Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New format for Asian Championships in 2013?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New format for Asian Championships in 2013?

How about a new format like the one in Europe where you have also a "B" and a "C" Championship for developing countries.

I would propose a 12-team "A" and the rest in "B" Championship.

After witnessing this year's and the past games, blow-out victories over pretty weak opponents don't help to grow but are demoralizing for players.

Nations like Malaysia, Indonesia, Hong Kong, Sri Lanka, Uzbekistan and so on, could learn how to build up without the fear of getting blown-out.

Also, the level of play in "A" would be by far better and more challenging.

What do you think?

I from Wisconsin!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca6O8FR0rbQ

TO SYNTHESIZER WE ARE A BIG TEAM

Originally posted by Mojado View Post
    How about a new format like the one in Europe where you have also a "B" and a "C" Championship for developing countries.

After witnessing this year's and the past games, blow-out victories over pretty weak opponents don't help to grow but are demoralizing for players.

Nations like Malaysia, Indonesia, Hong Kong, Sri Lanka, Uzbekistan and so on, could learn how to build up without the fear of getting blown-out.

What do you think?
    yup i support the idea just like the women's Championship

Comment

Originally posted by mavrick_h View Post
      yup i support the idea just like the women's Championship
      BTW, which level are we now

Comment

Originally posted by babdelkader View Post
        BTW, which level are we now
        Level 1 Don't you remember just a few weeks ago our Lebanese women NT beat India and then Kazakhstan to stay in level 1

Comment

After watching a lot of the games this year, I would even allow only 8 to ten teams to play for the Asian Championships. Blowouts do not help countries like Uzebkistan,Malaysia or Indonesia to grow.

I from Wisconsin!

Comment

After watching a lot of the games this year, I would even allow only 8 to ten teams to play for the Asian Championships. Blowouts do not help countries like Uzebkistan,Malaysia or Indonesia to grow.
            fair point but do you think they will execute this plan in the near future ? i personally doubt that

Comment

Originally posted by mavrick_h View Post
              fair point but do you think they will execute this plan in the near future ? i personally doubt that
              No, but it would be more interesting to see back to back games between the bigger basketball nations and certainly more rivalries that could be good for marketing purposes and so on.

I from Wisconsin!

Comment

If this includes a system of promotion and relegation and was implemented this year, I believe Qatar would not have even dared pull that stunt they did. After all, it would be such a disgrace to be relegated to a lower group due to dick moves made by the coaches.
                Keep running, big boy.

Comment

Originally posted by kerouac82 View Post
                  If this includes a system of promotion and relegation and was implemented this year, I believe Qatar would not have even dared pull that stunt they did. After all, it would be such a disgrace to be relegated to a lower group due to dick moves made by the coaches.
                  yup it is one of the reasons AC needs a new format

Comment

A few blowouts never hurt anyone. How will you set up a multi-level tournament? Who will host the lower levels? Would the total number of teams be capped like with the women?
                    Originally posted by Fedfan
                    Most ppl get childish when they lose.
                    Originally posted by GuTO
                    refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

Comment

What do you think?
                      So what would happen to the champions or the top two finishers of the "B" or "C" categories? Would they be given slots to the next higher category in the next tourney or would this be an end in itself?

Comment

It seems interesting.

For the purposes of discussion though, I wanted to ask: Isn't that theoretically why we have the regional championships? The Western Asia Champions, the South Asia Champions, The Southeast Asia, The East Asia Champions...etc.

There seems to be the real stepladder portion. The way it works is the best teams all emerge from these divisions to play against each other. The second and third place teams also come up.

The developing teams could build against their own division first. Most divisions have at least 1 strong team in their fold and they set the bar for that level.
                        Some of the teams you mentioned, Hong Kong (East Asia), Uzbekistan, (North?) Indonesia and Malaysia (Southeast Asia) first build against teams like Korea, Kazakhstan and the Philippines. Once they get to that level, they move up to the other tournaments.

Maybe we can use that existing structure to implement your idea. With some tweaks. Perhaps this could make implementing it easier since the structure is already there?

For example, the first and second placers can all progress to the Championships while the third and fourth placers first compete in a wildcard tournament against each other. (Which can be your B tournament) The winners in this tournament can then join the Championship round.

The problem lies with some regions who don't have strong teams in their divisions. India for example always emerges as the winner in a very weak south asia division. And they are not a strong team. They need stronger competition and perhaps should be folded into either the West or Southeast Asian divisions.

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglefan97 View Post
                          It seems interesting.

For the purposes of discussion though, I wanted to ask: Isn't that theoretically why we have the regional championships? The Western Asia Champions, the South Asia Champions, The Southeast Asia, The East Asia Champions...etc.

There seems to be the real stepladder portion. The way it works is the best teams all emerge from these divisions to play against each other. The second and third place teams also come up.

The developing teams could build against their own division first. Most divisions have at least 1 strong team in their fold and they set the bar for that level.
                          Some of the teams you mentioned, Hong Kong (East Asia), Uzbekistan, (North?) Indonesia and Malaysia (Southeast Asia) first build against teams like Korea, Kazakhstan and the Philippines. Once they get to that level, they move up to the other tournaments.

Maybe we can use that existing structure to implement your idea. With some tweaks. Perhaps this could make implementing it easier since the structure is already there?

For example, the first and second placers can all progress to the Championships while the third and fourth placers first compete in a wildcard tournament against each other. (Which can be your B tournament) The winners in this tournament can then join the Championship round.

The problem lies with some regions who don't have strong teams in their divisions. India for example always emerges as the winner in a very weak south asia division. And they are not a strong team. They need stronger competition and perhaps should be folded into either the West or Southeast Asian divisions.
                          There are a couple of options that are possible, one would be like you said an additional tournament before the championships like the one before the Olympics.
                          Also, like FIBA Europe had it before adding almost all teams to this year's championships, there could be a system of the "A", "B" and "C" championship hosted by a team in this division. The "C" championship in Europe has been won by Denmark (who gained promotion to "B") this year and has countries like Andorra, San Marino or Malta which are developing their game. It would be football-like where you can gain promotion or you may get relegated if your national-team is descending skills-wise.
                          It's always better for developing countries to play in one division instead of being routed by big basketball nations which is quite negative since building a winning mentality for a coach is important as well as a positive reaction in each of the country's media outlets.
                          Also regrouping India is another thing that should be noticed by someone in FIBA Asia. It's ridiculous that they have to play Sri Lanka, Bhutan and Nepal...even Iraq would have had a pretty good chance to beat them and they cam in last in their zone if I remember right.

I from Wisconsin!

Comment

tournament for 2nd level teams is a must because of the gap between the first but we should not change the format of fiba asia..

make the stankovic cup the 2nd level tournament
                            To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..
                            1 Big 4 small > 5 out offense.

Comment

Works for Europe because Europe is small. Countries are much nearer to each other compared to those in Asia. Because Asia is big, groups are much better divided regionally. Just to illustrate, Cambodia team might not want to travel all the way to, say, Oman for just a FIBA-Asia 'C' game. Too much travel expense but the rewards are just small.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information