No announcement yet.

[Final] Game 90/A: Spain - France

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ballhandling, dunking at best, are the parts of the game. If focused on solely, that's a work of a stunt.
    e.g Teodosic, is a really ballhandler, and Rudy, as we know, is a terrific dunker. (I too remember how insane he was in Joventut, he was periodically getting called "helicopter")

But after "showing himself" he started to display his other skills too.
    Because in the eyes of many; basketball is dunk and run. He needed to show what makes him different, and progressed accordingly after that. Then he started to rot in Portland's bench.

I doubt the scenario would be same if Rudy and Batum were in the same team in Europe.

Batum is a 10 ppg player for Europe. He has the skills for that, and he has the enough spark to be given that role. I'm not denying that. But yes. He dunks and shoots. Let's say, Bramos' athleticism is 75, his is 90.
    But, the open shots and easy dunks you can get is limited.
    France would still be in the final with or without Batum.
    They display a great one and one defense, i admit that.

But, if he develops himself, adds different dimensions to his game, he too will sit on the Portland bench.
    Because what makes him himself is his athletic abilities. If he doesn't work to improve them, he'll start to loose his credibility. Which will make him a 15 ppg 4 apg europe player, but a bench warmer in NBA.

In NBA almost every player is a good one and one defender.
    Since there is a chasm between NBA's and Europe's overall athletic ability and strength, unathletic "kings" of Europe, suffocate in the pace, simplicity and strength of the game. (Spanoulis, Navarro, Saras, Rakocevic etc. )

Parker has started to play more efficiently in Europe since he developed his shot and passing ability.
    Otherwise he was merely a go to guy with superior ability to change to direction.

If you want to be an NBA player with the abilities "I like", you have to be oversized or have an extra ability which many in your position does not have.

E.g Hedo and Okur are regarded as untalented by many. Okur is (was) a precise shooter, a rebounder, a defender. He is a one time allstar. And he was only a tall guy at first. He improved his shot and clinged to NBA.
    Hedo could only shoot when he first played for Kings. He got stronger, he developed in other areas. Then he became a point forward. Which is a very extra feature for your team.

Nowitzki for instance, he is one of the best shooters out there. But what he brings to team is unmatched.

Kleiza, is a perfect european player. He shined in NBA from time to time, but he was condemned due to issues i mentioned. Now he plays for Raptors (a team that only exists to sell NBA internationally imo) Remember his year in Olympiakos.

This is why we rarely see Lithuanian or Greek player in NBA when they are usually very sucessful in Europe.

My view of basketball could be very narrow. But this is because NBA does not use players' full potential. The game does not allow that. There are great and great players out there but they are either stuck with their compulsory attempt to "show themselves" or with their linear progression mentality.

France has many one-type players. But they are led by De Colo and Parker. Which make them an ok team for THIS tournament.
    I repeat. If everyone were in full strength or with, let's say, their heads, things would be harder for them.

Like tomorrow.

P.S: If we compare basketball and soccer in terms of complexity. There's really a huge difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Deschain View Post
      Batum is a 10 ppg player for Europe. He has the skills for that, and he has the enough spark to be given that role. I'm not denying that. But yes. He dunks and shoots. Let's say, Bramos' athleticism is 75, his is 90.
      He is already 15 PPG player, not 10 (averaging 14.2 ppg). The second statement in bold really surprised me. If you said that about Albicy, Tchicamboud or Kahudi, it would be fair and realistic, but about BATUM?? You're don't like France...

But, if he develops himself, adds different dimensions to his game, he too will sit on the Portland bench.
      Because what makes him himself is his athletic abilities. If he doesn't work to improve them, he'll start to loose his credibility. Which will make him a 15 ppg 4 apg europe player, but a bench warmer in NBA.
      Man, you are just predicting things that could happen or not. What happened to Rudy has nothing to do with Batum. Physically, Batum is much more NBA ready then Rudy, despite his alley-opp dunks in Badalona or even in Portland.

Since there is a chasm between NBA's and Europe's overall athletic ability and strength, unathletic "kings" of Europe, suffocate in the pace, simplicity and strength of the game. (Spanoulis, Navarro, Saras, Rakocevic etc. )
      Totally agreed. These players you've mentioned simply doesn't fit in the NBA. Simply as that. Good offensive players, mainly following the playbook (Navarro), not that good in transition and below average defenders for the NBA standards.

This is why we rarely see Lithuanian or Greek player in NBA when they are usually very sucessful in Europe.
      You think it's all about lack of athleticism??
      https://twitter.com/LuksKasabian

Comment

You are projecting....

Ballhandling, dunking at best, are the parts of the game. If focused on solely, that's a work of a stunt.
        e.g Teodosic, is a really ballhandler, and Rudy, as we know, is a terrific dunker. (I too remember how insane he was in Joventut, he was periodically getting called "helicopter")

Since there is a chasm between NBA's and Europe's overall athletic ability and strength, unathletic "kings" of Europe, suffocate in the pace, simplicity and strength of the game.
        (Spanoulis, Navarro, Saras, Rakocevic etc. )

Parker has started to play more efficiently in Europe since he developed his shot and passing ability.
        Otherwise he was merely a go to guy with superior ability to change to direction.

My view of basketball could be very narrow. But this is because NBA does not use players' full potential. The game does not allow that. There are great and great players out there but they are either stuck with their compulsory attempt to "show themselves" or with their linear progression mentality.

France has many one-type players. But they are led by De Colo and Parker. Which make them an ok team for THIS tournament.
        I repeat. If everyone were in full strength or with, let's say, their heads, things would be harder for them.

Like tomorrow.

P.S: If we compare basketball and soccer in terms of complexity. There's really a huge difference.
        You are projecting your distaste for the NBA "street ballers" on to the French team. We all get it you dislike the NBA. Maybe dislike athletic players or prefer a guy who can shoot/pass from anywhere BUT has no mobility. All the hate or dislike for the NBA is causing you to be blind so that you can not fairly/intelligently analyze the French team. This is not a NBA vs Euro-league discussion. This is about The French team and Eurobasket.

Let's take a look at what your saying:

1. yes basketball is not simply about stunts BUT what does this have to with the French team?? I have watched all of the French team games in this tourney(many of them multiple times) and there are few if any "stunt" dunks or ball handling. So you are calling them "street ballers" for no reason other than your bias view. They take what the defense gives them, sometimes that's a dunk.

2.Again you think Batum is only a athlete. Your bias has made you blind again. He is a good ball handler. He plays smart defense. Both 1-1 and team. He is good at 2pt, lay up, dunk, jump shooting, 3pt. He is progressively getting better each game. is last game against Greece was efficient. Batum has showed more maturity than Teo this EC and he is only 22...

3. Here you go with the NBA again... I believe you are ignorant of American basketball development. USA players learn from a young age to play one on one defense. It is the first skill developed on defense. Some children leagues do not allow zone. Later zone is introduced. Popular belief here is that teaching young children zone first will hurt their ability and growth. So it is not "simply" about athleticism its about skill set. American kids grow up knowing how to stop a faster or stronger opponent 1 on 1 based on greater skills. A slower guy can stop/slow down a faster guy by taking away angles, drawing fouls etc.. This is intelligent and skillful not just athletic... This has nothing to do with NBA. Here in USA players have to be able to play excellent zone and 1 on 1 defense. Europe does not put such strong emphasis on defense. That is the BIG difference. It's not just about athletes its about defensive skill

4. Your view is narrow because you want it to be. Because no matter what the statistics show. No matter how much France wins. You will say they got lucky or they are just athletes or dunkers. You may not posses the wisdom to see the strengths of the team beyond your bias. France = NBA street ball stunt players to you. Your blind...

5. So you say France would not do so well if other teams are at full strength huh? This is no excuse! You should know that France is NOT at full strength. They are missing NBA Center/Forward Ronny Turiaf and M. Pietrus who is an excellent defender and 3pt shooter. I bet you did not think of that because you are blinded by bias

6. "Like tomorrow" Sure France could lose. Spain is at full strength. France is not. Spain has more athletes. A greater quantity of skilled players. Spain has better team chemistry and more experience together. If France loses to Spain this doesn't prove that France = unskilled NBA street ballers. Spain can beat anyone in the world including USA. Losing to Spain is not a dishonor.

7. True an in depth comparison of Football and Basketball would be complex. What is also true is that Brazilian/south American basketball is very different from German basketball BUT they still coexist and are respected. Likewise American basketball and European basketball are very different BUT both should be respected. You have no respect for anything that is not your view of basketball.

P.s. IMHO Turkey had the 2nd most athletic team in the EC BUT they played below their potential. France plays better team ball than Turkey. Turkey has all these physical gifts BUT did not use them. I think they needed a better coach. I think an American coach like Blatt, Coach K, Phil Jackson who know how to use athletes to their potential could get them a medal. As far as athletes quality and quantity rankings. 1.Spain 2.Turkey(insane frontcourt and small forwards) 3.France(insane backcourt and small forwards). Turkey had athletes and skilled players yet weak mentality and psychology and offensive tactics. France wins close games and finish strong. France has shown strong mentality under pressure. It is unfair projecting this street ball image on them....

Comment

Originally posted by Luíz for 3 View Post
          He is already 15 PPG player, not 10 (averaging 14.2 ppg). The second statement in bold really surprised me. If you said that about Albicy, Tchicamboud or Kahudi, it would be fair and realistic, but about BATUM?? You're don't like France...

Man, you are just predicting things that could happen or not. What happened to Rudy has nothing to do with Batum. Physically, Batum is much more NBA ready then Rudy, despite his alley-opp dunks in Badalona or even in Portland.

Totally agreed. These players you've mentioned simply doesn't fit in the NBA. Simply as that. Good offensive players, mainly following the playbook (Navarro), not that good in transition and below average defenders for the NBA standards.

You think it's all about lack of athleticism??
          +100 quoted for truth It has less to do with athleticism and more with skill development and playing style differences.

Comment

I voted Spain.

Think it's gonna be a pretty one-sided match and I do not see how France can surprise.

Spain knows to much about the France team, harder against Macedonia because they do not know much about Macedonia.

France have a few good individual players but if you put up the right defence and tactic they will look very average on the court with out idea and will look very poor as a team. Spain knows for sure how to play against France. At least they will use a mini zone defence again. In general they are poor 3 point shoters.

Just pity that Monya destroyd us with that super lucky 3 P buzzer. Thinks would be ESP-MKD final.

I don not see how France can escape a 20- loss in this match and for the second stright EC finale we will have a very one sided story as in Poland two years ago, thats pity.
            Originally posted by Ciscorlie Horford
            Macedonia (I refuse to call it FYROM, Article 19, Human Rights)

Comment

France will get it, I believe them.
              The Lighthouse in the Darkest Seas

Comment

Originally posted by Robimkd View Post

I don not see how France can escape a 20- loss in this match and for the second stright EC finale we will have a very one sided story as in Poland two years ago, thats pity.

That's what I'm afraid of!!! I don't wanna see another lame final again. I'm hoping france will resist until the end of the game. Please do france! I wanna see some axious gasol faces

and @Raze Lupin, I really enjoyed your point of view above. Keep up the good posts man!

Comment

I voted Spain.

Think it's gonna be a pretty one-sided match and I do not see how France can surprise.

Spain knows to much about the France team, harder against Macedonia because they do not know much about Macedonia.

France have a few good individual players but if you put up the right defence and tactic they will look very average on the court with out idea and will look very poor as a team. Spain knows for sure how to play against France. At least they will use a mini zone defence again. In general they are poor 3 point shoters.

Just pity that Monya destroyd us with that super lucky 3 P buzzer. Thinks would be ESP-MKD final.

Robi, I don't get it... You seem completely blindsided on your own team at times...

You are just repeating the old bias of this French Team, while saying that sudenly Fyrom has become the 3rd team in the world... We did not watch the same players on the court, I guess.
                  It's a bird? It's a plane? No, it's Rudy!

Comment

I voted Spain.

I think FYRoM - Dream Team would be a very closed game.If Vlado or Bo are in a bad day, maybe USA could steal the game. What do you think?
                    DEJAN BODIROGA-The Green God

Mια νύχτα μας, όλη η ζωή σας...
                    Ποτέ ξανά πρωτάθλημα στον Πειραιά...
                    (Copyright: Dino, Οικονόμου, Φράγκι, Dejan Bond e.t.c.)

TRIBUTE TO MEMBER Saras7-antibazelos

Stis xares kai stis lipes mazi triffilara mou mono esi
                    Check my avatar.

Comment

But this is because NBA does not use players' full potential. The game does not allow that.
                      This is true anywhere, anyday, at work, in an amateur team who wants to go to the higher division next year, etc... If the coach does not ask you what you can do, if you don't like your situation, if... then you are not used the right way. In the NBA, or anywhere.
                      In Europe, you have players that make one stellar year, and the year after, everything is going wrong for them. It's not the NBA.

I don't get your point.
                      It's a bird? It's a plane? No, it's Rudy!

Comment

Can someone explain to me how France has somehow come to represent the NBA when Spain has just as many players in the league?

It's not like they're playing Greece or Lithuania.
                        Pistons: 2021-22 Let the Motorcade begin!!

Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

Comment

Originally posted by jaka13 View Post
                          I think FYRoM - Dream Team would be a very closed game.If Vlado or Bo are in a bad day, maybe USA could steal the game. What do you think?
                          Originally posted by jaka13 View Post
                          You can be happy that Gecevski broke his hands against Slovenia. No way that Spain would have 48 rebs against 32 and 17 offensive rebs with Gec and Predrag insteed of Cekovski.

I dont think you understand how close Macedonia wos to do what Greece did in football. Just a broken hand made the deferance.

I do not care about dream team as long we are better than Greece I am fine .

You can get used to our results the next 3-4 years. Next year former Caja Laboral player Vladimir Micov will joint the team. This mean that Ilievski and Bo will be prity fresh and the end of the torny and not as last night when Vlado run out of power keep Navarro at 8 P as long he could get some air.

A lot of neutral experts say that France would get problems with our style of play. I guess all are wrong ???.

After tomorrow when Spain beat France with 20 points everybady will say the real final wos Spain-Macedonia .

Bo (Montepaski)
                          Vlado (Efes)
                          Pero (Will sign with Caja Laboral)
                          Vojdan (Will sign with Armani Milano, like Man C in football have money today)
                          Predrag (Rytas)
                          Vladimir (Former Partizan and Caja player)
                          Todor (Paok)
                          Damjan (Lukoil)
                          Riste Stefanov (Former Besiktas and Union Olimpia player)
                          Cekovski (MZT)
                          Nikolovski
                          Sokolov

At least 10 players in rotation, Cekovski with out minutes

Nikolovski and Stefanov injured during the prepeations. Kiril is the most talented center in Macedonia and would had succes just as Vojdan Stojanovski this wos his ticket out in europe i feel sorry for him but he will have a new chance next year in London .

What makes you 100% sure you will beat us even with Spanulis

Btw, back on topic.

Comment

You can be happy that Gecevski broke his hands against Slovenia. No way that Spain would have 48 rebs against 32 and 17 offensive rebs with Gec and Predrag insteed of Cekovski.

I dont think you understand how close Macedonia wos to do what Greece did in football. Just a broken hand made the deferance.

I do not care about dream team as long we are better than Greece I am fine .

You can get used to our results the next 3-4 years. Next year former Caja Laboral player Vladimir Micov will joint the team. This mean that Ilievski and Bo will be prity fresh and the end of the torny and not as last night when Vlado run out of power keep Navarro at 8 P as long he could get some air.

A lot of neutral experts say that France would get problems with our style of play. I guess all are wrong ???.

After tomorrow when Spain beat France with 20 points everybady will say the real final wos Spain-Macedonia .

Bo (Montepaski)
                            Vlado (Efes)
                            Pero (Will sign with Caja Laboral)
                            Vojdan (Will sign with Armani Milano, like Man C in football have money today)
                            Predrag (Rytas)
                            Vladimir (Former Partizan and Caja player)
                            Todor (Paok)
                            Damjan (Lukoil)
                            Riste Stefanov (Former Besiktas and Union Olimpia player)
                            Cekovski (MZT)
                            Nikolovski
                            Sokolov

At least 10 players in rotation, Cekovski with out minutes

Nikolovski and Stefanov injured during the prepeations. Kiril is the most talented center in Macedonia and would had succes just as Vojdan Stojanovski this wos his ticket out in europe i feel sorry for him but he will have a new chance next year in London .

What makes you 100% sure you will beat us even with Spanulis

Btw, back on topic.
                            First of all, i ain't happy for Gekevski's broken hand. On the contrary i'm very sad for him and also for his abscence from FYRoM's team against Spain.
                            As a matter of fact i was rooting for you, you have a very solid team.

As far as football and basketball; these 2 games are completely different. In football, surprices are much more often than in basketball. In basketball most of the times the favorite wins.

And yes, this greek NT is worse than FYRoM's. But you forget that this is our B (not say C) team, while your one is the most succesfull ever.

I have said again that i would be very happy to see next years basketball develop in FYRoM. That would be good (very good) for the sport.

And even if France loses tomorrow by 40 (let's say) points, that doesn't mean that FYRoM is better from them. With this logic, if Panathinaikos, for example, wins Kollosos by 5 and the next day wins Barcelona for 15, that means Kollosos is better than Barca??

I have also read from other compatriots of you that Navarro wouldn't have scored so many points, if this or if that..Compromise with that, Navarro is a world class player, he always scored many points against even harder opponents..

P.S.; Please stop chasing ghosts...The most of the people like your team, but you have to be more modest with your words. You are not a shitty team, but nor you are dream team..
                            DEJAN BODIROGA-The Green God

Mια νύχτα μας, όλη η ζωή σας...
                            Ποτέ ξανά πρωτάθλημα στον Πειραιά...
                            (Copyright: Dino, Οικονόμου, Φράγκι, Dejan Bond e.t.c.)

TRIBUTE TO MEMBER Saras7-antibazelos

Stis xares kai stis lipes mazi triffilara mou mono esi
                            Check my avatar.

Comment

In fact we will only get stronger when our diaspora boy Vladimir Micov join the team he will be a real key to our team. But lets not forget the very talented center Nikolovski but also Riste Stefanov.

One thing is sure and that is with these three players we will not get any worse next year, you can add Gecevski too cuz his hand will be OK next summer. I know he is old and will quit our NT after the EC in Slovenija 2013 as he told.

I hope that Antic will take one more step in Caja as Vojdan in Armani. AS a matter of act he will have two greek team mates in Armani that play for your NT.

Look man i know this is your B team but we can give your best team a good run for the money especially with Micov in the team.

I just hope that Macedonia and Greece avoid each other in qualifying so we can meet in London. 12 teams, 3 groups with 4 teams. 1 Group will have 2 teams from europ lets hope RUS and LTU.

.................................................. ............................................

France have fantastic individual players no doubt that they have better players than us. But you have to see the whole picure of basketball and that includes tactics and team play.

This is not the first time i watch France NT and they hade the same problems for many many years. They have amazing problems when someone put up a good zone defence against this team. And Macedonia has the best defence on EC (at least one Gecevski plays). We keep the opponent at 62 points with Gecevski.

France is a team that hate to play against teams that slow down the tempo and put up a zone defence. And Macedonia is expert to slow down the tempo.

his is what Greece has been good at the last 20-30 years, to slow down the opponent and win matches with magic tactics.

You should have beat France even with the team you have today. Some how France survived you made France look like a junior team with out idea.

Comment

even tho this might be little off topic i think its total bullshit how only 2 teams from europe qualify to Olympics, i mean really 2 teams? can anyone tell me who could compete with top 10-12 European teams besides USA, Argentina and maybe brazil and australia? its kind of screwed up that by far the most competitive continent in basketball gets only 2 spot its a joke i think europe deserves at least 5 positions.. lets say 1 for North america 1 for south 1 for africa 1 for asia 1 for oceania 5 for europe 1 for the hosts and 1 more for qualifying tournament..

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information