Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: fall of "yugoslavian" basketball

why don't you stockpile the best players from Yugoslavia and make a list of the talent pool available and think how good that team would be?

Quote Originally Posted by Picek View Post
    that is something that is often emphasized by our federation, coach, players..
    but fact is that this team that was playing at EC was 26 years old in average.
    it is probably "young" because most of them had small or none expirience of playing for NT..
    but that is because our coaches are always afraid to put young guns into action..
    even Repeša for whom I have a high oppinion didn't use Tomić at all
    eventhough at that time he was rocking ibeing 23 years old....
    meanwhile you have Rupnik, Murič, Dragič, (probably the only good thing that will stay behind Maljkovič is giving time to these youngsters) Valenciunas etc. who received playing time..
    not true

repesa involed young markota, barac, rudez, banic and tomic in nt, whille also giving lot of time to ukic and tomas who were involed in 04. qualifycations by spahija

in 09., some of this players were injured and had bad seasons, whille presure to get medal in 09. on him was highest then ever, and some older players like kasun, vujcic decide to return. whille our 86.-89. generations were crap besides exceptions of bogdanovic, tomic and barac. especially 87.-88. with only tomic as high level prospect. so repesa didn't have anyone to invole besides tomic

and like i said here before eb 09., this is our last chance to do something, or we will have to wait another few years. and that now becomes evident. we now only have ukic, tomas, barac, bogdanovic and tomic as established good plaers, but non of them are stars. and few in reality medicore helpers. hopefully some of zubcic-delas generation will be able to establich them self as good playes so will will be abel to keep good level from 2013-15, untill hopefully 94.-96. generationd mature
    Jordi Bertomeu sucks!

Quote Originally Posted by Joško Poljak Fan View Post
    Just because Slovenians do not tend to overhype our youngsters at the age of 18 we will be nothing in the future? 91 and 92 generation are pretty promising, we'll get along no worries
    how true is that really? 11-th at U-20 championships for two years in a row..
    last two u-18 12. and 10.
    U-16 played at B division for two years in a row (won it this year though)
    ofcourse these results mostly mean jack shit when it comes to senior level, best example for that is the bronze generation of U-20 team from 2006. but then again there is an example of U-20 gold winning team with E. Lorbek...
    those youth results give you a some kind of idea where the future is going, atleast to me..
    that was the idea I was following, ofcourse I could be completely wrong about it..
    "Heja, heja Cibosi, hrabri kao vukovi,

heja, heja cibosi, vodite nas k pobjedi. "

The way i see it in 2013 we will have

G.Dragic - 27 y/o in his prime and lets hope with a better shot and smarter
    B. Udrih - 31 y/o lets hope he plays, he will still be young
    G. Vidmar - 26 y/o i hope his injury wont hamper his future development. Last year at the WC and the start of the EL season he looked amazing. He can only get better, he needs to improve his back to the basket game, but we need him very much, he is our only athletic big, and he sets awesome screens.
    M. Begic - 28 y/o he needs to get out of Real, he wont get a chance to grow there. He can develop into a very good player.
    E. Lorbek - 29 y/o he will still be in his prime.
    S. Vujacic - 29 y/o as much as i hate him, we simply need him no way around it. This season at Efes will show what he is made of.
    Z. Dragic - 24 y/o he will be entering his prime. He simply has got to improve his shot. No doubt about it, as things stand now he is useless in a swt offense except for off. rebounds. If he adds a solid jumper to his game, we gain a top tier player. Awesome at defense, rebounding, athleticism and offense.
    B. Nachbar - 33 y/o he will be in the twilight of his career but i bet he will be able to contribute some, and help with experience.
    U.Slokar- 30 y/o will still be in his prime, lets hope he stops being so soft by then.

We will still be a very good NT who will be allowed to dream about a medal. Most of these players will be able to play still in 2015, and lets hope by then some bright youngster emerges.

how true is that really? 11-th at U-20 championships for two years in a row..
    last two u-18 12. and 10.
    U-16 played at B division for two years in a row (won it this year though)
    ofcourse these results mostly mean jack shit when it comes to senior level, best example for that is the bronze generation of U-20 team from 2006. but then again there is an example of U-20 gold winning team with E. Lorbek...
    those youth results give you a some kind of idea where the future is going, atleast to me..
    that was the idea I was following, ofcourse I could be completely wrong about it..
    1994 u-18 2nd
    1996 u-18 1st
    1998 u-18 2nd
    2000 u-18 2nd
    2002 u-18 1st

back then yuth turnaments were evry 2nd year

why we didn't dominate euro basketball?

1st u-12 basketball doesn't translate to u-14, u-14 to u-16, u-16 to u-18, u-18 to u-20, and especially yuth basketball doesn't translate to senior level

2nd, just because great britan didn't won anything at yuth level, that doesn't mean devon van oostrum isn't one of most talented young players in europe
    Jordi Bertomeu sucks!

Quote Originally Posted by damelo View Post
    Not excluding that Spain for example wants a guy like Mirotic to play with them, or the preldzic story.
    Very nice and complete analysis. But ...

It is actually Mirotic who wants to play for Spain.
    He lives there since he was 14 years old and feels like a Spaniard.

Quote Originally Posted by pohani komarac View Post
    1994 u-18 2nd
    1996 u-18 1st
    1998 u-18 2nd
    2000 u-18 2nd
    2002 u-18 1st

1st u-12 basketball doesn't translate to u-14, u-14 to u-16, u-16 to u-18, u-18 to u-20, and especially yuth basketball doesn't translate to senior level

2nd, just because great britan didn't won anything at yuth level, that doesn't mean devon van oostrum isn't one of most talented young players in europe
    you do know how to read, right? which part of this you didn't understand?
    "ofcourse these results mostly mean jack shit when it comes to senior level"

Quote Originally Posted by Alyosha12 View Post
    The way i see it in 2013 we will have

G.Dragic - 27 y/o in his prime and lets hope with a better shot and smarter
    B. Udrih - 31 y/o lets hope he plays, he will still be young
    G. Vidmar - 26 y/o i hope his injury wont hamper his future development. Last year at the WC and the start of the EL season he looked amazing. He can only get better, he needs to improve his back to the basket game, but we need him very much, he is our only athletic big, and he sets awesome screens.
    M. Begic - 28 y/o he needs to get out of Real, he wont get a chance to grow there. He can develop into a very good player.
    E. Lorbek - 29 y/o he will still be in his prime.
    S. Vujacic - 29 y/o as much as i hate him, we simply need him no way around it. This season at Efes will show what he is made of.
    Z. Dragic - 24 y/o he will be entering his prime. He simply has got to improve his shot. No doubt about it, as things stand now he is useless in a swt offense except for off. rebounds. If he adds a solid jumper to his game, we gain a top tier player. Awesome at defense, rebounding, athleticism and offense.
    B. Nachbar - 33 y/o he will be in the twilight of his career but i bet he will be able to contribute some, and help with experience.
    U.Slokar- 30 y/o will still be in his prime, lets hope he stops being so soft by then.
    when you put it like this there is one problem, no "modern" PF in the team..
    no Smodiš like type of player.. or are you missing someone?

spain doesn't have "moden" pf

ihmo, there is one iteresting kid vranjkovic or something like that who can jack 3is
    Jordi Bertomeu sucks!

spain doesn't have "moden" pf
    do you see Pau or Navarro in any of these players mentioned?

Quote Originally Posted by Alvertis4 View Post
    why don't you stockpile the best players from Yugoslavia and make a list of the talent pool available and think how good that team would be?
    I think we are all over that..
    simply, the yugoslav team from the 90's would probably be best team ever in history of basketball.. there I said it, better then dream team..
    and since that team fall apart, making a new one even if just on paper looks really pointless..

Well i agree with you and as i was writing that i saw we are very weak at PF. Lets hope some young guy emerges, but i have my doubts though. May be Nachbar will be able to step down for a few minutes but i doubt that as well. We are set at every other position though.

Slokar would be perfect if he was aggressive and not soft as tissue paper.

do you see Pau or Navarro in any of these players mentioned?
    Do you see Pau or Navarro in any other NT though? Lets be honest no NT except Spain has quality at every position and even Spain has a weak PG position tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Alyosha12 View Post
    Do you see Pau or Navarro in any other NT though?
    ofcourse not, that is the reason why it is pointless to discuss about Spain needing a a modern PF..
    with those two guys and the rest of the crew they really don't need one..

macedonia doesn't have shooter, macedonia doesn't have wing

or do you see navarro and gasol

basketball is simple game, not complicated
    Jordi Bertomeu sucks!

even if all today's players from ex yu countries play in one team i don't think there would be much quality diference (only longer bench), and they certainly wouldn't get gold. a lot of very good players but none of them isn't superstar, nobody can compare to toni dino dražen bodiroga divac etc or to dirk, pau, parker and nowitzki

1994 u-18 2nd
    1996 u-18 1st
    1998 u-18 2nd
    2000 u-18 2nd
    2002 u-18 1st

giricek, vujcic, bagaric, zizic, kasun, planinic, popovic, tomas and ukic are best players ( or one of best ) in all that medal tournaments. and only lamonica, dovidavicius and drabikovsky stand between them and medal ( probably gold ) in eb 2005. and who knows what would be later. maybe because of that planinic becomes epic choker. tomas gain role player mentality. giricek and vujcic retairs from nt....

domination in youth tournaments does not means that all players would be great players but certainly does not meas that team whic takes 12. place have more then one, two solid players

Quote Originally Posted by euskadi View Post
    giricek, vujcic, bagaric, zizic, kasun, planinic, popovic, tomas and ukic are best players ( or one of best ) in all that medal tournaments. and only lamonica, dovidavicius and drabikovsky stand between them and medal ( probably gold ) in eb 2005. and who knows what would be later. maybe because of that planinic becomes epic choker. tomas gain role player mentality. giricek and vujcic retairs from nt....
    now, don't push it..
    that team from 2005. had to play a playoff game already against Italy because Lithuania dismantled us in the group stage..
    and against Italy it wasn't an easy game..
    besides, what's the point of bringing that up again?
    part of the problem of our basketball is that we all like to live in the past..

all that slovenian great players lakovic, smodis, brezec, becirovic, nahbar, lorbek, dragic played in eurobasket u20 finals. they won twice and lose once. vidmar, klobucar and preldzic are 5.

so it is stupid to expect that slovenia continue to play great role with all that mediocre talents. and they are mediocre if they won 8. 10. 12. or so places

now, don't push it..
    that team from 2005. had to play a playoff game already against Italy because Lithuania dismantled us in the group stage..
    and against Italy it wasn't an easy game..
    besides, what's the point of bringing that up again?
    part of the problem of our basketball is that we all like to live in the past..
    point is to point out that all those players are close to translate medal from youth tournaments in senior level medal. and why not gold? we played great bball back then

and after that tournament everything fall apart. that generation never gets second chance

macedonia doesn't have shooter, macedonia doesn't have wing

or do you see navarro and gasol

basketball is simple game, not complicated
    Macedonia have 5 playes in the starting line up (When Gec plays) that can score from the arc. This is very unuseal.

Whats wrong with Vojdan Stojanovski ? one of the best wingers during the EC bothe in O and D and mostly in D. Maybe your blinde ?.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast