Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: which countries/cities have u been to?

Just came back from SLOVENIA, Koper. Cheap and good food, nice people, very good place to stay for few nights...
    One day the tides will turn
    One day the fields will burn
    One day the seas will churn
    The fury of our maker’s hand

Gotta mention that I spent a week in Portugal recently... couldn't meet up with Rik, though. Hopefully next time, maybe somewhere else...

We rented a car and made a circuit with Lisbon - Cascais (+Cabo de Roca, on foot, about 15km) - Setubal - Portimao - Lagos - Sintra - Lisbon. A lot more to see, but not enough time, unfortunately.

I'd say Sintra was my favorite, and it is really really nice. Awesome gardens and scenery... still a few places left to see (capuchos, montserrat)...

I don't know if it's the time of the year, but the water was too cold to swim (it was actually freezing) both around Lisbon and in the south. Only Porto de Mos was warmer a little... Otherwise, the beaches are amazing, but I guess nobody from a Mediterranean country would be content in Portugal seaside... Maybe, it's the wrong month, again.

Very friendly, quite helpful people... acceptable prices (except for highway; 20 euros for about 300km distance), good food (lots of fish), good drinks (lots of sangria)... I wanted to try snails, which is obviously popular, but couldn't collect enough courage to do so.
    5 out 6 scientists say Russian roulette is safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Levenspiel View Post
    Gotta mention that I spent a week in Portugal recently... couldn't meet up with Rik, though. Hopefully next time, maybe somewhere else...
    I do hope there's a next time

I'd say Sintra was my favorite, and it is really really nice. Awesome gardens and scenery... still a few places left to see (capuchos, montserrat)...
    Lord Byron once said that Sintra was so beautiful that Portuguese didn't deserve it He had some problems here. I do recommend Monserrate and Quinta da Regaleira.

I don't know if it's the time of the year, but the water was too cold to swim (it was actually freezing) both around Lisbon and in the south. Only Porto de Mos was warmer a little... Otherwise, the beaches are amazing, but I guess nobody from a Mediterranean country would be content in Portugal seaside... Maybe, it's the wrong month, again.
    Maybe it was some current or something. In the south the water is usually not very cold (unless I'm already used to it ). Up north you'd freeze!

I wanted to try snails, which is obviously popular, but couldn't collect enough courage to do so.
    Some people really don't like it. I do, it's a delicacy with toasted bread with butter and a beer
    Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
    Artificial Nature

Quote Originally Posted by damelo View Post
    Discovering Russia and Moscow for the next months. Will be nice!
    And what's about your impressions? Moscow and surroundings are very rich on architectural and historical wealth. And we have nice woody landscapes here.

I've spent some time in late July in Spain: stayed in Benidorm for 10 days and visited Valencia for 2 days. Benidorm is nice but rather boring beach resort with tons of skyscrapers but, except one small church, nothing really interesting from the historical viewpoint or originally Spanish (aside from some decent cafees which were sadly overwhelmed by British pubs and chain fast-food restaurants like Burger King). Nice beach, nice hilly landscapes surrounding the town and quality amusement parks of which Terra Mitica stands out for its atmosphere and great location but nothing more - it was all pretty standardized. On the other hand, Valencia is astoundingly beautiful - I was there 16 years ago when I was a school-boy and was shocked by the city's baroque splendour. Obviously I feared that I would be kinda disappointed now when I've grown up and have seen some very interesting cities but that wasn't the case. The city is magnificent - tons of beautifully decorated baroque palacios, very interesting art nouveau (here in Russia we call this architectural style 'modern') buildings and some peculiar Gothic gems like Llonja de la seda, Cathedral and two medieval gates. Even the fact that the city is sorta dirty and messy can't spoil my hugely positive impression. I must add that this city is now officially in my Top 4 of non-Russian cities visited - alongside Dresden, Cairo and Alexandria and over, say, Paris and Prague.

Headed to Tokyo on Sunday. Learning Japanese in two days is no problem, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fedfan
    Most ppl get childish when they lose.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuTO
    refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

Need to add Barcelona. Barca - Rytas game. Sad we lost it, but Rytas played really nice ball for 3qtrs. Btw, A.C.A.B. All robocops are so dumb, unpolite and agresive in Spain?
    Tmorrow night going to Malta for the first time. Heard some good words bout this tiny island.

ive been in new york city,las vegas and california..recently i visited philippines, very nice country you guys should try the famous boracay islands its like a paradise and the weather there is great!

Adding Israel, Tela Aviv. Maccabi - Rytas, but only 2 QTRs, since your A.C.A.B.'s are not very polite

Serbia, Belgrad, Crvena Zvezda - Rytas.

Quote Originally Posted by Levenspiel
    Romania: Ploiesti. Ugly industrial town, millions of stray dogs. Never wanna visit again, but probably will have to.
    Gotta update Romania. Ploiesti is still the same ugly town, but Romania, especially Transylvania, is actually surprisingly beautiful. Both nature and history-wise. Old Hungarian and German towns of Sighisoara, Sibiu, and Brasov with their preserved medieval parts are truly impressive. Bucharest, Cluj and Timisoara are also nice towns, especially the first two. Arad, Costanta, and Oradea were kind of disappointing. As for nature, you gotta visit Sinaia and Zarnesti mountains, and pass through Transfararasan ("the most beautiful road in the world").

Slovenia: Hey, JPF, you've got a beautiful green little country, my friend. Recently spent 4 days in Ljubljana, Maribor and surrounding parts (Lake Bled & Bohinj, Postojna cave, Predjama castle, Skofia Loka, etc). Everything was nice and relaxed, except for parking; a country where free parking is impossible!

Slovenia: Hey, JPF, you've got a beautiful green little country, my friend. Recently spent 4 days in Ljubljana, Maribor and surrounding parts (Lake Bled & Bohinj, Postojna cave, Predjama castle, Skofia Loka, etc). Everything was nice and relaxed, except for parking; a country where free parking is impossible!
    Sounds like a busy schedule, but nevertheless you should give me a call next time you're here man I know where to find the best beer, made a PhD from nightlife and I know all these little secrets about the hidden parking spots

Quote Originally Posted by Joško Poljak Fan View Post
    Sounds like a busy schedule, but nevertheless you should give me a call next time you're here man I know where to find the best beer, made a PhD from nightlife and I know all these little secrets about the hidden parking spots
    Hehe, yes, definitely.
    It was quite busy actually, and we started the days at 7:00am, not to be punished for parking !
    My gf is Hungarian from Serbia, and she loved Ljubljana... it's a cool town. what is the story with those shoes hanging over the street with umbrealla lamps (Trubarjeva cesta?)?

Hehe, yes, definitely.
    It was quite busy actually, and we started the days at 7:00am, not to be punished for parking !
    My gf is Hungarian from Serbia, and she loved Ljubljana... it's a cool town. what is the story with those shoes hanging over the street with umbrealla lamps (Trubarjeva cesta?)?
    Hehe good parking strategy Honestly I have no idea what those shoes are all about and you're not the first one to ask, google says it was some sort of a protest against former primer minister, but I fail to understand it.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415