Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Philippine PBA Trades, Releases, Sign-ups, Rumours (vol. III)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IPC View Post
    One commenter did say that the 3-conference format is because there's more playoff games, thus increasing viewership: https://twitter.com/bekshootph/statu...lNJjw9V57o6YGQ

A reply to this is that the viewership will be maintained if the playoff series are longer: https://twitter.com/iamJoweyn/status...lNJjw9V57o6YGQ
    The test is coming. Due to the World Cup. PBA will go to two conferences, if ratings are mid, especially for regular season games, expect a return for the three conferences.

On the PBA having too little games, if thats true, aint the UAAP much worse? 33 games minimum vs 14? Both have preseason games too but the UAAP has more.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sikatrix View Post
      The test is coming. Due to the World Cup. PBA will go to two conferences, if ratings are mid, especially for regular season games, expect a return for the three conferences.

On the PBA having too little games, if thats true, aint the UAAP much worse? 33 games minimum vs 14? Both have preseason games too but the UAAP has more.
      Well, UAAP only has 8 teams and following a double round robin format. Therefore, it is natural for them to have fewer games.

Well, I think that they can relegate All-Filipino Cup in the Pre-Season and re-purpose Governor's Cup as the Post-Season's (not playoffs) invitational. Make the Commissioner's Cup as the season proper.

AFC - Pre-Season tournament
      Commissioner's - Season proper
      Governor's - Post-Season tournament (not the playoffs)

It also possible for AFC believe teams will be divided into two groups (6 each). Top 4 teams from each group will advance to QF. QF will be a cross-over. SF will be a best-of-3 while the finals will be a best of 5. that's 14 games max for a team.

In the tournament proper, teams are allowed to enlist max of 2 foreign players without height cap with only one can play at a time. It will follow the double round robin format with each teams having 22 games. Playoff format will be 5-7-7. The champions in this tournament will be the league's sole season champions. That's 41 games max.

For the invitationals, top 6 teams from the tournament proper will make in this tournament plus 2 guest teams. each teams are allowed to have one foreign player with a height cap except guest teams. we can just follow the Jones Cup format - single round robin, knock-out QF, best-of-3 SF, best-of-5 finals. that's 16 games max.

All-in-all, there will be 71 games max for the whole year.
      Last edited by ja.he; 09-25-2022, 10:22 PM.
      Attack
      defend
      Unite

Comment

• Originally posted by Sikatrix View Post

I think it's more the 11-game single round robin format leading up to the playoffs than the total number of games. Maybe that format just incentivizes coaches going more to their trusted players, and trusting younger players less. Less experiments, although Tim Cone has experimented with players even with the short elims format.

And yes, maybe the longer preseasons helped.
        Last edited by IPC; 09-25-2022, 10:28 PM.

Comment

• Im comparing the number of games in the UAAP to the PBA since Alba's argument is there are too little games for development. Is that even the issue? Or does he mean team cohesion?

Also, obviously, Im of the belief that college ball is more important for development than the PBA since most pinoy prospects really overstay in college.

Comment

• Less regular season games would mean less room for errors. And with less room for errors, it would be difficult to experiment with new players.
            And with the quotient system, every point counts, so that doesn't help the rookies' cause.

Comment

• Agree with RA, so much at stake in elims like twice to beat disadvantage for non top 4 teams...reallyy due to 3 conference format..although I like the playoff setup its just that you can add more elim games, you reward teams who has been performing consistently but you need larger sample size or at least meet teams twice to make it feasible
              To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..
              1 Big 4 small > 5 out offense.

Comment

• Originally posted by reamily View Post
                Agree with RA, so much at stake in elims like twice to beat disadvantage for non top 4 teams...reallyy due to 3 conference format..although I like the playoff setup its just that you can add more elim games, you reward teams who has been performing consistently but you need larger sample size or at least meet teams twice to make it feasible
                The thing is, nobody really watches these elimination games unless it's the big SMC and MVP teams, especially Ginebra and TNT. This is probably why they stuck with the 3 conference format for so long. More playoff games, higher attendance, more profit.

I suggested somewhere in this thread of a Pro-Rel system with the SMC and MVP teams in Division A and the independent teams in Division B, but what I got from that suggestion is "You want more elimination games? Why? Nobody watches them."
                Originally posted by gideon
                Not sure why all on here got salty when the Serbian coach said Gilas lacked any real quality. I mean isn't that glaringly obvious.

Comment

• Originally posted by judasmartel View Post
                  The thing is, nobody really watches these elimination games unless it's the big SMC and MVP teams, especially Ginebra and TNT. This is probably why they stuck with the 3 conference format for so long. More playoff games, higher attendance, more profit.

I suggested somewhere in this thread of a Pro-Rel system with the SMC and MVP teams in Division A and the independent teams in Division B, but what I got from that suggestion is "You want more elimination games? Why? Nobody watches them."
                  Again, nobody is interested to the games of Northport, Blackwater and Terrafirma because they don't have a fanbase. My suggestion is to assign them a city or province (i.e. Bulacan Blackwater Elite, Batangas Northport, Laguna Terrafirma). Even if they that it is a farm team, for as long as they hear and see the name of their place represented, they will watch.
                  Attack
                  defend
                  Unite

Comment

• Originally posted by ja.he View Post
                    Again, nobody is interested to the games of Northport, Blackwater and Terrafirma because they don't have a fanbase. My suggestion is to assign them a city or province (i.e. Bulacan Blackwater Elite, Batangas Northport, Laguna Terrafirma). Even if they that it is a farm team, for as long as they hear and see the name of their place represented, they will watch.
                    There are, thats why pba hate was so bad as people love to watch the underdogs..but I agree that basing them in province team would help

Comment

• Originally posted by leoisiah View Post
                      Less regular season games would mean less room for errors. And with less room for errors, it would be difficult to experiment with new players.
                      And with the quotient system, every point counts, so that doesn't help the rookies' cause.
                      Ok, I get it. Since the PBA is three conferences, all regular season games matter more. So less room for error if you are not in a farm team.

Comment

• Originally posted by reamily View Post
                        There are, thats why pba hate was so bad as people love to watch the underdogs..but I agree that basing them in province team would help
                        I believe a PBA game between Terrafirma and Phoenix will be jampacked in the 6,000-seater Alonte Sports Complex, if Terrafirma carries the name of Laguna.
                        Attack
                        defend
                        Unite

Comment

• Originally posted by ja.he View Post
                          I believe a PBA game between Terrafirma and Phoenix will be jampacked in the 6,000-seater Alonte Sports Complex, if Terrafirma carries the name of Laguna.
                          while phoenix can sell out in Davao since that's Dennis Uy's home turf. Prior the pandemic, I think the PBA has good attendance record in their province road games. Hope they can start playing in the provinces as we slowly go back to normal.

Anyway for starters, I think they need to give away tickets for the elimination rds, or start plying in smaller venues, its pathetic/just bad for business to see a empty arena when the farm teams, cellar dwellers and the public utilities teams who provide overpriced services. Playing at the old Ultra is a good start, hope they play @ the Ninoy Aquino Stadium /PSC (near my condo) so i could watch regularly

Comment

Less regular season games would mean less room for errors. And with less room for errors, it would be difficult to experiment with new players.
                            Meanwhile, the PBA has a D-League which does not function like the D-League in the NBA. The D-League could have been a perfect place to develop underutilized players. But come to think of it, why maintain a farm team in the D-League when you could have a farm team in the PBA itself hehehe

Comment

Meanwhile, the PBA has a D-League which does not function like the D-League in the NBA. The D-League could have been a perfect place to develop underutilized players. But come to think of it, why maintain a farm team in the D-League when you could have a farm team in the PBA itself hehehe
                              Hehe, development should be against pba players, whats development if you dont play the top competition daw haha

Comment

• Originally posted by judasmartel View Post

I think the prom-rel should be based from the standings straight-up. Bottom 2 or 3 go down.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information