This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• National Basketball League Of Canada

Great news for basketball in Canada! I have been waiting a long time for an announcement like this!

Official Website:
    National Basketball League of Canada

Facebook Fan Page:
    http://www.facebook.com/nblcanada?sk=info

Twitter Page:
    NBL of Canada (NBLCanada) on Twitter

London based franchise?

It seems a London based Club is vying for a franchise. While Oshawa, Kingston, Barrie and Moncton are also vying for a franchise.

Read latest breaking news, updates, and headlines. London Free Press offers information on latest national and international events & more.
    Sacramento Kings
    HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

Comment

Tip Off in Fall

Canadian basketball league to begin in fall

THE CANADIAN PRESS

Three Canadian basketball teams are banking on the prospects of a new professional league in the country.

The Halifax Rainmen, Saint John Mill Rats and Quebec Kebs have joined forces to form the National Basketball League, set to begin its inaugural season in October.

While numerous basketball franchises and leagues in Canada have failed to survive in the past, Andre Levingston is confident they'll be the ones to buck the trend.

"We thought the time was right," Levingston, the president and CEO of the Rainmen, said in a phone interview from Halifax. "There's definitely a thirst and passion for the game of basketball in the country.

"We thought, if there ever was going to be a time to do it, it was now. The country needs it and wants it and we want to bring it to them."

The Rainmen, Mill Rats and Kebs -- who all left the Premier Basketball League after this past season amid complaints of poor management -- are the league's only three teams thus far.

But Levingston said he's received commitments from Kingston, London and Barrie, Ont., and has had interest from officials in Oshawa, Windsor and Kitchener, Ont., along with Moncton and Fredericton.

A league stipulation would see at least two Canadian players on each team.

The World Basketball League -- which included six Canadian teams -- was founded in 1987 by a group that included NBA Hall of Famer and Boston Celtics great Bob Cousy. That league, which had a height restriction of six-foot-five and under, folded in 1992.

The all-Canadian National Basketball League, which included eight teams, started up the same year but barely got off the ground, folding after less than two seasons.

"I don't know why the other leagues failed," Levingston said. "We feel we have timing on our side, for one, and I don't know if the teams were getting the corporate support that we're getting, and I guarantee you they wouldn't be sitting with these individuals in the '90s that we had today with us."

One of those individuals was Sam Mitchell. The former Toronto Raptors head coach, a longtime friend and business associate of Levingston's, was at Thursday's news conference in Halifax to announce the new league.

The Rainmen, Levingston said, averaged more than 4,000 fans a game last season.
      -Sports.Net-Canada
      Sacramento Kings

Comment

This is fantastic news!! I'm really glad that they've got something going. If they can just make it viable; find some way for it to make money.
        "I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas

Comment

This great news indeed for Canadian basketball. I love the logo.
          Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
          Artificial Nature

Comment

An article from SLAM Magazine Online about Canada's NBL
            Sacramento Kings

Comment

I hope eventually they get some western teams. Maybe Vancouver, Kelowna, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, etc.

Comment

NBL Awaits fee from franchise applicants

Moncton and four other Ontario based teams (Oshawa, London, Kingston and Barrie) are expected to pay an initial fee in the form of deposit cheques as a step towards membership of the NBL. Deadline is this coming Friday.

Sacramento Kings

Comment

Moncton franchise in jeopardy

Moncton could miss the deadline for franchise membership of the League due to owner dis-organization where the hierarchy is not defined and organizers for Moncton have yet to submit a formal letter of intent to the NBL.

Sacramento Kings

Comment

It seems that canada invited a chinese NBL's team to join the league.

Comment

Chinese media are reporting that the league has invited teams from China, Japan and Puerto Rico while the league is covering all the expenses.

I highly doubt that this is feasible financially.
                      aim low, score high

Comment

From Japan, I hear names like the Shizuoka Gymrats and Tornadoes Hoops (トルネード) as guest teams.
                        Sacramento Kings

Comment

According to reports, a Japanese Ownership Group are expected to submit a Letter of Intent for a franchise that is to be based in Moncton that will feature Japanese Players from Sendai. This was confirmed by C-NBL President Andre Levingston.

Sacramento Kings

Comment

National Basketball League of Canada eyeing a Ten Team Inaugural Season
                            Sacramento Kings

Comment

It looks like there will be at least 8 teams this coming season. London, Oshawa, Kingston, Barrie and Charlottetown PEI have submitted applications and deposits before the deadline. Nothing is formalized from Moncton NB and Laval QC, but that could change.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information