Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 138

Thread: RIP (Dead basketball players thread)

  1. #41


    Lorenzo Charles, whose dunk in the final seconds of the 1983 National Collegiate Athletic Association national championship game propelled North Carolina State University to victory over Houston and himself to the realm of basketball legend, died on 27 June 2011 when the charter bus he was driving crashed in Raleigh, N.C. He was 47.

    North Carolina State announced the death. It occurred on Interstate 40 as Charles was driving a bus for Elite Coach. News reports said the bus, which had no passengers, veered off the highway and sustained heavy damage to its front end. The police did not immediately comment on how or why the accident occurred. Charles had been a bus driver for 10 years.

    His moment came in his sophomore year, when he leapt to rebound a teammate’s shot that fell short of the basket and jammed the ball through the hoop, giving the Wolfpack a 54-52 victory.

    Like the clutch performances of Michael Jordan for the University of North Carolina the year before and Christian Laettner for Duke in 1992, Charles’s game-winner has become emblematic of the N.C.A.A. tournament. It has been shown thousands of times on television, as has the image of the victorious N.C. State coach, Jim Valvano, darting across the court looking for someone to hug. Charles said that not a day passed that he was not asked about it.

    The title game, in Albuquerque on April 4, 1983, pitted the Wolfpack against a Houston team that had been ranked No. 1 in the nation. The high-flying Cougars were led by the future Hall of Famers Hakeem Olajuwon and Clyde Drexler. The Wolfpack, by contrast, had a 17-10 regular-season record. In beating Houston, they became the first team to win a national championship after losing 10 games.

    When N.C. State guard Dereck Whittenburg hoisted a 30-foot desperation shot with only seconds remaining, Charles was directly under the hoop. He said many times that he immediately knew it would fall short. After his dunk, he glanced at the clock and saw there were two seconds left. He later said he had never understood why the Cougars did not call a timeout. “At the time, I didn’t realize the magnitude,” Charles said in a 1996 interview with The NY Daily News. “I didn’t realize what I had done.”

    Lorenzo Emile Charles was born in Brooklyn on Nov. 25, 1963, and grew up in the Starrett City housing project near Jamaica Bay. Growing to 6 feet 7 inches, he played basketball for Brooklyn Technical High School, from which he graduated.

    In 1983, before advancing with his team to the N.C.A.A. finals, Charles sealed a 71-70 victory in an Atlantic Coast Conference tournament game against Wake Forest with a 3-point play. In the N.C.A.A. tournament, he hit two free throws with 23 seconds left to beat Virginia, 63-62, in the West Region final.

    Charles played two more years at N.C. State, finishing with 1,535 points. He was the 41st pick in the 1985 National Basketball Association draft, by the Atlanta Hawks. He played only 36 games for the team, averaging 3.4 points.

    Charles then played professionally in Europe and South America and for minor league teams. In the early 2000s, he coached the Fargo-Moorhead Beez, a North Dakota team in the Continental Basketball Association.

    He is survived by his parents, a sister and a daughter, an N.C. State spokesman said.

    Here is another news item (very extensive report) on Lorenzo Charles

  2. #42


    A story related to the death of Wes Leonard we covered in this thread.

    Fennville basketball team in the running for an ESPY


    The courage and determination of the Fennville Boys Basketball Team could earn them a top honor from ESPN. The team was in California this morning for tomorrow's ESPY Awards. They were nominated for "Best Moment of 2011" for their emotional journey through the state tournament without star player Wes Loenard. Wes died back in March after making a game winning basket to lift the team to a perfect regular season. The team found the strength to continue on into playoff action where they won the Class C district title against Covert. They did it all in Wes's honor. They fell short of a state championship though, losing in the regional semi-finals.

    The other nominees up for best moment are Phillies pitcher Roy Halladay who tossed a playoff no-hitter and Nascar driver Trevor Bayne who became the youngest winner of the Daytona 500 in February.

    End of story

    See also video

  3. #43


    Here is a sad news form Dearborn Michigan - Just when will we stop getting violent on "basketball arguments" I don't know

    Basketball game killing shocks Dearborn Arab community

    A year after an 18-year-old man was stabbed to death outside of an ice skating rink on July 13, 2010, tragedy struck the Arab community again on July 13, 2011 as another young man was shot multiple times and killed.

    The incident happened after a pick-up basketball game near Riverside Academy West on the city's east side just off Schaefer Road.

    Thousands of mourners came out to pay their respects to Hassan Zeidan at the Islamic Center of America on Thursday, July 14 as emotions ran strong. The victim was believed to be 23-year-old Hassan Zeidan by friends who had arrived on the scene as numerous police officers secured the area. He was later confirmed as the victim, although police had not released his name officially as of press time.

    On July 14 at 8 p.m., thousands of people came out to the Islamic Center of America in Dearborn to pay their respects to Zeidan, offering condolences and prayers in a massive showing of community unity and support following the tragedy.

    Mourners at the Islamic Center were mostly overcome with grief as they walked up one-by-one to view Zeidan at rest in his coffin. Many of them questioned why a promising young life could be lost over a simple game of basketball.

    Witnesses said Zeidan was killed after an argument over a game played by between six and eight people led to a fight, following which the shooter went to his car to retrieve a gun.

    According to witnesses, the shooter pulled up to the parking lot where the game was being played and fired multiple shots at the victim. The single basketball goal where the game was being played rests in an area near the school, ACCESS, and the Islamic Institute of Knowledge just off of Schaefer Road.

    Imam Husham Al Husainy, the director of the Karbala Islamic Center nearby, said he had been lecturing about 100 young people at the center during a commemoration event for last year's stabbing victim, Mohamad Abboud, about the importance of avoiding violence and conflict, when loud gunshots were heard outside.

    The alleged shooter fled the area of the basketball game and ran toward the center after being chased and attacked by other players who had witnessed the shooting. He had been bleeding, possibly from having shot himself in the foot accidentally according to an eyewitness.

    Al Husainy said he tried to prevent others from continuing to attack the alleged shooter in retaliation until the police were able to arrive. He came out of the scuffle with blood on his cloak from the alleged shooter. He also said that the shooting victim's father fell down and had what may have been a heart attack after arriving on the scene.

    The alleged shooter was in police custody and was also taken to Oakwood Hospital with injuries. Police on the scene had no comment on the situation as they continued to gather evidence.

    "This is a tough life lesson, we need to teach our youth how valuable life is and as parents and the community we all have a role," Al Husainy said.

    He also said that the location was noteworthy in that it occurred near a school, mosque and community center and said that all three need to do a better job of teaching conflict resolution and the value of life in light of recent tragedies.

    "We need more wisdom to learn how to avoid conflict otherwise we'll keep losing in an expensive way," he said, adding that he's been in the community for about 30 years.

    "We need to close the gap between the older generation and the youth," he added. "This is a live example of what could happen if we don't increase the passion, wisdom, and faith of the community."

    Mohamad El Salmen, 24 of Dearborn and a friend of Zeidan, was inside the mosque when the incident happened.

    "It's sad what's happening, we had just come out of the commemoration (for Abboud) when we found out," he said.

    "Some people are falling in with the wrong lifestyle and we're losing too many young people in the community."


    Man Charged In Basketball Court Shooting

    A 34-year-old man has been charged in connection with a shooting Wednesday on a Dearborn basketball court that killed one person.
    Fadi Hassan Faraj was arraigned Friday on charges of first-degree murder and felony firearm. He is being held in the Wayne County Jail without bond.
    Witnesses on the court, which is behind Riverside Academy on Schaefer Road, told Local 4 that the 35-year-old Faraj told another player, 23-year-old Hassan Zeidan, that he had better stop guarding him so closely or else he was going to beat him up. They said Zeidan responded by punching Faraj.

    Witnesses said Faraj then went to his car, pulled out a gun and shot Zeidan several times. One witness was lecturing a group of children at the Islamic Center next door as it all happened on the court.

    "We heard shots, we came out. I think it was the most expensive lesson to this young man and to their parents to see what I was telling them, to see it alive in front of their eyes," said witness Imam Husham Al Husainy.
    According to witnesses, after Faraj finished firing, he tried to run, but the other people on the basketball court chased him down and started beating him up. In the scuffle, he shot himself in the leg. When police arrived, the other players were holding him down in the parking lot.
    "We have to get in their mind before they start shooting and trigger the gun. We should get in their heart and mind and teach them better than that. We cannot afford to lose our youth," said witness Al Husainy.


    There is a Facebook page for the victim Hassan Zeidan with wonderful tributes if you care to visit and leave a message
    Last edited by worldbasketball; 07-17-2011 at 06:55 PM.

  4. #44


    Three very sad news items



    Lamar Odom 'devastated' as 15-year-old boy dies following horrific crash with chauffeured car carrying NBA star


    A 15-year-old boy has died of severe head injuries following a collision with a chauffeur-driven SUV carrying basketball star Lamar Odom. The boy was rushed to hospital and underwent emergency surgery in New York City, but he died the next day.
    Odom, who was in the city to attend his cousin's funeral, was left 'devastated' by the tragedy, and witnesses saw him crying at the scene.
    He was sitting in the back seat when the accident happened on Thursday, in his old neighbourhood of Jamaica, Queens. His chauffeur-driven vehicle collided with a motorcyclist, and the bike then slammed into the 15-year-old pedestrian.
    Both were taken to Elmshurst Hospital with serious injuries. The boy died on Friday morning, and his family held a funeral service on Sunday, TMZ reports.
    His name has not been released.
    The motorcyclist had only minor injuries, including 'road rash' and a fractured ankle. He was later released from hospital, a spokesman said.
    Initial reports suggested the Los Angeles Lakers star's wife, Khloe Kardashian, was also in the car.



    Canadian Teen Dies at Aspen Basketball Academy in Colorado

    A Toronto teenager died this week after collapsing at a basketball camp in Colorado, authorities say. Emergency responders received a 911 call Monday afternoon reporting that a boy had collapsed at the gym at Aspen high school.
    Quinn Issiah Everring, 16, of Toronto was "semi-conscious," the PitkinCounty Sheriff's Office said in a news release, and those on the scene reportedly started CPR in a bid to revive him. Paramedics arrived and took the boy to hospital, where he was pronounced dead, the release said. Everring had apparently just arrived in Aspen that morning to take part in the basketball camp.

    The sheriff's office said the cause of death would be released after an investigation post-morten exam. A local media report noted that Aspen is about 2,400 metres above sea level, while Toronto is about 75 metres above sea level. There was no immediate indication whether the altitude played any role in the boy's death.



    Pinellas inmate collapses, dies while playing basketball


    A Pinellas inmate collapsed and died Monday afternoon while playing basketball, the Pinellas County Sheriff's Office said.

    Mario Quntray Burks, 32, had played for over two hours and a total of six games of basketball with other inmates when he collapsed about 1:12 p.m., the sheriff's office said. Burks, of Gulfport, Miss., was transported to Northside Hospital in St. Petersburg and pronounced dead just after 2 p.m., the sheriff's office said.

    Burks had been in jail since July 1 on a U.S. Marshal's hold, according to the sheriff's office jail website. The Pinellas County Medical Examiner's Office will perform an autopsy on Burks. Burks' death doesn't appear suspicious but the case remains under investigation, the sheriff's office said.

  5. #45
    Senior Member Mojado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Little Tobago


    Lorenzen Wright's family wants 2 Mill because Police had no internet.

    I from Wisconsin!


  6. #46


    Darius Brown, a 13-year-old boy who was shot and critically wounded while playing basketball on August 4, 2011 on the South Side, Chicago has died. The boy was playing basketball with others at Metcalfe Park in the 4200 block of South State Street when somebody inside a southbound vehicle opened fire with a handgun.

    Family members identified the injured boy as Darius Brown. They said he was in critical condition at University of Comer Children’s Hospital. Police said he was shot in the neck. The Cook County Medical Examiner’s office said early Thursday the boy had died.

    Brown’s family said the teen was playing basketball in a park just two blocks from his Bronzeville home when he was shot in an apparent drive-by.

    “Those guys who shot him are cowards,” said Brown’s sister, Paris Morrison, 23, as she waited outside Comer for updates on her brother’s condition.

    Morrison and another sister, Arrius Brown, described their brother as a good kid too focused on basketball to have time for gang bangers. “He’s a good kid,” Arrius Brown said. “All he does is play basketball.”

    The sisters said Darius was about to go into eighth grade at Holy Angels Elementary School. The sisters said Darius had been playing basketball every day at the park about two blocks from his Bronzeville home, dreaming that one day he might play professionally. He loved Derrick Rose and the Bulls player’s poster was on his bedroom wall.

    Here is testimony about him by hid friends and teammates,6853614.story

    Another video footage

    Last edited by worldbasketball; 08-05-2011 at 05:50 AM.

  7. #47


    Mike Barrett, a member of the 1968 U.S. basketball team that won the gold medal at the Mexico City Olympics, has died on August 8, 2011. He was 67.

    At 6-foot-2, Barrett was considered too small to play major college basketball and starred at West Virginia University Tech in the mid-1960s. He joined the Navy afterward and was part of an armed forces team that competed at the Olympic trials in Albuquerque. Members of the Olympic team were selected from various squads.

    In a 2008 interview with The Associated Press, Barrett, who had retired as an account executive and lived in Nashville, said that walking out to a packed stadium for the opening ceremonies was overwhelming. "I thought nothing in my life athletically is going to top this," Barrett said. "Then when you're on the medals stand for the ceremony and they raised our flag and played the national anthem, it shows how shortsighted you can be sometimes."

    The Americans survived Olympic pool play, beat Brazil in the semifinals and defeated Yugoslavia in the gold medal game, 65-50. "It was a fabulous ending for an opportunity to represent the country," he said. But he was too nervous to properly appreciate it at the time. "The pressure that we were under, we had never lost a basketball game," Barrett said. "The media in general didn't think much of us. You went down and you were just focused on not embarrassing the country and not embarrassing yourself. "You couldn't enjoy the moment. As I've gotten older, I've certainly learned to do that."

    Barrett was named the 1968 Amateur Athlete of the Year in West Virginia. He would later play several seasons in the American Basketball Association. Tech retired his No. 10 jersey in 2003.

    He is survived by his wife, Carolyn, and his brother, Scott Barrett, of West Virginia.

  8. #48


    Former Princeville basketball player Leah Whittaker lost her eight-month battle with cancer on Tuesday morning. She was 19 years old. She died in August 2011.

    The 6-foot-3 center was diagnosed with stage four colon cancer, which had spread to her liver and lymph nodes, in December 2010 during an appendectomy. She received treatment at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., and for a time earlier this summer was part of a clinical trial in Washington, D.C. But those efforts were unsuccessful.

    Whittaker was a third-team Journal Star all-area selection in 2010 and received a basketball scholarship to Indiana Wesleyan University.

    After her diagnosis and during treatment, she was able to attend a few of her college team’s games and even was able to cut down the net after Wildcats won the conference championship.

    “The testimony that Leah will leave on the team is that we watched her go through all this with an immense amount of courage and she never lost her faith in God,” said Indiana Wesleyan women’s basketball coach Steve Brooks. “It was her prayer that through it all, whether she was healed here on Earth or up in Heaven, that her life would be a testimony to those who she came into contact with. She was successful in doing that.”

  9. #49


    Hall of Fame girls' basketball coach Carroll Rugland passed away at the Franklin General Hospital Nursing Facility.

    Rugland, 76 and a member of both the National High School Coaches Association and Iowa Girls Coaches Association Halls of Fame, posted a career record of 735-245 in 41 years of coaching at Bennett, Montezuma and Hampton-Dumont.
    Leading teams to 15 state tournament appearances and was head coach at Montezuma when the school won back-to-back six-on-six state championships in 1969 and 1970 while also in the middle of a state-record 89-game win streak.
    Rugland retired from Hampton-Dumont following the 1998 season and was a coaching influence on many area coaches, including Waterloo West's Dr. Tony Pappas.

  10. #50


    Louisiana Tech Hall of Fame coach Scotty Robertson died following a lengthy illness. Robertson was a Tech legend, and the long-time basketball coach was inducted into the Louisiana Tech Hall of Fame in 1998.

    "Scotty Robertson is one of the all-time greats at Louisiana Tech," said Tech Athletics Director Bruce Van De Velde. "His legacy lives on through the many student athletes whose lives he has influenced in such a positive manner. Our thoughts and prayers go out to Scotty and his family."

    A Tech graduate, Robertson played one year of professional baseball before deciding to move in a different direction as he began coaching high school basketball. During his 12 years on the high school level, including eight at his alma mater of Byrd, he registered an overall mark of 163-91.

    Robertson was then hired by former Tech President F. Jay Taylor in 1964 where he coached the Bulldogs for 10 years, compiling a mark of 165-86. In addition to leading Tech to three Gulf States Conference titles and two NCAA Tournament appearances, he also coached the program to a No. 1 ranking in the national college division in the early 1970s along with star forward Mike Green.

    Following his college stint, Robertson moved to the professional ranks where he spent more than two decades in the NBA with nine different franchises. He served as the head coach for three teams, including being the first head coach ever for the New Orleans Jazz. He also spent time as a head coach for both the Chicago Bulls and the Detroit Pistons.

    He was a member of the Phoenix Suns staff in 1992-93 when the franchise advanced to the NBA finals before falling to the Michael Jordan-led Chicago Bulls. Robertson also coached in two NBA All-Star games.

    He is a member of the Louisiana Tech Hall of Fame (Class of 1998) and the Louisiana Sports Hall of Fame as well as numerous others.

  11. #51


    Sherman White, an all-American forward at Long Island University of Brooklyn whose prospects for a brilliant N.B.A. career with the Knicks were shattered by his involvement in the 1951 point-shaving scandal that shook college basketball, died Aug. 4 at his home in Piscataway, N.J. He was 82. The cause was congestive heart failure, his wife, Ellen, said.

    In the winter of ’51, his senior season at Long Island University (L.I.U.), White emerged as perhaps the finest player in college basketball. An agile 6 feet 8 inches, he was leading the nation in scoring with an average of more than 27 points a game. He was adept at rebounding, jumping, handling the ball and running the court. The Knicks were expected to select White in the N.B.A. draft, and he was told by his coach, Clair Bee, that they were going to offer a lucrative contract.

    But only days after "The Sporting News" named him college player of the year, White and several L.I.U. teammates were arrested in February 1951 on charges of accepting bribes from a professional gambler. The players, in exchange for the bribes, affected the outcome of games, essentially by keeping margins of victory below the established point spreads to create betting coups. Players from powerful teams like City College, Bradley and the University of Kentucky were also implicated in what became a national scandal.

    White, a consensus all-American in his junior year, was accused of taking bribes involving several L.I.U. games in his junior and senior seasons, one of them a loss to Syracuse in the 1950 National Invitation Tournament. He led detectives to $5,500 in bribe money he had hidden in an envelope taped to the back of a dresser drawer at his room in a Brooklyn Y.M.C.A.

    White was sentenced to a year in jail in November 1951 on his guilty plea to a misdemeanor conspiracy charge and served nearly nine months. Together with the other players in the scandal, he was barred from the N.B.A.

    Sherman White was born on Dec. 16, 1928, in Philadelphia but grew up in Englewood, N.J., where he starred for an unbeaten Dwight Morrow High School team in 1947.

    When Madison Square Garden marked the 50th anniversary of the college game there in 1984, White was named to its all-time team of collegians who had played at the old or new Garden, and he was introduced as “the virtuoso of New York basketball.”

    In addition to his wife, White is survived by his daughter, Marcell White-Arcudi, from his marriage to his first wife, Doris, which ended in divorce; three stepchildren, Laurie Badami, Shelley Lane and Wilbert Lane; a brother, Robert; and a sister, Rebecca Davis.

    White played basketball in the semipro Eastern League and worked in sales for a New Jersey liquor distributor, but he focused as well on coaching and mentoring inner-city youngsters. He did volunteer work with a community development center in Orange, N.J., and, as he related it to Charley Rosen for his book “Scandals of ’51” (1978), “I’ll tell a kid about my involvement in the scandals if I think it will do him any good.” The basketball courts at Mackay Park in Englewood were named for White in 2010.

    If not for the scandal, White might have propelled the Knicks to N.B.A. supremacy at a time when the Minneapolis Lakers and center George Mikan were dominating the league. “Sherman would have put us over the top,” the Knicks Hall of Fame guard Dick McGuire told The Record of New Jersey in 1999. “We would have won championships with him. What you see now with Kevin Garnett, Marcus Camby and Lamar Odom, you saw Sherman doing back then. He was well before his time.”

  12. #52
    Senior Member Buran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Country: Iran


    Iran national team F, Aidin Nikkhah-Bahrami (Samad Nikkhah Bahrami's older brother), died in tragic car accident in December of 2007 at the age of 25. Without him Iran wouldn't have won it's first Asian Championship in 2007 (against Qatar, he scored 25 pts 6/10 3pts, to help Iran advance to the next stage)
    RIP, Aidin, he will be missed at the upcoming Asian Championship (he would have been 29).

  13. #53
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010

    Default Mike Barrett

    Just to add that Mike Barrett was also a member of the USA national team competing in the 1967 World Championship in Montevideo, Uruguay. USA finished 4th in the tournament with a 4-2 record.
    In the ABA Barrett played from 1969 to 1973 with the Washington Capitols, Virginia Squires and San Diego Conquistadors, averaging 13.4ppg in 3 years. After the 1969-70 season he was named to the ABA All Rookie team.

  14. #54


    Marc Hannibal has died at age 80 on July 23, 2011. He was an actor, a singer and a Harlem Globe Trotter player.

    In 1954, Hannibal was recruited by the Harlem Globetrotters and toured with the team for two years. He then played with Marques Haynes' barnstorming team, the Harlem Magicians.

    Hannibal made his TV acting debut in 1963 on CBS and starred in several variety shows, including "Hannibal's Trunk." Hannibal guested on series including "Dragnet," "Adam 12" and "Mission Impossible" and appeared in films including "Airport," "Fools," "The Strangers in 7A" and "The Grasshopper." In 1976 he produced and starred in a variety show called "On the Strip," live from Las Vegas.

    As a singer, he headlined nightclubs across North America in the 1960s. He recorded two albums: the first, anonymously titled disc was for Philips, the second, "Night Times," for independent label First American. In 2002 his song "Forever Is a Long, Long Time" was sampled by Royce Da 5'9" for the latter's song "Boom," as well as on the soundtrack of MTV's 2001 telepic "Hip Hopera: Carmen."

    Here is Marc Hannibal singing his song "Forever Is a Long, Long Time"

  15. #55


    Florida A&M basketball player Shannon Washington died on 4 September 2011 after suffering a knife wound to her neck, the school announced. Tallahassee Police responded to a report of a stabbing and found Washington in an apartment. She was treated at the scene by police and EMS and later died at Tallahassee Memorial Hospital, police said.

    Starquineshia Palmer, 20, who was visiting Washington for the weekend, was detained and charged with first-degree murder, police reported. "Our hearts and prayers go out to Shannon's family and members of the Lady Rattlers Basketball Team," said Florida A&M president James H. Ammons. "For Shannon to be killed in the prime of her life is tragic and senseless. She had so much promise as a student athlete. This is a great loss for the university and our athletic program."

    Washington, a shooting guard, was named an all-American in two seasons at Illinois Valley Community College before transferring to Florida A&M during the offseason.

  16. #56


    All Conor Smith wanted to do was play basketball. A brain tumor and Leukemia didn't stop him. But chemotherapy almost did nearly two years ago.

    In 2009 Conor was cut from the Eagan Traveling Basketball Association because he missed mandatory tryouts due to chemo. Six weeks later a team from Mendota Heights picked him up.

    "It's going good. I like it here. It's fun, I like my teammates," Conor said in a 2009 interview.

    Conor spent all of 8th grade on the team. He continued to be active until he couldn't anymore. Conor relapsed in June and died Friday at just 15 years old.
    "He had a lot of determination and just a drive to do the best he could," Will Kuenster, a former teammate on the Mendota Heights team, said.

    "It was cool to see that he could participate with us even if he had to take a break every once and a while," Matthew Johns, also a former teammate, said.

    Tim Smith, Conor's dad, said even though the cancer hurt his body it never hurt his spirit. The teenager still loved basketball, still loved helping others and still loved laughing. Conor's story made waves through the Twin Cities athletic community reminding even his own coach what sports is really about.


    Please also check a video of the young man and his story and what friends say about him

  17. #57
    Senior Member CKR13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Roanoke, VA
    Country: United States


    So tragic and lamentable. Justice be brought for Ms. Murphy.

    Sacramento Kings

  18. #58


    Terneil Rhodes, a former star athlete at Petersburg High School, became the third homicide victim of the year for the city of Petersburg after the 22-year-old was shot at the Jefferson South of the James Apartment complex. Police were dispatched to the apartment complex in the 1800 block of Boydton Plank Road just after 3 p.m.

    When officers and EMS arrived at the apartment complex, they found Mr. Rhodes, of 545 Selbon Street, suffering from a gunshot wound to the back. Mr. Rhodes was rushed to the hospital where he later died.

    Recently, Mr. Rhodes studied at Brunswick Community College where he played basketball and currently was attending Virginia State University, where he was majoring in Physical Education.

  19. #59


    Former Ocoee High basketball player Bob Deronvil died Saturday night in West Palm Beach while running up and down the court in the game he always played with a passion.

    The Palm Beach Post reported Deronvil collapsed during a recreational game in the Student Life Center at Northwood University in West Palm Beach, where he was considering trying out for the varsity team as a walk-on. Deronvil was an Ocoee senior last season.

    "It's a huge loss," former Ocoee coach Jason Thorndill said Monday morning. "Bob was one of the best leaders I've seen in my 10 years of coaching in Florida. His favorite thing to say whenever I was discouraged or things weren't going great on the court was, "I got this, Coach", or "We've got this, Coach".

    Deronvil played on Ocoee's junior-varsity team as a ninth-grader in the school's third year, then played varsity the past three. He was one of three team captains as a senior and started some games while primarily serving as the first guard off the bench. He averaged 2.7 points as a 5-foot-11 guard.

    "Whether Bob started or came off the bench, it never changed his enthusiasm at all," said Thorndill, who no longer is coaching but remains a teacher at Ocoee. "When he was on the court, it was 100 percent, all-out. If he was on the bench, he was leading the cheers. There's not a lot of kids you can say that about."

    Thorndill said Deronvil was on Ocoee's homecoming court last year and was involved in student government. "There was not a more well-liked kid in terms of attitude around the campus," Thorndill said. "When he came here, this school was still a lot of transfer kids coming together with no real history. Bob was a major foundation of what Ocoee basketball is right now."

    Thorndill said his understanding is that Deronvil was taking classes and was considering trying out at Northwood — one of the nation's top NAIA Division II teams — but had not gotten medical clearance. "Bob was getting ready to try out for a spot,'' Thorndill said. "I've heard there may have been an underlying heart problem they found, but I'm not sure. With us, he had a couple issues of shortness of breath. He was actually checked out medically and was cleared to play for us.",4391837.story

  20. #60


    Former Iowa basketball recruit James Speed passed away in Las Vegas on Wednesday of complications from liver cancer, according to a release. Speed, 61, is survived by his wife of 36 years, Sylvia, and a son, daughter, and three stepchildren.

    The Louisiana native played junior college basketball at Imperial Valley Junior College in El Centro, Calif., and received scholarship offers from more than 85 schools once his JuCo career was complete.

    The 6-7 forward signed with Iowa and then-coach Dick Schultz in 1970. But
    before he could play a game with the Hawkeyes, though, a sinus infection caused by meningitis led to loss of sight in both of Speed's eyes.

    A medical malpractice lawsuit following the incident has been credited with changing Iowa malpractice law to allow experts from outside the state to testify in cases in the state.

    Speed would overcome his blindness to work as a basketball coach, radio basketball announcer, and in real estate. He spent the last 36 years in Las Vegas with his wife.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts