European zones coming?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• European zones coming?

In a more recent interview with Vasilakopoulos, he said that in a discussion with a very important person of European basketball (probably Bertomeu, although he did not want to mention any names) Uleb wants to get rid of the Eurocup, because there is no interest, many teams can not cover the expenses and uleb can not make a profit.

The best solution is a few Mediterranean league model competitions where teams in different zones will be selected based on geographic and economic criteria. The best teams of those leagues will play in the Euroleague. There will be no Eurocup and probably no domestic leagues.

In other words, the domestic leagues will become international zones and the Euroleague will be the only continental league.

Here's the source:
    http://www.superbasket.gr/permalink/140070.html

He said that ULEB wants to achieve this within the next five years.

Great idea if you ask me.
    What do you think?
    Last edited by Victorious; 05-19-2011, 08:53 PM.
    PAO EUROPEAN CHAMPION 1996 - 2000 - 2002 - 2007 - 2009 - 2011

Sounds great at first. But I don't think it can or should remove the domestic leagues. Top teams will fight in the EL, that's ok. The next group of selective teams will join their zones that's also fine. But how about the remaining ones that will not be able attend either league. That's more than half of the current european bb clubs. There has to be some kind of domestic leagues running.
    One trophy is always better than no trophies
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Inm7muXAnIM

Comment

Originally posted by s-e-e View Post
      Sounds great at first. But I don't think it can or should remove the domestic leagues. Top teams will fight in the EL, that's ok. The next group of selective teams will join their zones that's also fine. But how about the remaining ones that will not be able attend either league. That's more than half of the current european bb clubs. There has to be some kind of domestic leagues running.
      The article does not mention anything about the domestic leagues, but my best guess is that they will not have any attention.
      Can´t see how the domestic leagues will be running economically without the bigger teams. But that´s just me. Remember, all the teams with deep pockets and fans will be part of the European zones.

For now, we´ll have to wait and see what exactly they are planning.

Comment

Sounds intersting.

I'll prefer to see the EL, and below the European zones as 2 or 3 are down from EL and 2 or 3 promotion from the European zones to the EL every year.

After that, the Domestic Leagues in the same conditions with promotion and relegation.
        2022/2023:
        PG: Brown, D-BA, Ziv
        SG: Baldwin, Hollins
        SF: Hillard, Pnini, Menco
        PF: Martin, Colson, Cohen
        PF: Nebo, Poyters, Sorkin

Comment

Originally posted by Roy M View Post
          Sounds intersting.

I'll prefer to see the EL, and below the European zones as 2 or 3 are down from EL and 2 or 3 promotion from the European zones to the EL every year.

After that, the Domestic Leagues in the same conditions with promotion and relegation.
          I see what you mean. You propose tiers with a promotion and degradation system. The problem is though that teams without deep pockets or a large fanbase will theoretically be able to reach the European zones and the Euroleague.

If teams with no fanbase will reach the European zones, we will witness empty arenas once again. Moreover, smaller teams from the domestic leagues do not have the necessary economical recourses to be part of an international league.

Comment

I think it's good as it is. Just no one invests money in EuroCup and tournaments like that, so all the attention comes to Euroleague even despite that EuroCup basketball is really good and quite high level there for teams. Domestic leagues should be the top ones for every country and that's the ground rule of me, otherwise why we need any borders for local and foreign players (I know this probably will be removed) and things like that.

My thoughts here are probably difficult to understand because I'm myself can't explain what I want to say. Shortly - no no no, no way.
            I'm on twitter

Comment

New Euroleague!!

Euroleague CEO Bertomeu confirmed that the Euroleague is working on a new system in which Euroleague teams will compete ONLY in the Euroleague and exit the domestic league. According to him, this is based on the demands of the teams.

link:http://www.superbasket.gr/permalink/142525.html

Comment

Originally posted by Victorious View Post
                Euroleague CEO Bertomeu confirmed that the Euroleague is working on a new system in which Euroleague teams will compete ONLY in the Euroleague and exit the domestic league. According to him, this is based on the demands of the teams.

link:http://www.superbasket.gr/permalink/142525.html
                Just Euroleague? How would teams be able to keep a competitive rhythm? Unless the system is completely changed... I mean completely. But anyway, this would generate all kinds of unpredictable situations. How would national leagues survive? What if a poor team becomes a giant in a national league? Would they enter Euroleague? But what's the point of becoming a giant if they don't? Where will top teams get their players from? Their farm teams? This would mean a major shift in European basketball, for the worse imo. Europe is not the US and Euroleague is not the NBA. Which teams want something like this?
                Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
                Artificial Nature

Comment

I think this is going to happen sooner or later, an NBA style euroleague.

Just think about all the developments ULEB have been making over EL
                  *A license stuff, and the conditions to get it.
                  Strong finance, wide marketing potential and you're in
                  Growing up best players, serving bb in real meaning, hmm not enough (partizan)
                  *Minimum capacity requirements for halls. Well this is understanable and perhaps necessary, but it is also a sign that ULEB cares a lot about marketing.

If I could understand correct what ULEB have in mind, an NBA style EL is inevitable. It's just a matter of time to see it.
                  One trophy is always better than no trophies
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Inm7muXAnIM

Comment

Originally posted by rikhardur View Post
                    Just Euroleague? How would teams be able to keep a competitive rhythm? Unless the system is completely changed... I mean completely. But anyway, this would generate all kinds of unpredictable situations. How would national leagues survive? What if a poor team becomes a giant in a national league? Would they enter Euroleague? But what's the point of becoming a giant if they don't? Where will top teams get their players from? Their farm teams? This would mean a major shift in European basketball, for the worse imo. Europe is not the US and Euroleague is not the NBA. Which teams want something like this?
                    Don't know the details yet. They are working on it. There will probably be a promotion-degradation system. I don't think it will destroy European basketball. Top teams who have a 25 to 40 million euro budget coundn't possibly afford to play in a league with scrub teams.

It's only a matter of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Victorious View Post
                      Don't know the details yet. They are working on it. There will probably be a promotion-degradation system. I don't think it will destroy European basketball. Top teams who have a 25 to 40 million euro budget coundn't possibly afford to play in a league with scrub teams.

It's only a matter of time.
                      Top teams 'with 25 to 40 million euro budget' are the root of the problem , not the solution.

Any system that needs a constant outside inflow of resources ( e.g. rich owners ) is doomed & recent developments just reveals it once again.

Rich owners give some teams uncompetitive advantage over others by draining talent pool from smaller clubs and rendering some competitions ( mostly national league) completely useless.

There is one thing needed to rescue European basketball: let them live by what they earn. It will solve basically all problems:

1) lower over-blown players salaries
                      2) switch clubs' mindset from appeasing of the owners, to appeasing of spectators , will attract more fans to the arenas thus giving more income
                      3) will bring back smaller clubs/national leagues competitiveness: reduced prices will allow smaller clubs to get more or less talented players without risking getting unreal budget. Again it will add to public interest/ to ALL clubs income

Comment

Originally posted by s-e-e View Post
                        What if the zone's have a division b, c, etc.?
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X

Debug Information