Page 438 of 495 FirstFirst ... 338388428436437438439440448488 ... LastLast
Results 8,741 to 8,760 of 9900

Thread: Philippine PBA Trades, Releases, Sign-ups, Rumours (vol. III)

  1. #8741
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    378
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Just a thought, since GPBP is an "ally" of SMC then why the Terrence Romeo or Pringle trade to Ginebra did not push thru?

  2. #8742
    Senior Member Silent Killer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    18,095
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Money View Post
    Just a thought, since GPBP is an "ally" of SMC then why the Terrence Romeo or Pringle trade to Ginebra did not push thru?
    mark caguioa didn’t want romeo to play for bgsm as he said he wants romeo to grow and make a name on his own. he doesn’t want romeo to share minutes with him and other Guard players of ginebra.

  3. #8743
    Senior Member manu_bol's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    5,392

    Default

    The difference between kia and gpbp is that the latter can afford to give tr and pringle their salaries. Even if kia is independent, it cant afford cs anyway. This is why no marquee smb player was included in the trade because having such would be too expensive for kia. Again, before we think of parity in the pba, we should understand there are rich teams and poor teams.
    smart gilas 1.0:
    98-75-3
    gilas 2.0:
    35-12-1
    gilas 2014:
    14-15-0
    gilas 3.0:
    16-7-0

  4. #8744
    Senior Member Jay P. Mercado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,088

    Default

    There's a major legal issue if the 7 teams against Narvasa decide to leave the PBA and form their own tournament. Yes, they can leave anytime, but the question is: can they bring the players with them? We have to remember that the players signed an official PBA contract, hence, they are not just liable for their mother teams but to the league as well.

    Of course, there are options that can be done. One is for a player to declare that he is retiring. That automatically makes him clear of his PBA contract. Will they take that route? It's not pragmatic nor practical really and I won't subscribe to that approach.

    The PBA may be a house divided for now but I feel a compromise will be reached in the end. I can't see the SMC Group budging though - it's just not in their character. Note though that their arguments are based on technicalities so once those are cleared, they can meet again and discuss.

    The issue, as I pointed out, is how to settle these ambiguous rules on non-renewal and ouster. These are two approaches that will lead to the same result - the removal of the Commissioner in office. But there are two different numbers needed - 7 to not renew, and 8 to oust. The anti-Narvasa bloc is using the not to renew clause while the pro-Narvasa group cited the oust the Commissioner rule. This is the gray area.

    The claim that Mon Fernandez may have misrepresented the league by presiding over the morning meeting as Chairman may have a point but in the end, once the Board convenes again officially, and all 12 governors are there, it is just a matter of formality for a governor in the anti-Narvasa bloc to raise the issue of renewal of tenure. That takes away the technicality issue altogether because now, not only do you have a quorum but it is done in a formal meeting called for by the Board.

    Narvasa's mention of TV5's alleged involvement with a betting company may or may not have its merits but that can be settled in a different discussion and should not serve as a showstopper to the decision on the fate of the Commissioner. This can be done separately, and if found guilty, then the Board has the power to rescind its contract with the network, unless payment is made.

    The question now is...when will the official Board of Governors meeting happen? Who will call such a meeting? Officially, it should be Mikee Romero, or through his underling, Erick Arejola. Arejola has no way of stopping this inevitable meeting so obviously, the next battle will be at the Boardroom on the officially-sanctioned date.

    The next question is - will someone from the pro-Narvasa bloc recommend to have a new Chairman instead of the rotation scheme that's been the practice of the league for several years now? Will the pro-Narvasa bloc want to put their own Chairman instead of Fernandez, accusing the latter of "usurpation of power?" It's going to be complicated and messy.

    I just wished Narvasa simply resigned for the sake of the league. It would do him and his family well had he done so because he won't be perceived as "desperate" to hold on to power. Narvasa can cite his background as a stickler for rules, but in the end, when you have 7 team governors out of 12 who have lost faith and confidence in you, what's there to hold on?

  5. #8745
    Senior Member Jay P. Mercado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,088

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by manu_bol View Post
    The difference between kia and gpbp is that the latter can afford to give tr and pringle their salaries. Even if kia is independent, it cant afford cs anyway. This is why no marquee smb player was included in the trade because having such would be too expensive for kia. Again, before we think of parity in the pba, we should understand there are rich teams and poor teams.
    Your point is valid although it opens more cans of worms. If KIA can't afford to pay these players, what are they doing in the PBA? Plus, I don't buy this alibi simply because getting CS at P150k a month on his rookie year is definitely much cheaper than paying almost P500k for the collective salaries of Tubid (approx P250k), McCarthy (approx P100k) and Reyes (approx P150k). No matter how one looks at it, KIA will still end coughing more for their operational expense in paying these three veterans than just paying CS the minimum P150k?

    Or is it because CS is worth more than P150k? And / or is it because SMC will subsidize the salary of these three players -both illegal in the PBA charter?

    There's the rub.

  6. #8746
    Senior Member live_evil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Bulacan
    Posts
    1,066
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay P. Mercado View Post
    Your point is valid although it opens more cans of worms. If KIA can't afford to pay these players, what are they doing in the PBA? Plus, I don't buy this alibi simply because getting CS at P150k a month on his rookie year is definitely much cheaper than paying almost P500k for the collective salaries of Tubid (approx P250k), McCarthy (approx P100k) and Reyes (approx P150k). No matter how one looks at it, KIA will still end coughing more for their operational expense in paying these three veterans than just paying CS the minimum P150k?

    Or is it because CS is worth more than P150k? And / or is it because SMC will subsidize the salary of these three players -both illegal in the PBA charter?

    There's the rub.
    Hmmm perhaps SGV can look at the books of SMC? It is likely that SMC is doing some magic when it comes to salaries.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  7. #8747
    Senior Member Jay P. Mercado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,088

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by live_evil View Post
    Hmmm perhaps SGV can look at the books of SMC? It is likely that SMC is doing some magic when it comes to salaries.
    SMC won't get this far in the business world without being capable of sidestepping landmines along the way...

  8. #8748
    Senior Member live_evil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Bulacan
    Posts
    1,066
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay P. Mercado View Post
    SMC won't get this far in the business world without being capable of sidestepping landmines along the way...
    Then Kia'S books would provide the clue. Like what Uytengsu said regarding the salary cap math of some teams. Time for a new league, invite Chooks to go, Tanduay, Ayala corp, JG Holdings, Vista Land, and SM to provide financial power.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  9. #8749
    Senior Member manu_bol's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    5,392

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay P. Mercado View Post
    Your point is valid although it opens more cans of worms. If KIA can't afford to pay these players, what are they doing in the PBA? Plus, I don't buy this alibi simply because getting CS at P150k a month on his rookie year is definitely much cheaper than paying almost P500k for the collective salaries of Tubid (approx P250k), McCarthy (approx P100k) and Reyes (approx P150k). No matter how one looks at it, KIA will still end coughing more for their operational expense in paying these three veterans than just paying CS the minimum P150k?

    Or is it because CS is worth more than P150k? And / or is it because SMC will subsidize the salary of these three players -both illegal in the PBA charter?

    There's the rub.
    They are still in the PBA because there is still publicity in losing. Its still effective for brand recognition. Who would have ever though that there is such brand as mahindra?

    Generally speaking, lets say kia can afford the rookie max however financial constraints might prevent it from keeping good players and giving longer contracts. So saan papunta yung mga magagaling? For sure the rich teams will benefit eventually. The draft is not free market but everything outside it is still a matter of teams acquiring the best players money can buy.
    smart gilas 1.0:
    98-75-3
    gilas 2.0:
    35-12-1
    gilas 2014:
    14-15-0
    gilas 3.0:
    16-7-0

  10. #8750
    Senior Member Jay P. Mercado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,088

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by manu_bol View Post
    They are still in the PBA because there is still publicity in losing. Its still effective for brand recognition. Who would have ever though that there is such brand as mahindra?

    Generally speaking, lets say kia can afford the rookie max however financial constraints might prevent it from keeping good players and giving longer contracts. So saan papunta yung mga magagaling? For sure the rich teams will benefit eventually. The draft is not free market but everything outside it is still a matter of teams acquiring the best players money can buy.
    Then that defeats the entire purpose of joining the PBA then. One of the primary criterion in accepting a franchise is to ensure that the Barako Bulls would not come to fore anymore. A franchise using the PBA primarily as a marketing vehicle with no intention to be competitive or even more, to win, should not even be considered. Of course, that's all water under the bridge now as KIA has been there for 3 years already but assuming you're correct, then the PBA Board has the power to wield the axe on the said franchise. Unfortunately, this hasn't even been mentioned as one of the options.

    There's a reason why there's a guarantee bond given by new franchises to the PBA to ensure that they will cover for the operating costs of running the PBA. There's a reason as well why if there's a max salary cap, there's also a floor where no team is allowed to spend less. If KIA cannot afford to retain a player like CS and his rookie salary max of P150k, what more if they need to pay players worth a collective half a mil? It just doesn't add up.

  11. #8751
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    4,218

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay P. Mercado View Post
    Then that defeats the entire purpose of joining the PBA then. One of the primary criterion in accepting a franchise is to ensure that the Barako Bulls would not come to fore anymore. A franchise using the PBA primarily as a marketing vehicle with no intention to be competitive or even more, to win, should not even be considered. Of course, that's all water under the bridge now as KIA has been there for 3 years already but assuming you're correct, then the PBA Board has the power to wield the axe on the said franchise. Unfortunately, this hasn't even been mentioned as one of the options.

    There's a reason why there's a guarantee bond given by new franchises to the PBA to ensure that they will cover for the operating costs of running the PBA. There's a reason as well why if there's a max salary cap, there's also a floor where no team is allowed to spend less. If KIA cannot afford to retain a player like CS and his rookie salary max of P150k, what more if they need to pay players worth a collective half a mil? It just doesn't add up.
    Its more likely a business transaction than Kia not having money. SMB gives kia 3 players, SMB pays their salary + extra money and a draft pick

    I wonder if having 4 of 5 mythical team members has ever happened in other pro leagues. What more if they get 5 with CS lmao. What a joke of a league. I grew up an SMB fan but lost interest around the time when 2 danny's left. I still try to watch on youtube since I want to watch JF play but the passion/fandom is definitely gone.

  12. #8752
    Senior Member GoPilipinas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2,536
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    I saw the interview of al francis chua on cnn philippines facebook man i can't believe how come a guy like him became an SMC official? he can't even talk and he always lying, he said they didn't know that theirs a meeting duh since last day pa kalat na kalat na sa social media na mag-memeeting yung board members. no wonder everytime a SMC player trying to avoid playing for gilas they always gave lame excuses kay chua pala galing script wala kwenta...

  13. #8753
    Senior Member mangangalakal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    3,891
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay P. Mercado View Post
    There's a major legal issue if the 7 teams against Narvasa decide to leave the PBA and form their own tournament. Yes, they can leave anytime, but the question is: can they bring the players with them? We have to remember that the players signed an official PBA contract, hence, they are not just liable for their mother teams but to the league as well.

    Of course, there are options that can be done. One is for a player to declare that he is retiring. That automatically makes him clear of his PBA contract. Will they take that route? It's not pragmatic nor practical really and I won't subscribe to that approach.

    The PBA may be a house divided for now but I feel a compromise will be reached in the end. I can't see the SMC Group budging though - it's just not in their character. Note though that their arguments are based on technicalities so once those are cleared, they can meet again and discuss.

    The issue, as I pointed out, is how to settle these ambiguous rules on non-renewal and ouster. These are two approaches that will lead to the same result - the removal of the Commissioner in office. But there are two different numbers needed - 7 to not renew, and 8 to oust. The anti-Narvasa bloc is using the not to renew clause while the pro-Narvasa group cited the oust the Commissioner rule. This is the gray area.

    The claim that Mon Fernandez may have misrepresented the league by presiding over the morning meeting as Chairman may have a point but in the end, once the Board convenes again officially, and all 12 governors are there, it is just a matter of formality for a governor in the anti-Narvasa bloc to raise the issue of renewal of tenure. That takes away the technicality issue altogether because now, not only do you have a quorum but it is done in a formal meeting called for by the Board.

    Narvasa's mention of TV5's alleged involvement with a betting company may or may not have its merits but that can be settled in a different discussion and should not serve as a showstopper to the decision on the fate of the Commissioner. This can be done separately, and if found guilty, then the Board has the power to rescind its contract with the network, unless payment is made.

    The question now is...when will the official Board of Governors meeting happen? Who will call such a meeting? Officially, it should be Mikee Romero, or through his underling, Erick Arejola. Arejola has no way of stopping this inevitable meeting so obviously, the next battle will be at the Boardroom on the officially-sanctioned date.

    The next question is - will someone from the pro-Narvasa bloc recommend to have a new Chairman instead of the rotation scheme that's been the practice of the league for several years now? Will the pro-Narvasa bloc want to put their own Chairman instead of Fernandez, accusing the latter of "usurpation of power?" It's going to be complicated and messy.

    I just wished Narvasa simply resigned for the sake of the league. It would do him and his family well had he done so because he won't be perceived as "desperate" to hold on to power. Narvasa can cite his background as a stickler for rules, but in the end, when you have 7 team governors out of 12 who have lost faith and confidence in you, what's there to hold on?
    Seeing that the numbers favor the Out group, SMC can pressure Mikee to delay the call of a board meeting. There could be no board meeting at all.
    "Never doubt that a small group of concerned citizens can change the world. Indeed it's the only thing that ever has..."
    -Margaret Mead

  14. #8754
    Senior Member Jay P. Mercado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,088

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mangangalakal View Post
    Seeing that the numbers favor the Out group, SMC can pressure Mikee to delay the call of a board meeting. There could be no board meeting at all.
    Won't happen. The season already started and the tournament will start on 12/17. They have a regular monthly board meeting, if I'm not mistaken, so they can't pass up on that. They're planning a strategic planning session next week at Los Angeles so again, that's something they can't defer.

  15. #8755
    Senior Member analyzed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    13,246

    Default

    this whole situation after hindsight could actally turn into a blessing in disguise. Without the dumb CS trade happening, Narvassa could have been our commissioner for the coming season and the one after. Let's see who shows up tonight for Gilas practice, the savy business people in SMB may decide by releasing Junmar and company to Gilas they may get bonus points in public perception of which bloc is the good guys ( who knows) , they're not losing anything anyway as there no PBA games until December. Really the CS trade could be the sacrificial lamp to allow all this to happen. stranger things happen

  16. #8756
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    502
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by analyzed View Post
    this whole situation after hindsight could actally turn into a blessing in disguise. Without the dumb CS trade happening, Narvassa could have been our commissioner for the coming season and the one after. Let's see who shows up tonight for Gilas practice, the savy business people in SMB may decide by releasing Junmar and company to Gilas they may get bonus points in public perception of which bloc is the good guys ( who knows) , they're not losing anything anyway as there no PBA games until December. Really the CS trade could be the sacrificial lamp to allow all this to happen. stranger things happen
    I really wish that the attentance of Gilas today gets leaked. Drama haha

  17. #8757
    Senior Member Jay P. Mercado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,088

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sikatrix View Post
    I really wish that the attentance of Gilas today gets leaked. Drama haha
    13 attendees:

    JMF
    Japeth
    Almazan
    Gabe
    Troy
    CBC
    Abueva
    Belo
    Pogoy
    Wright
    Maliksi
    Castro
    Jalalon

    Now, hoping that we can still get Blatche and that he's not injured and is in shape, we'll be competitive...

  18. #8758
    Senior Member Jay P. Mercado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,088

    Default

    So Blatche is coming in on the 12th...hope he's confirmed to play for us...

  19. #8759
    Senior Member GoPilipinas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2,536
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    I saw his IG story or his friend IG story around 3 weeks ago he is in the gym training and rehabbing his injury still overwieght but i really hope he is in better condition now.

    may maganda din pala naidulot pagiging tamad ni blatche now bigla naging available lol, kahit 2015 blatche pwede na

  20. #8760
    Senior Member reamily's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    20,393

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay P. Mercado View Post
    So Blatche is coming in on the 12th...hope he's confirmed to play for us...
    MVP has a lot of savings for the botched cs trade hahaha...
    To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..

Page 438 of 495 FirstFirst ... 338388428436437438439440448488 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •