Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: FIBA Americas - Day 10 (Medal Round)

Quote Originally Posted by saalsapr View Post
    Would you rather lose by 22 against Brazil and by 2 against a probably washed up Argentina?

Or would you rather lose by 3 in a questionable game against Greece and by 2 against silver world medalist Turkey without Arroyo?
    Or lose to Ivory Coast in the most important game of the tournament...or lose to Trinidad & Tobago (!!!)?

Losing by 2 on the road against "washed up" Argentina is a good result...the glorious 2009 team only split with an understrength Argentina at home, and the legendary 2010 team did much worse than a similarly weakened Argentina team at the WC.

I do agree that Arroyo doesn't add much to the team these days.

This team will be so good I bet we beat the europeans (depending on who they are) by 10-20 points.
    I will take the European teams plus 15 points. We can figure out the terms of the bet over the next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fedfan
    Most ppl get childish when they lose.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuTO
    refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

Quote Originally Posted by JGX View Post
    Or lose to Ivory Coast in the most important game of the tournament...or lose to Trinidad & Tobago (!!!)?

Losing by 2 on the road against "washed up" Argentina is a good result...the glorious 2009 team only split with an understrength Argentina at home, and the legendary 2010 team did much worse than a similarly weakened Argentina team at the WC.

I will take the European teams plus 15 points. We can figure out the terms of the bet over the next year.
    Dude against T&T we where without half of the team, not to mention the bad conditions on the court practically made it a 50-50 game.

No excuse for the Ivory Coast loss, Manolo's just a dumbass.
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Mart View Post
    the land of the free and the home of the brave is the greatest joke I've ever heard. There is no such thing as liberty and the american dream is more overrated than Japeth Aguilar was when u guys found he was a pinoy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by cardenales View Post
    Are players missing for this Tournament of The Americas are:

Are starting front court:

Angel Vasallo SF, Nathan Peavey PF and Peter John Ramos P

The backup: Carmelo Lee SF

Our back up shooting guard and most probable starting shooting guard: David Huertas.

Best big man prospect that should be in this team: Angel Piwi Garcia

Angel Vasallo, Nahtan Peavey, Peter John Ramos Angel Garcia and David Huertas should be in the team for sure.

Others that could be in the team, this ones have really a big shot to be in the team are:

Mike Rosario Combo guard
    Jorge Brian Diaz Pivot

For this tournament at least, but not sure for the olympic qualifer next year were:

Richard Chaney
    Ramon Clemente
    Victor Davila

Still many players missed, and we had a good tournament.
    Puerto Rico highlight of this tournament was the DEFENSE
    Even thoe with all the absentees we had in the tournament are bench was very solid, they really did a good job in every game.

weakness: Offense

I think that we have a good shot for next year olympic qualifier.
    another great player is Rick Apodaca

You say Brazil needs their NBA to be better, but the only guy they really need is Tiago, cause he bring offense and defense. Varejao brings defense, but his offense is almost non existant, Leandro can shoot, but he cant play the defense Giovanni plays. Nene's fat

Until the Gold Medal match of 2009, Brazil had not beaten Puerto Rico in a Fiba Americas competition this past decade. Not even when they won gold in 2005 and both teams had sent their B teams.

Why did I bring Brazil to this conversation? Cause everyone says: "Oh if Brazil had their NBA's in this squad they would be even better". Heres reality, back in 2007 we beat Brazil by 22 points after losing to Argentina, Uruguay, and Mexico. We crushed Brazil even with Leandro, Nene, and Splitter.

Now was Puerto Rico that much better than Brazil back then? No, on paper Brazil was clearly better than team Puerto Rico who had no bench.

Was it an inexperience problem from Brazil? No, Barbosa and co had already played in Fiba Americas before, and Barbosa was in his NBA prime.

Was it because of coaching problems? You got that right. Brazil actually played better without their coach in the bronze medal game than they did with their coach in the second round.

Same story goes for Puerto Rico. Do they have a better squad than the one in Turkey? This shouldnt even be a question.

Is it that the players of this team give more for their country than the ones from the A team? Hell no, Vassallo always had a puerto rican symbol, even when playing in Vtech and dominated Brazil almsot by himself in 09. Peavy was raising his hands everytime one of his teamates made a clutch shot and like Balkman, he shows a lot of passion every game. Huertas always said he wanted to participate with the NT. Only questionable one is Ramos

Could it possibly be that this team then, much like Brazil could have possibly looked better now even with a weaker team, thanks to changing a coach that cant even keep a job in the BSN, for a coach whose won titles in various leagues, and has a history of coaching National teams? I think so.
    man

please don't talk crap

we won the final against complete Puerto Rico in his own home (2009) without Marquinhos and Nene Hilario.

that Brazil had a big internal problems, don't compare 2007 with 2011, today the team is WAY BETTER than that.

Arroyo was the best player in this tournament (for Puerto Rico) and you say he doesn't add much to the team?

who are?
    PJ Ramos - Starting C in 2010

Angel Vasallo - Starting SG in 2010

Carmelo Lee - Starting SF in 2010

Nathan Peavy - Best PF in 2010 but Manolo decided to start Ricky Sanchez who should not even be in this team

Guillermo Diaz - Back up PG/SG in 2010

David Huertas - Back up SG in 2010

And actually there 6 players not 5

Congratulations to the dominicans, you guys deserve the bronce medal , puerto rico obviously didn't came to play tonigh! ...it was embarrassing honestly the way they played.

Quote Originally Posted by GustavoGanso View Post
    man

please don't talk crap

we won the final against complete Puerto Rico in his own home (2009) without Marquinhos and Nene Hilario.

that Brazil had a big internal problems, don't compare 2007 with 2011, today the team is WAY BETTER than that.
    And Puerto Rico didnt have Barea, Peavy or Balkman

How am I talking crap about you guys, I went there with facts not BS.

Yes, big internal problems as in bad coach.
    the land of the free and the home of the brave is the greatest joke I've ever heard. There is no such thing as liberty and the american dream is more overrated than Japeth Aguilar was when u guys found he was a pinoy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by tres equis View Post
    Congratulations to the dominicans, you guys deserve the bronce medal , puerto rico obviously didn't came to play tonigh! ...it was embarrassing honestly the way they played.
    The first half was embarrasing, second half the lead was reduced from 28 to 9. So they tried
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by TDW View Post
    Arroyo was the best player in this tournament (for Puerto Rico) and you say he doesn't add much to the team?

PJ Ramos - Starting C in 2010

Angel Vasallo - Starting SG in 2010

Carmelo Lee - Starting SF in 2010

Nathan Peavy - Best PF in 2010 but Manolo decided to start Ricky Sanchez who should not even be in this team

Guillermo Diaz - Back up PG/SG in 2010

David Huertas - Back up SG in 2010

And actually there 6 players not 5
    JGX probably still remembers Arroyo's crossover on Struddlemire.

Lee and Ricky shouldnt even be in Team A. Diaz should have been in this team as he is better than Mojica, but I would put Holland over him in the London Olympics.

Everybody else we really need, especially Vassallo since were not living or dying from three pointers anymore.

Andres Rodríguez is the real MVP of this tournament though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Dude against T&T we where without half of the team, not to mention the bad conditions on the court practically made it a 50-50 game.
    The only guys you were missing that saw major playing time in the WC were Lee (who sucks), and Vassallo (how'd he do in France last season?), who's okay. Plus you had superstar Arroyo to balance out their absences...Arroyo/Barea/Ramos all played 35+ minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by TDW
    rroyo was the best player in this tournament (for Puerto Rico) and you say he doesn't add much to the team?
    Was it his 2-9 against Brazil in the last group game? Or his 6-17 in the semifinal? You can't seriously say that they played any worse at the WC last year once he got injured.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fedfan
    Most ppl get childish when they lose.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuTO
    refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

Was it his 2-9 against Brazil in the last group game? Or his 6-17 in the semifinal? You can't seriously say that they played any worse at the WC last year once he got injured.
    The tournament wasn't just 2 games, they played 10 games. Against Brazil nobody played well, Alamo and Balkman got their points in garbage time. Against Argentina he didn't shoot very well but played better defense than Barea and kept the team under control (as much as possible) while Barea on most games took bad shots ( Arroyo also tooks some bad shots but not as many).

Last year we lost by 9 against Ivory Coast and just won 1 game the whole tournament. Yes we played better even when we were missing 6 players of the WBC team. A center like PJ Ramos and shooters like Vasallo and Lee make life easier for PGs like Arroyo and Barea, we had none of that in this tournament.

Dont know about you guys, but I think JM Martinez was even better than Al "I'm trying to shoot one footed like Dirk" Horford in this tournament. Probably a big head-case, but a great player to me. Villanueva on the other hand...and the coach is also a joke. Man-to-man against Brazil...and Garcia guards the guards...smh

I from Wisconsin!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca6O8FR0rbQ

TO SYNTHESIZER WE ARE A BIG TEAM

Brasil, does better without their NBA's stars.

Puerto Rico: Missed their frontcourt starters:

Carmelo Lee sf, should not be back in the team, his replacer should be John Holland who perform very well in his international debut.

Nathan Peavey PF

Peter John Ramos P

Back up foward, who should become the starting small forward, Angel Vasallo.

Sg David Huertas

Big man, Angel Luis Garcia, who has to be in the team from now on.

Others that could have a big shot for the America's Tournament are: Richard Chaney and Ramon Clemente.

Guillermo Diaz, should be at least in this tournament of America, even he is not set for the qualifier next year.

Others with chances to make the team next year are:

Mike Rosario, Jorge Brian Diaz and Victor Davila.

We had five important players missing (Peavey, Ramos, Vasallo, Huertas and Garcia) that should be in the team for this America's tournament.

Mike Rosario, Jorge Brian Diaz, Victor Davila (this three players did not receive permision from their NCAA college, but if they were given permision they would make the team), Richard Chaney and Ramon Clemente should be in this team that went to the America's Tournament if they show up to practice. In this team, they should be in for Javier Mojica, Alejandro Carmona, Manuel Narvaez , Alex Galindo and Ricky Sanchez.

This team will be looking like this:

JJ Barea 5"10"
    Andres Rodriguez 5"10"
    Carlos Arroyo 6"2"
    Mike Rosario 6"3"
    John Holland 6"6"
    Richard Chaney 6"5"
    Ramon Clemente 6"6"
    Renaldo Balkman 6"7"
    Daniel Santiago 7"1"
    Jorge Brian Diaz 6"11"
    Victor Davila 6"8"
    Angel Alamo 6"9"

This team was even better than the one we sent.

every team epcet for Venezuela, Cuba, Paraguay and Argentina was missing a lot of players including Brazil
    one thing to consider is that you can only have 12 players on your roters
    ABUSADOR !!!, ABUSADOR !!!, ABUSADOR !!!, ABUSADOR !!!, ABUSADOR !!!

Silvio A, Rick Apodaca was an excellent basketball player but he already past his prime.

You r right, Horford, but Puerto Rico was the team that was missing the most players.
    Last edited by rikhardur; 09-14-2011 at 11:56 AM.

I dont think Puerto Rico would have done better with the missing players. There are too many ego's to be pleased in the team. Lee, Peavy, Ramos, G.Diaz, Vassallo, Huertas...they all want playing time. And you cant have a 12-man-rotation. BTW: Rosario tore his ACL in Brazil. Dont think that he will be back in time for the senior national team. Even if, he wont play, since he has to play college first.

I from Wisconsin!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca6O8FR0rbQ

TO SYNTHESIZER WE ARE A BIG TEAM

Mojado, it was not Rosario who get hurt in Brasil, it was Fontan.

Its true about the egos of those players, but still in talent they are better than the ones who substitute them. Except Ramos, I still think that there are better choices than him for the national team.

If the players with their ego's can sacrifice for the team, then there would be big chances not only to win the qualifier but go big in the olympics.

Quote Originally Posted by cardenales View Post
    Mojado, it was not Rosario who get hurt in Brasil, it was Fontan.

Its true about the egos of those players, but still in talent they are better than the ones who substitute them. Except Ramos, I still think that there are better choices than him for the national team.

If the players with their ego's can sacrifice for the team, then there would be big chances not only to win the qualifier but go big in the olympics.
    If we are taking about egos, I would say that Huertas, Vassallo, and Peavy would have no problem with their role.

Arroyo
    Barea
    Balkman
    Ramos

Are the guys to worry about.

On court, well, the WC 2010 team averaged 16 assists per game against better competition. The FA 2011 averaged 15 assists per game, inluding 7 in the most important game of the Tournament against Argentina, so I dont think there will be much difference.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123