Thread: Kobe scores 81, some WC champions will be scared... (recovered)

Default Kobe scores 81, some WC champions will be scared... (recovered)

(originally posted by wardjdim, 01-22-2006, 11:50 PM)

wardjdim
    01-22-2006, 11:50 PM
    So, will he scare the other teams now? Some will believe he is unguardable, but they dont consider team D and the other aspects of the International game, plus the fact that he scored 81 points, but in one of the 82 games of his NBA season...

In other words, I dont believe that this high scoring game will affect the opinion (or the scare...) of his WC potential opponents.
    DanMajerle
    01-23-2006, 12:05 AM
    No, it won't affect anything. Kobe won't get 46 shots, especially not with these teammates. And if he does, good for the other teams, then Team USA will lose. Kobe is no MVP, he does not want to get his teammates involved and that's why these stats occur, nevertheless, you have to give him respct for the individual performance.
    Sigma
    01-23-2006, 12:19 AM

Fear? no.

But i think it brings respect. Thats why i think it is good thing Kobe is in WC team (not yet on team, he is among 20 camp participants, but i think its near lock he is among 12 players who will play in Japan). Opponent SGs need to respect his offense, they can't cheat or leave him any space.
    Saskibaloia
    01-23-2006, 12:46 AM
    No, it won't affect anything. Kobe won't get 46 shots, especially not with these teammates. And if he does, good for the other teams, then Team USA will lose. Kobe is no MVP, he does not want to get his teammates involved and that's why these stats occur, nevertheless, you have to give him respct for the individual performance.

Nice statment. I'm with you. He's a HOG but when you score 81 you've got to show some respect.
    johny walker
    01-23-2006, 03:15 AM
    Scoring 81 is great,and my hats off.But how will Kobe's need for 28 shots per game affect team chemistry on team Usa.Joking aside Kobe will dominate(and probably win mvp ) in 2006 worlds.All team usa needs is to suround him with Lebron,KG, and a good point guard.Then you can add few role players(shooters,Rebounders,deffenders) and you have team that should win gold.It will be interesting to see who actually gets selected to play because i can't imagine Iverson,Wade,Tmac sharing the ball with Kobe that much.
    Matiz
    01-23-2006, 04:56 AM
    Basketball would be too easy if it'd generaly depend it all on stopping one man.

Scared? generally a win against US is almost a gift by god itself (doesn't matter if it's because of US bad selection, stupidity or coincidence) for which any team should be grateful considering the players US team has, so I think other player only consider the games against US as a great chance and a game you can give 100% as an underdog and not some game to be afraid of...

most teams will play zone defense anyway, which ussually undermines the top scorers in the opposing team and requires court awareness and discipline over having top notch scorers doing all by themselves...
    BBallfanJ
    01-23-2006, 05:02 AM
    Like him or not, what Kobe did was amazing, and the main thing is he brought his team back to win a game they shouldn't have won. What he did was strike some fear into the hearts of players for other WC and Olympic NTs. When your second best player is LeBron James, this team USA is shaping up to be a very tough team.
    wardjdim
    01-23-2006, 05:18 AM
    What he did was strike some fear into the hearts of players for other WC and Olympic NTs. When your second best player is LeBron James, this team USA is shaping up to be a very tough team.

Rosterwise they are, although their frontline is not known yet and there are some doubts about their major big men.

However, there is little relationship between the NBA and the International game, so the stars' impact could be even negative for the USA Team...
    mvblair
    01-23-2006, 07:09 AM
    And keep in mind that the NBA's "zone defense" that Sam Mitchell supposedly used last night against Kobe isn't really a zone. It's just if players lose their man, hopefully somebody else will pick him up...

Matt
    L8DBACK
    01-23-2006, 07:31 AM

Whether he gets his teammates involved or not, that will be up to Coach K. Coach K will have to determine what's best for his USA Team. Teamwork will be Coach K main concern for the WC and the Olympics. Why would you think USA Basketball want a three year commitment from the players who will be on the USA Team.
    stuart
    01-23-2006, 08:27 AM
    So, will he scare the other teams now? Some will believe he is unguardable, but they dont consider team D and the other aspects of the International game, plus the fact that he scored 81 points, but in one of the 82 games of his NBA season...

In other words, I dont believe that this high scoring game will affect the opinion (or the scare...) of his WC potential opponents.
    As amazing and awe-inspiring as what Kobe did last night, that kind of performance is saved for the NBA. The same kind of individualism won't fly as easily in the international game. Thats my opinion.

Stuart
    BBallfanJ
    01-23-2006, 08:40 AM
    I think you missed my point on this (no disrespect). I didn't mean that the team will be scarry because Kobe or LeBron or whoever will go off for 60+. What I meant was that these guys are capable of bringing their team back to win even when the rest of the team is off.
    L8DBACK
    01-23-2006, 09:32 AM
    As amazing and awe-inspiring as what Kobe did last night, that kind of performance is saved for the NBA. The same kind of individualism won't fly as easily in the international game. Thats my opinion.
    Can you tell me if anyone in international competition ever single handed won a basketball game by pouring in a great number of points?
    Nikoo
    01-23-2006, 09:39 AM
    Drazen Petrovic, Oscar Schmidt...Dirk in Eurobasket2005
    Saskibaloia
    01-23-2006, 09:48 AM
    And my main man Andrew Gaze of Down Under
    FRANKY 13
    01-23-2006, 09:48 AM

Can you tell me if anyone in international competition ever single handed won a basketball game by pouring in a great number of points?
    Nikos galis had 45 points against Sabonis' USSR in the EC 89 semifinal,Greece winning the game 81-80.

In the EC 95 final,Sasha Djordjevic had 41 as Yugoslavia won against Lithuania 96-90.

In other words last time I can remember a player winning a(important) game almost on his own was a long time ago.

Happens(and Kobe is one of the very few able to do it...) but definitely isnt the rule... :rock:
    Phantim3dx
    01-23-2006, 10:04 AM
    i woke up this morning to read the news before classes, un frikkin believable. respect to him on his abilities of course! but im still a kobe hater, 81 points may have done it but im sure there was no team work. somebody mentioned about the zone defense being used. THAT WAS RUBBISH! playa please the "zone defense" supposedly used in the game that night was BS, i think if boeheim ever saw such a zone put into play he would die not from his resurrection of prostate cancer but from the general lack of implementing proper zone defense; hence my regards on intl compeition, sure therell be some teams that will be intimidated( i wont use the word scared) but the ones who have proven themselves thus far( i am not here to hate on anyone's nt) like argentina and others wont be as intimidated or even intimidated @ all by the like's of kobe. i dont know if this was an answer you people wanted in terms of simplicity.
    canastad3
    01-23-2006, 11:59 AM
    Kobe CAN'T score so many points in a FIBA field, because it's not so wide and long. There are more big men in the paint, and it's harder to score inside. And it's not easy for an Nba player take the shot from 6'25, when they are used to shoot from longer zones.
    wardjdim
    01-23-2006, 11:37 PM

Drazen Petrovic, Oscar Schmidt...Dirk in Eurobasket2005
    Bodiroga in the 2002 WC Final game vs Argentina!!! What a show!
    Last edited by stuart; 05-04-2006 at 04:41 PM.

I don't think any strong team will be startled. Kobe, he's a ball hog, same as Iverson. There used to be a thread about Iverson not being invited to Team USA. As I see it, this is the main reason. I sometimes think that Sergio Hernandez is a bit of a chatterer (and I hope he concentrates on his team, instead of talking about others), but I agree on what he said about him.

... If you want to play like a team, you must leave out Iverson first," he said. ...
    You look up the word ball hog in an encyclopedic dictionary, just look to the right of the definition, and you don't get a photograph of Allen Iverson just because Kobe Bryant is a more renowned one. Here's proof to say it's not just me who thinks that way. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ball_hog

But IMHO it is more detrimental for teamplay to have a pg ball hog, than to have a sg one. Mainly because the pg is the player that administers the ball mostly. These kind of players make some NBA matches look like one-on-one/two-on-two streetball ones. It seems to me that in some nba teams, the fundamentals of basketball are forgotten (Blame their respective coaches). Such is the case of the current LA Lakers. I was only wondering what goes on Kobe's Laker-teammates head, how do they feel during the game about always giving the ball to Kobe to take the shots. I think they might feel quite unsuitable in the "team".

To sum up, team USA is better off without Iverson. About Kobe: If USA doesn't play consistently as a team, and make Kobe play as he does in Lakers, that is, depend on Kobe, I believe they won't have it easy against tough teams, like Lithuania, Serbia & Montenegro, Spain, Argentina, Italy and Brazil.

To the admins:
    I hope my login/pw database info doesn't get lost, after giving my opinion of Iverson, as I know you won't share my judgement.
    Last edited by carlosGC; 05-11-2006 at 10:58 AM.