View Poll Results: Danilovic or Navarro?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Danilovic

20 40.82%
  • Navarro

29 59.18%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pedrag Danilovic vs Juan Carlos Navarro

i agree!

Not sure why Danilovic is so easily discarded by some when compared to Navarro. I think there's plenty of room for debate.

Truth is, Navarro is one of the most skilled and heterodox SGs ever, and he does stuff we've hardly seen before. It's really impressive.

Everyone seems to be under impression of Navarro because of his current plays or just because he is an active player while Danilovic is not (so no current comparison is possible). You can say one or another, but to say that they are, or to use better wording, their achievements are incomparable (as in Navaro is waaaay better) is least to say ignorant and plain and simply stupid.

Danilovic is one overall great off & deff player, with great Euro, National team and NBA career (when that was not that easy to have for Euro players), and more that that, he was unbelievable clutch player. For all those who forgot (or have never seen), please take a look at this masterpiece:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrXGQ...eature=related
    (Game 5 of Italian league playoff final, with 4 points down 20sec before game ending Danilovic sinks 3pointer from contact and scores additional free throw to take his team to OT and there he almost alone defeated Teamsystem)

Quote Originally Posted by vuxsa View Post
    please take a look at this masterpiece:
    (Game 5 of Italian league playoff final, with 4 points down 20sec before game ending Danilovic sinks 3pointer from contact and scores additional free throw to take his team to OT and there he almost alone defeated Teamsystem)
    I don't know if I'm jut being nostalgic but I always think that those were the days!! That kinder bologna, teamsystem, Olympiakos, Pao, Efes... So many great games I remember. And so many amazing players. I still know more about them than the current ones.

Wilkins, Rivers, Radja, Naumoski, Myers, Djordjevic...Oh and some maybe won't remember but Conrad MCrea(R.I.P). Oh man, good old days

Juan Carlos Navarro
    The Lighthouse in the Darkest Seas

Quote Originally Posted by Mermeri_Disledim View Post
    I don't know if I'm jut being nostalgic but I always think that those were the days!! That kinder bologna, teamsystem, Olympiakos, Pao, Efes... So many great games I remember. And so many amazing players. I still know more about them than the current ones.
    I feel exactly the same.
    Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
    Artificial Nature

Quote Originally Posted by vuxsa View Post
    For all those who forgot (or have never seen), please take a look at this masterpiece:
    Well, i remember that game very well... i was rooting for Fortitudo that day...

But, that play wasn't exactly clear as the foul by Dominique Wilkins should have not be called... and after the final shot missed by Abbio (before the OT), there was a foul on Fucka on the defensive rebound with less than 1 second to go (that's probably why refs didn't call it) that could have earned Gregor a couple of FTs to win that game...

Anyway i think Danilovic was one of the euro greatest players... i think he was on the same level of Navarro or even a little better.

Danilovic by small margin
    Jordi Bertomeu sucks!

Danilovic no doubt, navaros character is very shitty

Don't like, but respect both. Hard to judge who is better, but IMO Danilovic could pretty easily have such game like Navarro vs FYROM and I'm quite sure he had. At his prime it was hard to catch more games of bball, except local clubs, NTs or EL Final4, but from what I saw - Danilovic was awesome. Defense, offense, leadership, clutch moments. Navarro is close, but Danilovic was a player who I was afraid of more when he played against LT.

So I say - Danilovic

Quote Originally Posted by Mermeri_Disledim View Post

Wilkins, Rivers, Radja, Naumoski, Myers, Djordjevic...Oh and some maybe won't remember but Conrad MCrea(R.I.P). Oh man, good old days
    Well, in those days there were only a few European players in the NBA, so most of the best were in Europe. Not anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Genjuro View Post
    Well, in those days there were only a few European players in the NBA, so most of the best were in Europe. Not anymore.
    Yup, but with one small addition to that claim - in those days, only best of the best went to NBA.

SunOverHStreet

With all due respect to Saa Đorđević, Danilović was the key factor for Partizan's 1992 euroleague title. He was 21 years old.

With this MVP Navarro maybe can be compared with people like Danilovic, Gallis, Myers...

1. Petrovic
    2. Marchulenis
    Sorry for my poor english

Well, imho I think Danilovic was a better player in overall.

Let's say that you had a team with 4 mediocre players, who 'd be of more help? Also, Danilovic 'd never be stopped by Calathis

That could be a very long discussion. Danilovic's NBA career and Navarro's NBA career is partly comparable. They were both scoring options. Danilovic played for a better team, was a better scorer, was playing more time and was a starter. So, for the NBA game, mainly because of his size and for the things he could do there, he was better

Navarro, on the other hand, he is more of a Euro player. Overall, he is a more dominant scorer, has more ways to score and probably he is a better all-around player as well. Also, his unorthodox style gets him to the category of "unguardable" players and, although some would claim that Danilovic was a great shooter (and he was, that's true), Navarro is even better on that as well

Defensively, even for the type of game in the late 80s, early 90s and mid-late 90s, before Danilovic quit basketball, he was still better than Navarro. But, noticing Navarro now, at the peak of his career and with this amazing durability and continuity, it is obvious that he is a natural leader+complete scorer+great perimeter player (with superior ball handling, basketball iq and passing to Danilovic)

So, overall, after comparing their careers, I think that Navarro would start for the Yugoslavian NT 1995 and would be a back up to Drazen Petrovic, if there was a Yugoslavian NT 1992 (these would be the roles of Danilovic in these cases)

On the contrary, I am not sure that Danilovic would start for Spain today or even in any of the recent competitions. Even on a couple of summers when Rudy was starting at SG for Spain, I still think that Danilovic wouldn't be a definite option above him

So, at the end of the day, it looks as if Navarro is better, but not much better

After Petrovic, Marciulionis and maybe Galis, Navarro should likely be considered the 4th best SG in Europe since 1980
    Sexuality when one reaches their 30s is either mainstream or sick, but no matter what, it isn't pure

SunOverHStreet

Good post Wardjdim, but unfortunately your objectivity falls with those who actually watched Danilović play... Of course, I won't question your personal opinion about Danilović or why you prefer Navarro more (which I respect!), but some of 'your facts' are highly debatable or wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by wardjdim View Post
    That could be a very long discussion. Danilovic's NBA career and Navarro's NBA career is partly comparable. They were both scoring options. Danilovic played for a better team, was a better scorer, was playing more time and was a starter. So, for the NBA game, mainly because of his size and for the things he could do there, he was better
    I don't know, but it seems like you presented his NBA career as a disadvantage or something to overlook in this case. Danilović find a way to adjust his game to far superior basketball, unlike in Europe where he could do a lot more...
    Navarro, on the other hand, he is more of a Euro player. Overall, he is a more dominant scorer, has more ways to score and probably he is a better all-around player as well. Also, his unorthodox style gets him to the category of "unguardable" players (Pera Boić disagrees!) and, although some would claim that Danilovic was a great shooter (and he was, that's true), Navarro is even better on that as well
    I'm not sure if we watched the same Danilović, but the one I was watching could also penetrate, dunk, make an assist, you name it...
    And I'm not even gonna talk about his high release jump shot (making players go berserk, especially the ones guarding him), which many of today's stars could only dream of.
    Second bolded part is just mind blowing. Ok, you like Navarro more, but how you come-off with that (no disrespect, just give me something to hold on to)?
    Defensively, even for the type of game in the late 80s, early 90s and mid-late 90s, before Danilovic quit basketball, he was still better than Navarro. But, noticing Navarro now, at the peak of his career and with this amazing durability and continuity, it is obvious that he is a natural leader+complete scorer+great perimeter player (with superior ball handling, basketball iq and passing to Danilovic)
    I fail to find correlation between this Danilović's defense and Navarro's 'completeness'. Navarro is a great player, I'm not denying it, and he is all of what you wrote above (bolded), but I want to know how come Danilović wasn't all of that.
    (with superior ball handling, basketball iq and passing to Danilovic)
    Don't you think that this is a bit overstatement?
    So, overall, after comparing their careers, I think that Navarro would start for the Yugoslavian NT 1995 and would be a back up to Drazen Petrovic, if there was a Yugoslavian NT 1992 (these would be the roles of Danilovic in these cases)
    On the contrary, I am not sure that Danilovic would start for Spain today or even in any of the recent competitions. Even on a couple of summers when Rudy was starting at SG for Spain, I still think that Danilovic wouldn't be a definite option above him
    This is an artistic freedom, nothing more.
    So, at the end of the day, it looks as if Navarro is better, but not much better
    I ain't gonna challenge this, if you firmly believe in it. But, a weird analogy behind it left a bitter taste...

Both undoubtedly belong to the European top 20 of all time.

Danilovic has a slight edge IMO mainly due to his decent defensive abilities. Their offensive skillset is to my mind completely equal.

Quote Originally Posted by wardjdim View Post
    LOL

Yeah, he would risk the cut from the roster...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12