Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Free agency summer 2019

Default Free agency summer 2019

It has finally arrived. And even before it officially begins it is already shaping up to be a strange one.
    Darren Collison just shy of his 32nd birthday and with a market value of around $10-$12 million a year retires for religious reasons. That is followed by Nikola Mirotic with similar market value if not more and younger returning to Europe to play for Barcelona for what has to be a massive pay cut.

It's not that massive, usually in USA living cost way more and if he get from Barcelona somewhere in area 2-3 million euros per season , in USA if you sign like 10 mill per year your bank account gets only around 5 million dollars after taxes and you have to find a house from your pocket in Europe you getting house to live and car from teams.

I was listening Kuzminskas podcast interview he played in Ny for one season and explained in detail difference between NBA and euroleague contracts.He sign 4 million dollars per year and he said in europe financially he was getting better offers after taxes and expensive living in New York, but Kuz wanted to try himself in nba.Maybe Mirotic didn't like style in NBA who knows, because you leave such money with only strong reasons.
    Last edited by Shawshank; 06-30-2019 at 12:36 AM.

I wonder if how Mirotic’s season ended with the Bucks had anything to do with his decision. He was a 25+ minute guy all season and in the two final playoff games against Toronto he was limited to only 9 minutes and then completely benched in the other. Very possible that it severely bothered him and along with constantly moving around the league he just soured on the NBA in general.

It appears that two of the big fish on the market are already done deals. Both Kyrie Irving and Kemba Walker will sign identical 4 year 141 million contracts with Brooklyn and Boston respectively. It will become official at 6pm eastern time tomorrow when by rule an agreement can officially be announced.

For Boston Kemba is a nice recovery to losing a Kyrie. Not as efficient or overall as good a player as Kyrie but without the baggage. But the key point to remember is that it was Al Horford’s decision to opt out that opened up the space and allowed them to make this move. So now they have a massive need for a big with no cap room available. They will have to swing a big trade to fill that gap.

Kyrie to Brooklyn is interesting as well. If it includes Durant as well then it’s a no brainer for the Nets.
    But as a swap for Russell and adding another inferior player to Kyrie might be a problem. I think Kyrie has proven that he’s not a number one on a championship caliber team, so there might be a ceiling on the Nets potential. But then again this would be the first time he has truly picked his situation and that might translate in his play. Remember he was traded to Boston and drafted by Cleveland. Sure he okayed the deal but knew it was a short term thing. And he reached an extension with Cleveland for his second contract in 2014 but his options were limited at that time and he signed before LeBron decided to return to the Cavs.
    Last edited by usagre; 06-29-2019 at 10:59 PM.

I have a feeling that Kevin Durant’s decision will be guided by Kawhi’s. If Kawhi goes to the Lakers I think Durant signs the $220 million dollar super max with the Warriors. If Kawhi goes to Clippers then he probably joins Kyrie in Brooklyn. He could also join Kawhi on the Clippers but I think that’s unlikely. Toronto as I have thought since the day they acquired him seems a like a long shot to retain a Kawhi to me.

If the Lakers sign D’Angelo Russell I think it would be fine if the money is closer to 22 million as opposed to 27. Then they can still get another decent player with the remaining money. Maxing our Jimmy Butler is an idea I am beginning to warm to as well. He’s turning 30 when the season starts so he’s got a good 3-4 years in his prime. He is an excellent two way player that isn’t a great but good outside shooter as well.
    For me you can’t do much better than him historically as your third best player on a championship team.
    Very similar role to Klay Thompson with the Warriors in the 2017-2018 title teams.

If I was making the call Malcolm Brogdon would be the best fit for the Lakers. He’s young, versatile, can defend and shoot.
    He’s worth around $20 million and you can still get another great piece at around 10 million. The problem is that he is a restricted free agent and unless you blow the Bucks out of the water they will probably match. And while that process can take 2-4 days, you will be putting a lot of your eggs in one basket and then lose out on other targets while you are waiting for Milwaukee’s decision on whether to match or not. Too risky.

According to reports there are all done deals as well just waiting to be announced when they technically can.

Klay Thompson 5/190 Warriors
    Porzingis. 5/158 Mavericks
    Vucevic. 4/100. Orlando Magic
    Harrison Barnes. 4/88 Sacramento Kings

Usagre, I remember you said quite a while ago that Kyrie wouldn't re-sign with the Celtics and you were proven correct.

Durant to announce his decision tonight. I think the Achilles injury is the X factor. I am 100% convinced that had that not happened and at the height of his powers he was gonna walk and seek challenges elsewhere. Now I think a return to Golden State with the extra year and money contract deal is definitely in play. There’s a vulnerability that he naturally must be feeling coming off this injury.

It seems that in 2016 Olympics USA teammates Durant,Irving and D.Jordan bonded well and they all want to play together in Nets.

I have to say all 3 strange personalities sometimes to understand strange ones you have be one of them.

Main question remains who gets Kawhi Clippers/Raptors/Lakers that's a game changer desicion of entire league for next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank View Post
    Main question remains who gets Kawhi Clippers/Raptors/Lakers that's a game changer desicion of entire league for next season.
    I think Raptors are out. It’s between the LA teams.

Report is that Brook Lopez will resign with Milwaukee 4/52 million. I don’t see how they keep him, Brogdon and Middleton now. I would have chosen the other two. Interesting to see what happens.

Kawhi Leonard in such case would become first finals MVP who left his team after winning, for me it's still hard to believe to leave champions team, but all recent sources are saying it between La teams.

Done deal. Kevin Durant to Brooklyn.

As a New Yorker I remember the 1985 draft when Patrick Ewing was the prize and the Knicks won it like it was yesterday.
    The announcer proclaimed that basketball was back in NYC. Now with Durant and Kyrie going to Brooklyn again it can be said that basketball is back in New York City.

On one conference Durant is putting his friends team, on other conference Lebron is putting one and most NBA GM can just watch and hope maybe somebody will want to put their star team in their city

Quote Originally Posted by usagre View Post
    Done deal. Kevin Durant to Brooklyn.
    ok, this was quite unexpected, wasn't it?
    5 out 6 scientists say Russian roulette is safe.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast