
    Along with Spain they are the deepest team in the tournament (and they're missing many players) and the most athletic. And they have a superstar. I don't see the surprise really.
    Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
    Artificial Nature

Quote Originally Posted by valdu0! View Post
    yeah of course a team with Parker, Noah, Batum, Diaw, DeColo....has no chance to get to the final. Are you kidding me or are you anti-french?
    Not much more chances on the paper than a team with Turkoglu, Ilyasova, Asik, Arslan, Kanter, etc...

There is no way to answer these kind of provocations by another kind of provocation, if ever it is a provocation.
    It's a bird? It's a plane? No, it's Rudy!

Quote Originally Posted by damelo View Post
    Here's what I wrote after the same kind of says in the France Russia thread:

Just watch the videos, they are interesting. I had the same feeling you have when I first saw Noah play with France.
    I ve seen that game, I watched Noah carefully. I didn't mean that he is useless or low class. He has technique and great athleticism. But (strangely) in the court he looks smaller than his 211 cm. I've never seen a game in which Noah dominated over a big and skilled center (and I've seen many games of France). Spaniards have a lot of this kind.

Quote Originally Posted by damelo View Post
    For the other part: Against Spain, France managed to remain in the game with 9 players, for 1 half. After, Traor and Sraphin were in foul trouble. But this time, they will not be needed to share 50 minutes on posts 5 and eventually 4. They will bring what they have been taken for, immediate impact. and they were able to limit the Gasols for one Half. Not so bad, considering the difference of level, theoretically. With a 3rd guy like that, the game could have been different. So, as usual, traor will bring his instant offense, and I hope Sraphin will have a few minutes to confirm that he is able to manage a Marc Gasol for at least 10 minutes.
    The offense is much better than it used to be. In this tournament, the 5 of the French team are scoring like never we saw in the past 10 years. Traor may now be better than Nancy idol Cyril Julian, who was the previous holder of this offensive center on little periods. Traor is most probably, like he was for years in the French Pro A, the most efficient scorer per minute in this championship. Sraphin proved very able to shoot from the high post, or from 4 meters generally, even if correctly defended. Noah is not bringing so much offensively, but his activity have him scoring a bit, getting a pair of free throws at least every game in few opportunities to score.
    Sure, the main threat is Parker. But he is not alone this time. You can not focus only on him.
    Batum and Gelabale will hopefully continue to take open 3s. France does not take many 3s, but chooses them carefully, they have no Navarro nor Rudy. they know many guys in this team can create for themselves a good 2 pointer. The high 3 % is only needed to open the spaces if the opponents make a zone. But is not a primary option.
    I wouldn't count the previous game against Spain too much for my analysis, for obvious reasons. I will insist that a good % of long range shoots (not only 3pointers) is the key to win this game.

Default I'm going to vote for France!!

FRANCE!! I believe they will win!

Quote Originally Posted by valdu0! View Post
    yeah of course a team with Parker, Noah, Batum, Diaw, DeColo....has no chance to get to the final. Are you kidding me or are you anti-french?

Only the bolded ones are above the average of this tournament.
    Noah, basically got bagged by every decent European center this year. Two things make people regard him as a better player than he is: His mimics and his catastrophic shooting style.
    Seriously, he's selling himself quite well.

And I do not have to be an anti-French to dislike, or let's say, to not appreciate France and what they have done this year.

France did "beat" an unlucky Savanovic, almost got beaten by a crappy Turkish squad, Eurocup level Greece and went over their heads against Russia (whom were there by the courtesy of Teodosic)

Every contender team except Spain, is significantly weaker compared to their previous displays. With Group E being not as strong as it was projected, France managed to get themselves to the QFs.

They basically had 5%ish chances among last year's Serbia, Turkey and Lithuania.

--

There's really no admirable basketball displayed by France.
    And I think it's a shame for European basketball to have them at this point. What they represent is unwillful NBA basketball which has no place here.

They're basically the only team I don't like in Europe.
    Filled with players whose capability is only to jump. (Except Parker and De Colo)

If your general attitude is to punch the reality in the face, then you shouldn't be surprised when Spain punches them right in the face.
    poof

The final looks like both teams are loaded with NBA players. I favor the Spain because they are deeper and play more smarter and because of their frontcourt but France can't negate that if they play a fast pace uptempo kinda game. Parker will blitz past any Spain defenders and if they try to pressure him 1:1 he will burn them. Pau Gasol has always trouble with Noah. I know Euro fans tend to think he's unstoppable against slow hopeless Euro big guys but watching a lot of Lakers game , Pau has always trouble with the likes of Noah , Chandler, Perkins KG. Guys who can body him up and are quick enough for any Pau killer spin move. The problem is Spain has the other Gasol and Ibaka will be a tough match up. I don't think Treore or Seraphin can score on these guys so i am pretty sure Spain will use them to trap Parker. Batum and De Colo will have to make their jumpshots for France and Noah gonna have to stay out of foul trouble . Spain will have to control the tempo, start the offense around Gasol and set screens for Navarro, trap Parker but stay on Batum and let others beat you.

Quote Originally Posted by rikhardur View Post
    Along with Spain they are the deepest team in the tournament (and they're missing many players) and the most athletic. And they have a superstar. I don't see the surprise really.
    I really doubt if we'll see anything by Kahudi, Tchicamboud, Albicy, Traore and even Pietrus in the final game.

I agree about the athleticism they pose but calling them that deep is a bit optimistic.

P.S: I don't want to be regarded as a "hater, provocateur, troll" which i'd have no profit by being one.
    I just want to believe that there's something left in basketball other than to dunk.
    poof

Quote Originally Posted by Adon View Post
    I ve seen that game, I watched Noah carefully. I didn't mean that he is useless or low class. He has technique and great athleticism. But (strangely) in the court he looks smaller than his 211 cm. I've never seen a game in which Noah dominated over a big and skilled center (and I've seen many games of France). Spaniards have a lot of this kind.

I wouldn't count the previous game against Spain too much for my analysis, for obvious reasons. I will insist that a good % of long range shoots (not only 3pointers) is the key to win this game.

Sorry to disappoint you but Noah will not dominate anyone. But his presence defensively and doing the small things that can make a big difference is his game.

Only the bolded ones are above the average of this tournament.
    Have you seen Batum playing during the tournament? Has any other NT a SF with his skills? Isn't he an above average player

There's really no admirable basketball displayed by France.
    And I think it's a shame for European basketball to have them at this point. What they represent is unwillful NBA basketball which has no place here.

They're basically the only team I don't like in Europe.
    Filled with players whose capability is only to jump. (Except Parker and De Colo)
    Shame for european basketball is having fans like you that only appreciate chess basketball, lay-ups and 3pointers and disrespect athletic basketball like the one played by France...

What did you mean with 'unwillful'?
    https://twitter.com/LuksKasabian

I really doubt if we'll see anything by Kahudi, Tchicamboud, Albicy, Traore and even Pietrus in the final game.

I agree about the athleticism they pose but calling them that deep is a bit optimistic.
    NBA basketball has been the most successful. USA gettin the bronze was a failure while Turkey would dream to get a Olympic medal in basketball.

Wink

I don't think France will win tomorrow. There's still a big gap with Spain. It's narrowing, but it's there. Against Russia, we had difficulties to be quick on 3pts shooters, and Spain has the most powerful weapons here. We might be punished

But maybe at the Olympics, France will have a stronger team, with hopefully Pietrus, Beaubois, Bokolo, Diot.

That should be a great game though, if France starts well and confident

Spain wins, though I expect it to be much closer than that pathetic display before. France has earned my respect, but I just don't think they're on Spain's level. An upset could still happen, but I wouldn't bet on it.
    Pistons: 2018-2019 In the middle of nowhere

Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

Quote Originally Posted by Luz for 3 View Post
    Have you seen Batum playing during the tournament? Has any other NT a SF with his skills? Isn't he an above average player

Shame for european basketball is having fans like you that only appreciate chess basketball, lay-ups and 3pointers and disrespect athletic basketball like the one played by France...

What did you mean with 'unwillful'?
    Batum can only dunk and shoot an open three. Features which are very valuable in NBA Live 2001.

I mean, they are easily resolved against an organized opponent because they are tactically and mentally inferior to that opponent. They can only stay that level as long as they can play their basketball.

Why are the coaches like Pesic, Messina, Obradovic, Ivkovic, Pianigiani, Repesa, Blatt, Kazlauskas, Gershon or even Scariolo regarded highly in Europe? What's the meaning of coaching if basketball means to dunk after a pass?

If I wanted to see dunks and ballhandling moves, I'd go and watch streetball, where there's no spark of intelligence.

Basketball is a team sport. What's the meaning of having useless peons to wait in the offence when they all could have a role in the offense?
    Last edited by Deschain; 09-17-2011 at 04:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    NBA basketball has been the most successful. USA gettin the bronze was a failure while Turkey would dream to get a Olympic medal in basketball.
    Basketball is most popular in US. (not the most popular sport in US) They have an established growth program and they have the 3rd most population on Earth as a country.

How can this suggest that raw talents and basketball brains are non existant in Europe? And how can this Dunk basketball attract them to play as they should?
    poof

Scariolo is the only one who can make France win.

Batum can only dunk and shoot an open three. Features which are very valuable in NBA Live 2001.
    Ok! Can you please name another SF, in Europe, better than Batum?

I mean, they are easily resolved against an organized opponent because they are tactically and mentally inferior to that opponent. They can only stay that level as long as they can play their basketball.
    Looks like they could play their basketball all tournament long since they reach the final and the basketball masterminds that you named failed to stop a bunch of dunkers and the high jumpers

Kirilenko

Looks like they could play their basketball all tournament long since they reach the final and the basketball masterminds that you named failed to stop a bunch of dunkers and the high jumpers
    Rudy, Hedo, Kirilenko, Khryapa, Monya, San Emeterio, (Omit the NBA'ers, if you want "in europe") and I can count more. And even more with players who can play at SF. -If we can determine betterness linearly.

I told how they reached the final.
    Having two good guards is enough for the final with the teams' current condition.

How many teams are in full strength this year? Spain had won the gold even before the tournament started

Turkey and Lithuania destroyed France last year when they only lacked Parker. France can't do that when the situation is reverse.

You know who else can dunk and shoot an open three?About ehm..every professional basketball player above let's say 1.90..Mike Bramos can dunk and can shoot an open three,same goes for let's say Cenk Akyol or Germany's Schweitelm..how come aren't these players starters in NBA and Batum is?In other words,i don't know what in the world you're talkin about.

Quote Originally Posted by Adon View Post
    Kirilenko
    I agree. But Kirilenko is an NBA style player. Athletic and quick, dunks the ball and blocks many shots, all the attributes Deschain doesn't like.

Rudy, Hedo, Kirilenko, Khryapa, Monya, San Emeterio, (Omit the NBA'ers, if you want "in europe") and I can count more. And even more with players who can play at SF. -If we can determine betterness linearly.
    Kirilenko yes. Hedo maybe (more experient). The others no way.

How many teams are in full strength this year? Spain had won the gold even before the tournament started

Turkey and Lithuania destroyed France last year when they only lacked Parker. France can't do that when the situation is reverse.
    The same old story, the absentees... Please, this EC brought almost every european player. Considering title contenders, NT's like Slovenia, Greece or Lithuania were the most affected with this issue. Turkey missed Erden, France missed Mahinmi or Turiaf...
    If Spain eventually win tomorrow the championship, it's not due to the others absentees, it's due to one of the best teams european basketball has ever seen...

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast