Most underrated European players

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most underrated European players

Let's take a shot Retired players included.

G - Galis (Might sound crazy, but he usually gets underrated because of his short or awkward career right? He could be one step ahead of such players like Petrovič, Marčiulionis)
    G - Navarro (His impact to Spain's dominance is basically the same as Pau's, but only the latter considered as super star. Could be an elite NBA guard while delivering +10ppg in the first (and probably last) season in NBA).
    F - Kirilenko (How good is he? Still few notice him as one the most dominant player of his position in European BB history)
    F - Karnišovas (Never won too much with his clubs, but how much of intelligent and good player he was. Usually unmarked because of Marčiulionis and Sabas presence, but he comes with 17 ppg average in Lithuanian NT).
    C - Chiacig (Probably there are several player for better fit, but this guy always seemed to me underrated )
    Last edited by Straight forward; 08-24-2011, 01:12 PM.
    LTU NT will snatch Eurobasket 2029 title with this roster:

Jokubaitis, Marciulionis, Laurencikas
    Indrusaitis, Brazdeikis, Rubstavicius
    Buzelis, Lelevicius
    Murauskas, Sirvydis
    Tubelis, Krivas

Chiacig underrated?!? He was a decent center (very good in the italian league) but the key player under the basket for Italy NT has been always Marconato...

Karnisovas had great skills and body but he was not a lionheart... he could have been much better given his qualities...

Comment

Paspalj?

Comment

"THE MOST" - Definitely Ömer Onan...

PG: Khalid El-Amin
        SG: Ömer Onan
        SF: Stratos Perperoglou
        PF: Shaun Stonerook
        C: D'or Fischer
        Republic of FENERBAHÇE

Comment

Originally posted by iskoch View Post
          "THE MOST" - Definitely Ömer Onan...

PG: Khalid El-Amin
          SG: Ömer Onan
          SF: Stratos Perperoglou
          PF: Shaun Stonerook
          C: D'or Fischer
          El- Amin and D'or Fischer are Americans. Onan and Stonerook are surely here.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
          Murauskas, Sirvydis
          Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

for someone who didn't win sh@t in club level,i'd argue that Galis is overrated.I see him in lists of top 5 europeans quite frequently(how european he was is another story of course)

Comment

RaÅ¡o Nesterovič is so underated he can't even compete for the most-underated euro player award

Roger Grimau is terribly underated as well, while others I can think of at this moment would most get into "underated only" cathegory.
              Originally posted by Jon_Koncak
              That's funny shit.I cant believe there are sports fans thinking like it.It's like Federer losing to random Japanese player in round 1 of French Open but tournament director stepping in and saying "hey it was a fluke win who wants to watch a random Japanese guy in next round,Federer qualifies"

Comment

Originally posted by Joško Poljak Fan View Post
                RaÅ¡o Nesterovič is so underated he can't even compete for the most-underated euro player award
                Agree. Dominant center. Basically the same story as with Ilgauskas, it's just Nesterovič played for Slovenia NT (maybe constant failures of Slovenia has something to do with that also). While Ilgauskas could had nearly the same career as Pau Gasol if he wouldn't cut NT career and got Lebron a little bit earlier. I'm not saying he's underrated, but I believe few European fans understand how good he was at his prime. The same with Nesterovič.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                Murauskas, Sirvydis
                Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Originally posted by Straight forward View Post
                  Agree. Dominant center. Basically the same story as with Ilgauskas, it's just Nesterovič played for Slovenia NT (maybe constant failures of Slovenia has something to do with that also). While Ilgauskas could had nearly the same career as Pau Gasol if he wouldn't cut NT career and got Lebron a little bit earlier. I'm not saying he's underrated, but I believe few European fans understand how good he was at his prime. The same with Nesterovič.
                  Big Z in his prime was the best Cavs player before Lebron and his skills at his size were matched by only few guys in history...I think he is correctly rated by american media, only some very bitter and quite stupid lithuanian fans are constantly trashing him, but that's expected really

Comment

Originally posted by Straight forward View Post
                    El- Amin and D'or Fischer are Americans. Onan and Stonerook are surely here.
                    Yeah, you are right. I just wrote the most underrated 5 of EL currently...
                    Republic of FENERBAHÇE

Comment

Michael Wright

Comment

On this debates,question continues constantly,on our perception and our perception of other`s perception .Agree,Grimau is underrated ,Strelnieks was underrated hitherto.Now,in Cska isnt uderrated . Chatzivrettas Jankunas,Planinic,Milosavljevic,Lighty,Arslan,Tunc eri,Bramos,Bilan,Raul Lopez,Mekel,Fridzon,Paul Davies deserve places on this list .
                        Last edited by Nemanja; 01-08-2020, 09:24 AM.

Comment

Michael Wright
                          https://mr.bet/at/blog/online-spielothek/cluedo

Comment

Hmm, I would add a few Ex-Yu guys:

- Kresimir Cosic - Terribly underrated in Europe and outside of Ex-Yu countries. For most basketball fans in Ex-Yu countries, Cosic is still the best center to ever play from these lands (Jokic will probably surpass him though, if stays healthy). In the era of bruising centers, he was the ultimate skill player at the position. In many ways, he revolutionized the position and the role of bigs in modern basketball. Yet, very few would go with Cosic when talking about the best European centers.

- Drazen Dalipagic - I believe that Dalipagic is the greatest small forward to play the position from Europe. Incredible story actually, he started playing basketball at age of 19!!! Within 1 year od playing basketball he had a contract with Partizan and was already a force. He played at incredible consistency well into his late age. During his career, he won also 12 medals with Yugoslavia, Olympics 1 gold, 1 silver, 1 bronze, WC 1 gold, 1 silver, 2 bronzes and Eurobasket 3 golds, 1 silver, 1 bronze. Absolute scoring machine. At the time when Italian league was one of the strongest in the world outside of NBA, Dalipagic at age 37, playing for Reyer Venezia averaged 37.7 points per game and even dropped 70 in a single game. Insane performance throughout the career. He was incredibly athletic for that time, with the smoothest jumper, soaring above the ground when he was shooting. His jumpshot was unstoppable.

Comment

Cosic was freaking good, surely well ahead of his time. I remember watching him for the first time in old VHS some 20 years ago maybe, I couldn't believe this is 210+cm center. He ran the floor like a guard, could make some Pete Maravich style shots thnx to amazing flexibility for a big. Such player like Cosic would be great even in nowadays basketball. As somewhere was written he was Sabonis before Sabonis, not totally the same style, but a center who could do it all and play everywhere. Sadly he lived and played during the days when basketball wasn't that global, this way lot of great players of that days are not widely known and gets the deserved recognition. In Lithuania probably Modestas Paulauskas is similar case, also one of the best players back in the days in Europe, even had NBA offers, was a player who was an idol for Sabas generation, but later generations barely recognizes his class
                              From younger class I'd say that not Karnisovas, but Stombergas was a player who didn't get the recognition he deserved. He was amazing team player, very versatile, won Eurocup, Euroleague, Eurobasket, 2 Olympic medals and in most of the cases was key player. But probably lacked a bit of good, healthy selfishness to do good in big clubs, back then, in his prime years, there were foreigner quotas in Europe, so from foreigners there were urgent to have great stats and he wasn't that stats sheets filler, more team oriented player

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information