This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dtown View Post
    I hope Puerto Rico gets it in the interest of fairness, and they put on an a very entertaining FIBA Americas a couple years ago.
    Hoping that too.Loved the FIBA Americas there in the coliseo, great atmosphere and the shopping center next to it

I from Wisconsin!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca6O8FR0rbQ

TO SYNTHESIZER WE ARE A BIG TEAM

Comment

According to this, the price for hosting the tournament is 5mln euros According to newspaper's sources close to the situation, price suddenly went up cause France and Spain got direct places in Olympics, previously it was "unofficialy" decided that if France will fail, they'll be hosts, so now FIBA wants to earn as much as possible and raised the price. The main candidate now is Russia, they doesn't care about such large sum of money, they has rich sponsors and already negotiating with FIBA...
      Our federation is poor, but still ain't givin' up and will try to fight. Also according to our federation president Garastas, he heard the rumours that Venesuela is ready to pay 1.5mln euros

Comment

London 2012. Qualification games.

2-8 July
        (The games probably will take place in Puerto rico.)

It might bee too soon for a thread like it, but let's see which countries will fight to earn one of the three first places that leads to London's Olympic games.
        FIBA EUROPE.
        Russia
        Lithuania
        Greece
        FYR of Macedonia

FIBA AMERICAS
        Puerto Rico
        Venezuela
        Dominican Republic

FIBA OCEANIA
        New Zealand

FIBA AFRICA
        Angola
        Nigeria

FIBA ASIA
        2 UNKNOWN counties so far.

As far as I can see the basic candidates for the first three places are from FIBA EUROPE.
        Russia Lithuania Greece and Fyrom.
        Of course Puerto Rico still remains a basketball power in America, and they can upset some of the 4 european teams above.

As for the other countries I don't see how they can get it to London. Of course we might have surprises as well. Take nothing for granted.

Comment

Russia will get in without a doubt.

Lithuania as long as they dont play like they just did in this tournament.

Greece and Macedonia are the questions. Greece cause they where very inconsistent while Macedonia still surprises me how they even got that far.

Besides Puerto Rico(if they have a complete team), Id be wary of Venezuela, they df. got the offense to make it, they just have to get a better defense.

As for Dominican Republic, well, if they can play as a team they have a better chance of making it, but without a bench it will be tough.

Angola shouldnt be counted out, they been to every Olympics so no matter how bad things look for them, they understand the game better than any team out there. Nigeria has poor chance of making it though.

I know nothing of New Zealand, and 2 games against Australia won tell me much of how good or bad they are.

Last repechage had this as top four teams

Greece
          Croatia
          Germany
          Puerto Rico

And every european country finished first in their respective group (including Slovenia) so every non european country has to step their game up.
          Originally posted by J-Mart
          the land of the free and the home of the brave is the greatest joke I've ever heard. There is no such thing as liberty and the american dream is more overrated than Japeth Aguilar was when u guys found he was a pinoy
          sigpic

Comment

We can take nothing for granted but, the basic candidates to reach the London's Olympic games are from the FIBA EUROPE zone.

Russia
            Lithuania
            Greece
            and FYR of Macedonia.

Puerto Rico and Angola can be strong opponents as well. (I don't know how strong is the Puerto rico this year though. )

Comment

Originally posted by Panathinaikos bc View Post
              2-8 July

It might bee too soon for a thread like it, but let's see which countries will fight to earn one of the three first places that leads to London's Olympic games.
              FIBA EUROPE.
              Russia
              Lithuania
              Greece
              FYR of Macedonia

FIBA AMERICAS
              Puerto Rico
              Venezuela
              Dominican Republic

FIBA OCEANIA
              New Zealand

FIBA AFRICA
              Angola
              Nigeria

FIBA ASIA

As far as I can see the basic candidates for the first three places are from FIBA EUROPE.
              Of course Puerto Rico still remains a basketball power in America, and they can upset some of the 4 european teams above.

As for the other countries I don't see how they can get it to London. Of course we might have surprises as well. Take nothing for granted.
              If this tournament goes down in Puerto Rico, you can count Puerto Rico in to win this one. The fans do cheer as hell, witnessed it myself.
              Dominican Republic has also a chance to be very competitive. All they have to do is to get rid of the coach. They need to learn how to defend. And they need a PG since Sosa wont be back at 100% I guess.

Nigeria...Alabi,Udoka,Uzoh,Udoh,Aminu brothers,Lawal,Diogu,Akognon,Umeh,Eze, Oyedeji,Obasohan...the list is long...all they need is MONEY.

I from Wisconsin!

Comment

Greece will be stronger in 2012 with the addition of Spanoulis Shortsianitis Perperoglou and Mavrokefalidis.

Let's not forget that Greece played with a lot of absentees.
                Then again with full roster, we didn't make it very well in the last WC so nothing is for granted !!

But in general, the European countries looks stronger. Even the surprise of the Eurobasket, Fyrom. They have a solid team, and no one knows if they can do it again.

If they won't make it, it will be the first time in Olympic games, that the ex Yugoslavian basketball ''school'' won't have a country in the tournament.

Serbia Croatia Bosnia Slovenia are all out !!!

Comment

We can take nothing for granted but, the basic candidates to reach the London's Olympic games are from the FIBA EUROPE zone.

Russia
                  Lithuania
                  Greece
                  and FYR of Macedonia.

Puerto Rico and Angola can be strong opponents as well. (I don't know how strong is the Puerto rico this year though. )
                  I don' t think so...
                  This olympic qualifying tournament is different than the one in Athens 4 years ago. National teams from America are stronger. Puerto Rico and Dominican Republic have better squad than FYROM. If Puerto Rico gets the tournament, that will be a great advantage for them. Venezuela is also competitive. It seems that Musselman has done a very good job and Vasquez is a great leader.

African teams are also dangerous, especially Nigeria. If Nigerians could bring together all of their USA-based players, they would be very competitive.

Comment

But in general, the European countries looks stronger. Even the surprise of the Eurobasket, Fyrom. They have a solid team, and no one knows if they can do it again.

Did you follow the FIBA Americas Tournament? I guess not.
                    Argentina won it, but Puerto Rico and the Dominicans did pretty well there and should be counted in when it comes to the tickets.
                    I dont see Angola getting by any of the countries from Europe or the Americas. Asia wont do anything here as well.

I from Wisconsin!

Comment

I heard that Russia offered 5 million Euros in order to host this, while the American countries could only offer 2.5 million. Lithuania was talking about 3 million, so we will see who will host it. If it's going to be hosted any place other than Puerto Rico, I doubt that the non-European teams have a chance.

Comment

Russia, Lithuania and Greece, for the good of the game!

The first two seems to be clear favorites even if the tournament would take place this year. Greece with some key players back to the team can make it to the Olympics too.
                        I cannot see hopeful chances for the other teams (FYROM, PR, DR and maybe China) when facing Euro teams in do-or-die matches...
                        https://twitter.com/LuksKasabian

Comment

2-8 July

FIBA EUROPE.
                          Russia
                          Lithuania
                          Greece
                          FYR of Macedonia

FIBA AMERICAS
                          Puerto Rico
                          Venezuela
                          Dominican Republic

FIBA OCEANIA
                          New Zealand

FIBA AFRICA
                          Angola
                          Nigeria

FIBA ASIA

Europeans teams are improving fast, they are mostly close to the american.. Especially the spanish team, this team contains 2 complete teams with no weekness.. Europe teams will have a big deal next 2012 olympic tournament

Comment

Russia
                            Lithuania
                            Greece
                            and FYR of Macedonia.

Angola was dissapointment this year, not that they didn't qualify, but their game level decreased. Surely Cipriano didn't play, but I doubt he could bring them to the level needed to compete for thos 3 spots.
                            On other teams, well, it's important where the tournament will be held, if in Europe - I'm quite sure it'll be all Europe, if in Americas - we might see some fight from PR or Venezuela.
                            Also squads are important of course. Will Liths all be healthy (Kleiza), will Greeks bring back their stars. While I'm quite sure that Russia and FYROM will be at their best if possible.

Comment

Originally posted by samer_1_2 View Post
                              Europeans teams are improving fast, they are mostly close to the american.. Especially the spanish team, this team contains 2 complete teams with no weekness.. Europe teams will have a big deal next 2012 olympic tournament
                              So far how many European teams, have they win the USA? And I mean the real USA team with the NBA players.

Any way.

I haven't watched any AMERICA games and I can't have an opinion. All I remember from Puerto Rico is the games VS Greece.
                              And of course the great P.Ortith. (did I spell his name right?)

But it's true the Europe is coming closer to USA style of game. FRANCE and SPAIN they play fast modern basketball. I like it.
                              Russia and Lithuania are very good teams as well.

Greece is a question mark because we don't know how many of our absentees will play next year.

It will be a very interesting games for sure.

Comment

the way i see it Russia is the strongest
                                then its lithuania and if Kleiza is back along with Russia they will be the strongest teams
                                Greece with the return of Spanoulis and Perperoglou is gonna be the third team ( if only Schortsianitis and Mavrokefalidis would play i would say Greece is as strong as Russia and Lithuania but i really doubt they will be accepted back to NT )
                                Then there is Fyrom and Puerto Rico that have a good chance to qualify for Olympics if they win at least one of the 3 strongest teams

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information