fall of "yugoslavian" basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What has that got to do with it though?

I don't say anything about Turkey and just talk about the Balkan countries, where does this comparison with Turkey come from all of a sudden?
    THE NBA IS FAKE

Comment

Originally posted by UMUT_FB_LAL View Post
      I don't have an attitude, but you should see Croatia reaching the 2008 games as an exception rather than a normality

Serbia might've missed the Olympic games for the second time in a row, but the two tournament before this they were top 2 and top 4

If 2009's Eurobasket would offer spots for the Olympics then they would be there, so you have to have some luck too.. It's the same Eurobasket, in 2009 it doesn't help you, in 2011 it does..

And I don't think the Olympic Games are the greatest basketball tournament, because 1: it isn't just for basketball, it is one of the many sports and 2: there are very few teams and not even the greatest twelve in the world, and great contenders can't be there because of a bad year

The World Championship is a better tournament because it has more teams and muccchhh more cumulative quality, but the Olympics are the most prestigious one, because the Americans say so

I think the only evidence that WBC is a better tournament has to do with the # of teams playing because it allows for more of the mid-level European teams to play. I can understand that argument but history still shows that the best European players play the years when Olympic qualifying spots are being fought for. Plus, the best players almost always play during the Olympics but the same is not true for the WBC.

Comment

What has that got to do with it though?

I don't say anything about Turkey and just talk about the Balkan countries, where does this comparison with Turkey come from all of a sudden?
        from WC comparison

and if you go trouhout history croats and serbs dominate in ex yugo teams from 70is to 90is you would find players like like plecas, djerdja, skansi, solman, tvrdic, cosic, petrovic, radja, kukoc, komazec, vrankovic and so on as stars of ex yugo basketball....and from 70is, to 90is it's croatian teams that won 10 internationl titles, and played multiple finals. with smaller sucses bih was also big factor of ex yu basketball. so before you make some statment inform your self
        Jordi Bertomeu sucks!

Comment

Good points, especially about the greatest players
          WBC's cumulative quality is still higher, but the Olympics' average quality is better, mainly because of the best players showing up, although 25% of the teams will be mediocre at best: Tunisia, Asian champion and Great Britain (I still love you guys tho) and maybe Australia

WBC is much bigger, OG is more exclusive and you're more privileged to be there

The Olympics certainly have a greater weight, but is it a stronger tournament than the WBC? I think the answer is somewhere in the middle..
          THE NBA IS FAKE

Comment

From USA

Originally posted by Tesla View Post
            ^ Your insight is very good. Really though without intending to be dismissive, it's very complicated. You will find much diversity in opinion in each and every country except perhaps Slovenia. We are people that are just not inclined to unity. Unity is like some kind of submission for us. There is even a unique word in the Serbian language, "inat" that can help to understand us. One definition, "an attitude of proud defiance, stubborness and self-preservation - sometimes to the detriment of everyone else or even oneself."

Please, feel free to discuss politics at non basketball related forums.
            JPF
            Thanks for this domestic insight. I have often wondered about This Ex-yugo mentality BUT never understood why. I didn't know their was a name for it. I deal with many serbs and a few Bosnians, Croats at my University and now career. The "inat" attitude was apparent in most. Especially the men. I always wondered what was going on. Someone should write a book so westerners will know whats going on too

Comment

Originally posted by pohani komarac View Post
              from WC comparison

and if you go trouhout history croats and serbs dominate in ex yugo teams from 70is to 90is you would find players like like plecas, djerdja, skansi, solman, tvrdic, cosic, petrovic, radja, kukoc, komazec, vrankovic and so on as stars of ex yugo basketball....and from 70is, to 90is it's croatian teams that won 10 internationl titles, and played multiple finals. with smaller sucses bih was also big factor of ex yu basketball. so before you make some statment inform your self
              Yeah but I'm talking about what I've seen tho
              Since I've been watching I haven't seen that kind of success, you can't keep going back to 1994 and earlier if you are a great basketball country

Since I've been watching Croatia hasn't been great except for 2005

And not to take anything away from those victories, but prizes teams get in this era where basketball has become much more competitive, bigger and kinda global are much more impressing to me than those in the seventies when maybe five countries in Europe played basketball

I do admire the fact that Croatians and Bosnians had such a big impact in those Yugo successes tho...

And the fact that Croatia started winning all those medals immediately after it got independent is really impressive and says a lot

But this century only Serbia and Slovenia have been factors, that's what I'm saying

Didn't know inat was a Serbian word, we use that in Turkey too
              THE NBA IS FAKE

Comment

I hope Yugoslav basketball will shine again Croatia has very good young generation and I am hopeful about them.Serbia? I don't know... Slovenia will be nothing in the future... Bosna is always looser Bosna... Macedonia?? Maybe after this championship they can attack... Kosovo?? Haha, I think we will have 2-3 players in our national basketball team who has Kosovar origin

Comment

Yeah but I'm talking about what I've seen tho
                  Since I've been watching I haven't seen that kind of success, you can't keep going back to 1994 and earlier if you are a great basketball country

Since I've been watching Croatia hasn't been great except for 2005

And not to take anything away from those victories, but prizes teams get in this era where basketball has become much more competitive, bigger and kinda global are much more impressing to me than those in the seventies when maybe five countries in Europe played basketball

I do admire the fact that Croatians and Bosnians had such a big impact in those Yugo successes tho...

And the fact that Croatia started winning all those medals immediately after it got independent is really impressive and says a lot

But this century only Serbia and Slovenia have been factors, that's what I'm saying
                  Didn't know inat was a Serbian word, we use that in Turkey too
                  yes when talking nt results

but because of so many absentes croatia was uncompetitive besides 05. and perhaps 08.-09. and 05. was only time we had full squad

so no you can't say "yugoslavian" basketall is serbian, because at that period croatia and slovenia had player base to compete
                  Jordi Bertomeu sucks!

Comment

Originally posted by turk-jugoslav View Post
                    Croatia has very good young generation and I am hopeful about them.D
                    that is something that is often emphasized by our federation, coach, players..
                    but fact is that this team that was playing at EC was 26 years old in average.
                    it is probably "young" because most of them had small or none expirience of playing for NT..
                    but that is because our coaches are always afraid to put young guns into action..
                    even RepeÅ¡a for whom I have a high oppinion didn't use Tomić at all eventhough at that time he was rocking ibeing 23 years old....
                    meanwhile you have Rupnik, Murič, Dragič, (probably the only good thing that will stay behind Maljkovič is giving time to these youngsters) Valenciunas etc. who received playing time..
                    "Heja, heja Cibosi, hrabri kao vukovi,

heja, heja cibosi, vodite nas k pobjedi. "

Comment

Just because Slovenians do not tend to overhype our youngsters at the age of 18 we will be nothing in the future? 91 and 92 generation are pretty promising, we'll get along no worries
                      Originally posted by Jon_Koncak
                      That's funny shit.I cant believe there are sports fans thinking like it.It's like Federer losing to random Japanese player in round 1 of French Open but tournament director stepping in and saying "hey it was a fluke win who wants to watch a random Japanese guy in next round,Federer qualifies"

Comment

why don't you stockpile the best players from Yugoslavia and make a list of the talent pool available and think how good that team would be?

Comment

Originally posted by Picek View Post
                          that is something that is often emphasized by our federation, coach, players..
                          but fact is that this team that was playing at EC was 26 years old in average.
                          it is probably "young" because most of them had small or none expirience of playing for NT..
                          but that is because our coaches are always afraid to put young guns into action..
                          even RepeÅ¡a for whom I have a high oppinion didn't use Tomić at all
                          eventhough at that time he was rocking ibeing 23 years old....
                          meanwhile you have Rupnik, Murič, Dragič, (probably the only good thing that will stay behind Maljkovič is giving time to these youngsters) Valenciunas etc. who received playing time..
                          not true

repesa involed young markota, barac, rudez, banic and tomic in nt, whille also giving lot of time to ukic and tomas who were involed in 04. qualifycations by spahija

in 09., some of this players were injured and had bad seasons, whille presure to get medal in 09. on him was highest then ever, and some older players like kasun, vujcic decide to return. whille our 86.-89. generations were crap besides exceptions of bogdanovic, tomic and barac. especially 87.-88. with only tomic as high level prospect. so repesa didn't have anyone to invole besides tomic

and like i said here before eb 09., this is our last chance to do something, or we will have to wait another few years. and that now becomes evident. we now only have ukic, tomas, barac, bogdanovic and tomic as established good plaers, but non of them are stars. and few in reality medicore helpers. hopefully some of zubcic-delas generation will be able to establich them self as good playes so will will be abel to keep good level from 2013-15, untill hopefully 94.-96. generationd mature
                          Jordi Bertomeu sucks!

Comment

Originally posted by Joško Poljak Fan View Post
                            Just because Slovenians do not tend to overhype our youngsters at the age of 18 we will be nothing in the future? 91 and 92 generation are pretty promising, we'll get along no worries
                            how true is that really? 11-th at U-20 championships for two years in a row..
                            last two u-18 12. and 10.
                            U-16 played at B division for two years in a row (won it this year though)
                            ofcourse these results mostly mean jack shit when it comes to senior level, best example for that is the bronze generation of U-20 team from 2006. but then again there is an example of U-20 gold winning team with E. Lorbek...
                            those youth results give you a some kind of idea where the future is going, atleast to me..
                            that was the idea I was following, ofcourse I could be completely wrong about it..
                            "Heja, heja Cibosi, hrabri kao vukovi,

heja, heja cibosi, vodite nas k pobjedi. "

Comment

The way i see it in 2013 we will have

G.Dragic - 27 y/o in his prime and lets hope with a better shot and smarter
                              B. Udrih - 31 y/o lets hope he plays, he will still be young
                              G. Vidmar - 26 y/o i hope his injury wont hamper his future development. Last year at the WC and the start of the EL season he looked amazing. He can only get better, he needs to improve his back to the basket game, but we need him very much, he is our only athletic big, and he sets awesome screens.
                              M. Begic - 28 y/o he needs to get out of Real, he wont get a chance to grow there. He can develop into a very good player.
                              E. Lorbek - 29 y/o he will still be in his prime.
                              S. Vujacic - 29 y/o as much as i hate him, we simply need him no way around it. This season at Efes will show what he is made of.
                              Z. Dragic - 24 y/o he will be entering his prime. He simply has got to improve his shot. No doubt about it, as things stand now he is useless in a swt offense except for off. rebounds. If he adds a solid jumper to his game, we gain a top tier player. Awesome at defense, rebounding, athleticism and offense.
                              B. Nachbar - 33 y/o he will be in the twilight of his career but i bet he will be able to contribute some, and help with experience.
                              U.Slokar- 30 y/o will still be in his prime, lets hope he stops being so soft by then.

We will still be a very good NT who will be allowed to dream about a medal. Most of these players will be able to play still in 2015, and lets hope by then some bright youngster emerges.
                              My homage to The heroes:
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOFlzU14Ivs

Comment

Originally posted by Picek View Post
                                how true is that really? 11-th at U-20 championships for two years in a row..
                                last two u-18 12. and 10.
                                U-16 played at B division for two years in a row (won it this year though)
                                ofcourse these results mostly mean jack shit when it comes to senior level, best example for that is the bronze generation of U-20 team from 2006. but then again there is an example of U-20 gold winning team with E. Lorbek...
                                those youth results give you a some kind of idea where the future is going, atleast to me..
                                that was the idea I was following, ofcourse I could be completely wrong about it..
                                1994 u-18 2nd
                                1996 u-18 1st
                                1998 u-18 2nd
                                2000 u-18 2nd
                                2002 u-18 1st

back then yuth turnaments were evry 2nd year

why we didn't dominate euro basketball?

1st u-12 basketball doesn't translate to u-14, u-14 to u-16, u-16 to u-18, u-18 to u-20, and especially yuth basketball doesn't translate to senior level

2nd, just because great britan didn't won anything at yuth level, that doesn't mean devon van oostrum isn't one of most talented young players in europe
                                Jordi Bertomeu sucks!

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information