Pedrag Danilovic vs Juan Carlos Navarro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mermeri_Disledim View Post
    I don't know if I'm jut being nostalgic but I always think that those were the days!! That kinder bologna, teamsystem, Olympiakos, Pao, Efes... So many great games I remember. And so many amazing players. I still know more about them than the current ones.

Wilkins, Rivers, Radja, Naumoski, Myers, Djordjevic...Oh and some maybe won't remember but Conrad MCrea(R.I.P). Oh man, good old days
    Well, in those days there were only a few European players in the NBA, so most of the best were in Europe. Not anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Genjuro View Post
      Well, in those days there were only a few European players in the NBA, so most of the best were in Europe. Not anymore.
      Yup, but with one small addition to that claim - in those days, only best of the best went to NBA.

Comment

With all due respect to Saša Đorđević, Danilović was the key factor for Partizan's 1992 euroleague title. He was 21 years old.

Comment

With this MVP Navarro maybe can be compared with people like Danilovic, Gallis, Myers...

1. Petrovic
          2. Marchulenis
          Sorry for my poor english

Comment

Well, imho I think Danilovic was a better player in overall.

Let's say that you had a team with 4 mediocre players, who 'd be of more help? Also, Danilovic 'd never be stopped by Calathis

Comment

That could be a very long discussion. Danilovic's NBA career and Navarro's NBA career is partly comparable. They were both scoring options. Danilovic played for a better team, was a better scorer, was playing more time and was a starter. So, for the NBA game, mainly because of his size and for the things he could do there, he was better

Navarro, on the other hand, he is more of a Euro player. Overall, he is a more dominant scorer, has more ways to score and probably he is a better all-around player as well. Also, his unorthodox style gets him to the category of "unguardable" players and, although some would claim that Danilovic was a great shooter (and he was, that's true), Navarro is even better on that as well

Defensively, even for the type of game in the late 80s, early 90s and mid-late 90s, before Danilovic quit basketball, he was still better than Navarro. But, noticing Navarro now, at the peak of his career and with this amazing durability and continuity, it is obvious that he is a natural leader+complete scorer+great perimeter player (with superior ball handling, basketball iq and passing to Danilovic)

So, overall, after comparing their careers, I think that Navarro would start for the Yugoslavian NT 1995 and would be a back up to Drazen Petrovic, if there was a Yugoslavian NT 1992 (these would be the roles of Danilovic in these cases)

On the contrary, I am not sure that Danilovic would start for Spain today or even in any of the recent competitions. Even on a couple of summers when Rudy was starting at SG for Spain, I still think that Danilovic wouldn't be a definite option above him

So, at the end of the day, it looks as if Navarro is better, but not much better

After Petrovic, Marciulionis and maybe Galis, Navarro should likely be considered the 4th best SG in Europe since 1980
              Sexuality when one reaches their 30s is either mainstream or sick, but no matter what, it isn't pure

Comment

Good post Wardjdim, but unfortunately your objectivity falls with those who actually watched Danilović play... Of course, I won't question your personal opinion about Danilović or why you prefer Navarro more (which I respect!), but some of 'your facts' are highly debatable or wrong.

Originally posted by wardjdim View Post
                That could be a very long discussion. Danilovic's NBA career and Navarro's NBA career is partly comparable. They were both scoring options. Danilovic played for a better team, was a better scorer, was playing more time and was a starter. So, for the NBA game, mainly because of his size and for the things he could do there, he was better
                I don't know, but it seems like you presented his NBA career as a disadvantage or something to overlook in this case. Danilović find a way to adjust his game to far superior basketball, unlike in Europe where he could do a lot more...
                Navarro, on the other hand, he is more of a Euro player. Overall, he is a more dominant scorer, has more ways to score and probably he is a better all-around player as well. Also, his unorthodox style gets him to the category of "unguardable" players (Pera Božić disagrees!) and, although some would claim that Danilovic was a great shooter (and he was, that's true), Navarro is even better on that as well
                I'm not sure if we watched the same Danilović, but the one I was watching could also penetrate, dunk, make an assist, you name it...
                And I'm not even gonna talk about his high release jump shot (making players go berserk, especially the ones guarding him), which many of today's stars could only dream of.
                Second bolded part is just mind blowing. Ok, you like Navarro more, but how you come-off with that (no disrespect, just give me something to hold on to)?
                Defensively, even for the type of game in the late 80s, early 90s and mid-late 90s, before Danilovic quit basketball, he was still better than Navarro. But, noticing Navarro now, at the peak of his career and with this amazing durability and continuity, it is obvious that he is a natural leader+complete scorer+great perimeter player (with superior ball handling, basketball iq and passing to Danilovic)
                I fail to find correlation between this Danilović's defense and Navarro's 'completeness'. Navarro is a great player, I'm not denying it, and he is all of what you wrote above (bolded), but I want to know how come Danilović wasn't all of that.
                (with superior ball handling, basketball iq and passing to Danilovic)
                Don't you think that this is a bit overstatement?
                So, overall, after comparing their careers, I think that Navarro would start for the Yugoslavian NT 1995 and would be a back up to Drazen Petrovic, if there was a Yugoslavian NT 1992 (these would be the roles of Danilovic in these cases)
                On the contrary, I am not sure that Danilovic would start for Spain today or even in any of the recent competitions. Even on a couple of summers when Rudy was starting at SG for Spain, I still think that Danilovic wouldn't be a definite option above him
                This is an artistic freedom, nothing more.
                So, at the end of the day, it looks as if Navarro is better, but not much better
                I ain't gonna challenge this, if you firmly believe in it. But, a weird analogy behind it left a bitter taste...

Comment

Both undoubtedly belong to the European top 20 of all time.

Danilovic has a slight edge IMO mainly due to his decent defensive abilities. Their offensive skillset is to my mind completely equal.

Comment

Originally posted by wardjdim View Post
                    LOL

Yeah, he would risk the cut from the roster...

Comment

Working...
                    X

Debug Information