Philippine Boxing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Philippine Boxing

Philippine Boxing isn't all about the one and only Manny "Pacman Pacquiao (52-3-2 38 KOs) and Nonito "the Filipino Flash" Donaire (26-1-0 18KOS). There are other pinoy pugs wanting to share the spotlight as well. Some are up and comers, while some are former world title challengers.

Let me list my top pinoy boxers of today in random order (excluding Pacquiao and Donaire):

1.Bernabe Concepcion (28-4-1 15KOs) - Lost to Juan Manuel Lopez via 2nd round TKO (who btw was crushed by Orlando Salido), but not before flooring him in the 1st round. He also lost to Steven Luevano via DQ (nice acting by Luevano).
    Anyways, this guy is still a hot commodity. He's got power and speed but lacks defense and boxing IQ. BTW, he's got a fight the night before Pac vs Mosley.

2. Milan Melindo (24-0-0 8KOs) - is the hottest ALA Gym prospect in the Philippines. Don't let his KO ratio deceive you, this guy has become pretty strong since acquiring the services of strength and conditioning coach Pio Solon. He is known for his great boxing fundamentals and quick and very, very, very, accurate punches. He's got no problem with going the distance as well. His list of victims include former IBF Jr Flyweight and Viloria tormentor Carlos Tamarra, former world champion Muhammad Rachman and Mexican Guadalupe Martinez. This guy is going to be a future world champion.

3. Lorenzo Villanueva (20-0-0 19KOs) - trained and managed by North Cotabato Governor Manny Pinol. Don't be deceived by his record. He's all power. No boxing fundamentals at all. His punches come from all angles without any regard for his defense. He is set to train with Edwin Valero's trainer...who said that this prospect from the Philippines fought like Valero when he first handled him....

4. Alex John Banal (24-1-1 19KOS) - another ALA Gym prospect and former WBA interim flyweight challenger. After losing to Panamanian Rafael Concepcion, he has racked up seven consecutive wins against worthy opponents (you might call some of them bums, but do check their records) like former world champion Luis Alberto Perez, Big Yoo (epic fight) and Francis Miyeyusho.

more to come...

i think banal will be trained by garcia (trainer of nonito)...

Comment

I think there are a couple of very minor Filipino boxers who will fight before the Pacquiao/Mosley match. They are in the "warm up" matches. They are from Pacquiao's gym, so I'm sure that they are fighting as part of the terms of the contract between Pacquiao and Mosley.

Nenito Donaire is the other big name in Filipino boxing. He beat Dontiel and Darchinyan. Darchinyan broke Nenito's brother's jaw, so it was nice justice for Donaire to win. They're fighting again soon. He held the fly and bantam divisions at the same time.

Then there is Donnie Nietes, also known as "the snake." He's been the minimumweight champion for years.

...but, unfortunately, none of these guys have the stature as Pacquiao. Pacquiao has won titles in eight different divisions. He's by far the best pound-for-pound on the planet. As long as Pacquiao is fighting, he will eclipse all other boxers.
      "I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas

Comment

Originally posted by mvblair View Post
        I think there are a couple of very minor Filipino boxers who will fight before the Pacquiao/Mosley match. They are in the "warm up" matches. They are from Pacquiao's gym, so I'm sure that they are fighting as part of the terms of the contract between Pacquiao and Mosley.

Nenito Donaire is the other big name in Filipino boxing. He beat Dontiel and Darchinyan. Darchinyan broke Nenito's brother's jaw, so it was nice justice for Donaire to win. They're fighting again soon. He held the fly and bantam divisions at the same time.

Then there is Donnie Nietes, also known as "the snake." He's been the minimumweight champion for years.

...but, unfortunately, none of these guys have the stature as Pacquiao. Pacquiao has won titles in eight different divisions. He's by far the best pound-for-pound on the planet. As long as Pacquiao is fighting, he will eclipse all other boxers.
        dude, it's NONITO. ^_^

Donnie defended his title 3x in Mexico, but relinquished it since he's moving up in weight...

Former World Champion Rodel Mayol will be fighting in the undercard the includes Wilfredo vasquez vs Arce and Pavlik vs Alfonso Lopez

Comment

Nonito, Nenito...they're both Nitos.

So, Nietes is moving up? Hmm. Not sure if that will go well for him. Usually it's tough to move up. Of course, moving up and down in the classes seems pretty commonplace now. A lot of boxers do it, so I guess he knows what he's doing. Still, it's awfully nice to hold that minimumweight title!! Hope he gets the next one.
          "I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas

Comment

boring duel of pacquiao against mosley up until the 10th round.
            you know why I am happy

Comment

PREPARATIONS ARE in full swing for top Filipino Boxing prospect Michael "Hot 'N Spicy" Dasmarinas for his upcoming fight against Karim Guerfi of France for the International Boxing Organization (IBO) World Bantamweight crown this April 20 at the Singapore Indoor Stadium as part of Roar Of Singapore IV – Night of Champions of Ringstar Boxing. Recently, the pride of Pili, Camarines Sur displayed his strength and skills in a public workout held at the plush Kerry Sports inside Shangri-La At The Fort in Taguig City. READ MORE
              Servinio's FACEBOOK Fan Club
              Servinio's Blog of Sports
              Servinio's Official YouTube channel
              Servinio's Official TWITTER account
              Servinio's Official Instagram account

Comment

Working...
              X

Debug Information