Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Steve Adams

I have not seen this guy play, Is he Nba ready or he needs to stay in school after this season?

In 13 games, his field goal % is good but what worries me is his free-throw % where he is 34.6%. My recommendation is to stay one more year and work on his game this summer. I don't want him ending up in the bench like many former collegiate centers in the NBA.
    Sacramento Kings
    HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

13 points and 11 rebounds for Adams but Pittsburgh bowed out of the big dance to Wichita State 73-55.
    Sacramento Kings

Kiwi centre Steve Adams had the stats, but Tall Black Rob Loe got the “W” to progress to the third round of the US national college basketball championship.

Playing for the University of Pittsburgh, Adams had a double double of 13 points/11 rebounds, adding two blocks, an assist and a steal in 27 minutes.

But the Panthers had no answer for Wichita State, who prevailed 73-55 and now face the winners of Gonzaga v Southern.

Meanwhile, Loe got the stat that counted – a victory – with St Louis University, who defeated New Mexico State 64-44.

Loe went scoreless and had four fouls in his match-up against 2.25m (7ft 5in) Sim Bhullar.

The result was a record 28th season win for the Billikens – they are dedicating their postseason to the memory of former head coach Rick Majerus, who died earlier this season.

They now await the winner of Oklahoma State v Oregon in the NCAA tournament third round.

The women’s tournament begins Sunday (NZT), with Kiwi centre Megan Craig and her Albany University scheduled to face North Carolina on Monday.

Kiwi basketballer Steven Adams is heading to the NBA

The University of Pittsburgh freshman released a statement today saying that after weighing up his options, he believed it was in his best interest to declare for the draft.

"In discussing options with my family and Coach Dixon, I feel that it is in my best interest to declare for the NBA draft.

"I want to thank everyone at Pitt including my teammates, coaching staff, the administration and the fans who have all supported me over the last year."

His coach, Jamie Dixon, added: "After talking with Steven and his family, we fully support him in this decision. We support him in choosing to pursue his dream and in having the opportunity to provide for his family back in New Zealand. We will continue to stay involved in the process and he will always be a part of the Pitt basketball family."

The 2.13m (seven foot) Adams had a quiet season with the Panthers, averaging 7.2 points, 6.3 rebounds and two blocks per game but has always been predicted as a future NBA star due to his size and athleticism.

It is quite the about face from the younger brother of double Olympic shot put champion Valerie Adams, who as recently as two weeks ago insisted he would return to college.

After his side was knocked out of the NCAA tournament at the first hurdle, Adams brushed off rumours of an NBA move.

"I'm definitely coming back," he told media. "I don't know why you guys keep asking that question. I'm definitely coming back."

Despite not quite living up to expectation in his rookie season in the States, analysts still predict Adams will be a first round pick in this year's NBA draft.

Only two New Zealanders have ever played in the NBA, most notably Sean Marks who enjoyed an 11-year career in the league mostly as a back-up centre. He won an NBA championship in 2005 with the San Antonio Spurs. He is now director of basketball operations at the Spurs and general manager of their D-League affiliate the Austin Toros.

Kirk Penney also made the league but had little success in short stints with the LA Clippers and Miami Heat.

Adams is currently predicted to go at number 19 on draftexpress.com's mock draft. He has been rated as high as number six.

OK now that Steve Adams has declared for the draft, when do you think he will be selected ? lottery, 15 to 20, 21 to 25. Which team would be interested him?

I think he can go as high as 15th. and i see some playoff teams trading up for him

If he does go on the 1st round , which means a guaranteed contract, where will he rank in terms of highest paid kiwi athletes? He should easily trump any of the “all blacks” how about the “All whites” playing in Europe.?

BTW speaking of Adams , I was suprise to see him in town (Wellington) last Friday. It's seldom that you see someone who willl be a millionaire in a few months
    Last edited by rikhardur; 04-10-2013 at 01:00 AM.

Hopefully he gets picked on the fist round, when it comes to salary comparison, well Winston Reid,an All White who is playing in the Premier League for West Ham United is earning about 50,500 Euros/mo., thats about 606,000 US Dollars per year is a small amount to what Steven will be getting as rookie, according to the 2012-13 NBA Rookie Salary Scale, an NBA rookie is getting $4 million plus average,when it comes to Rugby, in New Zealand an average pay for a Super 14 player is $200,000 NZ dollars a year which is about 168,900 US, but if you're an "All Blacks" it's different,top English clubs are prepared to pay £180,000 ($450,000) to £250,000 ($625,000) for recognised All Blacks, with the French offering the equivalent in euros.Steven will be earning a lot more than his fellow professional Kiwi athletes and Steven if he gets drafted and stayed healthy won't be getting hungry for a while

Adams made a good account of himself in the two days of the NBA draft combine. He was as athletic as advertised. Adams also showcased some nifty footwork both inside and outside. Then Adams went on to show his defense and the feathery touch. He was measured as a legitimate 7 footer and had a 7 foot and 4.5 inch wingspan.
    Sacramento Kings

Sacramento Kings

Adams was drafted by the Oklahoma City Thunder at 12th overall.
    Sacramento Kings

Default Pretty sweet location to land in

With OKC not having much to offer at the C, they'll be looking at Adams to develop into a starting-caliber Center in a year or two. I really hope he'll be able to make the strides and become a legit starter for a championship contender.
    Otherwise, he could end up as another Hasheem Thabeet, which is not all that great, to say the least....

Sacramento Kings

Adams looked solid in his debut yesterday. I will watch his game later at 11AM against Orlando via NBA TV.
    Sacramento Kings

Thunder Signs Steven Adams and Andre Roberson

OKLAHOMA CITY, July 12, 2013 – Thunder Executive Vice President and General Manager Sam Presti announced today that the team has signed center Steven Adams and guard/forward Andre Roberson. Per team policy, terms of the deals were not disclosed.

Adams, the #12 overall selection by the Thunder in last month’s NBA Draft appeared in 32 games during his freshman season at the University of Pittsburgh where he averaged 7.2 points, 6.3 rebounds and 2.0 blocks in 23.4 minutes per game.

Adams was named to the Big East All-Rookie Team after ranking first all-time in school history for field goal percentage (.571), second in blocked shots (63) and sixth in rebounds (192) for freshman seasons. After being selected by the Thunder, Adams became the first player from New Zealand to be taken in the first round of the NBA Draft.

Roberson, the #26 overall pick in the draft, joins the Thunder after spending three seasons at the University of Colorado where he saw action in 105 games and posted career averages of 9.6 points, 10.0 rebounds, 1.6 steals and 1.4 blocks in 28.3 minutes per game. Oklahoma City acquired the draft rights to Roberson from the Golden State Warriors on draft night.

After his junior season at Colorado, Roberson was named the Pac-12 Conference’s Defensive Player of the Year while receiving First-Team All-Conference honors. This past season, Roberson ranked second in the nation after averaging 11.2 rebounds per game.

Sacramento Kings

Adams has looked solid in his pre-season games. I think that he will come off the bench during this NBA season. Although with Perkins under a cloud due to an assault charge + a finger injury...anything could happen. Am stoked that there is a New Zealander in the NBA!!
    Lifelong basketball player and fan
    Proprietor of www.nzhoops.co.nz
    NZ and Aus Basketball News

Default Australians in the NBA: Steven Adams

Like Steven Adams? Check this out: http://nzhoops.co.nz/australians-nba-steven-adams/ - an excellent piece by one of our new writers.
    Lifelong basketball player and fan
    Proprietor of www.nzhoops.co.nz
    NZ and Aus Basketball News

Huge day for Steve Adams, his 1st official NBA game, we all remember the 1st games of the greats like MJ, Magic, Shaq etc, hopefully this is the 1st step to a long and fruitful NBA career for Adams, proud to be kiwi !

Sorry for the OT, but I just can’t help but talk about NBA draftee 12th pick Steven Adams unexpected contribution with OKC. You have to understand why I’m really interested in Adams development, he’s from my home town Wellington and is a product of our development system, plus he’s probably the only current NBA player who I know personally. Now going back to his current play, last night’s game vs the Mavs on ESPN international was Adams introduction to the world, ESPN analyst and former NBA coach Jeff Dan Gundy was all raves about Adams, “this guy is a good ” , when Thunders head coach was interviewed before the 4th quarter , he had only good things to say Adams attitude . Here is a guy who was expected to be a project , and relegated to the D-leaguen in his rookie season due to his limited basketball experience , but by season’s end it’s not unrealistic that he could be finishing games for the Thunder over starting center Perkins.

The elbowing incident with Vince Carter really put a smile in my face, you could see Adams is still learning how to play the game, he is naïve, he didn’t even know he was intentionally elbowed by Carter. (not suprising as the kid grew up playing rugby and an elbow is nothing to him) , but the thing is, he just doing his job with the limited skill set that he has, and his damn effective, (9 rebounds and like 2 blocks in 20 minutes), you could see he has a good head screwed on , his attitude to learn the game is incredible. He set’s good screens, runs the floor well, seals his man early, positions well for rebounds. I mean none of these little things are what you call “moves that require great skill” there just honest to goodness fundamental determination to do the right thing, but damn are they effective. Kudos to Steven to listening to his coaches , trainers and just focusing on what they tell him to do. If more players had his mindset they would be a hell lot better players.

Sacramento Kings

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast