X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stanford's Chris Hernandez Signs with CBGranada

From Fresno Bee: Link

Chris Hernandez game to try Spain
    Tough way to lose Saturday - a loss that could crack the will of a team. Enough said. Now the focus has to be on winning WAC games and a conference title. Still, Colorado State and LSU are big games. Sound off on the rest of the season ...

Steve Burnes said: Don't be unfair, E.F.G. Pat Hill, whom I continue to support, has raised fans' expectations and set the definition of...
    [Join the talk!] Advertisements

Former Clovis West High standout Chris Hernandez has taken his basketball skills to Spain.

The 6-foot-2 guard from Stanford signed a one-year contract with CBGranada and was introduced at a news conference Thursday.
    "My coach wanted me to try to speak in Spanish first because I can speak a little," Hernandez said. "But after a minute of struggling I continued with English."

Welcome to Spain, Chris.

Hernandez left Fresno for Granada on Aug. 12, his father, Jose Hernandez, said. He'll begin his professional career in the Basketball Club Association when the 34-game season starts in October.

Chris Hernandez had some concerns before flying to Spain.

"I was worried that I might lose weight coming to Spain," he said. "But I know that won't happen because there's plenty of great food here.

"The most interesting thing that I have seen and have had to get used to is the different time schedule the community has in Spain. Everyone eats later in the day. Dinner is after 10 p.m., and it's been weird seeing families with little kids being out at 11. But I'm used to it now."

During his senior season at Clovis West, Hernandez led the Golden Eagles to a 31-3 record, the league and section championships, and the Southern California championship game where they lost to eventual state champion Mater Dei-Santa Ana. All told, Hernandez helped the Golden Eagles to 134 victories.

"Clovis West were the best memories I will ever have of playing basketball," Hernandez said. "The family comprised of coaches, teammates and fans will never be beat."

At Stanford, Hernandez averaged 12.8 points and 3.8 assists per game. In 2005, he averaged 14 points, led the team with a .901 free-throw percentage and was named first-team All-Pac-10.

"Stanford was the time for me to find myself as a person and to grow up," Hernandez said. "It's a unique environment of talented people that rubbed off on me and enlightened my perspective on life. It also helped me expand my basketball game in many ways to make me a more diverse player."

Hernandez had hoped to land in the NBA, but draft day came and went without a call.

During the summer, Hernandez played in the NBA's summer league in Las Vegas with the New Orleans Hornets.

"Hopefully, I can improve as a player overseas and give the NBA another try," he said.

Current and former NBA players such as Pau Gasol (Memphis Grizzlies), Sarunas Jasikevicius (Indiana Pacers) and Arvydas Sabonis (Portland Trail Blazers) played in Spain.

"Spain is great," Hernandez said. "Thus far, everything is better than I expected.

"The organization from the president to the managers have been extremely welcoming. My teammates and coaches are great people and are helping me adjust."
    http://www.facebook.com/interbasket
    http://www.twitter.com/interbasket
    http://www.interbasket.net
Working...
X

Debug Information